Why Lindsay Must Go, Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

As an optimist, I'll go with happy. Long live thread #4! :evil:

2. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

My first post in the fourth thread. Usually I know that when a new one opens we break out virtual champagne and cookies. Don't know how to react for this one :lol:

I watched a few of the episodes back from old seasons, and I just stood there and wondered how the heck the would keep a character like her?Like it hit me again how bidimensional and useless she really is. Literally, she's just there to bring Danny drama.

And another thing I noticed, why episodes where she's missing are really good? Like the one from two weeks ago?

3. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

Except for the fact that we were reminded Montana *pukes* was in Montana, visiting her Montana family. We're not like the main character of "Memento", we don't need to be reminded Montana is from Montana and is gone to Montana whenever Danny appears on screen :scream:

4. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

ARGH! :brickwall: brickwall: :brickwall: They're keeping Lindsay! Angell's a tough, wonderful chracter full of potential---and she's the one they're getting rid off?! *Whew!* Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

All Lindsay is now is Danny's wife and the mother of his baby. We have the team bonding over baby names-without her there. She tells Danny the gender of the baby via a text message, so we don't find out with her, we learn it the same time Danny does.

While I realize Anna had to go on marterinty leave, why did they have to arrange it so that the "couple" got married just before she left? So we now have a married couple but the female half isn't around.

As I said in the episode review thread, I did like Danny driving everyone crazy with baby names. This is his very first child, and first time parents tend to get carried away.

It is weird that Danny said he hadn't gone over any of the name ideas with Lindsay though. And while I'm not a fan of hers, I am curious as to what she thinks will be good names. She is the child's mother. What's her opinion?

Lindsay's also a first-time mom, and now a newlywed as well.(Sudden fanfic idea-Danny and Lindsay go on the Newlywed Game! :lol: ) Yet we have no idea how she feels about this at all. Given Anna's inability to handle the serious stuff I guess I should be grateful, but...

It's just that she's one of the main characters, she's in the opening credits, and yet she's become a mere love interest.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Danny/Incubator = OTP! :p (Someone else came up with that. Maybe it was Fay? I don't remember.)

As far as the name goes, Danny did say he was doing the preliminary work or whatever he said. So he was making his list to see if Lindsay liked any of them. I've seen couples do that before and then compare lists, so I didn't find it odd.

I do find it odd that there is almost nothing being shown with the two as a couple. There was the baby kicking moment and Danny reading to the baby, but everything else has been solely from Danny's perspective. Not that I'm complaining because that just means I don't have to be subjected to Anna's bad acting, but you'd think we'd get even some small amount of insight as to what Lindsay is going through being pregnant and getting married. But I suppose even if they told the story that way we'd still have no clue because Anna has no grasp of her character and no depth to her acting. Hell, she only has two facial expressions. It's just painfully obvious that she isn't at all important to the show unless she's connected to Danny. It makes no sense to me why a character like that merits main credits status.

6. Top41

It is odd, but the only thing I can chalk it up to is that Carmine's the one who can act. :lol: I can't think of any other reason that this pregnancy is being presented as so one-sided.

Not that I'm complaining in the least. Danny is the more interesting of the two by far, and if Lindsay has to stick around, better that she's in the love interest role than ruining any storylines.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think I said that. Maybe? :lol:

Yeah, I didn't really think that was odd in itself - I just got annoyed that they found something Shiny and held on to it like a dog with a bone. A scene or two would have been cute, but there were like 4 name scenes, weren't there? Total overkill. But I digress.

One can only hope that they're setting things up for Lindsay to be even less of a presence next season - I've really enjoyed seeing Hawkes get some good screentime, especially in the latest episode. It's about time he got to be front and center while she faded into the background for a change.

8. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'd love to see the title of this thread someday become "Why Lindsay is GONE." alas this ain't our season. Maybe I'm being foolishly optimistic but I still feel like they can't ignore these painfully obvious shortcomings forever.

In the mean time I give you MarySue Montana and the Never Ending Story! (to the left) I just want the good old Danny back. *sniffle*

9. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Yes, we all want good ol' Danny back. :D

Somebody on Livejournal told me that Anna's facial expression has been called 'the scrunch face.' Is that true? 'Cause if it is, that's really funny. :D

Maybe we can hope that the spoiler isn't true? I'm holding out until the actual episode. Then I'll lose hope.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

"Scrunch face" is the discription for Anna's one facial expression. I don't remember who first said it, though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Anywho... I think that if Lindsay had been more well-developed in the beginning, and if they hadn't given her horrible scenes (Silent Night... it will haunt me forever), I wouldn't mind her as much. But now, we're in Season 5, and there's been no character development other than the baby and her relationship with Danny (which had tons of gaps and holes in it). If they try to fix everything now, it would just look bad. Honestly, the character, to me, is beyond hope. It's too late to make the character more dynamic. She's already been reduced to mate and baby-maker of Danny. :rolleyes:

12. Top41

Yeah, it really fits. If you look at her expression--whether she's looking at evidence or chewing out Danny, she always scrunches up her face. I think it definitely illustrates Anna's lack of range pretty succinctly.

It's not so much the lack of development that bothers me. She actually bothers me less now than she used to. She's clearly been marginalized--the relationship with Danny is the pocket she's been put into so that she doesn't drag down episodes.

It was when she was all over the place that she was really irritating. I liked the spunky country girl we saw in "Zoo York," "Stuck on You," "Cool Hunter"--even "Snow Day" when she bedded Danny. But that iteration was seen too rarely--more often we got whiny, self-involved Lindsay in episodes like "Manhattan Manhunt," "Silent Night" or "Oedipus Hex." I was even interested in obsessed Lindsay, who we saw a glimpse of in "Stealing Home"--but that was it. The problem with the character is that there's no real personality to ground her--unlike the other characters who have definite traits and mannerisms that make them who they are, she's all over the place. After floundering for a few seasons, they've now just latched her onto Danny and kind of dropped her. While it's not done Danny any favors, it's neutralized the worst of Lindsay's annoying character vacillating--and Anna's inferior acting.

13. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

^ I agree, at least now she's merely a living incubator and we don't get to see as much of her. The scrunch face wasn't the writers' fault, but they could have done a lot more with the character. Sometimes I had the feeling Lindsay scenes were planned like:
    Writer1: hey, I've just realized we haven't written any Lindsay interaction yet. How about a nice demonstration? We haven't had one in... 1 episode!
    Writer2: hmmm... that's true, lemme see... I was thinking... how about she discover the perp's blue skintone is due to the fact that he bought a really special secret cream in the black market made of Smurfs pulp and imported illegally from China. Then, to prove her point, she grabs Mac and puts some of the cream on his skin. And so, we've got PapaSmurf!Mac for the rest of the episode.
    Writer1: sounds smurftastic to me!

14. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ OMG, that made me choke on my drink... I was laughing so hard...

XDD

I'm watching Snow Day... I was so disappointed in Lindsay in this episode. It had a cute factor, with the whole 'enjoy your snow day' scene, but then, when Lindsay comes into the rescue scene and she apologizes to Danny, it's so... flat. :rolleyes:

I'm still confused about the pool table...

15. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I've long been a proponent of birth control in the drinking water; this is one person who doesn't seem to have the chops to be a parent. It's almost as though she wears child repellent.

That was pretty bizarre. And it takes longer to send a text than to dial the number, just sayin'.