Episode 7x20 - Wolfe In Sheep's Clothing ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by squinn1201, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

A great episode. One of the better one!! I was a little keyed up and will have to watch the episode again to get some of the details but here are my initial thoughts:

What I liked:

--Jonathan Togo's top notch acting performance. He expressed so much just through his eyes. Right down to the stiff walk at the beginning. Two thumbs up!

--H being H taking charge and saving the day. "Bring it on"

--Ryan having the presence of mind, while being tortured to transfer some of the ground's substance to his shirt for future processing, thus helping H save Billy.

--H doing field work

--"They underestimated you, Mr. Wolfe" HA!

--Ryan's reaction when seeing Billy. He is obviously fond of him. It doesn't hurt that the actor playing Billy is one of the cuter child actors I've seen.

--Eric speaking Russian. Bet that surprised the assistant.

Now what I didn't like:

--The beating and torture scenes. Painful to watch and glad when they were over.

--The ending. ONLY because CBS over-hyped it.

--Calleigh and Eric's confronting Ryan over the evidence. Although they were perfectly justified in their anger, the hurt look on Ryan's face (good job JT!!) made me sad and scream "say something for Pete's sake"!!

--Ryan's tampering of evidence, although on a scale of one to ten, I would give it a 4. He could have picked up the shell casing with his bare hands, but picked it up with gloves on, preserving the print, helping the team to nail the assistant when he turned it over after H secured Billy's safety. The fingerprint was more serious, but didn't jive with the rest of the evidence, so they got their man anyway. As Ryan told H he just slowed down the investigation.

All in all a good episode and I really looking forward to the screencaps.

2. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

I'm just wondering where Ryan's tie and jacket went. He was kidnapped with them, but he only got his gun, badge and phone back. :lol:

I rewatched the episode, everyone. after h rescues Billy, Eric and Calleigh go through the money Jim Colton (one of the baddies) had, and Calleigh said H got Jim to come clean. So H wasn't telling them about the kidnappings or anything either. I'm convinced he and Ryan are trying to keep it on a need-to-know basis, for one reason or another.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Very, very good episode!!! Loved it!!

Things I liked:

-The opening sequence. I loved the contrast between what Ryan did and what Eric and Cal did. Eric on the bed, Ryan on the floor, Cal spitting water, Rayn spitting blood, Eric toweling off water, Ryan toweling off blood, etc... very dramatic, very cool. Loved seeing part of both Ryan's and Cal's place. I kept looking around to see their decoration and stuff. Loved Eric's little, flirty smirk to Cal and the way she looked back. Great opening :).

-Cal talking to Ryan was great. She showed great compassion and really wanted to help him out. I thought that that was a good opportunity for him to tell her what was going on (cause I just know that if the team knew they would've helped out) but then again, were's the drama in that???:lol:

-Eric saying we all make mistakes after the interrogation scene, that was nice.

-Ryan and Billy at the end :)

-Ryan's scene when he thought they were going to kill Billy. That was such a wonderful, intense scene. Loved it!

-Dave the new guy is cool :cool:.

-H doing lab work :)

-Eric speaking russian :D. When the lady started speaking russian I just shouted at the TV Eric knows russian. I was so pleased that it was remembered and that he spoke back to her. That was so cool :thumbsup:!!

-H saying bring it on.:lol: That is such an H thing to say.

Things I didn't like:

-I was so sad that the episode ended and Eric and Calleigh did not know what happened. That scene was so intense. Eric was so hard on him and Calleigh looked so hurt. Eric will feel like a complete a** when he finds out the truth. But I guess I understood why things were left that way. When Ryan said that the russians wanted to break the team I understood that it is all part of something bigger. I think this is all part of what will probably go down on the season finale. I hope that when everything is known and they make ammends we get a little of that team spirit that is missing. That the fact that they know that the russians want to break them apart make them realize that they have to stick together and so the team dynamics get better because of it.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Something I noticed, when Eric told Ryan to get out, Ryan looked helplessly at Calleigh. It was as if he was asking, "Help me." Or "Please tell me you understand." There's no question that Ryan thinks of Calleigh as one of his best friends and she thinks of him that same way. She was throughout the ep trying to get him to open up to her. I assume that when she and Eric find out the truth, Calleigh will understand why Ryan couldn't tell her what was going on and Eric will understand why Ryan did what he did to slow down the investigation.

5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Ooh something that I forgot that really shocked me was when Ryan planted the fingerprint :eek:. I knew he would mess up evidence but falsely blaming someone is something else completely. I vaguely remember reading an early spoiler about this but had completely forgotten when I watched the episode. Don't get me wrong it still falls under extenuating circumstances and he was desperate, but that was really risky. Calleigh messed with evidence before but no one had actually put the blame on an innocent person before. Makes me wonder if it'll come up and Stetler will have anything to say about that.

6. GregNickRyanFan

I'm sure they don't know he messed with the fingerprint. They probably think that girl planted the guard's fingerprint there just like she planted the GSR on him. It kind of amused me when Ryan was so surprised that the guard popped positive for GSR. :lol:

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yeah but even if they don't know he still went that far. I'm sure he would've found a way to clear the guy when everything was settled, though.

It was funny when the guy popped positive for GSR :lol:

8. Wasabi Power

Ryan didn't do anything he couldn't reverse. That's one of the coolest things about it. He had the case rigged so that after Billy was free, he could undo the damage. Like H said, the mob underestimated him.

He did put the guard's print on the vault, but they already determined that the woman, Cynthia Lang, set him up (even thought it was really Ryan who set him up). Besides, the shell casing with lang's print overthrew all that evidence anyway.

SUCH a crazy episode. <3

9. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Well

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Let's try this again(sorry all; pushed the wrong button)

Well stated!! That is what I was thinking at the end of the episode. I got that feeling when Ryan cut the piece of his shirt out and the feeling increased when he wrapped the shell casing in the glove instead picking it up with his bare hands.

11. GregNickRyanFan

Yep and it goes along with that Russian dude saying killing Ryan would be a waste of his unique abilities. Yep, his abilities are so unique that he figures out a way to make it look like he's doing what the bad guys want, but does it in a way where he can reverse the damage once Billy's safe. Awesome! :D

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Lots of thoughts on this episode, I'll have to go back and read them once I'm done with my prelim thoughts.

lol. I found the one-liners! They're at the end of the episodes now. :lol:

Overall, I found the episode okay but it wasn't my favourite of the season. I would have much preferred if this one had been drawn out a little longer so the development of the storyline could have been done with less haste. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the split-screens moving the plot along with un-necessary speed. It works for 24, their episodes take place within one hour. It does not work for CSI:Miami.

Some great acting provided by Jonathan Togo--I was quite impressed with his performance! The part where he was exasperated over the phone, hoping Billy didn't get the axe was both desperate and sad, especially when the rest of the lab noticed his distress and were staring at him. I suspect most of them knew something was up with him all day and saw the phone call as a 'breakdown' of sorts.

It was nice to see Calleigh 'pry' a little into Ryan's life because it showed a little more cohesion this week than simply 'Eric and Calleigh work this. Ryan works this alone and Natalia does this for 3 seconds and bada-boom! Episode done.'

Although I was a wee bit disappointed when Eric was losing his temper with Ryan after he gave them the casing. Way to go backwards with the Eric/Ryan friendship-work relationship. Eh, I suppose Eric's always had a bit of a short fuse with Ryan. Though I liked that Eric told Ryan earlier on that it was okay and that they all make mistakes.

I almost laughed a lung out when Horatio went Dirty Hairy at the sugar refinery. :lol: Oh H. *snuggles* And it was nice to see him listen to Wolfe, even though he obviously should have gone to Horatio first (Horatio's line in a former season comes to mind: "In the future, if you're going to watch somebody's back, let me know about it so I can watch yours.") but at least he understood what was going on. Boss!Moment ftw.

*sigh*

Anyway, good episode overall. :)

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

You're completely right and that was really cool. Everything he did he could take back and fix later. That was one of the things that I liked in the storyline. And even if something happened and he had to face consequences he was ready to do it like he told Horatio.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Ryan was a bad guy for the fingerprint thing, just that it surprised me cause I wasn't expecting the tampering to go further than messing up the evidence.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Haha, yep. "Bring it on." :lol: It would have been funny if a Russian mafia person had popped up at that moment and said "oh, it's already be brought". :lol: That was from some cheerleading spoof movie that I only saw the preview of. :lol:

Yep, that was really cool. I don't know how many people would have thought of a way to do it to where the damage was completely reversible. That was awesome. Yeah, the fingerprint thing did surprise me a bit and I think it surprised Ryan too. You could tell he didn't want to do it and was just very desperate. Seeing Billy tied up and hearing him cry out "daddy?" Must have been heartbreaking for Ryan. I know it would have broken my heart.

15. Wasabi Power

I didn't think he would go that far either. I was like: "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" when he put the guard's print on the evidence. I'm sure he felt the same way. It seriously was heart wrenching to watch him go against his ethics as a CSI. You knew it was killing him inside :(