Episode 7x20 - Wolfe In Sheep's Clothing ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by squinn1201, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

Damn, if that were Eric's pa, I'd be tripping right now.:lol:
    That eppy was mind blowing enough!! I'm still getting over the anticipation.

2. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

maybe he can't talk too much about it till he clears what happened w/Horatio and IAB Stetler will be all over it creating conflict I'm sure ...

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Of coarse Super H was there to save the kid, what else would we expect? But, I did feel like Calleigh could notice there was something going on with Ryan and she made an attempt to talk to him about it, in a nice way. Eric on the other hand blew up at him in the interrogation and then at the end was all "Get Out!" rather than trying to find out why Ryan had withheld the bullet. I feel like there's always kind of been some hostility towards Ryan coming from Eric, but that could just be me.

4. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

It's not just you!

5. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

I felt like Eric didn't want to hear much of an explination, and just assumed that the 'extenuating circumstances' Ryan mentioned was gambling or something. He just kinda Bah Humbugged it. Calleigh looked like she wanted to ask, but she didn't. She really looked like she made the connection between Ryan's missing tooth and what he did. But for one reason or another, she didn't press. Maybe she didn't want to ask around Delko, who was clearly pretty flared up.

I don't think Ryan blurted out he was kidnapped, just because he might still be shaken up about it. He could barely tell H as it was. (and his relationship with H is considerably more comfortable than his relationship with the rest of the team. ) To me, it felt like it was painful for him to say.

It also felt like perhaps he wasn't supposed to say much about it. Who knows? If word got out, the IAB would be all over him, and the damage he did to the case was fixed anyway. So maybe it was more of a 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' type of thing...sort of. The less people who know details, the better?

HOPEFULLYYY we will get some explination later in the season.

6. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Great episode! I think it's the best one this season.

It would've been perfect, but Delko's little hatred of Ryan is begining to piss me off. He's always mad at the guy.

Maybe it's because Eric still misses Speed or something?

7. csi_gurl

csi_gurl Police Officer

I don't know, i think this season, Eric and Ryan have made some real progress and are starting to forge an interesting relationship. Like, when Ryan presses Eric for details about him and Calleigh or something, Eric brushes him off, but it's not in that (imo) annoying, automatically blow up and get all pouty way that Eric has. So serious! Lately they seem to be a little more at ease with one another, and even in this episode, Eric did tell Ryan that the interrogation thing was OK, and not to worry about it. I think their relationship could be really nice, if Ryan would develop a little social tact, and Eric would lighten the hell up.

This episode was good, but i felt a little ripped off by it. I mean, they did the best that they could, but it felt really rushed, like a lot of action and twisted details crammed into the same time slot as ever. Is a three-part episode completely out of the question? Because i would have liked to have seen this episode stretched out a little.

I'm definitely glad to see a Ryan-centric episode, particularly since it showcases Jonathan Togo's acting skills. IMO he's a little underused as main characters go. And one of the sexiest men alive, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm very interested to see where this plot line goes, and i absolutely implore the writers to develop some continuity. Maybe (once again, imo) back off the "Eric loves Calleigh, Calleigh is an independent woman but also very much likes Eric. They exchange secret, sweet nothings" plot line and let us see how Ryan reacts to this brutalizing, traumatic experience. I realize that it's largely a plot- rather than character-driven drama, but a little continuity goes a long way.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Eric and Ryan did have a bit of progress this season. I very much like the scene where Eric told him not to worry about the interoggation thing and that everyone makes mistakes. That was the Delko way of apologizing for snapping at Ryan. It was a nice touch. But then Eric did a 180 not letting Ryan explain. He knows the Russian mafia people are after the team. He knows about Mark and Billy and Mark's involvement with the mafia owing them money all. Delko is smart enough to put all of that together with Ryan's odd behavior and figure it out. Why the writers didn't let him, I'll never know.

I agree that the episode seemed rushed. When Horatio found the place Ryan was held at, I kept thinking it must still be early, but then I looked at the clock and realized it was already almost over. :lol:

9. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I still got 1 hour and 7 min til 7.20. Reading the spoilers aren't helping with the wait anxiety I'm getting..

I think Eric has trust issues w/Ryan and the vice versa.

10. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I have one very pressing question that may or may not have already been asked...

And alright, it's not "pressing", but... oh, whatever, I'm asking anyway.

Who in the hell directed Jonathan to stand with his hands on his hips and his elbows pointed away from both sides of his body during the last scene?!?

The entire episode was done SO WELL and then that last pose... UGH, I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. It's like he was trying to do the Horatio pose and failed miserably at it. He looked so awkward and uncomfortable in that position.

I know this is terribly nitpicky but, well, what can I say? It annoyed me.

By the way, I lied, I have more questions.

Why did the Russian mob, the RUSSIAN FREAKING MOB, not think to swap license plates on the van? One would assume they'd pay attention to a detail like that.

And why did the Russian mobster at the end, the one who drove into the area where Billy was being kept, the one being held at gunpoint by Horatio, not have some sort of subtle gesture or code word/phrase which would inform his comrade at the entrance that he'd been compromised? One would assume that the Russian mob would've worked out a system like that.

And why did Horatio go off on his own to take on the Russian mob? No back up? No nothing? Did he do that to try to keep Ryan's actions in the dark? That's a pretty bold thing to do just to keep a man from going up against a review board.

Other than those finicky complaints, I was a BIG BIG BIG fan of this episode.

I loved the comparison between the morning of Eric & Calleigh and the morning of Ryan. It was a rather stark contrast... they certainly made their point.

The tension was through the roof in nearly every scene. I held my breath for Ryan several times.

I was so excited to see Batista/Zayas from Dexter in this episode. God, I miss Dexter... I have to rent the 3rd season ASAP.

I thought Delko's reactions went over the top. I'm actually kind of pissed at Eric. I understand reacting with displeasure at the way Ryan violated the core ethics of their profession, but when Ryan said "there were extenuating circumstances" I think Eric's mind should have immediately trotted out Calleigh's kidnapping-and-evidence-tampering experience. He's a smart fella, he should understand that Ryan wouldn't intentionally throw a case unless he was FORCED TO, just like Calleigh was FORCED TO.

Anyway, Jon Togo was FANTASTIC in this episode. Top notch performance from start to finish. Well, maybe not the last scene with that ridiculous pose... but I still think that had to do with directing, not his acting.

11. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

GOTTALOVECSI- I just re-watched the episode and noticed that too. Nice call.

GINNNA, "Who in the hell directed Jonathan to stand with his hands on his hips and his elbows pointed away from both sides of his body during the last scene?!?"

LOL I totally agree with you. Who the heck showed him that pose??? H was so great nailing that one liner as usual and then we get duh dump dee dum Superman! (giggling).

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Superman! ROTFL! [​IMG] <~~~I made that a while back.

I honestly didn't notice the pose in this episode. I was too busy squeeing over the Ryan/Billy scene. :lol: I just loved the way he smiled at the kid... it's like he really thinks of the kid as a nephew or something. Too cute.

I did however in another ep (can't remember which one, but it was this season) notice Ryan walking down the hallway of the lab with his hands on his hips. :lol:

I was however annoyed that Natalia only got one scene. I wish she'd been in there with C & E when Ryan came in with the shell casing. She probably would have told Eric to give Ryan a chance to explain. She always seems to be the voice of reason when Eric is jumping the gun (Ressurection for example). :lol:

13. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

At first I was going to remark that I couldn't recall seeing Natalia in the the episode and then I did remember that she processed something, I think. But she really didn't have like any air time this week.

14. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

Bear with me...I am going to say what I remember from last night's episode because I was a little distracted :lol:

~Eric--nuff said. I already posted my thoughts in the shipper thread so I won't do it again here.

~Ryan...wow! I felt so bad for him. He went through hell and still went back to work like a trooper. He was so scared for Billy....that broke my heart. It always breaks my heart when kids are involved.

~Calleigh being a good friend. She really did want to know what was going on with him. I love their friendship. I laughed though when Eric walked in the room and he said something about him (Ryan) having secrets.

~Eric was a little too harsh on Ryan at the end. I guess he didn't want to hear an explanation. Boy is he gonna feel like an ass when he finds out the truth. (Mind you I adore Eric)

~Super H saves the day, was there any doubt?

~Eric speaking Russian...more please.

I didn't notice the end of the episode, so I am going to have to watch it again tonight. (Bless the person who invented DVR)

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Awesome episode for one simple reason- RYAN WOLFE! So past due, & I absolutely loved it! The man pulled on my heartstrings BIG TIME.

The case itself was hard to follow, I was more into what was going on with Ryan messing up the case then paying attention to anyone else trying to actually solve it.

I felt bad for Ryan, really bad. That has to be the hardest position to be in - let a little boy die, or betray your badge & team. Now normally I would have suggested he just tell everyone what was going on with Billy so they could help him, but then that wouldn't have been very dramatic, huh?
    All the same, he did make the right choice - he slowed the case down & his intentions were to fix it when Billy was saved.

I wasn't sure how to feel about Eric & Calleigh's reactions.
    Calleigh was ok, she was there for him & could tell something was wrong.
    Eric, at first, seemed genuinly nice about pounding on him for his mistakes, but the ending scene when Ryan brought them the bullet casing, I was furious at the both of them. Why weren't they looking at the entire situation & KNOW that there was good reason behind it? Aren't they supposed to know each other well enough?!?!
    Look at the entire situation -
    Previous episode the Russians are after the team, & they all know it. Eric & Horatio can't locate him. Next day Ryan has a cut lip & missing teeth (Calleigh saw this) ;Ryan purposely makes a mistake handling evidence in which Calleigh points out - "you don't make mistakes, not like that". Then later he comes in with the evidence they need to solve the case - he tells them he swiped it & that he had too, & that there were circumstances, & these 2 couldn't put it all together & know that there was something bigger going on!?
    I would have at least expected one of them, mainly Calleigh, to stop in her tracks & say - hey, something isn't right, he's been in a fight, he wouldn't make mistakes like this or purposely jeapordize the case.
    It rubbed me the wrong way. However, I will just assume that TPTB have a very good reason why they chose for it to be Eric & Calleigh (once again like in 'Resurrection') who were all over his case.

Aside from thinking that there was reason this all involved Ryan, & how it affected Eric & Calleigh - I have to wonder why in the hell Natalia was so poorly used in this episode. Though like someone else mentioned, if it were Natalia in that scene she would've probably been the one to tell them both to shut thier holes & stop jumping to conclusions.

Okay, so onto the Russians/Billy/Marc.
    I kinda hope this was the last we saw of Billy & Marc. I enjoyed the interaction between Ryan & Billy, but I feel that it seems finished now on their part. The Russians? No way, there's no doubt they will return more evil than before.
    What really creeped me out was when out of nowhere, the woman started speaking Russian. BTW, I honestly think she knew who Delko was & she knew he could understand what she was saying - she looked directly at him & not at Calleigh. Anyway, it was freaky - it just goes to show that these mobsters can come in any shape or form - they can't easily be recognized as part of the Mob, unlike the Mala Noche's who had a certain look & accent, these Russians could be anywhere, look like your average Joe or Mary Jane & the team would not even know it if they were standing right in front of them. That alone is pretty scary.

Allover, very nicely done. I would have taken this Ryan episode anyway it was given though. It was a breath of fresh air (aside from the e/c opening - come on , really now? )
    I have another bone to pick but it's going in the Dear Writers thread. :p