The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I would have liked to have seen Catherine and Grissom as a couple, but I think the idea of the leading characters in a romantic relationship has been done to death and perhaps that is why they were never put together.

Ditto. Agreed 100 percent:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

myfuturecsi, I agree about Cath and Gil. I think they would be awesome as a couple. That is a relationship that I actually saw evolve on the show. But the leads falling for eachother wouldn't have worked in my eyes. But they are the most realistic relationship that I can think of on the show, though.

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yeah they had chemistry :) I'm somewhat happy that they never were together, even I would have liked that (if that makes sense). I mean I guess I would have had enough of them, when they would have been a couple. Everything would have focused on them as the leading relationship... And I like it that way because there is still room for fantasies :D

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

This is my question. How can there not be a discussion if they're gay or not? I got in trouble because I said the characters on CSI are not gay. This is an established fact. I didn't establish it, tptb did. By saying that I'm not saying you can't slash whoever you want. Go ahead. I don't slash or ship anyone, but I do read slash and have written a slash fanfic and a ship one too. I'm all for it and it's interesting to see some of the pairings, whether het, gay or lesbian. :wtf: :shifty:

I'm all for people shipping and slashing who they want, but if the slashers can say the characters are gay then people should be able to say they're not gay.

I read the rules and will abide by them, but if I say I don't see the Nick/Greg pairing or Catherine/Sara pairing because they're not gay or lesbian, I'm stating something that is established on the show. If I say it's because I don't think they're gay, it's because they aren't gay or lesbian on the show.

I guess what I'm trying to say if someone says the couple isn't gay how can that mean that no one can slash or ship a couple? Or that I'm saying that no one can slash a couple?

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just think shippers and slashers can say what they want (not about bashing, flaming, whatnot about a poster) but non-shipper/slashers can't.

We're told to keep all ship and slash talk in shipper central and I agree, but if there is a thread for, say, GSR shouldn't there be a thread that's non-GSR? A thread for Smacked and a thread for non-Smacked?

I've read in a slash thread, how everyone who doesn't see that the two guys are gay should get their heads examined. Really? Cause I could say the same thing about them.

We have one thread to debate ships and slashes, but we can't really say how we feel for fear of retribution and getting in trouble. I'd really like threads were you could 'bash' (for lack of a better word) a ship or slash, because sometimes you just have too. I mean I've had a slash shoved down my throat and I can't begin to tell you who much I dread those two characters being on screen together and a ship for that matter.

I do see what you're saying too, Kinkapoodles. You're just trying to keep the peace and like I said I'll follow the rules, to make your life easier, but I just had to get this off my chest.

5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Read and understood.

My thing with Nick/Greg is that I've seen them as purely brothers. In some instances that is what you can write "Nick/Greg" as. But grammar has nothing to do with shipping, so I'm moving on. :)

Catherine/Grissom I never really saw as sibling-y. I thought of them as a possible couple in season one, but after that I just never really noticed. I see them as really good friends, even if that relationship sort of drifted away in parts of more recent seasons.

6. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

If my opinion matters, I completely agree with the speedy. Not to cause problems or anything but, it makes total sense to me, I just never posted it. Is there anyway of establishing an anti- thread?

7. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well at least Speedy got it into the right words :) I would have struggled with that. What she says makes sense and I also don't know why there isn't a thread where we can just write about why we don't ship certain ships??? I'd like that, even I'm sure we'll never get one...

8. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Speedy, Kimbo, and NickyFan -- I understand where you guys are coming from. I really do. I don't mean to reply just as a Nick/Greg fan, but if you want to discuss this, then know that this thread will probably end up getting shut down again. If you guys think talking about this issue is worth the thread getting shut down (probably very quickly), then I suppose that's your prerogative, but, personally, I would rather we moved the conversation away from that.

As a straight person, conversations about whether characters are LGBT don't make me uncomfortable, but I can definitely understand how such comments could be hurtful and stigmatizing to others. I know you guys aren't homophobes, but that doesn't mean that others couldn't still feel discriminated against by comments about characters' sexualities.

I think that if talking about this issue is really, really important to you guys, then you can probably find another board on which to do so outside of this forum. Also, judging by trends on this thread and how much tension seems to run around on here, I'm sure such conversation gets very problematic and/or stressful for the mods. They're nice enough to put up with all of our shippy bickering, so let's give them a break and not push this issue again.

For now, why don't we just move the conversation back to other ships? It's not like there is a shortage of non-slash ships, or a shortage of other issues to bring up in discussion of slash ships.

I know a few of you guys really like Nick/Mandy. What makes that ship special to you guys? What do you think are the best parts of that relationship (other than Nick's adorable singing voice :lol:)? When do you imagine they would have gotten together?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  9. seabird

seabird CSI Level One

Why it's always the SAME people saying the SAME things against the SAME ships over and over and over again?

I didn't like GSR at all but I never felt the need to ask for a new thread just to bash this ship and their fans. That's just asking for troubles, IMO.

10. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

We're merely discussing alternatives so that the thread does not get shut down. I enjoy this thread just as much as the next poster, I just don't want to get flamed or in turn, hurt anyone's feelings about a ship because they came into a thread expecting one thing, but get bombarded with something else.

I totally understand you wanting to keep the peace, happyharper. Thumbs up to you for that cause I completely agree. :)

11. happyharper13

I don't think anyone is bashing. Everyone sees and/or agrees with different ships. Let's just try to tone it down on all sides ;) (I hope I'm not overstepping here.)

12. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Back on topic!

I was talking with fellow CSI fans the other day and they brought up the ship of Sara/Warrick. All I could say was, WTF? I never, ever saw them as a couple. As far as I could tell Sara disliked Warrick and Warrick disliked her the same. Maybe some see that as sexual tension? I see it as fueding friends fighting for attention, not a couple. Anyone else agree or disagree?

13. happyharper13

I actually kind of like Sara/Warrick. I'm not sure if Sara would be good for Warrick, but I honestly think that Warrick, more than any other character (save maybe Greg or Cath) could have helped Sara find more balance in her life. I think that Warrick was the character that Sara most needed to be more like. I honestly think (JF's reasons for leaving aside), that Sara would not have burnt out had she been with someone like Warrick who was able to separate his life from the job. Plus I think they would have made a hot couple. Warrick, to me, has been the character that has best embodied the potential perfect boyfriend. He's smooth, he has a life, he's smart, he's an incredibly loyal friend, he has social skills (definitely enough to put Grissom's to shame), he's someone who raised himself up by his bootstraps and he's drop-dead gorgeous to boot. I'd rather have Sara with Warrick than pretty much any other male character, except maybe Greg. Still, I think Warrick belongs with Catherine.

14. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

WARRICK BELONGS WITH CATHERINE?! No truer words were ever spoken! :)

Maybe it's because Warrick and Sara were too much alike. Maybe that's why I can't see them together. They both, IMO, were the most screwed up of the bunch, with their family issues and weaknesses for braking the law. Both of them were in a general downward spiral. Like maybe, they would destroy each other...too extreme?

Other than that, I generally agree with what happy said about Warrick's character. Maybe I'm wrong and their alikeness would have worked?

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Nobody's bashing as far as I can see. In fact, I think we are discussing why some ships work and why some don't.

No truer words were spoken!

Why do I like Mandy and Nick? In the past few seasons, I don't think anyone on the show has made Nick break into as much of a smile as Mandy does.

Smile

And they just have this wonderful, warm-hearted chemistry together and I love how Mandy will say some whacky things that leave Nick almost befuddled looking.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.