Grade 'The Past, Present and Murder'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 16, 2009.

?

How would you grade The Past, Present and Murder?

1. A+

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. C

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. D

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  13. F

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Sorry this one is late, guys! New ep tonight--watch and let us know what you thought! :cool:

2. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

This episode might have been really intriguing if this wasn't the umpteenth time we've seen Mac take on the bigwigs the same way. It's kind of a formula for these episodes: Mac likes some power monger for a crime, Mac gets his whole team on it, the political players in the department tell him to back off, Mac and team tries harder, they get their man --bureaucracy be damned. Roll credits.

I'm going to keep patting them on the back anytime they manage to maintain continuity between two or more episodes though. So, kudos again for that, and I hope they're getting the hint here.

ETA:
    Don't get me wrong I like Mac as much, if not more than the average NY fan. He's always been a hit with me, and since he's the main player I don't mind putting up with whole episodes devoted to him, even when he is being didactic.

The big problem with these Mac Taylor vs The System stories is that everyone, and I do mean everyone, takes a back seat for these scenes where Mac slings veiled threats with Sinclair/Gerrard/Dunbrooke/someone else in administration. It's not that it's an uninteresting topic, it's just that they're not giving us new material here. We've seen this before so many times now and nothing seems to change with either party except that Sinclair is getting less and less A moral with every meeting and Mac still generally acts like he's the face of corruption with a big oak desk.

Thankfully by the end we actually see Sinclair and Taylor collaborating on this case! That's the most progression we've seen in a while and thank TPTB for it, because this repeat performance was desperately in need of a change of tone.

Still, bits of the case are hard to swallow. Just not the candy bits. The agent seemed to have no trouble swallowing those strawberry candies whole. Without chewing, since the ridge detail was intact. Hell, even his stomach acid wasn't strong enough to deteriorate the gummies or the prints on them! Wow! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Danny seems to have a nose like a bloodhound, or perhaps more aptly put, a human Z-Nose since he's again reduced to a piece of lab equipment. It's becoming infuriating that they have nothing more interesting for him to do then flounce about his incubating zygote. Count another strike towards Danny's vicious character assassination. :(

Other people who suffer at the hands of a Mac vs the Department story are the usual victims. Sid, who appears very briefly and Adam who doesn't so much as make it into a shot. Flack helps push the plot along a few times, but we don't get anything too interesting from him, or even from Stella or Hawkes for that matter though they seem to be the other primary investigators on this case. It's just all rather passe and no one person carries the lime light long enough for us to really appreciate them in their element and what they bring to their work --except Mac of course.

Lastly the end wasn't all that satisfying. They brought up Dunbrooke's dirty money a few times --well maybe not dirty, but at least a little grimy-- but they neglect to mention whether or not the NYPD is still fine with holding onto it, while they're bringing up Dunbrooke and his son for man slaughter and conspiracy and whatever else. This whole concept is so problematic I'm not even sure where to begin. Maybe with questioning how the people of New York city are going to react to knowing their first line of defense and justice is bought and paid for by a known criminal. Or how the upstanding officers working in department feel about knowing their pay cheques aren't much better than that of the drug deals, pimps and money laundering scum they're trying to lock away. But that's getting a little too deep for CSI:NY's exploration I suppose, because typical of their M.O. they quit digging miles before they find the heart of these issues.

Even more unsatisfying, Steels stupid lipstick shaped flash drive falls away, forever lost to the dark recesses of the NYC subway lines. Presumably where Louie Messer, Flack's massive stomach wounds, Reed Garret, Stanton Gerrard and Danny's personality also lie. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

*(plastic bag) polar bear in the middle of NY*

Lol that was cute. Did they borrow the Lost polar bear? At first I thought it was a pig (like reffering to Dunbrook's character), but it wasn't.

*huh oh. anne steele once again*

*is it just me or did Sinclair just tried to stand up for Mac in front of Dunbrook? (before Mac screwed up the whole thing)*

*Go Marine Mac! always saving the world.*

Dunbrook seriously needs to cut off those mullets.

*yup yup, just like the spoilers said. the guy from the FBI that questioned Mac*

*six months ago? So "The Triangle" is supposed to have happened 6 months ago?* :-\

*huh-oh confirming my suspects, the FBI agent was a dirty agent indeed*

*Why would dunbrook want it? because it's filled with gossip about important people Mac!*

I kinda like Sinclair today...

Ha! Go Sinclair! I like these two togheter.

they were setup?

I really, really like the scenes with Mac and sinclair

oh what a surprise, it's dunbrook's son. how predictable. duh.

ok. good but very, very predictable epi. could see things coming miles away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Typed as I watch, as usual.

~ Man fall down go SPLAT! :eek:

~ Aaaand he's gone. Dun dun duuuuuun!

~ Wouldn't he be more...splattered? :wtf:

~ "'Media mogul pushes him' might sell more" - YEAAAAH! Oops, sorry, wrong show. :p

~ Did Flack just eye Danny as he walked by? Oh Flack, u so bad. ;)

~ "Offisa Lou"? :lol: Oh, Hawkes.

~ A polar bear? Uh...ok.

~ Do TPTB think putting Danny in a tight shirt makes up for his lack of personality these days?

~ Ann Steele - dun dun duuuuuun!

~ Sheldon, you's a sexy bastard. Rawr! :devil:

~ Ewewewew @ the fingerprints being cut off. :eek:

~ Shouldn't that glass be stronger than that? How safe is it if you can just toss a guy through the window?

~ Sid! :D

~ Candy fingerprints? :rolleyes: Who comes up with this shite?

~ Bubba just needs a hug. *hug*

~ Gunshot - dun dun duuuun! How exciting.

~ Uh oh, Mac has a gut feeling - we all know what that means. Mac's gut is attuned to the absolute truth of the universe. It is never wrong. *puts on sunglasses* Yeaaaah!

~ The FBI agents. Dun dun duuuuun!

~ Wow, Mac, it's nice that you get to decide who is 'useless' because they don't immediately hand you any information they have. You're not Chuck Norris, you aren't more powerful than God.

~ Oh Sheldon, you so smart bb. :adore:

~ Wait, so Dunbrook had a window with a design of himself in it? Narcissistic bastard.

~ I think I saw 'Veasey' on the front of that magazine.

~ The E-Ink is kewl by the way. (Adam is going to be sad he had this day off - why does he always miss the cool stuff? :p)

~ Mac and Sinclair should just make out already - they have that whole love/hate thing going on. Very hot.

~ Do we seriously need a frickin' monologue in every episode?

~ "It's what I couldn't give you before." That hottie FBI agent should give me his number. Rawr! :devil:

~ It was Dunbrook's son - dun dun duuuuuun!

~ This episode is boring me to death. I like technology and intrigue and putting puzzles together, but a whole episode of it is just *yawn*

~ And the flash drive fell into the deep, dark recesses of the subway - will it resurface again some day? Or is it gone forever? Dun dun duuuuuuun!

Overall, this episode was boring - it needed Adam, it needed more Sid, and it needed more life - and less of Mac on his high horse single-handedly taking down the big bad baddies.

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

How many more eps does this guy have? I think I'll just be glad when the arc is done.

So now it's next week we get a repeat? Boo CBS

I didn't call it on the son, I thought identical twin lol

I also wanna know the drive's fate.

6. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

More and more Dunbrook looks like the CSI:NY version of J.J. Jameson to me. :)

After watching the ten o'clock airing as well, I have to credit this ep with one scene I overlooked before:

Towards the end when they're closing this thing up and Dunbrook is starting to flounce with panic this gave way to the most squishable Mac/Flack scene in a long time! When Don tells Dunbrook to back up and he responds with an ego trip and an indignant jab at Don's rank, replying with something like "Are you telling me what to do?" Mac whirls around in a FURY and pounces with a resounding "Yah. He is. So, back off." and as much as Flack didn't need Mac's help in the slightest, the camera catches Don's expression and he looks adorkably self satisfied! :D I swear if he were 15 years younger he might not have been able to keep from sticking his tongue out and punctuating that with "na-na-na-na-na-na". :angryrazz:

Loved it. :lol:

7. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

I see I'm not the only Mac/Sinclair enthusiast here. :cool: I liked Sinclair very much tonihgt and I wish he was a regular guest. They (Mac/Sinclair) look great together as partners, just like Stella and Angell.

I'm with you Fay!

8. Faylinn

NY seems to go with three episode arcs, and I think Craig T Nelson is no exception. So we should get one more episode with him.

Dunbrook's final episode is the finale, according to Lenkov.

I don't think they're playing it next week - I think they're playing two episodes of Criminal Minds next week.

ETA:

I didn't write smut last year or anything. *cough* ;)

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Next week is a CM repeat at 9 and a new episode at 10.

*laughs* Like we need more stuff going on in the finale. With the 500 storylines that keep popping up in reference to it, I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be three hours long.

Oh, Mac. The East Coast does not need another Horatio Caine. Hand me the sunglasses and stop being self-righteous.

10. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think it was a needed episode as far as the storyline goes because I hate when they don't tie up loose ends and it looks like they're going to tie up both the Anne Steel/Dunbrook & the Greek storylines - although the flash drive being in the subway I should have seen coming.

11. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

There was no preview though. I'm confused.

10, that's Eastern right? So actually it's at 9.

12. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I thought I saw a Criminal Minds preview when I changed the channel, but I could be wrong.

13. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Am I the only one who really didn't like this episode? I was so bored and was actually waiting for the end. I hope the next one is better!

14. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

^No, you weren't the only one who didn't like this ep, FallenForFlack

Wow. :vulcan:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

*sigh*

Um.

Usually I don't have the energy to post anything directly after an ep. Dunno if the shows are somehow just sucking the life outta me recently or if it's truly just long gritty days and no sleep. F***sakes.

I'm not gonna bother to write anything terribly coherent. Not gonna try and think any more deeply about this ep because I cannot be arsed. It doesn't warrant it in the least. In Da Leastest.

C.

So predictable, so utterly predictable. Yargh. Utter complete abject frustration with the state of the show this season, when I'm wanting it to gear up and at least try to end with a flourish. :censored:

Man I'm tired. Man this ep dragged ass as much as mine is now.

Bored bored bored. Boring. Sometimes take notes to jog my memory for when I do get to siddown to compile any reasonably articulate observations about an ep. This one doesn't invite that kind of time or revisitation.

My sad, sad notes.

Teaser:
    Dude. Iz Dead and Gone. (Isn't that a song? It is. Saint Alvia Cartel. Ha. Knew it).
    Mac working below his pay grade. Slumming on Dunsbrook. Is it 'Dunbrook' or 'Dunsbrook?' Oi, snap to, focus. Um.
    Financial district's a ghost town. How very profound and apt at the moment.
    Broody Messer. Can see the time and effort the show put into filming that shot of his reflection. Trying so so very hard. Biometric lock reminded me of the Manhunt ep, I think it was.
    I did like the 'Silent Violent Type' line.
    Strawberries? um. Alrighty then.

Segment 1:
    Teeth. Blood. Brain matter. Meh.
    Stella/Hawkes. Trash bag art. Polar bear? Huh. Thought mebbe it was a hippo at first from the back. I guess they think Polar Bears mean it's a northern city. Lotsa kids on my street tie plastic bags to string for kites. Looks a lot more fun. Wouldn't a floating polar bear above a grate be more fun?
    Music WTF.
    Um. How could a woman be the last one entering the office when the last one was a man? Um. Transgendered conflicted burglar? Nope. Just a corpse from a murder seven months ago. Anne Steele. I'm telling you. A zombie ep is needed. What's that really old Tarentino vampire flick? Didn't he do one? ...focus.

...my lights are flickering. Why are my lights flickering. Do I care? Not sure.

Segment 2:
    Body finally found. Oo. Chopper shot. Body wuz Searched. Fingertips snipped. Yum. Mystery man. Sid. Oo. Gooey. Gooey stuff. Yum. I would so love to work in the props department on this show. Rather an extended sequence of gore for Sid tonight. And that's the last we'll see of him I bet.
    WTF. Uh huh, EZ print mold, just etch it yerself and cast it. F*** the hell Off. Can I make mine raspberry instead? The bile I carry inside wouldna leave any ridge detail, I'm pretty damned sure...
    Chief Bubba. Play da game, in da loop. Hi Bubba.
    PR Sniper shot. No drama, easily read. Not predictable at all. :rolleyes: Bet they'll not find hide nor hair of the shooter, and it won't matter a damn.
    Uh oh. Mac's gut is talking to him. He should feed it more. Strawberry fingerprints are tasty. And last for hours.
    FBI are the Body Snatchers. And the Bodies. Kinda convenient. The lazy man's B Horror flick. Budget cuts are brutal when ya gotta hide your own body.

Wow. Slow f*cking ep. Keep checking the clock. I got shit to do, man. This is supposed to be my break. It's not supposed to suck.

Segment 3:
    *yawn* crap. Missed the first bit. Table meeting recap. Ok. Didn't miss much then. Unexciting.
    Stonewalled by the FBI. Oo. Fired.
    Oh. Mac. Ack. :rolleyes: "...you useless sonuvabitch..." ...interest...fading... focus, focus. Hm. Flashdrive about to make a return here? Mebbe for the finale? Dare I hope TPTB will be able to handle such implications, given teh 3 ep arc versus their knack for Continuity? How do they know how many hazlenuts go into a jar of nutella? ...focus...focus...
    Sheldon remembers stuff from the flashdrive. Of course. Hawkes is a brilliant teddy bear.
    Flashdrive is Dunbrook's Source.
    :rolleyes: "Dunbrook's behind the whole story"
    Oo. 3 adds in 1. Shiny. 318 hazlenuts. 106x3. Focus.
    Who tf penned this ep.
    No Adam. Egregiously notable absence while Danny was blathering about ink. Shoulda been an Adam scene.
    Find da wabbit. Flashdrive. Focus.
    More Sinclair Mac. Some of the best scenes, really.
    And yet Mac belittles him. "...can't sit around waiting for Sinclair to plan his next political manoeuver." And Sheldon says code to play it safe. Sounds about on par for the freakin ep. Who tf penned this shit.
    :rolleyes: "...the guy thinks he's untouchable..."
    ...*sigh* Fidget. Tap tap tap. Focus.
    Mac want's to reach out and touch someone. I think he should just go eat a sandwich.
    Oo! What? Hey. Sinclair comes thru with a warrant. *perks up slightly*
    One shot to get a guy like Dunbrook.
    .38 found. In a hidden safe. Of course.

*refill* putters. feels productive. ...dammit. Laugh or cry? My cieling fan just floated a fuzzy deposit in my orange juice. Aim like the buzzard from a few eps back. Man. My little cloud of irony's in full force today. It wants to water me. Fuzzy navel minus the alcohol? Never liked them anyways. Moral? Not dusting adds texture to your beverages. Also, Buy more beer. Had the last one with dinner. Bet the fuzz wouldna made it into a bottle.

Segment 4:
    Stella processes the gun. Nice sequence. Music better too.
    Hm. Filed the barrel, mebbe?
    2nd FBI agent found. Car wreck. FBI set up.
    Oh. Dead.
    Ah. Da Truth. Can Mac Handle The Truth?
    More Sinclair Mac. Stiegle? Steele. Buy this town.
    Ew. Cieling fan fuzz waft. WTF. Who dusts a cieling fan. I guess I shoulda. Critical mass seems to have been reached. Shuts it off.
    Oh ah. FBI agents will no' die in vain. Mac sez. Nearly typed sex. Shouldn't put the z and x so close together. Ack. Suppose I could just indulge in correct spelling and grammar and all that. But where's the fun. Ok. Focus.
    Yep. Barrel was filed. :rolleyes: But Stella's smarter. So are the viewers.
    Match found to Clerk's death.
    Hm. DNA. Betcha it's the son's? Connor's his name?
    Ubertech.
    Yep. It's the son's.:rolleyes:
    *sigh*
    Hm. Finale. Angell. Connor. Uh huh.
    Ha. The look on Eddie's face in that scene, "Gary Sinise just ripped Craig T. Nelson one. I love my job."
    Tomorrow's headline. In the show and out.
    Flashdrive. Subway. Ending Meh. But the subway to black shot was nice.

Fin.

Bleh. Utterly predictable.

Man, the news on right now's really depressing. Wonder if Stewart or Colbert is on. What? Focus. Whoever made the flashdrive, I hope they make laptops. It looks like they'd be a worthy investment given how often I wanna frisbee or dropkick my computer in writing about NY this season. An hour I could have put to good use dusting my cieling fan.

15. Faylinn

^^I LOL'd. :D

This should go on t-shirts. :adore: