Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Oh God. You brining up Silent Night brings back so many bad memories for me. -shudder-

2. Silver_angel

Silver_angel Victim

I did expect some diffeculties from her "ordeal" in Silent Night but maybe TBTP is just lazy with the charactization :confused:
    But that epidsode reminds me so perfectly why Lindsay must go
    Just by watching the scene of it ....

3. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Aw, what, Yumi, you didn't like Silent Night? Marlee (sp?) Matlin and Mac actually hugging someone didn't make up for the Lindsay!Drama? :lol:

I realized that Silent Night was one of those episodes that proves the purpose of this thread. Lindsay sounded whiny, ungrateful, and just plain bitchy to Stella, and it certainly didn't do her any favors. The crying didn't help, either.

4. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

At first, I thought 'Yeah, she must be joking... she can't seriously think that that is convincing crying...' but then I realized that she did.

And that made me lose all hope for her.
    I liked the storyline of the actual episode (I want to learn sign language in college) but her "performance" just soured it.
    :(

5. Miss Poisonous

Miss Poisonous Civilian

I think Stella earned a lot of audience cheers when she told Lindsay to get her act together (in a more subtle way than that, of course) in Silent Night. Even Lindsay/DL fans must have seen that that was a totally self-centred and unsympathetic way to behave.

6. coolwaters

coolwaters Civilian

I think she great! May be it's the writers. They write the, she acts. There where times I thought Stella, didn't show any emotions. Sometimes, she sticks to Mac like glue. The only way Lindsay can show it, if the writers write it!!!!:):lol:

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

When they do write it she doesn't show it and that's a huge problem. I will say it's definitely a combination of writing and acting, but the thing is they BOTH make up the character and BOTH contribute to what is wrong with the character.

8. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I agree with PA here, and it's not just because I'm writing in a thread that is practically a Lindsay hate-fest. And, because I like reasons, I'll explain why I respectfully disagree, coolwaters:

1) Silent Night. Even if the writers wrote Lindsay as being sort of standoffish, Anna should be able to act like she just doesn't want to talk about without sounding as such.
    2) Sleight out of Hand. I didn't fully believe the crying. That's entirely Anna's fault.
    3) Admissions. Okay, this was half the writers' fault. But she didn't sound extremely sympathetic.
    4) I don't know the episode, but the episode with the SpeechOfDoom? It just sounded off to me.

There are other examples, but these are just the ones I immediately think of.

9. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

It's not the writing, especially not in Silent Night. If Anna acted right, it would've made many of the audience cry. Instead--nothing. Nada. Zip. A rock shows more emotion than her. It wasn't believable at all. Was there even tears? I couldn't tell... all I could focus on was the horribly-obvious fake sobbing.

Lindsay's character is like a leech, trying to suck up attention and the other characters as well. And she's stuck to Danny's plotline like glue, which sucks because she's dragging Danny down...

... unless she dies like she should in the finale. :D

10. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I often pop in here because I'm genuinely interested in why people don't like Lindsay/Anna, but I rarely post as I see most of the comments here as being someone's interpretation based on their personal likes and dislikes which is not always easy to debate without going around in circles.

But, as someone who likes Lindsay and based on your assumption that even those of us who do must think she's self-centred I felt the need to comment. I think Stella was absolutely right in her approach to Lindsay in this scene. Lindsay came across as surly and immature in the episode. But, I was convinced that her actions were based on something traumatic that had happened to her. Therefore I found myself intrigued as to what had happened and sympathetic to her distress while at the same time not condoning her actions or the way she spoke to Stella.

In a perfect world, as adults we'd all be capable of open and honest communication, but we're not. Yes, the mature thing is to speak up if you're struggling to deal with a situation that's affecting your work, but how many people do? The three times that I recall Lindsay reacting badly at work (SN, OH & AA) all seemed to be because she was affected by the cases. It's no different to me than Mac getting shirty with Hawkes/Adam/whoever gets in his way or Stella sounding off because something has affected her or Danny mouthing off because he's feeling unsupported by the team or wanting to follow his gut.

I have managed grown up professional people in my work life and as much as none of them would like to admit it, they're all capable of throwig a hissy fit if they're worried/affected/pre-occupied by something personal. People just aren't always capable of leaving their personal lives at home.

I admit that Anna's crying seemed a little forced in this episode but it wasn't enough to make me unsympathetic to Lindsay when seeing the 'bigger picture' of what was going on for her.

And as for the writing, I really don't think it's done the character any favours. The back and forth and telling half the story then sitting back for several episodes has added to the confusing character development imo.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Great discussion guys! And thanks to those who hold differing viewpoints for stopping by as well. It's nice to be able to have a civil, thoughtful discussion about the character.

As we've reached 1000 posts, please continue the discussion here in the new thread. Thank you!

CLOSED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.