Season 9 Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well it seems like some want to discuss the ratings regarding the episodes of this season, here is a thread where you can post the ratings for said episode (remember to give the name of the ep) and discuss the ratings.

Unlike the old thread where it was CSI vs [insert show name] this is will just be for CSI LV. I am not saying you can't mention other shows it comes up against, just that this isn't about them vs CSI. ;)

Have fun and remember ratings will go up and down from time to time.

2. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

IMO CSI is doing fine in the ratings, its still one of the tops shows and most of the time its still #1. Right now I don't think CBS has anything to worry about since the drop in ratings is so little.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah it has dropped so little compared to many other shows which are not still in the top 5. Whenever they have a new episode they still end up number one for Thursday night's. I can't see why CBS still would not be happy with it.

4. erep

erep Witness

I also don't think that CBS should be worried, but then again, I am not involved in TV in any way and don't know how these types think...

There are many ways to measure success -- I would think winning your time slot (i.e., Thursdays at 9) among the 3-4 major networks would be one. Another way is to think of "winning" a specific demographic -- maybe the 20-somethings are watching American Idol (or whatever reality show is on on Thursdays at 9), but maybe those 35 and older are watching CSI. Yet another way is the consistency of remaining in the top 5, year after year. Still another way is to look at the reviews -- are the shows, individually, thought to be consistently excellent, week after week?

I (obviously) adore CSI. Even if it's slipped, in the rankings (of # of viewers) here and there, it's still remained strong (in the top five) and, IMHO, is consistently superbly written and performed. CBS should wish that the rest of their shows did as well.
    :thumbsup:

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

My only concern with a ratings drop is while the show is still doing well in terms of ratings, it still fighting with Grey's over the demographics portion which 18 - 49. This area is heavily targeted by advertisers.

6. Dizzney

Yeah but if Grey's loses some of their own at the end of this season, which I hear is possible, it may lose viewers too.

7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I think CBS has accepted for now that its viewers are in the 'older' demographic; most of its dramas are older and not the 'hip' shows, like Grey's or The Office or House or Lost. They still own bragging rights for being the 'most watched' network and I'm sure this counts for something.

That said, there is no doubt that the younger demographics get more advertising dollars, so I'm sure Grey's makes more money up front on the original airing, but CSI repeats better so they make more money in syndication; it probably evens out in the end.

8. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Good point, but my worry is another show will air on CBS and they'll push CSI to 10:00 instead of nine because this new show will appeal to the 18-49 year olds.

9. alynch

alynch Dead on Arrival

Networks never "accept" that there shows appeal to older demographics. To do so would be horrible business sense. The 18-49 demo is what advertisers care about, and it's what determines ad rates and ad revenue. To accept skewing older is to accept making less money. However, CSI still has absolutely no reason to worry. Sure, it usually loses to Grey's in the demo, but how ratings compare to shows on other networks really isn't all that relevant. What matters is how the ratings to compare to other CBS shows, and right now CSI is still among the best performing CBS shows in the 18-49 demo. The only CBS shows that occasionally outperform it are CSI:Miami and Two and Half Men. It's demo ratings have gone down something like 10% since losing Petersen, which is certainly not a good thing, but those numbers will have to decrease by another 40% before it's even in remote danger.

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

You're right, of course. Maybe I should have said 'acknowledges' instead of 'accepts'. But CBS does use its own standards, though. They tend to quote the 18-54 demo, instead of the 18-49. And, so far, some of their attempts to gain a younger audience have either failed miserably (think Swingtown), or they weren't willing to give them a chance (think Moonlight).
    And you're also right about CSI. It certainly isn't in danger in the forseeable future, well, no more than the rest of network television. I think there will be alot of changes coming in the next few years as networks try to figure out how to be profitable.

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Networks never accept the appeal to older folks because the 18-49 year olds are more likely to buy the products advertised.

I just hope CBS is okay with CSI coming in second for demographics on Thursday nights. I mean no it doesn't win, but it's usually very close or has been close since Grey's aired in the same time slot.

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Mascara posted one of the lowest ratings ever for CSI with 14.6 million viewers and a 3.7 in the all-important 18-49 demo. I'm sure it was affected by the ER finale, but still.....

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah I see you what you mean, that's quite a drop.

14. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

It was absolutely affected by ER. I had friends who hadn't watched ER in years decide that they were going to watch the series finale. Frankly, I'm surprised CSI got the numbers it did, I was expecting a lot lower.

15. Dizzney

I guess this week's ratings will see if it was just the ER competition that affected it last week. Although Grey's is a repeat again this week, so I suspect CSI's ratings will be about normal or better this week.