The Screentime Tallyboard

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You know, it hurts me to say this. I adore David Caruso, but I think this emphasis on interrogation became a major part of the show because it was one of his strengths. I seem to remember John Haynes mentioning on the commentary of one of the DVD's that Caruso was excellent in those scenes. I used to LOVE watching him interrogate suspects, especially in seasons 1-3.

I'll give them that they did expand it to make it inclusive of almost all the main characters (Natalia needs more screen time! :mad:), but I really think they need to think strongly about getting back to basics on Miami.

Have the writers view some of the older episodes of the "team" concept and see if they can re-discover it. :)

2. Dina_Wizy

Dina_Wizy Hit and Run

You aren’t counted time on the screen for characters.:confused: This is also an important factor, not just quantity of screen scenes.
    But did anybody promise equal screen time for each main characters?
    What each of them is in office?
    Nat & Val – DNA techs and work in lab more often. We can see them mainly in the processing of DNA, aren’t they?
    H, Eric, Calleigh – they work in field and in the lab.
    And I forget – who is Ryan in the lab?

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Natalia is a CSI,not a tech.She should have scenes in the field.
    Ryan is also a CSI,and should also have scenes in the field.
    Natalia and Ryan also work in the field and lab.
    Natalia had more scenes than she currently has at one time.
    Ryan's time varies. I'm sure neither one counted on a reduction in screen time.
    I love NY because they really do this aspect of the show well. I truely don't understand why it's such a problem for Miami.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Nat now is CSI, so she should be on field like H, Cal, Ryan and Eric. Cal is ballistics, Eric work on prints, Ryan on trace. They all should work on field, they all CSIs (not lab tech).

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I don't like CSI:NY (IDK why but I always fall asleep watching it, sorry to all its fellow fans :lol:), but I totally understand what you mean b/c that's true.
    It's not all about a certain couple or some characters. There's a very good sharing of the screentime & it's always a good thing.
    Not to mention that they're not just focused on some romances or something like this. There is a lot of lab work, not to mention the field.
    Unfortunately Miami has 2 main personal storylines, not to mention that they're always interrogating a suspect, in an interrogation room or outside the PD is the same. They're always interrogating a suspect & they also almost die during an interrogation :lol:.
    Gosh they should cut these moments off & they should go on a crime scene a little bit more. What about the thousend of pics they used to take when they were on a crime scene??? And they used to be all about a freaking piece of paper or something like this :lol:. I want pics, also gruesome, & yeah I want gloves. It almost looks as if they were all allergic to gloves when they're on a crime scene. They wear them just for a few minutes.

I also think that their clothes are playing a significant role on this new change of aspect. I mean how could you expect Calleigh Duquese walking in a sewerage or examining a wc while wearing such an elegant suit like the one she's wearing lately???? :lol:

As for Natalia, I'd like to remember that right now she can shoot with a gun & hey there are lots of moments when our CSIs have to shoot. Not to mention that she could examine a crime scene or be ther while the M.E. is making her/his first exams on the DB :rolleyes:. TPTB it's not that difficult, trust your beloved Flò :lol: **pats TPTB's shoulder**

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Most of the character scenes are anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes each, maybe a little more in some situations. Ryan only had 4 scenes in the last episode -- I didn't need to keep track with a stopwatch to know that his screentime was less than the others - Natalia's either.

7. electra

electra Pathologist

Actually ,NY has 2 romance storylines including one that has marriage and kids so I don't think that there is no focus on the personal side of character there.IMO all shows are different and is hard to compare one from the other.I consider Vegas the one more science based but I enjoy the darkness of NY and the action from Miami.Screentime is something different then that,IMO.The producers will focus in what they think sells.

8. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

See? I told you I don't watch NY :lol:.

I think there's a huge difference between the concept of these 3 shows & their character's screentime. Of course, you can't make a contrast their concepts, but you can make it between the screentime table they use, not just among these 3 shows, but among all the TV shw, you can even compare CSI:Miami to other shows like F.R.I.E.N.D.S. b/c in every single show there are actors who are paid to play different characters. In every tv show there are some main characters & some others who have minor role, but when people are supposed to be part of the main cast they're almost present & they have tons of scene in a single episode.
    E.g. when Racheld had her child, it wasn't just about her that episode. Ross, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe, Chandle & Monica had almost the same amount of screen time & yeah it was Ross & Rachel's episode. These characters are oh look the 6 main characters of the show & they had the same amount of screentime in that episode & yeah in almost every single episode ;)
    Sorry for the stupid example, but I think it can be very effective to explain how sad Miami's situation is right now :shifty:

9. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Florry86, you absolutely right and it was good example!

10. electra

electra Pathologist

I also agree,Florry.I honestly have seen the same complaints here about screentime then on NY(that is mainly Mac and Stella centric) and vegas(Grissom and now Ray centric) as well.I want to see more about the underused characters we have on CSI Miami becouse I will start caring for them.I have to admit that sometimes I want the producers to bring new exciting characters but maybe the problem is that they don't have much to work with.

11. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

It's not stupid at all, Florry86. It's actually perfect! A half hour sitcom was able to provide more significant screen time for their primary cast than an hour drama. Same number of actors (if you count Frank), and yet they can do in a half an hour what Miami can't find a way to do in an hour.

It shows a tremendous amount of respect for your actors (or some great contracts ;)). Miami just needs to try a lot harder.

:lol: You're wonderful, Florry86. I so enjoy reading your posts. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I knew that I should candidate as your president :cool: :lol: Thank you & thank you. I'm going to be a truely honest president, just for you...b/c yes we can :cool:. Ok I definetly should stop taking meds :lol:

BTW in one episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. one of our CSIs appeared & yeah it was Emily Procter. She was the last one from the guest stars list in that episode (it was the one where Ross was going to give some milk to Ben, his first son) & she was playing a girl who Joey fell in love with.
    **the Ninth Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven starts playing**
    Yeah she had 3 scenes in a 20 minutes episode & she was the last one fromt he list of guest stars (not alphabetic order btw) :eek:
    So yeah Miami's situation is even more pathetic :lol:. Gosh she was just a guest star, a completely anonymous actress by that time & they treated her in such a good way as they have always done with every actor who worked for them.

The only person who got less screentime than Natalia in "Wolfe in Sheep's clothing" in the history of TV or Cinema was Johnny Whitworth in 3:10 Yuma :lol: (who knows it will understand my sentence LOL)

Not to mention that actors like Eva & Rex have signed contracts which made them par of the regular cast, so yeah if I were them, I'd want to see my character in more scenes than he/she actually is in.
    It's a matter of respect towards you as a person, as an employee & yeah it' also about respect towards a contract ;)

I'm also looking for new characters on this show exactly for your reason electra ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

It all goes back to having more people per scene. Friends had a lot of scenes with the six of them in the same room pratically in every episode (I would even dare say in most episodes). Sometimes there were two or three per scene, but a lot of times there were 4, 5, and 6. Miami needs to start putting more people per scene.

14. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Exactly, not to mention that most of their scene have big big big spaces all empty.
    Look at the last episode when Eric & Calleigh went to that house & questioned that poor woman whose surgery went terribely wrong. It wasn't a house, it was a "castle" :eek: & they just used 3 pepole in it?
    They could take a lot more people to put in all those empty spaces. What about thos warehouse full of gang members? What about an hotel full of clients witth a bomb which is going to explode? These possibilietes would fulfil all those empty spaces & yeah they would have to use much more people also part of the regular cast.
    What about a terroristic attack?? I mean in that case the whole team would have to investigate & examing a crime scene. :shifty:
    (Yeah I'm still waiting for an explosion on a train....since s1 :shifty:)
    Friends being a comic TV shows had lots of private & funny moments they all shared, while on CSI:Miami it is a little bit difficult to put in. I mean it is very difficult that you have all the 6 members of the regular cast on scene, but hey you can put 3 people examining together a crime scene, or even better 3 people talking about the case or just about their afternoon. I want break moments!!!!! Come on, they're not robots who work the whole day without break & without eating, for god's sake! :scream:

Give them something to eat or to drink, possibely in a bar. I don't care whether it is a break, or a moment they share in bar after a funeral or wedding. If that's the only possibility for them to have more than 3 members of the team together, then I WANT IT!!!

Ok ok I should stop otherwise you're going to hospitalize me in a mental home :lol:

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

'Dead on Arrival'

Horatio: 9 total
    Individual: 2
    Interaction:
    Frank - 2
    Natalia - 2
    Ryan - 2
    Eric - 1

Calleigh: 8 total
    Individual: 4
    Interaction:
    Eric - 2
    Natalia - 2

Eric: 5 total
    Individual: 1
    Interaction:
    Natalia -1
    Horatio -1
    Calleigh - 2

Ryan: 7 total
    Individual: 2
    Interaction:
    Horatio - 2
    Natalia - 2
    Valera - 1

Natalia: 8 total ...EIGHT! *does happy jig*
    Individual: 0
    Interaction:
    Horatio -2
    Eric - 1
    Ryan - 2
    Calleigh - 2
    Travers - 1

Frank: 2 total
    Interaction: Horatio -2

Kyle/Tara: 1

So Frank was a little missing in this last one, but otherwise the balance seemed much better as far as screentime goes, & as far as actual CSIs are concerned.
    With Frank being a detective I'm sure it's hard to fit him in alot of places (as is ME's & labtechs), but I still wish he had a centric episode or small arc so he'd be in the spotlight at least a few times per season.