Why Lindsay Must Go, Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 22, 2009.

1. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

danny said in 5x16 or smwhere bout that that she was 7 months pregnant. so she probs wouldnt be able to fly. but im not complainin about reality at least we get a break from her for a couple of epis :lol:

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

In singleton pregnancies, with no known problems, many airlines (but not all) will allow pregnant passengers up to 36 weeks, some even longer with a medical certificate.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

[​IMG]

:p I kid, I kid. Honestly, I can accept that they took creative license with that because they needed to write Anna out for a few episodes. It's not nearly as annoying as the creative license they took to say she and Danny can still work together now, but that's a different matter entirely.

ETA: And because I'm slow, Elsie posted before me, thus making my Earth Logic error message slightly less amusing because her post includes Earth Logic. :p Darn you, computer, why must you be so slow? :lol:

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:lol: I'm still amused. I love the Earth Logic error message, very apt.

5. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I realise that the had to write Lindsay out of a few episodes so I am OK with her going back to Montana, I just wish they had given her a better reason to go back like a family member was sick or something. Lindsay going back to just visit and kind of experience her pregnancy with her mother make her look selfish to me, Danny might want to experience the whole pregnancy aswell after all this is his first child aswell.

6. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Well, Lindsay's been expressed as selfish in some episodes before. I didn't really expect more or less. TPTB has, overall, failed, in writing her character well. It's very weak, especially with the more emotional areas (which is also partly due to AB).

Why must she be held up on a pedestal though? She really needs to get fussed at or something. :rolleyes:

7. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I think that is the problem....if she had been yelled at or actually treated like the rest of the cast is, and the writers acknowledged that she was being bratty and whiny and selfish, she would be more tolerable...it's really annoying, above anything else about her, that her behavior is tolerated by everyone and she never gets called out on it.

8. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I will have to admit that I have wanted to read this thread before but chose not to because of the negative comments and potshots taken at the Lindsay character in other threads...from Anna's lack of acting range to Lindsay must die to not having to see the incubator. However, due to boredom and lack of a new episode this past week I decided to go back and read some of the thread history and then completely read this new one.

I have to say I have been impressed by most of what I have read, up until about the end of March, and can see the areas that have frustrated many of you. I don't think that I have the history of the show that some of you have in order to engage in character analysis to the degree seen here, but I do have a few points that I would like to explore.

First I will say that I hadn't given much thought to the issue of Lindsay Monroe until I found this forum. I don't usually analyze my TV shows. I truly am good at suspending disbelief and watching them purely for surface entertainment value and an escape from the mundane life I lead. But the polarization that this character has brought to this board fascinates me.

First off, I would like to know why the writers would have this character move to NY City from Bozeman Montana, where the horrible thing happened to her as a teenager. I would think that if she couldn't stand seeing the mothers faces then she would have gotten out of there as soon as possible and not looked back. Yet I was given the impression that she became a CSI, worked in Bozeman, jumped off her horse, with rawhide braiding calluses intact, and jumped on a plane to the big city.

If we are meant to believe that she moved to New York to start fresh with no one knowing her personal history, then why beat the dead horse of where she was from, and that she was a country girl. I liked that she was a fresh face, with a different accent, and special observation and analysis skills that they needed, but I think the writers missed an opportunity to add an important layer to her character by tying her so tightly to Montana. Everyone has a past, and she told Danny at one point that she thought she had put hers behind her. Unfortunately, the writers didn't bury hers deep enough to make it interesting as a mystery. And we didn't get to see much of the special analysis skills she supposedly possessed because they threw her into this competition thing with Danny and that sort of took over. I think that's why I so enjoyed her scenes with Mac because with him, she got to be a professional that had half a brain, and could reason and analyze on an adult level.

I will, at this point, say something about all of the characters of the show. For the most part, they should all have cots in closets like Sheldon Hawkes did in season one because 99% of the time they seem to exist in this vacuum called "the lab on the 35th floor" and the only place they go, other than crime scenes, is to the ME's office or a vendor cart on the corner. We, as viewers, are given such a minute glimpse of their lives outside their job. Why do the writers have to confine Danny's and Lindsay's relationship to the lab. In the four years we have watched them, have they ever been seen together outside of work, except for Snow Day? How can you possibly create a relationship within the confines of a lab and play out all the nuances of that relationship, the ups and downs, arguements, reconciliations, conflicts and common interests that these two seem to have had, in that context and expect it to be believable? Yet we, as viewers, have nothing more than Snow Day to validate that they were indeed in a relationship at all, and that has been questioned by some, and rightly so. They don't go on dates, they don't watch football or basketball together, they haven't eaten a meal...oh wait, they did eat bugs together...in the...lab *shakes head and throws hands up*. If the viewer is meant to buy into the relationship then these are important things. It's pitiful how much meaning I attach to the vague references like "I called you last night", or "You promised me drinks..." or "It's been a long time since I was stood up on a date" in order to reassure myself that these two really exist outside the lab. For all I know they could be hanging in the lockers with the lab coats when not on their shifts. Maybe I'm just a bit too visual but I think the viewers need a little more than verbal references if the writers want them to buy into this couple as a family. My only hope is that they will give us a bone or two, now that they are married with a baby. Funny thing is, even after Lindsay became pregnant, we still didn't see any interaction outside of the lab. They appeared to be getting closer and more intimate and the moments were sweet, as the pregnancy progressed, but again, we only have the lab as the backdrop for their relationship. How sad and one dimensional and lacking in depth and how casually they have treated something that they (the writers) obviously wanted from the moment Anna stepped into the studio.

I do happen to like this couple and want them to be together. I really think it's the only way to redeem either of their characters, at this point. We have been subjected to enough ambiguity and waffling and if ever the writers had an opportunity to fix it now is the time. This storyline is a left turn for both characters and as suddenly as it was introduced, if the writers try really hard to be genuine and real, they can address a few outstanding issues with the relationship and move these characters forward. I don't really want to watch the relationship fall apart, now that they have married them and given them a child, so as long as they are expecting us to believe that this is a good decision, then it's time to dig deep with these two and make us believe it's worth the time spent bringing them to this point.

I know not everyone will agree with me...and I truly understand if you just want it all to go away. It's funny that someone mentioned Ross and Friends in this thread because if there was anyone that didn't want Ross and Rachel to be together it was me. I truly had no use for the character of Ross and wanted Rachel and Joey to raise Emma. To the degree that I yelled at the TV multiple times using particularly foul language on occasion to make my point. I get it. So I won't be hurt if you tell me to go away and mind my own business...and take Lindsay with me. But hey, if we all had the same opinion and agreed on everything, what would we have to talk about!

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm going to take your post slightly out of order because I want to say right off the bat that I think it's incredibly cool of you to read and consider a thread that you aren't inclined to agree with, and respond with salient, intelligent points that aren't presented with the slightest belligerence. I hope you'll stick around for discussion.

I was a big Friends fan, too. I actually liked both Joey and Ross for Rachel, though when Joey and Rachel finally got together and didn't seem to have any romantic chemistry, I did kind decide I preferred Ross for her. I can see the arguments against ross for her though. Anyway, I digress!

Back when I thought the character had some potential, I definitely enjoyed her scenes with Mac the most. I thought Gary helped bring up Anna's acting a bit, and thought that each character brought out something unique in the other. Before the romance with Danny became her sole storyline, I thought there was potential there for something with Mac. A romance, possibly, or maybe just a mentor/protege relationship. That never really developed though.

That not seeing things outside of work is kind of the nature of the beast with regards to the CSI shows, and for the most part I can swallow it and assume that things are going on outside that we're not seeing--provided that what we see on screen speaks of a deeper connection. There was a connection between Danny and Flack that was evident from the very first episode (well, not counting the backdoor pilot that Flack wasn't in ;) )--when Danny mentioned "hoops" on Saturday and Flack touched him on the back. We've actually seen Flack and Danny outside the lab more than we have Danny and Lindsay--not that that's either here nor there, except perhaps to contrast a bond that has always felt natural to one that feels completely and utterly scripted.

I actually agree with this to a point. As it stands, there really is no way to split them up now--and I don't think it would be good for the show to have them divorce or get into some bitter custody battle over the baby. That said, more than ever, I do think that Lindsay should be killed off. Before I would have been happy to see her shipped back to Montana, but now, I think there's infinitely more potential and interesting possibilities in seeing Danny struggle with single parenthood than there are in watching Carmine and Anna try to fake chemistry they simply don't have.

At one time, Lindsay may have had potential as a character. But I think a lack of any deep development and Belknap's limitations as an actress have painted Lindsay into a corner--and there's really no viable way to get her out. I guess she can continue on as Danny's baby mama who occasionally puts things on Mac's face while doing a needlessly long experiment to make a point, but really, does that justify her existence as a character when there are so many others that merit the screentime far more than she does?

10. CCA

CCA Police Officer

I got another reason why they should get rid of the woman who should remain nameless...because this season has completely sucked..sorry to those who have liked it, but the whole baby thing just got on my nerves it was one of the reasons I stopped watching for some time. I just couldn't stomach the scenes with...well "ooo look the baby kicking (giggle look at my deer in the head light look as I pretend to be surprised)...I guess I just don't believe it and it makes me want to gag..

11. under_cover

under_cover Hit and Run

Ditto.:bolian:

12. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

same. it has just taken over the whole season and takinthe light from some good characters who actually have decent storylines.
    it is blatently obvious that he is not really intrested in her, and if he is he neednt bother because she isnt intrested in him. she pushed him away at least twice. yelled at him for pushing her away! he cheated on her.they have no chemistry at all. they do not even seem to talk outside of work. she was supposed to be in a relationship with him in 'the box' yet she says she doesnt expect him to help raise HIS baby i mean come on when are these two ever going to wake up and realise they are not a good couple. lindsay could have been a good character if it wasnt the fact that every thing she does is tied down to danny ( and annas REALLY bad acting:lol: )

13. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

CSI Cupcake

Thank you for a fresh look at the character. Thank you for understand that we all have different opinions. Sometimes, we all need that reminder. Yes, we can have our opinions. That doesn't make any one of us right and any one of us wrong. Thanks for your insight! Don't go away. Please, stay, and offer insight whenever you can. I may not always agree with you, but that will always be OK!

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Thanks Top and FlackFan1. I'm not sure where all that came from. I was up late the other night reading this thread and it just sort of came out. I do plan on hanging around. I'm working on something else and will put it up when it makes sense. Or maybe I should just stay up late one night and see what comes off the tips of my fingers. :)

24 hours to go until we have new stuff to talk about!

15. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

That's a very good point and one that is easy to overlook at times. This show has a specific format with the crimes/cases as the centerpiece, and many of the characters' personal moments tend to be connected to the case in question or somehow extend from it. They really don't do random character/relationship moments -- the personal stuff has to fit within the context of the ongoing work (e.g., Flack/Angell's moment in "Prey" being interrupted by a phone call about a case).

What that means is that the characters have to make the most of the personal moments they get and, as you indicated, do everything they can to demonstrate a deep connection. That requires (imo) good chemistry and all the little extras acting-wise that add some nuance and depth to their interactions. That's really the reason the D/L realtionship has never grabbed me. Although they've had some cute scenes together, I don't see strong chemistry between them (especially of a romantic nature), and the little extras -- looks, touches, body language, etc. -- that point to a deeper connection just don't seem to stand out.

In both actors' defense, perhaps it has been difficult to do this in the past because they weren't sure where the relationship ultimately was headed. But now that D/L are an official couple, I think they (actors) will need to step up and add more nuance to their interactions if the connection between the characters is to be believable.

I agree that they've got to go a bit deeper with these characters if the relationship is to be sustainable moving forward. I think that the writing for D/L likely will improve to some degree simply because they will be an established couple, which removes some of the ambiguity. As mentioned above, though, there is only so much that the writers will be able to do given the limitations of the format, so the actors will need to do their part as well to make the relationship and feelings between the characters seem genuine.