Season 9 Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Thought I would post this link as it pertains to what we have been discussing about the ratings, and the importance of the younger demographic. It is a list of the tv shows with the top ad dollars. CSI does come in 11th, but 7 shows with less total viewers are above it. And the slots are presold, which explains why they brought in LF to replace WP; the network needed a big name to sell to its advertisers. So if you don't like the LF show, and we are all passionate about our favorite characters, the reality is it is a business, first and foremost.

http://www.tv.com/story/13853.html

2. electra

electra Pathologist

I agree.I normally watch CSI religiously every night (except for an emergency) and that night I had to watch ER.It was the end of a very special show.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

IMO, I can see why they do command the bucks they do

American Idol is a family show that has a wide appeal from youngsters to the boomers. The little girls watch for their future teen idol while the boomers and gen xers watch the singers perform songs from their generation.

Dancing With The Stars and Survivor are shows you can watch with your whole family as well.

The other shows are serials, a very popular genre.

So if look at the top ten, it's primarily made up of serialized and reality shows and one comedy.

ETA: The Mentalist was undersold according to the article. It's predicted it will make the list the next season.

All these shows are quite popular with the 18-49 group.

CSI falls short of the top ten but it looks as if it is one of the top episodic television shows in terms of advertising revenue.

I'm surprised not to see The Mentalist or NCIS given they have been beating CSI in the ratings throughout the season.

Anyways, I guess serials and reality shows are the big money makers for the networks.

ETA: Ooops just read The Mentalist was undersold and its predicted it will make the list next season..good for them.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it's quite an honor and should be noted somewhere!

NEWS

NATIONAL BROADCAST

CBS' 'CSI' Tops All-Time Favorite TV Poll

April 22, 2009
    -By Mark Dolliver, Adweek

People who fear (or, for that matter, hope) that the age of the sitcom has passed will note with interest a Harris Poll released this week that asked adults to pick their "two or three favorite television shows of all time." Among the 15 shows getting the most mentions, just four were sitcoms, with the biggest vote-getter among these--M*A*S*H, at No. 2 in the standings--having been off the air for decades.

On the other hand, 62 percent of respondents to the poll (fielded in March) mentioned one sitcom or another among their faves. By that measure, the genre was well ahead of drama (39 percent picked a show of that sort) and crime/mystery (32 percent), and even farther ahead of sci-fi/horror (25 percent) and reality (16 percent).

The top vote-getter in the survey was CSI. Ranked behind it and M*A*S*H were House, NCIS, 24, Seinfeld, Friends, Two and a Half Men, Lost, ER, Family Guy, Law & Order, Star Trek, The Simpsons and Grey's Anatomy. CSI won the most mentions from the survey's female respondents, while M*A*S*H led among the men.

In a breakdown of the responses by age group, CSI got the most mentions among the 33-44-year-olds and those 64-plus. House garnered the most votes among the 18-32-year-olds and M*A*S*H among the 45-63s. In a regional breakdown, CSI was No. 1 in the East, South and West, but M*A*S*H (with, some readers will recall, its frequent references to the Toledo Mud Hens) was tops in the Midwest.

Finally, this was one of the rare polls these days not to include a divide along party lines. CSI got the most mentions from Democrats and Republicans alike, as well as from independents.

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Hehe, I don't think I could be pick only two or three of all time. Now you wanna talk current, I can do that easy: CSI, Supernatural and Burn Notice. :lol: But, of all time? That would be slightly harder. Although CSI would definitely be one of them. :)

6. electra

electra Pathologist

Thanks for posting this.CSI LV is definely among my top shows of all time .But How does Grey's is on the list too?JK.

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Lol. Word. I have no idea how Grey's ended up on that list. Maybe some people just really like ghostsex... My impression was that a lot of the reason for Grey's significant fan base was the presence of a certain McDreamy (and possibly McSteamy as well), but I think Nick and Greg have those two beat on mchotness by a long shot. Maybe CSI would beat Grey's more often if it had Nick and Greg in lesser states of attire on a more frequent basis...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

We can only dream. :lol:

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This article was in the new TV Guide the MAY 4-14 issue, on the ratings~

CSI's Ratings Slide
    Ray Langston doesn't seem to have a clue about what CSI fans want. Recent ratings suggest that Laurence Fishburne's college-professor-turned-investigator is findng William Petersen's Gil Grissom's a tough act to follow. Since Petersen's departure January 15 after 9 years on the #1 scripted show, the CBS drama has slid among viewers ages 18-49, the group most valued by advertisers. On April 23, it hit an all-time low in that demographic and was topped by NBC's "The Office" in the nine o'clock half hour for the 3rd straight week. To be fair, nearly every established hit network show has seen significant audience losses this season. "Grey's Anatomy", CSI"s time-period competitor on ABC, is also down to record lows. But the CSI numbers have people inside and outside of CBS wondering if Fishburne's character altered the dynamic. "Everbody on Grissom's team respected him" said one exec at a competing network. "He's replaced by a rookie, and he's not the center" CSI executive Naren Shankar says Fishburne "is doing a great job--he's brought a new energy and vibe to the show". But he acknowledges any transition is tricky. "Any answer we came up with would have been wrong", he says. "We gave our audience a reason to like Langston. "The biggest mistake we could have made would to have been to bring in another guy
    who is exactly like Grissom, but he likes cats instead of bugs, the audience would hav never forgiven us for that" Shankar said fans should hang in with Langston, adding "New people allows you to find ways to tell a story he says, it's an invigorating thing. "But it does take a little patience"

TV Guides readers poll odd poll where ddi they get these figures?

"Grey's Anatomy" 54%
    "CSI" 17%
    "Supernatural" 15%
    "The Office/30 Rock" 14%

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think a little romance between certain CSIs and a certain lady lab rat would appeal to the 18 to 49 category.;)

11. Dizzney

I think they need to stop putting all their money on LF character and maybe give more time to those originals still on the show. That is the problem. Those of us that are still watching are getting sick of it and might turn away ourselves if they keep making it the Ray Langston show.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

AHH, but the thing is TPTB, did put their money on Laurence Fishburne, he stepped down from a lucrative film career, to do CSI, and they are paying him $400,000 per episode to be the lead, it is an ensemble but he's at the helm, like it or not~

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  13. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

We know he is at the helm, but by golly give the originals some material. Maybe THAT is why their numbers are slipping. TPTB bet on the big, shiny horse to win the derby, but are getting spanked by the less mature, newer horses out there. Get a clue TPTB. You ALWAYS stick with Old Faithful until it shrivels up and dies, not until something new and prettier comes along! C'mon TPTB!

I live my life through metaphors. It's the only way I can survive...

14. Dizzney

Exactly my point, but I'm not as good with metaphors. :guffaw:

15. 456

456 Dead on Arrival