Laurence/Raymond: Man of Mystery

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 28, 2008.

1. merlin222

merlin222 Victim

Re: Laurence/Raymond: The New Guy

You kiddin'? My dad was born exactly one month earlier! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This was featured in my local paper's entertainment section today!

FISHBURNE PUTS FNGERPRNTS ON HIGHLY POPULAR TV DRAMA

During a press conference last month on the sprawling set of CSI a journalist with a obviously little regard for his own well being asked Laurence Fishburne if he was intimated by the notion of joining TV's top-rated drama. "NO", the actor replied with his rich baritone voice that inspired the downtrodden to rise up against the machines in "The Matrix" and frightened the funk out of Tima Turner in "Wha'ts Love Got To Do With It". His response hung in the air for a few seconds until both cast and reporters burst into laughter. "It's Laurence Fishburne, man someone cracked. Fishburne whose last regular TV gig consisted of galloping around "Pee Wee's Playhouse" in a cowboy outfit, is stepping in for lead actor William Petersen, who left the series after 8 1/2 years, to presumably, roll around in his tons of money he collected as the star and ex. producer. Petersen never received much critical praise for his performance as Gil Grissom and unkempt [excuse me] self-contained Sherlock Holmes with an unhealthy curiosty towards bugs and insects, but his understated approach established the mood of the series. Fishburne's character Raymond Langston, a professor who lectured on the criminal mind before joining the team as an investigator, is decidedly different in both tone and posture. Fishburne who look's to be about 7 ft. tall and fully prepared to snap the neck of anyone who challenges his authority. Just how much Fishburne will play second fiddle to the drama's formula, and how much the audiences are willing to accept him, may be the most tantalizing mystery of the season. Early ratings suggest it may take some time. The first episode without Petersen drew 17.5 million viewers, a staggering number for a program that doesn't feature Simon Cowell, but about 11% drop from the seasons average. Kenneth Fink. who has directed nearly 50 episodes, admitted that Fishburne is still adapting to the pace of network TV. "He's a feature film actor, which means he's used to the rehearsal time and having that time to slowly set hmself into a scene", Fink said, but we're making the time for him and he's making the time for us. There's got to be give and take" "I've heard a lot of people talk about the grind of a series, but I haven't seen it yet' Fishburne said "I've go two responsibilities coming in and to service the show and that's tough after 9 years running, but trying to fit in and blend as harmomously as possible" Cast members say so far it's been a smooth transition and smooth sailing and laud their new co-star for his no-diva mentality and his work ethic!

Neal Justin..Star Tribune

3. Annika

Annika Prime Suspect

She was on Bones recently (again with David Boreanaz) and all I could think of was "kill Jasmine"

4. Desertwind

In Hollywood last night CSI had a 200th episode party, and everyone was there, here's one of LF and Billy!

LAURENCE AND BILLY

Courtesy of WPAP:thumbsup:

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I don't know about anyone else, but Ray is starting to grow on me. I really like him and LF is playing the role so well.

LF had some huge shoes to fit into and instead of trying to fit into them, he tossed them aside and wore his own shoes.

Good job dude!:thumbsup:

6. Desertwind

A tid-bit from the new TV Guide dated Feb. 16-March 1 on Laurence Fishburne~from a reader!

"Kudos to CSI for bringing on Laurence Fishburne. It's refreshing to see a rookie in there now.He'll never replace Grissom, but he works for me. name withheld, Marquette, Neb.

I just recently flipping channels came across 'What's Love Got To Do With It", where he portrays Ike Turner form the famed Ike and Tina Turner revue, wow:eek: he had a hugh Afro, and was much thinner and his face too, what a real a..hole and a brute, nasty and mean with a hair-trigger temper:klingon: he beat the crap out of her, for no apparent reason.. very violent. I was going this guy is a great actor, you'd never know it was the same soft-spoken gentle giant that were now experiencing on CSI~

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

My daughter and I watched Akeelah and the Spelling Bee (don't flame if I got that wrong). I could see Ray in his role as the professor who mentored the little girl to win a spelling bee championship. Quiet, unassuming with a tragic past.

Ray is certainly those, and Laurence plays it very well.

8. Desertwind

My daughter watched this last episode of CSI, they don't watch it anymore, "The Office" and "My Name IS Earl" replaced CSI, a bone of contention between us, but her take on LF and I thought this was a good accurate description, "He's a work in progress":bolian: for me, I think he's doing a good job so far.. it'll take time for him to show his true colors and his personailty!

9. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

^I disagree completely. He's an Oscar-nominated actor, and clearly immensely talented and hardworking. Hypothetically, every actor (or artist of any sort, for that matter), may always be a work in progress because they're always in the process of improving their art form, but he is clearly an amazing actor at this point in his career nonetheless. I think he's done an excellent job so far. I don't think anyone else could have done a better job than he has with the material provided.

10. Desertwind

That's fine, she meant he's fumbling about trying to fine his niche, on CSI/ this has nothing to do with his past career, which is stellar. He's trying hard to please everyone, and hasn't as of yet, for the fans shown his strong qualities, and what makes him tick. Experienced, yes, but he's the new guy on this #1 show, and time will tell how he fits in with the team, and shows his strengths!

11. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I'm confused. You said LF is a work in progress. Do you mean LF or Ray?

12. Desertwind

Well, Laurence Fishburne playing Dr. Langston a new role for him. We all know already he's a great actor [LF] but as the new role he's taken on as Dr. Langston, on CSI, that's what my daughter meant~

13. Desertwind

Laurence Fishburne was on "The View" yesterday, I just caught it, not knowing he was on before I walked out the door. He's charming, smooth, smart and extremely likeable and delightful. He looked awesome, He had on a tangerine shirt under a cool black jacket black slacks and suede tan boots. He talked about how much fun he was having on CSI, and how he was totally enjoying this new role, and how he knew Billy along time ago when they both frequented a bathouse in L.A. and would walk by and say "Hi Billy & Billy would say "Hi Larry" but didn't divulge any other factors as to when or where this was. The girls all laughed. He also talked about Obama and racism, and how it's changing for the better. A really nice sweet man!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Oh yeah. I agree. LF is an amazing actor.

My daughter and I loved watching him in Akeelah and The Bee. He's a such a quiet, thoughtful actor.

Yeah I saw him on The View he was very good, very intelligent. I like how he is taking time out to meet with the media and announce he's on CSI.

It was interesting how they all discussed a black actor replacing a white actor as the lead of the show. I never really gave it much thought because I was just happy LF joined the show as I've always liked him as an actor. But I could see the point, it is quite the accomplishment.

I guess I never saw it because I grew in inner city Toronto and went to a high school with a predominantly African/Carribbean community, so maybe I just don't know anything else.

Black or white, LF has brought a lot to this show.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  15. foxybandit

foxybandit Civilian

Thoroughly enjoyed 'kill me if you can' - great to see Ray on screen with Wendy - they seem to click together - must be that shared intelligence thing.