Grade 'Greater Good'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 6, 2009.

?

How would you grade Greater Good?

1. A+

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. A

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. B

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. C

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Unfortunately, it seems like the case at least as much as not. I mean you can probably count their extended exchanges on two hands, and half of them are recognizably bitchy on her part, or at best, debatable so.

I'm inclined to disagree. If Mac is the person we can assume they are both the closest to in the world, then I'm required to believe that what we see of Danny and Lindsay's relationship really does all play out on screen. They mostly only see each other while working, because thats when all their "moments", occur and their dramas play out. But in believing that I'm struggling to see by what right this baby should have been conceived at all. They can't have it both ways. Either this relationship is going on a LOT, behind the scenes or it's not and making your boss your child's god parent makes a lot of sense because that work place is your whole life.

Any believability these two have a couple requires my assumption that they have a much richer life outside of the bits that we see in canon and if that is the case I should think there is a close common friend of some kind for these two outside of their workplace.

+ at least 1 brother for Flack.

+ Danny's Mom is still around and lives in the area. Whom he still visits with some frequency.

We also know Adam never had any sisters.

I guess we can all assume what we prefer because neither really makes sense with the timeline.

I too thought Danny was speaking about his own side of the family, without including Lindsay's. Mostly because I still don't picture him knowing that much about her side of the family. The scene where he blurted out a first proposal kind of set that in my mind. Plus the Monroe's seem so unimportant to this story where the mother herself is in the backseat.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

HI fans, I have rencently watched the last week's episode and this week's and these stories rip over my all time fav. CSI/VEGAS, some of them in S/9, have been deplorable, This was riveting form the beginning to the end. The dad who took the blame for his daughter in the car accident Charles Dumott I think was his name great actor, but Mac holding on like a dog with a bone, knowing he wasn't the one who hit the girl on the bike. Also Mare Winningham, wow, [haven't seen her in a while] as the distraught mom. And how finally the daughter came forth and admitted the real story, who it would have destroyed her career as a doctor. And I know diddly about the relationship between Danny and Lindsay, however what I did observe, was that although seeminly different they're wild and crazy in love, and the baby part was so sweet, with the whole team at her bedside, and asking Mac to be the godfather. Excellent story:bolian:

3. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I'm not too sure how things are done your side of the pond but certainly in the Uk having up to 4 godparents is pretty common. That was my original point in terms of them seemingly having a lot of men (brothers) to choose from then it would've made more sense for them to ask Stella as I'm assuming a lack of female family members (of course the brother's thing is dependent on whether Lindsay does in fact have 3 brother's or whether Danny was referring to his uncles). I'm basing all my thoughts on them having more than one godparent, but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying Mac is the closest to them in the world, but I think he's the common thread between them in terms of work. I don't think enough time has been invested to develop Lindsay much beyond her relationships with Danny and Mac, whereas Danny has established and developing relationships with all the other characters.

The whole issue about their outside of work relationship is always going to come into question because of their relationship being portrayed in terms of their jobs. NY's modus operandi is that of character development and investment in the 'team'. It's completely unrealistic. I doubt any workplace really has that many inter-office friendships and relationships. I have a number of close friends who I've worked with at some point, but certainly not all of them. Plus, most of my friendships have developed more since we've stopped working together than they did while we were working together.

To be honest, while I really enjoyed the team moments in this episode if I think about it too much then I'd be joining those who were rolling their eyes and questioning who was actually at work. While 'they' as you say, can't have it both ways, neither can we. Either tptb portray a realistic angle on working relationships and we lose the emphasis on the characters and their personal struggles, or we continue to get great moments between the team members but call into question whether any of them has a life outside the lab. Mostly I watch with a pinch of salt. If I don't then I'll stop enjoying the show and probably won't want to watch anymore. :)

4. Zipster

Zipster Witness

I have to say I don't get the Lindsey hatred I'm sensing in this thread and in this forum from a lot of you guys, I actually think it's a shame but each to their own.

I also think that those who are really anti-Lindsey are a little biased by the brush off she gave Adam. The guy can be just silly with words - and tbh, if her waters broke, and he's doing his usual jibber-jabba - she was quite polite to him! I like Adam's character for that very reason. Lindsey to me seems a lot less irritating then Sarah was in CSI:LV season 1/2 - I never gelled with her character till season 3, but I'm not trying to undermine other people's feelings over Lindsey -just that occasionally I'd like to read a thread where it isn't all about how much you dislike Lindsey!

I digress...

A+ great episode, nice story and some nice investigation too.

So far I've really enjoyed this season and it's nice to see Mac a little happy again. Was also nice to see him talking about his wife. With any luck we'll see his wife's son in Season 6!

Z
    :p

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I don't think i've ever seen a more predictable case.
    There's two major reasons why somebody would lie to protect the driver. Fear or love. Mac jumped to the conclusion that it was fear. Me I figured it was love from the start. (and no, I'm not a parent, but I am a daughter)
    And another thing. Mac said that the guy got an extra 15 months because he was texting? Why on earth if they were going to lie, why not just say that the daughter was the passenger and that she was the one texting?

I wish that that storyline had come up after the birth, and then Mac could have been his usual pissy judgemental self, and Danny could have told him that he'd do the same for his Lydia/Lucy. In fact, Danny would have been a much better person to have taken the case, because he could have also bonded with the hitman hiring mom over what it's like to lose somebody you love, could have empathized with her and say he'd wanted revenge on the guys who took out his brother (and provide us with some much needed continuity into the bargain!)

And was all that evidence processing done 2 years earlier, or only in the last few months when Mac had his sudden car accident related Nirvana? I mean, if the guy was admitting his guilt and not contesting the charge, would they still have done such a thorough work up?

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I've yet to see a thread where the ALL the posts are ALL about people disliking Lindsay. Even the WLMG thread has posts by people who like her.

7. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Since he said "my mom had two boys, her mom had three boys" for whatever reason I took that as his maternal grandmother have three boys along with his mother. But I guess you could be right.

8. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

^^I think the bag was actually in her office, not the hallway. And I don't think a lab coat really covers the evidence of the water breaking that well, because it's usually all down your pants, and lab coats usually cover the shirt.

Although you could be onto something...

As far as Adam jibbering at Lindsay- I'm pretty sure he didn't notice that her water broke. After watching that scene a couple times, I'm pretty sure that he never actually lookied down at what she was wearing, so I don't think he would've noticed.

But I also see Lindsay's comment as a freaked out mother who just went into an unexpected labor. Well, I mean, the labor was expected, just not at that moment. I feel that's fairly consistent with how most people would react... especially if they were a first time mother.

Ceindreadh, I was wondering that too. All the evidence was processed recently (as Mac hinted at with his chat with Flack), but I also would think that maybe there would be some sort of investigation. Especially in an accident with death resulting. Who knows.

9. roximonoxide

That's true, she's been under-developed and reasons as to why are largely theoretical on all parts. But Danny has had considerable out-of-work expansion too, probably more than most. I just can't help but think: wouldn't a common confidant between them in their personal lives say new and interesting things about them? Bring more substance to their relationship that they're trying to sell me as being on solid ground? It was another shunned chance at supporting some of their claims about the foundation of Danny and Lindsay's relationship. Unless of course there is no such person, in which case I'm still just as confused as I was in seasons two and three about what the hell was going on with these two and that leaves me frustrated with the delivery of this story. :(

At the same time, choosing the head of the crime lab, because this the story of a super hero team and their leader is their guiding light from the lab to the bedroom says some tacky things about the writing, that I'm not yet willing to believe the show has sunk to, however naive that might be.

That doesn't really excuse the fact that other relationships have been suggested and alluded to with so much more clarity than Danny and Lindsay. Not all of them of course, others have fallen short here too. I just mean it's something the writers & actors have been successful with through other inter-office relationships, so I have to wonder what Danny and Lindsay lack that can't sell this for me.

You're right, they do like to enforce that team dynamic stuff, but these suggestions are important especially if they ever want me to connect to a character like Lindsay, who coming from so far away feels like she has no story when she clocks out. For example we'll probably never meet Sheldon's uncle Frank, but it helps his believability as a character just to know he isn't cryogenically frozen between shift at the lab. It strikes me as yet another avoided opportunity to make her three dimensional. And if she has abandoned other relationships in her life when she came to NY, that's a potentially interesting thing to expand upon too that's also being ignored.

I actually think if they were more realistic about the portrayal of their working relationships we'd have a lot more emphasis on their personal struggles and see less of them being defined as Team Taylor: a self sustaining entity, especially now that they're reproducing amongst themselves. I'm as willing to suspend my disbelief as most, but when you add all these things up, these grains of salt are starting to make the whole dish unpalatable. :p

I took it to mean his maternal grandmother too. Now I wish that line had been more clear. :p

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'm new on this but I like Lindsay, she's cute, thoughtful seems to know her work really well, and loves Danny. why don't fans like her? just wondering because I'm not an old timer like all of you are, NY that is:confused:

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'd check out the four "Why Lindsay Must Go" threads. There are plenty of explanations as to why people don't like her.

12. roximonoxide

^ I'd really rather not see this entire thread start rehashing reasons for that which don't at least stem from this particular episode, so I'd like to point you towards the Why Lindsay Must Go Thread where I think the debate is pretty well articulated and balanced, lately in particular.

13. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Most of you have already posted your thoughts and mine are pretty much the same..

Avery predictable storyline. Yes recycled from CSI Vegas. But done in a way that 'only Mac can' You know, I LOVE MAC but seeing him like this, very obsessed was a bit disturbing. Wasn't it Mac that has the theory that 'every thing is connected?" Why didn't he see that the daughter was in the car? And several people have said this (I'm sorry if I don't mention your name) that if it were anyone else, ie; Stella Mac would have blown a gasket. But, someone else mentioned that it was a set up for when Stella does break some rules and walks out on him. Which as a Mac/Stella shipper is going to be good see. Her standing up to him because she seems to be the only person who can.

Secondly, I CAN'T BELIEVE no one else has mentioned this, RUBEN SANDOVAL was killed while he was riding his bike. Why wasn't HE mentioned among the Ghost Riders?? I guess that would have to bring up Danny's past and Rikki Sandovol and we can't have that now when Lindsay is giving birth to his baby. Sorry for the rant, I took some allergy meds and they are just now kicking in. :eek:

Overall, pretty predicable. Good delivery by Mare Winningham and Charles Dutton. I like the part when Mare says she said she felt bad because it consumed her. That was the best part of the episode.

I guess it felt like a let down of sorts after last weeks PHENOMONAL episode. Grade : C

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Is the Ghostrider thing real or something manufactured for the show. It was presented in a way that made me think it was real but only applied to people hit by vehicles. Since Ruben was shot and died in the alley I guess you could say that he didn't qualify. Or maybe he did and yes, it fell into the abyss of things that shall not be mentioned again. I did think Mac was a bit over the top on this one, like a dog with a bone. But for me, the storyline was more of a crash course in parenting to prepare Mac for the grey areas of raising a child, since he is the godfather to Lucy/Lydia. (I'll be so glad when they settle on a name)

15. roximonoxide

I wondered that about the "ghost riders" after watching the ep myself. I didn't do any hardcore journalism mind you, but I dug this up pretty easily.

Ghost Bikes Article at NYMag.com

In regards to what else you were saying I'm curious as to why you feel Mac is the one who needs to be prepared for child rearing here.