What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steph_r

steph_r Witness

Currently forcing my way through Catch-22. Despite its apparent popularity, i'm not impressed :(

2. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

Percy Jackson Series!

The gods still exist in the 21st century...

Okay, so there's this teen named Percy Jackson and he has ADHD and dyslexia. He's been kicked out of school...too many times 'cause he always ends up blowing up stuff. Later, he discovers he's the son of Poseidon (so he's a half-blood) and that monsters from the Greek legends are out to kill all half-bloods...He meets Annabeth Chase (daughter of Athena) and Grover Underwood (a satyr) and they go on quests together to save the Western World from Cronos, the Titan-god that resurrected... who's plotting the downfall of...

In the final book, The Last Olympian, when Percy turns 16, the fate of the Western World and of the Olympians depend on his grave choice...

3. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i think i'm the last person in the world to be starting the Harry Potter series. yeah it took me this long to read them. right now i am on "The Goblet of Fire." i am obsessed with these books now i love them!!! i feel like a little kid reading these they're so much fun. i really wanna be a witch and go to Hogwarts lol.

in between reading the HP books i read a book about the making of "Singin in the Rain." the book was soo freakin awesome!! i am a movie freak so anything about the making of a movie i love. "Singin in the Rain" is one of my all time fave movies so reading about the filming and the acting and the dancing was so awesome to read about. i loved reading about Jean Hagen who played Lina Lamont (she was really a brunette but she auditioned with a blonde wig so the producers told her to keep her blonde hair for the movie; the voice over for Lina that Kathy is supposed to be doing is really Jean Hagen dubing Debbie Reynolds dubbing for Lina.) it makes watching the movie so much more interesting. i will definitely be reading this book again.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care. it was a very good, a real page turner.
    It's the story of a family dealing with the stress of a child with brittle, bone disease and how a lawsuit started by the mom rips them apart.

I didn't like the ending, however. But I won't give it away.

5. lila

lila Victim

I liked that one, too. A few weeks ago I read "The Pact" also written by Jodi Picoult. That was good too. It's about an apparent suicide pact between two teenagers. Their families have been friends for a really long time and they are now searching for answers why this happened. It's very emotinal and about what true love means.

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I've just finished reading "The Da Vinci Code" I wanted to reread because first time i read it i kinda i felt i read it to fast an rereading realised how good it is and how much it gets you thinking and i love the art history part takes me back to being an art student at college.

And now i'm reading "Angels and Demons" I couldnt remember if i actually read it or not because i never read the last 2 in the series but now i'm reading i realised i did read most of it. On a stretch to read them all been on a bit of a kick recently and the whole da vinci and the illuminati really fascinates me which means i annoy my mum saying oooh guess what.

7. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

^^"Angels and Demons" is one of my all time fave books. i could not put this book down when i first read it. i love learning about the Vatican and Rome so i quite enjoyed it. since this book i have become obsessed with symbology/ iconography in art.... i'm an art history major.

i finished reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" the other day and now i'm on "Order of the Phoenix"

8. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I'm reading The Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen. Actually it's not a trilogy anymore. She published the fourth book in the series last month. I hope to buy it soon.

Anyway, the Trilogy was written in the 80's and I read them when I was a kid. They're still good.

I really should reread HP: Half-Blood Prince. The new movie's coming out soon-ish. A refresher would be nice.

9. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I finished Angels and Demons last night and loved it, managed to end up finishing it when i was only going to read a few chapters.

Next stop is Deception Point which is definately one i havent read in his series after realised I had read angels and demons just never finished it.

10. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I started the no1 ladies detective agency: The miracle at speedy motors but my best friend stole it:lol:
    atm i am reading my best friends girl by dorothy koomson

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

keep going, it's an incredible book!

recently i read tess of the d'urbervilles (thomas hardy) and les miserables (victor hugo) having put them off for years - i don't know why i was putting them off, i loved other thomas hardy stuff, and as a francophile i've always liked hugo too. both of them were *amazing*, i loved them.

anyway, in a similar vein, i'm currently reading the grapes of wrath and it, too, is *amazing*, i'm loving it. steinbeck is such a great writer, i like his work anyway and it's just really good, i can't put it down.

12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

We've come to the end of the thread, so a new thread can be found here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.