Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

:guffaw: You pretty summed up how the real situation is.
    You're absolutely right. She must not be considered a saint the whole "she's afraid of showing her feeling..." stuff is just crap.
    Sorry E/C fans, but really think if were Delko while Calleigh was kissing Jake in front of him right few minutes later you had just told her that you have feelings for her.

No way! I wouldn't call that hiding your feelings. Nope, sorry, I just can't do that.

And I must applaude your for getting the point about fans. I should be blamed as well b/c till few weeks ago I tended to defend Calleigh's behaviour, no matter what she did, I just had to defend her 'cause she was my fav. character.
    OFC, as you can see she's not my fav. character anymore & I'm not bashing her just b/c I don't like her anymore ( I wouldn't dare to backstab her), but I did realize in these years that what she has done w/ Eric in these years w/ Jake &, later w/ the horse guy, can't be defended!
    Absolutely, this is not how your best friend/love should behave knowing that you have feelings for her & perfectly knowing that you're not that rational as you used to be.

I know what you mean b/c yeah I'm responsible of this kind of fan's behaviour. Again, I'm sorry & I totally agree w/ you.
    You can be a fan of her or also of EP, but still in these case you should know that she Calleigh Duquesne can't be defended. No way her behaviour was not normal & as you tend to judge the other femals of the show, you should judge her personal behaviour b/c, now that you listd her lovers :lol:, she's far worse than other people who have been labeled as b***h (I think you perfectly know what label is & who I was referring to :shifty: :p).

Orla OFC is an abbreviation I tend to use instead of writing "of course" ;)

2. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

Wow. Holy Calleigh-hate, Batman. I'll be the first to argue that Calleigh took her sweet friggin' time coming around to dating Eric (and unnecessarily so, whatever the reasons). Both of them would have done well to man up a little earlier on and just go for it, if that was what they wanted. But I have a hard time labelling Calleigh's behavior as cruel, and I have a hard time watching her be labelled as such for basically having a life.

Was the whole Jake situation hard on Eric? Yeah. Should she have made out with him in the middle of MDPD? Probably not -- but not because of Eric, just because its unprofessional. But she didn't kiss Jake; Jake kissed her. She certainly didn't stop him, but it wasn't like she grabbed him and jumped him in the hallway. And its been a while since I watched that episode, but if memory serves she didn't know Eric was watching her until she was IN the elevator and looked up. And what is she supposed to do then? Hop out with an "oh, I'm sorry, I just upset my coworker. I can't leave with you now, guy I'm dating." Letting your hottie former-and-now-potential boyfriend kiss you isn't cruel. It's life. It's what attractive, single women DO - although usually not in the workplace.

And its not as if Eric was blindsided by Calleigh and Jake -- they'd been building quietly the whole season, and he *knew* that. There was a previous episode (or was it in the finale that year? I can never remember quite where that convo sits) where Eric caught the tail end of a phone convo between Cal and Jake, and she pretty much told him they were trying to work out time for a date. If he'd wanted to make a move, he had time to do it before they were really together. He didn't. And at the time, even if he'd tried, she might not have gone for it -- for the reasons she outright told Eric in the finale when they were talking about her and Jake. Jake is not in the lab with her every day, Jake is different. Jake isn't technically in their department. She was very upfront with Eric about Jake, always -- they were friends, then. And for the most part, she didn't give him a lot of reason to believe they would ever be anything else.

Calleigh didn't "drop her pants for another man while figuring out" her feelings for Eric, and anyone who says that is probably shipping Cal/Eric a bit too hard to see the reality of the show. She liked Jake, she had feelings for Jake, she wanted to date *Jake.* So she did. And she didn't flaunt their relationship, she just refused to apologize for it -- and good for her! Why should she pussyfoot around Delko because she's dating someone who isn't him? She's got a man, she's dating, she's allowed. Did she have feelings for Eric? Sure, yeah. But again -- in the lab day in, day out. Calleigh has dated a lot of guys that she met at work (and how could she not? The woman is a workaholic, where else is she going to meet guys?) -- Hagen, almost Elliot, Jake -- but she's never dated anyone on her team until Eric. That seemed to be a line she didn't want to cross. Hagen and Jake were detectives, Peter Elliot worked for the Treasury. If things go south there, it doesn't put the same strain on the day-to-day work environment as two CSIs who are having problems.

And as for Calleigh and the horse trainer... I'm not sure it even warrants a response, seeing as it wasn't even really a date, and had nothing to do with her relationship with Eric or lackthereof. Again: single girl, nice guy. She's not beholden to Eric at that point; there is no reason she can't go hop on a horse and ride off into the sunset with whoever she wants. Truth be told, I'm pretty sure Calleigh would have been on that horse whether or not Eric had managed to muster up the balls to tell her what he wanted in that scene by the elevator. She wanted to ride the horse, not the trainer.

And who has been labeling Natalia the office whore? Show 'em to me. I'll give them the same rant for Natalia and then whack them up the head with something. Single people date. If they spend most of their time at work, sometimes they date coworkers. That's life, and that's okay, as long as it doesn't get in the way of people getting their jobs done, which her dates with Delko and Wolfe didn't, so... I don't see where the complaint is there. I think people just like to vilify characters who are getting in the way of what they want as viewers.

And, uh, that is the end of my rant. Which got a lot longer than I intended, but... I don't think Calleigh did any of what she did *to* Eric. She just didn't make him and his feelings the focal point of her life. And why should she have? Its not like they were dating.

3. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Can i put a word? If she wanna ride on horse, she can go in special place(i don't know how they named on english) and ride alone, cuz she like horses. BUT she go there and ride with nice guy, so she liked not only horse in that point, she like a guy too ;)

4. SomewhereApart

Oh I'm not saying she wasn't attracted to the trainer. He was a hottie, of course she was! But from everything we've been shown, it was one evening on horseback at the track. Not really a date, and it never went anywhere. And we haven't seen any evidence that Calleigh intended for it to be anything more than that, so I wouldn't argue that Calleigh did it as a reaction to what had happened earlier with Eric, or for any other reason than the ones we were given -- she hadn't been on a horse in a long time, and a guy with access to horses (a cute guy, no less!) invited her to come ride with him.

5. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Yeah, and she still have his phone number, just on case that Russian mob would follow him :rolleyes:

6. SomewhereApart

Y'know, that scene always bugged me, because I have so many numbers in my phone of people that I never talk to -- but I needed the number once or twice, so its in my phone. Old coworkers, a friend of a friend that I met once and was going to have coffee with but didn't, business contacts I never used. I don't think I know anyone who regularly goes through their contact list and cleans out numbers they haven't used lately. That usually only happens when you get a new phone or have an afternoon with nothing to do. heh

7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I don't want to jump in the middle of a war, but I just want to clarify one thing, which may wasn't that clear as lot of us non-e/c shipper thought.

I've read a debate on the horse guy or on Calleigh sleeping w/ other boys while she shouldn't have done it or even worse whether she should be labeled as "office whores" or not, but I'm pretty sure that MJ's post (honey correct me if I'm wrong) was just a rant over the people who are still defending Caleligh Duquesne, no matter what she does.
    I perfectly know that as fans, we tend to defend our fav. character, no matter what he/she does do. He/she can kill a person & still lots of his/her fans would be able to defend him/her!

It shouldn't be like this. What I think she was trying to say is that.....hello people of course wasn't hiding her feelings since she was too afraid to show them when she kissed Jake Berkley in the lab right in front of Eric. You can't claim she was there confused.....not especially once you know that she preferred spending 5 days in Antigua w/ a man, who, OFC, wasn't the right one, instead of thinking of Delko & his feelings. For god's sake he just told her that he was in love w/ her & she perfectly knew that that wasn't even the best way to show his feeling knowing that he clearly has some communication problem, you just can't kiss another boy pretending Delko will never hate you for what you have just done.

At least, that's how I think a mature woman like Calleigh Duquesne should have behaved in "Born To Kill". And yeas she used to be my fav. character & I can't say that I hate her, just she disappointed me w/ these kind of behaviour & it is useless, IMHO, to say that she did what she did b/c she was afraid of showing her true feeling for a co-worker.
    From personal experience, that's not how you behave when you're afraid of showing your true feelings ;)

Sorry, just needed to clarify at least my position, which, IMHO, is the same ones as the others you've been debating w/.

Orla, you're welcome :D

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

That is a very valid point about the phone number of the horse trainer. But the stalkerazi photo sure didn't help her case to Eric, and IMHO made her look a bit guilty since actions speak louder than words. But photos also capture a moment and there have been a lot which have caused issues in relationships and life itself. And the way it comes off to me is that she didn't want to tell him that she was hanging out with other guys...and I've seen girls who have guys friend and not tell the guy they are dating and it doesn't always end well. Eric did handle it well but then again he has done his own sneaking with his father.

Like meeting up in secret or interfering with the investigation of why his father was at the crime scene. Especially thinking that driving the get away vehicle would keep him and his father out of harms and the laws way. It's a bit odd that he would put his job on the line to help someone who only came out of the woodwork to keep him from being deported.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I read your post Somewhere Apart, & I'm not ignoring you, so let me just say that I read it & I understand your point of view, I just don't agree with it, so that's why I'm kinda skipping it & going on to this new conversation. Oh & the "Holy Calleigh-hate, Batman" cracked me up :lol: but on a more serious note, I do not enjoy feeling this way about her. I really don't. This was never the impression I had with her in the beginning of the series or even in the first part of e/c exploring. It's just sadly come down to this with everything they've shown us in the last few seasons.

Anyway, onto Horsedude :p
    First off, I didn't ever consider it an actual date. However, what sorta peeved me was that earlier in the scene she had given Eric this lame excuse as to why she didn't meet up with everyone at the bar. I just got more of the impression that she was avoiding Eric in particular. Call it "avoiding her feelings" or whatever - I just find it pretty rude after all this time passed & she still was so stinking wishywashy. Then she acts all "charmed" by this fellow horseman conviently after Eric wouldn't give her the answer she wanted to hear (which BTW I absolutely hated that she threw the ball back in his court when it was always in HERS). :rolleyes:

SO, what exactly was the point of horsedude anyway?
    This is what I have yet to figure out. Where were tptb going with it?
    I mean, it didn't turn into anything (so we assume) & all it did was leave Eric to question her about him, & again it didn't amount to anything. I don't really see any significant point in the use of this guy, unless we just haven't seen it yet. :confused:

My thing about the number being in her phone though is this:
    Calleigh already knew where to locate him -- there at the stables, so why did she need his number to begin with? I'll just assume that after their "ride" he gave it to her & she programmed it into her phone never deleting it, but still it does indicate that she may have wanted to see him again, & somewhere other than at the stables, otherwise she wouldn't have needed his phone number.
    If it were me & I had no intentions of seeing him again then I'd have walked away thinking "so long big fella, I liked the horse, not you" & then immediatly erased the number.
    I guess we're supposed to chalk it off as Calleigh just being forgetful.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Honestly her overall character sucks and comes off, to me anyways, as a bit untrustworthy. Telling Eric she had the desire to go for a ride on a horse would not have been far fetched, he would have understood and the photo and number wouldn't have been such a dramatic deal, but she choose to disclose the details and brush the whole thing off as nothing. I too think that it wasn't what is considered a date, but to someone just seeing the photo it does. Still being shady to brush off the number instead of saying it's incase I want to hang out with a horse again would have been easy, and very in character for her.

In all honesty this "other guy" thing is just annoying, as well as having co-workers dating. Plus I have a feeling that H knows something....he did say more would be revealed when he went to the robbery at the warehouse. I think H has more information in his head than he lets on and has a very good idea what is going on...but does not want to cause another rift in the team as they are still healing from previous incidents.

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Since it's apparent that the shit is starting to hit the fan, I've decided to give the thread a bump to unclog the spoiler thread.

So in the premiere Delko will face death another time, more dreadful e/c scenes to painfully sit through, which, of course that means less team interaction & short screentime for others, but of course loads of drama & yet another pity-party for Calleigh. Isn't it just fu**ing fantastic. :rolleyes:

To respond off some of the posts made in the spoiler thread, I have to disagree that this e/c relationship is so strong ..& serious (serious? seriously!) that Eric would rely on her to make his medical decisions.....goood looord. It has squat to do with trust, or that they've always been friends, or that they (namely Eric) see a future wedding *cue major eye-rolling*......it has everything to do with tptb purposely putting Calleigh in the position to make the decision so that it brings on the damn drama for her.....I'm so incredibly sick to death of it. Cry me a fuckin' river.

12. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Interesting analogy, mjszud. Specially since onions tend to make some of us [​IMG]. Nuff said.

13. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

I can understand your frustration with the too many EC scenes, but if you love someone and he's facing death yet again, wouldnt you wanna be by his side? The guy's head over heels for her and dreams of living with her the rest of his life, who else is he gonna give permission to make his choice?

Plus, you guys talk about how much you hate having to sit down and watch them kiss and weep together and how disgusting it is, if it is that way, just don't watch it.

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^^ You have your opinion & that's fine, but I don't need direction in whether or not to watch this show. I have my reasons why I still tune in & I don't need to explain them. ;)

That's not the point. The point is that they're still continuing to drag this shit out as if it's the center of the show. I don't give a crap how in love they're supposed to be -- it doesn't belong on a crime show, plain & simple! Lovey-dubby relationships are fine & dandy to throw in every once in a while, but this has gone on long enough. There is very little time left in the series & they've barely managed to touch base on the other characters.
    They've wasted the last few seasons exploring & throwing together e/c while the others sat back with nothing. There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, this is not a soap opera & it definitly does not need to continue to revolve around Eric & Calleigh or thier romance. At this rate they're going, tptb will never have the time to properly develop Ryan & Natalia before the series ends.....not when there's e/c & thier romantic drama being forced into all the episodes!

We never know what CBS will do with these shows, we don't know how much time they have left & they could be cancelled before we know it. I for one will be highly pissed off if this show has to end with no development on the other characters all because they've wasted so much time with this romantic storyline. It needs to end. There is no reason why there HAS to be a romantic couple living happy-go-lucky on a crime show!
    I'm not saying relationships aren't fun to watch...I have my favorites too, but I sure as hell don't go for it when it disrupts the entire show, manipulates every one of it's characters, & more importantly, pushes the other characters on the backburner all to make room for a romance!

15. Mrs.DelkoWolfe

Mrs.DelkoWolfe Lab Technician

Every storyline and every character has a purpose in a show but wait (Long Horatio pause) THERE IS NO PURPOSE TO THE EC STORYLINE!

There are many reasons why I dislike this so called "romance" but first I'll start off slow. First Calliegh has never been that close to Eric. Starting from season 1 we see that Eric is closer to Speed more than any one else, but he is also very close to Horatio who calls him brother (forshadowing much) during an episode (sorry I can't remember the title). Calliegh on the other hand is his friend but she is very closed off, not to mention that she was dating John Haugen and I think to a certain extent liked Speed.

Now skipping to season 3 after Speed dies we see that Horatio and Eric are now even closer and Horatio during another episode call Eric brother and the bond between them is deep and strong. Calliegh though still a friend is still very closed off and in fact Calliegh at times seems closer to Ryan, Frank, and Horatio than she does Eric, and she was still dating John Haugen.

Now skip to season 4 ...let me say this first to make it clear ERIC COULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN LOVE OR COULD HAVE LIKED CALLIEGH BECAUSE HE LIKED AND POSSIBLY WAS IN LOVE WITH NATALIA. Calliegh couldn't have liked Eric because she was on and off with Peter Elliot! Now sure Eric and Natalia weren't exclusive but that was because she just came out of an abusive relationship and was scared and that is understandable. However the chemistry between the two was undeniable. :thumbsup:

Now on to season 5 where in the midist of reconciliation of Eric and Natalia boom Eric gets shot. Then due to his brain now being screwed up all of a sudden on friendly kiss on the cheek from Calliegh turns in a love sotry/future marriage soap opera...but wait there's more CALLIEGH WAS GOING OUT WITH AND WAS IN LOVE WITH JAKE SO THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL SHE LIKED ERIC!! Sure she stared at him from the elevator knowing how he felt, but guess what she went on vacation with JAKE anyway! :scream:

Then season six when Calliegh put on the veil good lord give me a break with the vision of a wedding shit! Once again it's from the bullet in his head. That was just one of his delusions. Not to mention that Calliegh was still on and off with Jake.:rolleyes:

Now for the big whampy of soap opera, mellow drama, storyline that has taken over and ruined the show. Season 7 just because Jake didn't do what Calliegh wanted him to do she now suddenly likes Eric! Give me a flippin break! Not to mention that even after hs knew how Eric felt she went out on a romantic date with the horse-dude anyway! What kind of friend and potential girlfriend is that!? And then you see poor Eric leaving her a gift and calling her and her phone is miles away from where she is! Obviously she dosen't love him! The season was just one big soap opera that could take The Young and The Restless for a good run for best daytime soap opera! :scream:

The fact that Eric and Calliegh had to be shown doing couple like things and being a couple shows that there is no chemistry! If there was such chemistry between the characters and between EP/AR then why were they told to play up the romance? Obviously there is no such chemistry (mind you I'm not blaimg the actors). It's all forced and phoney.:scream:

IMO Calliegh has toyed with Eric and enough is enough. Sure she supposedly trusts him and blah blah blah...but if she trust him so much why be so damn insecure with him having a relationship with his biological father!? Calliegh also in that instance is a HYPOCRITE! How can she whole-heartedly, and honestly ridicule some one she supposedly loves for helping their father when in season 3 she told her father to take another drink because she knows the breathalizer test won't work if he recently took a drink! At the time she want to get her father out of a DUI/Murder charge...Eric wants to help his father out of danger. How big of a hypocrite could she be!? I'll tell you she's an ENOURMOUS one!:scream: At least she had her biological dad in her life. She should be supporting Eric in this attempt to build a bridge with his dad, but I guess Eric latched onto the wrong woman for that! :scream:

I feel sorry for Adam's character because of how much of a depandant puppy he has become due to the bullet and Calliegh toying with his emotions!:( Calliegh only cares about her wants in this relationship and when she dosen't get what she wants she gives up and throws a fit. Not to mention she always has to be right about everything!:rolleyes: I was quite ticked off when Calliegh asked Eric if he knew hs father (sharova) when she apparently didn't know her own father because he kept lying to her and she kept going for it. How can she trust Eric when she has to see his phone? I'm sorry but just because he's dating her dosen't mean he has to report to her like she's a drill sargent or his mother! :scream:

I'm sick of people saying that Eric got what he deserved beacuse he lied to Calliegh...that is complete BS. Just because he didn't tell her about hanging out with his dad and trying to help (even if it is wrong) but guess what he dosen't have to! Eric is a grown man and dosen't need Calliegh's approval before, during, or after he makes a decision. :scream:

Calliegh treats him like he is a medical condition and a puppy constantly throwing his bullet injury in his face and constantly highlighting his mistakes and not even in a way to help him improve. Calliegh point blank brings out the worst in Eric. :(

I hate to get shippy here but comparing this "relationship" to Eric's relationship with Natalia I have to say (for Eric's sake and dignity) that his relatonship with Natalia was much better by far! Natalia supported him and got him to think...she boosted his self-esteem and self-confidence.

For example when Eric was about to not show up at Marisol and Horatio's wedding Natalia got him to think she knew Marisol wanted to be happy and she knew Eric wanted the same thing. Calliegh on the other hand, for being such a great friend:rolleyes:, though Marisol was his girlfriend and told him point blank that he needs to handle things with Marisol on his own time before he looses respect! Yeah thanks for the vote of confidence!:rolleyes: She dosen't even wait to get the facts she just jumps to a conclusion! :scream:

Another example shall we Throwing Heat...Eric protects a woman from being beat up by her husband when Natalia here the story she supports him and boots his self-esteem and self-confidence by telling him point blank "Your a good guy Eric". :thumbsup:

Now sure Calliegh does offer him legal help, but since they've been dating all Calliegh has told him is how wrong he is and how he's being a bad guy, even though she has never said those exact phrases it's there and that is the gist of her argument! Now with season 8 comming up she's in charge of all his medical decisions!:wtf::eek: Come on TPTB why would Eric leave his well being to the woman that toyed with his emotions, caused him to be back in the hospital, underminds him and ridicules him!? :confused: Give the decision to Horatio some who is his brother and who appreciates him!

I really hope the relationshp ends after this and that once the bullet is rmoved that Eric goes back to being the smooth, sweet talking, confident, macho, sexy, womanizer he was because that is the Eric Delko I know and love! It's time to move on from the soap opera and bring back the true CSI: Miami. Eric and Calliegh are a match made in hell so lets please stop hurting the characters, as well as the show! :scream:

They have NOT been seven years in the making the "relationship" is the dependant reaction due to a bullet injury! There is no real chemistry or romance! I just will continue to hope and pray that TPTB ends the relationship and as soon as possible!:scream:

Sorry for the rant but I think that a presentation of the facts is long overdue and the truth just needs to be said!

C.H.E.A.R as for your comment/question
    I also address this in my presentation/rant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.