Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

Yeah, that scene didn't bother me so much. If he'd been letting work slide or something, that would have been annoying, but he was just doing it while he waited for his results. Far less annoying than last week's blue flu nonsense!

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

To be fair, it's not hard to be less annoying than the blue flu stuff. :lol:

3. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

When the scene started I though, dear god they're actually talking to each other, but when I realised he was talking to the bump, had a little giggle. Well at least we know that Danny will be able to communicate with the child, it can grow up to be a mediator for mum and dad.

Why was Danny so snipey with the sex councellor, him and Lindsay having problems now.:)

Tried to find out about that pay lag stuff on Wiki, with no luck, but found out that a uniformed sargeant is a higher rank than a CSU supervisor. Would love to see one pull rank on Mac.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

No one pulls rank on Mac Taylor! :rolleyes: :lol: Plus in the world of CSI: NY Mac is also a detective so that wouldn't apply here anyway. :rolleyes:

5. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

The NYPD page does say he would be a detective, but still lower in grade than a sargeant, though detectives get more money. He is only senior to other in the CSU and doesn't work for the crime lab, never mind run it.

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Interesting. I assumed the detective part would make him higher in grade. I guess I don't know my police ranking very well. Although I still say no one pulls rank on Mac F*cking Taylor! :rolleyes: :lol:

7. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I might be straying somewhat beside topic in continuing this on, but I just thought it was interesting stuff on the rankings. Got me curious, even within the liberties TPTB love to take. Decided to look into it a bit.

Huuuugely over-simplified, and I'm paraphrasing a few different sources, but what I've gathered is:

You do the academy, start out as Police Officer 1. Then P.O. 2. Then P.O.3. Then you gotta choose. Possible to mix an investigative route (Detective) and a command route (Sgt, Lt, Capt., etc) in one's career arc, one doesn't preclude the other, (and some choose not to pursue either one, staying officers, for that matter), but mostly one path or the other is chosen. A sgt. is a PO that's passed the civil service examination. A detective is a PO that's earned a shield.

Comand: With enough time in you can apply to take the sergeant's exam (typical red tape, you need 3 yrs to be eligible to take the test but five in to qualify for get promotion, I think...). More time in, apply for Lieutenant's exam. Time in again, apply for Captain's exam. Any appointments made above Captain are no longer based on exams but are discretionary, by the PD. All exams are stand alone civil service tests. Merit surely helps your career, but your advancement depends on your success on the exams. Qualifications also mandate a degree. A sgt. is often an XO, but can run a squad (8 cops) or up to a platoon of 30 when there's no Lt. on. They are a supervisory rank (to whom I'm not sure, mainly other POs I would guess), and this begins the Boss route.

Investigative: All Detective appointments are discretionary appointments, and are merit based. Or, some more cynical and free speaking would suggest, often based on talent in buttkissing. As a PO, you hafta somehow find your way into an investigative unit or assignment, and then hafta stay there for at least 18 months to turn your silver shield into a gold one. Far far easier said than done. There are many units the dept does not consider 'investigative,' a way around having to promote many thousands of POs to detective. Can take years just to get from PO to Det 3. Detectives get grade after several submissions of approval by their squad supervisor requesting they get grade. Some detectives have specialized skillsets in addition. Not just a rank but a lifestyle.

They can easily do their twenty and then some as detectives, but it can also lead to opening doors to other previously unattainable units and joint task forces. They are also relatively independent, and run their own cases start to finish. Many detectives feel they are better off trying to make the grade instead of pursuing Sgt. But their schedule is incredibly demanding and unpredictable, hence the lifestyle. It can take years, and it can take its toll. And in RL, the elite of supersleuth 1rst Graders are apparently fewer and far between.

As for Mac. I wonder if it's meant, within the convenient realm of TPTB's New York, for him to be running the Forensic Investigation Division? Call it another example of a discretionary appointment made in the aftermath of 9/11 before Sinclair and Gerrard moved up? (didn't he say he was the last one appointed?)

FID apparently includes the Police Labs, the Ballistics Unit, the Latent Print Unit, the Crime Scene Unit, and yes, ...the Bomb Squad. (But I do recall an eppie of Mac and Danny geard up with the helmets and kevlar... :p)
    Seeing as his team and all the lab techies all work on all those aspects of processing, and all report to him...? [Uncertain how current that FID structure is, but it was also mentioned, not in it's own right but in context, on the NYPD site, so I'd guess its umbrella stands the same].

Dunno. Just a theory.

Mebbe someday a long-suffering sergeant will come and kick the "don't call me sir" ex-major's butt... :lol:

Also retro-thinking that this Blu Flu ep was supposed to be topical because the NYPD recently renegotiated pay parity issues and increases. Their 'Pay Lag' used as a vehicle to touch on the subject of paying NYPD properly for the work they do, or at least with some parity with other major cities. (There was also a time in NYC that a garbage man made more money than a cop patrolling the streets, though both were city employees...)

And yes, finally really on topic, the moment Danny smooched the baby belly did in fact have me among the weirded out. And I'm not sure I can articulate why. There's just something with her where I'm simply unable to sink into the show.

I'm cringing at thinking how 5.17 will go down, and hope DL don't feature too much in the ep, but in light of sweeps coming up I'm already rolling my eyes. TPTB've apparently jinkied the schedules to run it for ratings... :rolleyes::p

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  8. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I think the main reason TPTB take liberties with peoples rank and job description is that is the detectives (Flack, Angell) did all the interviewing witness and interogations, the CSIs dealt with everything at the scence and then the lab people did all the analysis work as it should be, you would end up with a huge cast. Too many would be people involved with each case for the viewers to follow easily.

In the UK the foresnic service is totally independant of the police, since they can be called upon to give evidence for both the defence and the prosecution they need to remain impartial. Although in the US the foresnic teams do sit in the police department I would imagine there is some degree of separation from investigating officers or the defence would always claim they were biased in their analysis - what information you gain from analysing evidence can depend on how you look at it.

But we're totally off topic now.

I also thought it was weird Carmine kissing Anna's belly, I wonder if he felt wierd doing it as it is very personal.

9. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I'd rather there was a few more regular lab tech around, like on the original series. It wouldn't make Adam less of a character, as it didn't with Greg, but would enhance the show, for me anyway.

I wonder how long the wedding is going to last, I'll be checking in here before watching that episode. If it's more than two minutes I'll give it a miss, unless it's at the end and I can tune out early.

10. Top41

^I believe the wedding is supposed to happen at the end of the episode, and will probably be fairly short--under 2-3 minutes I'd guess. That said, I don't have high hopes for it. Given that last season at this time, Lindsay was storming out on Danny, it seems like an unnatural smoothing over of their issues for them to get married. If the wedding hadn't been rushed so that it happened before the baby was born, it might have felt like a natural evolution a season down the road. Right now, it just feels like they're getting married because a) there's a baby on the way and b) Danny's wildly insecure.

11. electra

electra Pathologist

The only solution that I can see is make Lindsay a recurrent character.When she is not on much,this storyline doesn't annoys me as much.And it will give more time to Adam,Hawkes and even Angell.And maybe consider a break until the season finale.There is no way that I will be watching 5:17 .Just the fact that I would be waiting for D/L drama is enough for me no to bother.

12. Top41

Killing her off and letting Danny deal with the emotional fall out--and having to raise the baby on his own--would be a good solution. ;)

13. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ I definitely agree. True, it would bring even more angst to Danny's character, but Carmine really loves those angsty, depressing scenes, so I don't think he'd mind. He really shines in the emotional episodes (like Run Silent, Run Deep). Anyways, I think they should just definitely scrap the relationships with no chemistry. It's just... sad to watch. I feel like they really have to grit their teeth and force themselves through the scenes.

It's sad that they're married and it's still so obvious that there's no chemistry between them and that quite honestly, they married for the baby. But I have hopes for the finale. :D

14. Kemy

Kemy Dead on Arrival

Someone just told me that the baby is going to be a
    girl!!!

15. Hallie

Hallie Dead on Arrival

It was in Last nights episode

I not sure if it will be good or bad for csi but i don't think it will be anything to grand after the first few episodes that fact that they have child will fade into the background. As it does with most characters look at alex from csi miami she has kids that is not the focus of the show the cases are