Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

Re: The Great Ship Debate--CSI: Miami

Hi gals and (guys)

How do you inteprete Emily Procter`s-" relationship is a sutle(?) change in show structure?

I am wondering if they are trying to break genrediffenition or ?. I am sure they are not going soapoperaish but showstructure to you is?

The thing with Eric and Calleigh, is that they began as best friends. The best relationships evolve out of friendship. The fact that these two respect, care, and love for each other before they became a couple says a lot. Calleigh and Eric are soul-mates. Eric realized that and decided to settle down his ways as being a ladies man and be with her. The fact that Calleigh has opened up herself shows that she is letting her guard down for him to be in her life.

I really hope that the writers see that and keep them together.

The pairing of Eric and Calleigh is solely based on a formula that goes back in television series since television came into existence.
It's based on an expectation. It is not based on the pair have actual chemistry and come across as believable. Eric and Calleigh have been on the show since day one, they have worked side by side, through thick and thin, have a solid friendship and mutual respect,etc.... THUS, we ('we' being TPTB)
are somehow obligated to put them into a romance at some point. It would be expected that this would happen, rather TPTB thinks that's what the viewers would expect.

The problem is that, to many eyes, my own included, that Eric and Calleigh as a romantic pair falls flat. They fail to make the screen 'sizzle' and the relationship comes off as less than believable and to some, contrived.

Additionally there is the way that TPTB sold this pair, they didn't let it happen 'organiclly'. TPTB rammed this down the throat of viewers by pushing it throught every entertainment media outlet they possibly could. There was no surprise to it at all. It's almost as if TPTB somehow knew the pair would not be as well-recieved as they thought and so had to crassly promote it whereever possible.

Sorry, TPTB but for some of us Eric and Calleigh just isn't working. They can put Delko shirtless in a shower all they want, this isn't going to help.

The pairing of Eric and Calleigh is solely based on a formula that goes back in television series since television came into existence.

It's based on an expectation. It is not based on the pair have actual chemistry and come across as believable. Eric and Calleigh have been on the show since day one, they have worked side by side, through thick and thin, have a solid friendship and mutual respect,etc.... THUS, we ('we' being TPTB) are somehow obligated to put them into a romance at some point. It would be expected that this would happen, rather TPTB thinks that's what the viewers would expect.

Well... you can count me as at least one viewer that did NOT expect Eric and Calleigh to actually go canon. Sure, I wanted it to happen, but I didn't feel like the writers owed it to me and I sure didn't assume it'd be happening this season.

I thought Eric and Calleigh MIGHT have a JAG ending, that during the very last episode they'd finally decide "enough is enough, this UST is ridiculous, we're getting together, screw protocol". But... again... I wasn't expecting 714.

The problem is that, to many eyes, my own included, that Eric and Calleigh as a romantic pair falls flat. They fail to make the screen 'sizzle' and the relationship comes off as less than believable and to some, contrived.

You don't see the spark, I do. Perhaps it's like beauty... in the eye of the beholder.

Additionally there is the way that TPTB sold this pair, they didn't let it happen 'organiclly'. TPTB rammed this down the throat of viewers by pushing it throught every entertainment media outlet they possibly could. There was no surprise to it at all. It's almost as if TPTB somehow knew the pair would not be as well-recieved as they thought and so had to crassly promote it whereever possible.

I've always thought that this point was something of a red herring... and by the by, I think the media does quite a lot of its own pushing without direct help from TPTB.

Sorry, TPTB but for some of us Eric and Calleigh just isn't working. They can put Delko shirtless in a shower all they want, this isn't going to help.

Hehe, I don't think shirtless Delko/Adam was meant to lend credibility to E/C. I think it was pure eye candy. :thumbsup::drool:

It's based on an expectation. It is not based on the pair have actual chemistry and come across as believable. Eric and Calleigh have been on the show since day one, they have worked side by side, through thick and thin, have a solid friendship and mutual respect,etc.... THUS, we ('we' being TPTB)
are somehow obligated to put them into a romance at some point. It would be expected that this would happen, rather TPTB thinks that's what the viewers would expect. The problem is that, to many eyes, my own included, that Eric and Calleigh as a romantic pair falls flat. They fail to make the screen 'sizzle' and the relationship comes off as less than believable and to some, contrived.

Chemistry between two people is subjective. One person can say there's none while another can say there is. While many say that there is no chemistry between EC many others say there is. Who's right and who's wrong. Nobody is cause it's subjective to what the person sees and perceives.

I don't think TPTB felt obligated to do anything. It's their show they pretty much do what they want, especially with big storylines. And how do we know 100% that pairing them up somewhere along the road wasn't their intention from the very beginning? We don't know, nobody knows but them. So it is a possibility. Donahue and Adam have mentioned EC was thought about in the early seasons, but many have chosen not to believe them. Still that doesn't mean that there isn't a chance that it might be true. If they did, did they do a poor job at letting it come across? To some they did, to others they did not. Again subjective.

If they did feel obligated to do this storyline (which again, I think they did not) then what does that say? I think that it speaks about how big the number of fans who want this storyline actually is that they felt they just HAD to do it. If that's the case then there's a lot of happy fans out there.

There are fans out there who do not like this pairing and that is their right. But there are also a lot of fans out there who do. Not because seven years and a great friendship later we just think it should happen but because we saw it from day one. Or because when we caught the show, season 3 or 4 or whatever we were drawn to them and they made sense to us. There are fans that are really pleased and like what they are seeing. Fans that see chemistry, and hotness, and to whom the pairing make total sense. That doesn't mean we are wrong or right. This is just the way we see it.

Now (don't get me wrong cause I'm not directing what I am about to say to you) it really upsets me that some that dislike EC state as fact that there is no chemistry, that they make no sense, etc. I don't have a problem with it as long as it is clear that it is an opinion and that the other opinion is respected. I don't like GSR and never saw chemistry. Still I can't say that those who did see it are wrong. They did see it and it made sense to them, which is good cause they enjoyed the storyline.

So there are people who do see chemistry and who saw it from day one. And I guess we did expect something, but not because they were originals from the show, but because we saw something between them from the beginning.

Honestly,not liking a pairing is fine but IMO when someone points that fans obligated the writers to do something,I feel like a line has been crossed.I somewhat think that discussion should center about ideas related to ships and characters and less about fanbases.And just becouse we don't see things one way ,it doesn't mean that everyone should see the same.

Wow....you guys have long opinions!!

I contradict myself. I'm a HipHugger, a CaRWasher, a RaVer, and starting to be a RaiN..er.

So I'm pretty much happy with whatever they do. :)

This whole EC thing is so weird to me for some reason. Now that they're finally together it's like....woah...I wasn't expecting this.....I think the 7.20 scene kinda bothered me though. I did NOT need to know what they did the night before! Ugh....

Anyway. I guess I didn't really have anything to contribute to the thread.

Wow....you guys have long opinions!!

I contradict myself. I'm a HipHugger, a CaRWasher, a RaVer, and starting to be a RaiN..er.

So I'm pretty much happy with whatever they do. :)

LOL, sorry about the longness of my opinion.

I used to support EDeN, but now I'm a dedicated HipHugger. I've gotta say, I've NEVER seen or wanted CaRWash, but I don't absolutely oppose it either. I've simply never noticed or considered the possibility that they had any romantic potential.

I'm a fan of both RaVe and RaiN, though I prefer RaVe (probably because I've read more fanfics for that pairing than for RaiN, and because it seems like they're such opposites).

This whole EC thing is so weird to me for some reason. Now that they're finally together it's like....woah...I wasn't expecting this.....I think the 7.20 scene kinda bothered me though. I did NOT need to know what they did the night before! Ugh....

*chuckle* We all kind of knew that they'd be sleeping together at this point. Personally... I think they used that scene as an excuse to show Adam Rodriguez naked.

And I think they made the right choice. :D

I think that Ryan and Natalia have really good banter and would have good flirty scenes. Another pairing that somehow makes sense to me is Horatio and Natalia. A lot of times she has been IMO the damsel in distress and Horatio just loves protecting vulnerable women. She has gotten stronger now but IDK they somehow make sense to me. Plus I think they look pretty good together. Of course that is since I have to get used to the fact that Yelina and Horatio appear to be history :(. Those two I just loved. Even when she comes back it's still not the same as it was before between them. Sad, really. :(

I didn't like Eric and Natalia. It was weird to me. Like, it looked like it was supposed to make sense, but I just didn't see the natural chemistry with them like with Calleigh. Plus they were so full of drama!

I also like Horatio and Yelina. I have the feeling they'll get together in the very last episode of the last season though.

I didn't like Eric and Natalia. It was weird to me. Like, it looked like it was supposed to make sense, but I just didn't see the natural chemistry with them like with Calleigh. Plus they were so full of drama!

I also like Horatio and Yelina. I have the feeling they'll get together in the very last episode of the last season though.

I would be so happy if Horatio and Yelina got together in the last episode :). When I was watching the first three seasons I could not imagine it any other way. But then she left and in her last visits it's been all off between them. Mostly from Horatio's part cause he's been so cold towards her. Plus then they brought in Julia... ugh :rolleyes:. So my hope has been faltering. But let's see, maybe it's still possible ;).

I feel the same about Eric and Natalia. That and what they had was way too shallow...

IMO the writers need to humanize Horatio a bit before pairing him with ANYONE.But Yelina may be the only one to do it.She brings something of the old H.

Eric and Nat were fun but I never got too attached to them becouse I knew it would not last.The commment like "clear for landing " still leaves me with a bad taste.

Horatio and Natalia? They seem too sibling-ish to me. The only person that would work with Horatio is Yelina. No one else he's been with has really worked (which is probably why they kept killing them off with the exception of the one he broke up with and as of so far, Julia).

Another pairing that somehow makes sense to me is Horatio and Natalia. A lot of times she has been IMO the damsel in distress and Horatio just loves protecting vulnerable women. She has gotten stronger now but IDK they somehow make sense to me. Plus I think they look pretty good together. Of course that is since I have to get used to the fact that Yelina and Horatio appear to be history :(. Those two I just loved. Even when she comes back it's still not the same as it was before between them. Sad, really. :(

I actually thought they(producers) were going the way ...something about the way they interacted during the abusive husbandstoryline....As I just watched for the showstoryline, it was just an observation back then.

Now I agree with someone somewhere in here ....2 couples between maincharacters - hmmmmm.

I haven´t really descided if another maincharacter in an onscreen committed relationship would work now or ships (E/C and X/X) would flood the show?

IMO, Eric and Natalia had more chemistry then Eric and Cal now. Comment "clear for landing" was awful from Erics side, but who doesn't make mistakes in relationship. ;)

Horatio and Yelina was great, i still hope that something happen between them. Can girl dream?

Ryan and Natalia, Ryan likes her, it was so obvious. Nat flirting with him, but i don't think she mean it. I don't know in what show i hear this "flirting like breath", you maybe flirting, but not mean that you interested. I think Nat never was interested in Ryan like man. But they have great friendship.

Ryan and Calleigh is always would be my OTP. I don't mean new Calleigh, she changed a lot, but old Calleigh can made good couple with Ryan. They looks so cute together and i miss their flirting banter. I was hoped that with new relationship tptb don't forget that Cal and Ryan is friends, but i see they destroy that too. Maybe they begin new friendship, but it wouldn't be the same :(

Ajbuckly said:
I haven´t really descided if another maincharacter in an onscreen committed relationship would work now or ships (E/C and X/X) would flood the show?
IMO, one ship on is already starts flood this show, we don't need another one for that.

Back