Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. nver

nver Victim

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

I think the writers will have to work very hard to get the Danny / Lindsay story to work, IMHO. In reality, I think these two would get married for the kid, and get divorced for their own sanity. I have never believed there's any emotional tie between them, and I don't even see a physical attraction between them beyond that first night in Snow Day. I just don't see them content with the situation, any marriage, or any future together.

Exploring a divorce . . . that might make for some interesting moments. I feel their anger or indifference for each other more than any real love.

Maybe I just don't like the character of Lindsay. she's been . . . inconsistent about Danny from the beginning.

I don't see any positives here . . . .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I voted "I don't know". I'm fairly new at watching the show. I've been watching the older shows that are shown on the weekends and I've been watching the newer shows online. So, I'm not too familiar with Danny and Lindsay's relationship, yet.

I didn't like how Danny found out by mistake that Lindsay was pregnant. How long did she expect to hide it? I do like how Danny seems to truly care about Lindsay and her well being. I like how Danny has stepped up and is taking responsibility. I also respect Lindsay for (so far) turning down his proposal of marriage. A baby is the absolute wrong reason for two people to get married (IMO).

It might be interesting to see how these two people who seem to have no life outside of work manage to take care of a child.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I have to say, watching the show now, it really does seem like a lot of Danny and Lindsay's problems--the issues that have plagued them throughout the course of their relationship--are being swept under the rug in an attempt to show that really, they're going to be great parents, and their relationship is rock solid because of the baby! I still think ultimately it was a bad idea to write Anna Belknap's pregnancy into the show, that organically it wasn't where the characters were. It's nice that they're finally growing up and communicating a bit more, but after so many communication issues in the past, it just doesn't seem like their relationship has a strong foundation at all.

4. HipHuggers#1Fan

HipHuggers#1Fan Rookie

I think that the main complaint here is the story line. I think Danny and Lindsey go well together and a baby coming is ok. However, I don't think the writers are doing a very good job with the D/L relationship. They messed it up trying to make it interesting.

5. Top41

Bringing this over from the spoiler thread since it's more on topic here...re: the Danny/Lindsay wedding:

The wedding is about as unromantic as you get. Basically, it's a role reversal--rather than the woman pressuring the guy to get married so that their kid isn't born out of wedlock, it's the reverse--Danny is clearly the one stressing out about it. It's born out of his insecurities, and Lindsay has always played on those.

The problem with writing in Anna's pregnancy is that it feels unnatural for the characters. They've done a complete 180--gone from not communicating, sending mixed signals to each other, and storming away (well, that's all Lindsay), to suddenly being lovey dovey and happy in the space of like 5 episodes. Bringing a kid into their tumultuous relationship is problematic at best, but none of that is being dealt with realistically. This wedding is just the capper on the fantasy that's playing out that baby makes everything better. I guess it's good that they're not going for the full out wedding, but it does feel unrealistic and unnatural for a couple that can't be in the same room together without the woman walking away in frustration/avoidance/anger 90% of the time.

6. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I can't really say i've noticed them being lovey-dovey, they don't even make eye contact when they're sharing a scene. For example, the scene the other week with Sid (can I give you a hand), they were both comunicating with Sid but seemingly not with each other.

I appreciate them not going for the big fancy wedding, but seriously, Danny looks like a tramp in those photos, a wash up and dust down wouldn't be too much to ask for on your wedding day. He had a suit in series 1, they could have brought it back for one episode.

I assume poor Donnie is in the huff for some reason and boycotting his best friends wedding. Maybe his best suit is still in the cleaners. :)

7. Top41

I guess I'm thinking of their professed "I love you"s outside Mac's office in "The Triangle" and the way they got all excited over the baby kicking in the next episode. It feels like an abrupt change to say the least. There's not a lot of natural chemistry between them, so unless it's directly in the script, you don't feel their supposed bond.

They've dressed Danny down waaaay too much in the last few seasons. I love the button down shirt and jeans look, but the t-shirts and henleys are too casual. And that jacket is ugly. :lol:

I can't believe Flack hasn't said one word to Danny about the baby or his relationship with Lindsay (aside from the one crack he made last season about how Danny should piss Lindsay off more often ;) ). I could definitely swallow the whole wedding thing if Flack said to Danny beforehand, "It's a huge mistake and I'm not going to be there to facilitate it." That would seem much more real, especially since Flack's comment in "Personal Foul" suggests he knows something of what Lindsay has put Danny through.

8. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Danny definately looks better dressed down, but his t-shirts and trousers (pants) now look washed out and have never seen an iron. Maybe i'm being an old woman, but that's not a good look. Don been casual a few times recently but he still looks smart.

If he had his specs on, he would be able to see himself in all those mirror glassed New York buildings.:lol:

9. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Agree. I also think that working thru or at least directly addressing some of those issues would have been the most immediate way to improve the depiction of their relationship, and a way to open up and explore the characters before just jumping into a 'by god, I'm pregnant' scenario with all the predictable fallout. Hell, dealing with some of them even now could liven things up a little, if they insist on devoting screentime to exploring the pairing further at all.

Generally, I fear for the child, poor wee bairn... ;)

Well, no secret I'm not a fan of the pairing, nor the inclusion of the pregnancy. I didn't think the DL relationship was in any way engaging in any of the previous seasons. I seriously doubt there's anything the writers could ever come up with that would alter my take on them in light of the pregnancy, nor their life as a married couple down the road. Bleh.

Addressing Danny's emotional aftermath with Reuben and how that translated to his involvement with Rikki, that would have been interesting. Having Lindsay address how she felt about that - if she knew - would have been potentially interesting.

If the pairing had been at all interesting to begin with, they wouldn't have had to 'try' to make it anything else. DL should never have been pushed so hard in S3, Snow Day should never have happened, blame the tequila, and DL should never have come to have such a prominent place in the show in past seasons. TPTB seemed to agree. This season, at least early on, DL had all but been written off the face of the scripts, as was Lindsays airtime in general, until.... dun dun duhhhhhh, the inclusion of the Pregnancy.

Followed up on this elsewhere with comments that might have been better placed here, I suppose, but didn't read this till later.

To branch out a little from those comments, I'm very glad the wedding's not gonna be some huge ding-dong gala kinda thing, meaning hopefully not detracting from too much of the rest of the show. The other side of that though, is that from what I've seen of the caps and what I recall of the soundbites from TPTB, this treatment of the wedding just continues the feeling that the whole of DL this season has been done in such a haphazard fashion. Kinda like, oh, gee, um... Damage Control? Minimize the time and attention devoted to it? I'll go along with that.

What, honey, let's stop by City Hall on the way home, got some paperwork to tend to, and then we'll rent a movie and get some take-away, sound good? Fabu. Nothing says I love you, no really and truly I do, honest, like a white scarf and a small bouquet, and a guy with five o'clock shadow...? Why bother including this in the ep at all? Why not just send them on an elopement or a honeymoon (...Vegas, anyone?) and get a postcard in the mail after the fact? 'course, I guess that means they'd hafta can Adam in order to reclaim their vacation time...

This feels exactly on par with Lindsay's 'friend' being concerned about working with chemicals, meaning TPTB have to do something to acknowledge the path they've flung DL and the show down, seeing as they decided to write the pregnancy in, and the wedding's an easy, conventional way to answer it, and so this is what's thrown at us to show it's been checked off the list. How passionate and moving. Hanky anyone? What. Allergies. The whole thing makes me have extreme and adverse reactions. :p

A wedding, being a ceremony of commitment and affirmation, would seem to be a personally significant occasion, no? Worthy of a little extra effort and polish above and beyond the mundane everyday, at least for the duration of the ceremony marking the event?

I agree with y'all about the suit and Danny and his general casual look this year. He's just gotten increasingly rumpled and worn-down looking, more often than not. An undercover without being undercover. Unless there's a really exciting storyline from TPTB we haven't heard of yet...?

I dunno who said it in another thread, but Danny without his glasses looks like the wrong end of a ferret, I think the phrasing was? Well, being so rumpled in addition to that doesn't really help him too much either, not all day everyday. The overall look could do with perhaps being a little more deliberate and a little less hangover-like on his wedding day, if nothing else...? Oooh, mebbe that's it! Flack took him out the night before? :lol:

Ha :lol: I'd say Donnie could skip the cleaners and just show up. The whole thing smells anyways. Who would notice?

I'm a little behind in all the spoilers here, dunno what kind of preamble the ceremony's purported to get before it happens. Still, I agree, I hope there's some little moment written between Flack and Danny at least, before the wedding. You would think there could have been opportunity to have Danny chat with anyone about all this. What happened to a season of character exploration tangents in shows this year? Pouring his guts out to strangers and none of his friends and colleagues is the trade off we get?

Hm. Does anyone get to contest in a civil ceremony? A belated last minute "...nooooOOOOOoooOOOOooooooooo" moment still possible to have happen? :lol:

If he had his specs, he might have seen a few pitfalls like this early enough to do something about them... :p

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

I'm a huge DL fan, but even I have to admit that the writers have really messed up the couple this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they're getting married and having a kid, I just think the way they're doing it, and the timing is all wrong. They still have deep issues they need to work through, which seem to have been brushed aside. And from I've seen of the wedding, I agree, its not what we DL fans were hoping for. They could've at least had Danny in a suit, and I can't believe they didn't want the rest of the team there. I would've thought at least Flack would've been there. Although it might be because he doesn't approve. I just wish the writers had waited a season or two, until the couple were on the right track again. It all seems very unrealistic. But, I'll take what I can get, its better than what my other ships are getting, so I go with it :lol:

PSG xxx

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Regarding "No Good Deed":

I might think Danny talking to Lindsay's stomach (about comic book heroes) is cute - if it wasn't in the middle of the dag-blasted lab!

The writers control what happens, so I don't want to hear any 'well, when else are they going to have those moments?' excuses - if the writers wanted them to be somewhere other than the lab (or even on a break in the breakroom at the very least), they could have done it.

I'm so tired of the complete inability to separate professional from personal (even though we are talking about Danny and Lindsay here). When you're working, work. When you're not working, teach your unborn child about the virtues of various comic book characters. If they'd had them sitting in the breakroom while Danny did it, and then they went back to work, I might have even *gasp* thought it was a nice moment. But it just grates my cheese when there continues to be zero differentiation between what is appropriate work behavior and what is appropriate not-work behavior.

Or maybe I'd eat it up if I thought they were cute in the first place. Honestly, take Lindsay out of the equation and I might not want to roll my eyes so hard they fall out of my skull.

12. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Totally agree, I thought 'sweet but not in the middle of the lab in front of everyone'. TPTB could have made it a really sweet scene by just changing the setting, like you said Faylinn on a break while they were alone would have been fine.

13. electra

electra Pathologist

So I have another scene with D/L to worry about? :scream:

IMO they have always been unprofessional.The difference in that Danny was inmature and interesting while Lindsay has always been bland.

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I could be wrong, but I thought that Lindsay was processing something and Danny was talking to her stomach whilst waiting for the results of something he was working on. Now clearly the behaviour wasn't work appropriate per se (or at all, at least it wouldn't be where I work), but I didn't actually think it was that bad. I might even go as far as to say that it made me smile. They were both technically still working, Danny was simply multi tasking perhaps? :lol:

15. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Yeah, Danny was waiting for a match on the fingerprints he found at the scene. He probably should have been doing something else while he was waiting though. I agree, the scene would have played better if they were in the breakroom or something.