Season 9 Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. electra

electra Pathologist

The loss is on Grey's becouse being appealing on the 18-48 demo was the characteristic of the show.CSI was maybe better before but it has never been a show like "The Office " to put an exemple.That said,I hope things get better.

2. 456

456 Dead on Arrival

How is the loss on Grey's when they killed us in the 18-49 demo and are catching up fast in total viewers?

9-9:30 -

4.9/13.485 Grey's
    3.5/15.098 CSI

9:30-10 -

5.2/14.390 Grey's
    3.7/15.495 CSI

3. electra

electra Pathologist

^The article said that Both shows delivered their lowest telecast rating ever.Anyone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Grey's always beat CSI in that demo?And if some characters leave ,it will be even worse for Grey's.

4. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Darn. :(

It's sad to see that CSI is losing it's viewers--especially during one CSI's best seasons, if not their best.

I'm hoping that word of mouth will get passed along and people will hear what a great season this has been, particularly these last few episodes, and viewers will start tuning back in.

5. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

From the posts on other boards and my opinion...they blew it with Mascara.The ratings have done nothing but fall since they aired that Ray centered episode,promoting their agenda. They will see...it won't work. It is a team,lead by Catherine and Nick and regardless of what tptb want to recognize is that Greg and Riley really do exist, so they shouldn't be ignored...so they need to stop acting ignorant of what is really going on...they are losing their fan base due to their own agenda driven episodes! Wake up and see what you are doing CBS before it is too late!

6. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

According to this site CSI came in #1 over "Grey's Anatomy" in total viewers:bolian:CSI grabbed the top spot~

RATINGS

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

But aren't the ratings for all the shows down? That's what it looks like to me. I don't know for sure if it has anything to do with CSI, but I know a lot of people dont' like change and Grissom leaving was too much of a change for them. We stuck around because we love the show as a whole, but I think a good chunk of people watched it for Grissom.

It's rather sad because I agree with vegas, other than Mascara, it has been a good season.

It still the highest rated show for Thursday nights.

8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

It does not matter, the show will still be renewed for another season. Ausiello already said it was a sure thing on EW.com. How things go next year will really determine it's fate for any further seasons, I believe.

9. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

As much as I love the show, if next year isn't quality, than I hope they don't renew it. No point in prolonging it. JMO.

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Well, the ratings aren't 'tanking'. As has been pointed out in other posts, all shows are down. Not many shows are getting 15 million viewers, aside from AI or DWTS. The whole landscape for viewing tv shows is changing quickly with dvr and online viewing becoming more popular.
    And, to be honest, I think the network expected this and will be happy if CSI stays in the top 10. For a show 9 years old, I'd say that is pretty good.
    Although the demo is of concern, that is pretty standard for CBS shows. The Mentalist, which is suppose to be the new 'hit' show, has about the same demo as CSI. If they try to go after the younger demo too much on CSI, they will change the show completely, and I, personally, don't want them to do that. Most of my favorite shows get around 10 million viewers or less, so I don't need mass appeal, I just want a well written and well produced show.
    That said, I agree with Kimbo in that I don't want to see it fade out as another ER or L&O. Sometimes even great shows outstay their welcome.

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I have to wonder if it has anything to do with viewers watching shows online at later times as opposed to sitting down and watching the episode when it airs on tv?

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

While I can't speak for anyone else, I can say that I watch very few shows in real time anymore. I will dvr or watch online when I have time, usually on the weekends. The only ones I try to catch live are shows such as 24 and Lost, when I really want to know what happens next.
    And I'm not part of the younger demo that networks crave, but I bet they are more prone to do it like that. My son introduced me to online viewing; he's in college and does it regularly.
    The networks know what is happening. NBC owns interest in hulu.com, and I think CBS has some stake in tv.com, both of which offer online viewing of many tv shows. And this is exactly what the writers were fighting for in the Writer's Strike, royalties for online viewing.
    It will become a bigger factor in years to come, no doubt. Nielson is beginning to publish the data for dvr and internet viewing; but I don't think they include all the viewing websites, yet.

But, then again, I'm not a Nielson family and neither are college students, so this may have nothing to do with it at all. :hugegrin: If I were a Nielson household, I think I would be better at watching in real time just so the shows I like would get some credit.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  13. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

^Same here. Because of how many awesome shows are on Thursday nights, I have to pick an choose what I will record on TiVo and what will be seen online. I usually watch CSI online because they put it up an hour after it airs, while Supernatural and 30 Rock takes a few days. But as jtd said, I am not a Nielson family so...

14. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

For those interested, the ratings for 'Hog Heaven':

14.58 million viewers
    3.5 in 18-49 demo

For the first time in a long time, Grey's Anatomy won in viewers with 15.33 million; and, as usual, in the demo with 5.3.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well that can be explained in two ways.

I don't think the new CSI is winning over viewers as much as they hoped with LF as their star. When I visit the CBS board, there's a disenchantment with Ray, not because they dislike but because the others who have been there a long time have been pushed to the background. Nobody dislikes Ray, but they're not happy with him either.

Grey's is having a big wedding and someone's battling cancer, kind of hard to beat that kind of drama.