The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

Ok, I should warn you I've used GIMP all of about 15 minutes in my entire life, so I don't know the ins and outs of it like some people do. I can tell you a way to achieve what you're talking about but it's not necessarily the best or most efficient way...

That said, the time it takes the animation to play can be shortened or lengthened at this stage when you're saving the animation:

gimphelp01.jpg

This line I've highlighted is giving you the option to change th frame delay in milliseconds. You'll notice a grave difference in the speed of your icon if it says 400ms as opposed to 100 ms.

As for the file size, the best way I've found it to get yourself the 'Optimize" plug in for GIMP. ---> http://registry.gimp.org/node/33#comments There's a version here for Mac or Windows.

You download and install the plugin and it works similarly to the Photoshop feature "Save for Web and Devices" where the program shows you what your optimized images will output as, so you can make a determination as to how much picture quality you're willing to sacrifice to compress that file size.

Ok, I should warn you I've used GIMP all of about 15 minutes in my entire life, so I don't know the ins and outs of it like some people do. I can tell you a way to achieve what you're talking about but it's not necessarily the best or most efficient way...

That said, the time it takes the animation to play can be shortened or lengthened at this stage when you're saving the animation:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/roximonoxide/talk/gimphelp01.jpg

This line I've highlighted is giving you the option to change th frame delay in milliseconds. You'll notice a grave difference in the speed of your icon if it says 400ms as opposed to 100 ms.

As for the file size, the best way I've found it to get yourself the 'Optimize" plug in for GIMP. ---> http://registry.gimp.org/node/33#comments There's a version here for Mac or Windows.

You download and install the plugin and it works similarly to the Photoshop feature "Save for Web and Devices" where the program shows you what your optimized images will output as, so you can make a determination as to how much picture quality you're willing to sacrifice to compress that file size.

Thank you thank you thank you :beer:
You're my hero :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure this where I post this question.

I've seen some avatars that have animated emoticons in them? I'm trying to do that, but haven't figured it out yet.

Does anyone know how or know of a tutorial that will help me do this? When I open an animated emoticon in Photoshop it just shows me one frame, not all of them because its a .gif.

I hope this question makes sense. I appreciate any help that anyone can give. :)

I've seen some avatars that have animated emoticons in them? I'm trying to do that, but haven't figured it out yet.

Does anyone know how or know of a tutorial that will help me do this? When I open an animated emoticon in Photoshop it just shows me one frame, not all of them because its a .gif.

I hope this question makes sense. I appreciate any help that anyone can give. :)

I haven't tried this kind of icon yet, but my suggestion would be to use Animation Shop 3 (you can download a trial version if you do not have the program). You open the smilie in Animation Shop and save each frame individually. Then you can open your picture (like a Nick pic you want the smilie to be on- just make sure it's already icon sized) in whatever picture program you have and you put the first smilie frame on the Nick pic, save it, then take the same pic without the smilie on, put the second frame on it and save it, etc. I'm not sure if it would work, but I hope this helps. If not, maybe someone else can explain it better. :) But, animation shop is the only program I know of that'll show you all of the frames at the same time and where you can save each frame individually.

ETA: I finally decided to try that kind of icon. Didn't work out too well for me. I couldn't seem to get the smilies the same size on each frame when I pasted them into the existing icon. All the same, I posted the icon in the CSI icon thread. :)

Last edited:

There are some animation tutorials out there... what version of photoshop do you use?

There are some animation tutorials out there... what version of photoshop do you use?

Photoshop CS2. I also have Adobe Image Ready which I've used for animating my icons and I have Photoshop Elements 6.0.

This site has some for photoshop CS3. I don't know how similar the programs are, so I don't know if it'll help.

If you look at the first page of the Animation Challenge, dopebabygirl has a list of links for animation tutorials. I haven't looked at all of them, but the first one looks promising.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for how to make the majority of a picture black and white while keeping the original color on one small part of the picture? I have photoshop 7.0 (though I haven't figured out how to use the whole of it... I can't even find the picture tube option on it).

Does anyone know how I can reduce the size of an animation (in terms of dimension: height & width) in GIMP?

Does anyone know how I can reduce the size of an animation (in terms of dimension: height & width) in GIMP?

It's the same thing when you reduce a normal image, you go to "Image" and then, "Scale Image" and you put the numbers you want and it will automaticly scale all the layers :)

Let me know if it helped:)

It's the same thing when you reduce a normal image, you go to "Image" and then, "Scale Image" and you put the numbers you want and it will automaticly scale all the layers :)

I tried that but it just scaled the first frame, it's opens the file as frame by frame images.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for how to make the majority of a picture black and white while keeping the original color on one small part of the picture? I have photoshop 7.0 (though I haven't figured out how to use the whole of it... I can't even find the picture tube option on it).

When I do that, I usually just use Picnik. You can change the whole thing to black and white, then "paint" over the areas you want to stay the original color.

I tried that but it just scaled the first frame, it's opens the file as frame by frame images.

That's what I do and it works :confused: Ok, so let's try this. Do what I said to do before, then save your animation as a gif, and then will show something related to crop, you click in crop and that will resize all your animation in the same size.

Did it work?

Back