Episode 7x14 - 'Smoke Gets In Your CSIs' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

After all this lack of H/Cal scenes in the last 2 seasons, I honestly just didn't get a feel for Horatio's "worry". It came off as really fake to me. I saw him as merely just an actor saying to himself "ok, David, hold your head, look worried". It wasn't convincing. I couldn't get "in touch" with anyone's emotions, it just wasn't there. It's awfully sad considering they originally built up this team as such a supposed close-knit family. It rarely shows & that's such a disappointment. They badly need to stop focusing on other things & elaborate more on team togetherness, family, & crime solving.

Exactly why this episode fell flat on it's ass for me. ;)

& just as a note: I cannot stand how they're doing these flashes of them at the crime scenes while still showing them in between at the station. They're driving down the road, no, they're still there talking, oh wait, now thier at the location again. :wtf:
    and enough of the computer screens that hover the entire tv screen instead of showing a clear view of the character! :rolleyes:

2. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

I think the insinuation was the H did visit but we weren't show it. I believe there are 'issues' between the actors so it really didn't surprise me that we didn't see the scene.

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Let's say that the lack of team interaction in this episode was pretty sad and ridiculous, IMO.
    I mean Calleigh is the real rock of the team. When she was run off into canal, everyone asked her whether she was ok or something like this, even Natalia who was the last entry of our CSIs.

What we was today was pretty sad.
    Tara, the last entry of the team, was concerned about her and she told her that probably she wasn't ok. Since Calleigh told her she was fine (as always, being that stubborn she is) Tara didn't insist on it also because she doesn't know her that well.

Natalia didn't go to visit Eric when he was shot, but she was concerned, at least for one scene.
    Now, I'm not saying she should have visited Calleigh (I do think that maybe it would have been out of character), but I would have loved to see a little bit of concern.
    Gosh she was concerned whene Calleigh was kidnapped (which far less life-threatening than her blocked alvoelus) and she's not concerned about Callieigh who's not breathing on her own? :rolleyes:

But the person who disappointed me was Ryan :scream:. Sorry, but even if Calleigh told him she was fine, I do not accept him not asking anything about her even when he was on the phone with Eric.
    He was with her during the fire and he was concerned about her when she wasn't jumping off the attic to get the body.
    Do they really want us to believe that? This is not Ryan Wolfe and, IMO, it was like considering us stupid.

I know that what I'm going to say will hurt lots of people in here, but quite honestly, I can't get over this thought.
    They wanted to put Calleigh & Eric together in this episode? Well I'm glad they did it (yeah I do think they're officially together now), but I don't want it to interfer with the team spirit we used to have before any romance between these 2 ;).

What I saw today was E/C (btw I do liked those moments :thumbsup:) intereferring with the team spirit we could have had without thier "romantic" moments.
    I would love not to see anymore :p

Also Alexx not visiting Calleigh later was a little bit weird, but at least we had "baby stay with me, stay with me, stay with me" and her update in the ending scene with H.

As for Horatio, he did even more than I imagined: he waited for Alexx to update him on Calleigh's conditions

Too bad we had this lack of team spiriti 'cause the idea of the inhalation & the medical stuff was pretty good considering 2 weird episodes like "Nailed" and "Man Down" (gosh the most idiot episode ever in terms of medical stuff, IMO)

4. gopens

gopens Victim

I think the team has lost that "family" tight knight feel and it is a shame because it adds to the emotion and drama of the show. Even just one nice scene at the end with everyone visiting would have added so much more to the episode, instead it kind of had a cold feeling as far as the rest of the team is concerned.

5. HipHuggers#1Fan

HipHuggers#1Fan Rookie

The weird thing about this is that in the promo they were like "It will bring this team closer together again." Not the exact words but something like that. And in this episode the team was so scattered. It doesn't fit very well.

But I still LOVED it. What can I say?*shrugs guiltily* I am a sucker for romance.:adore:

6. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

My feeling for this episode is weird, I've been waiting for it for months but this morning when I finally watched it I felt like something was missing. It started so good, the first 15 minutes were great: the fire was fantastic, the concern for Calleigh at the murgue was great and I really freaked out when Calleigh had her crisis during the interrogation. After we see Calleigh intubated everything falls flat. Not that the case is not interesting, it is, but it looks like when Calleigh is not around csiMiami falls asleep. It didn't need so much more, just a "How is calleigh?" or "Some has news from the hospital?". God, that's so cold! The team is supposed to be a family, the only family Calleigh has in Miami, beside her alcoholic father:rolleyes:. Eric is not the team, I can understand they want to put them together but, Holy Cow, they have talked about this thing for two years without being able to put them together, was it really that necessary to take a whole episode to do it? Do they really have to put her in coma to do it? Even because I think Eric should have repeated the things he said when she was awake, but that's something to discuss somewhere else.

I know it does not look like it, but I really liked the episode but I think I liked it because Emily Procter did one of those performances that takes your breath away, not because it was well written or a majestic episode. There were really good scenes and really boring ones, I would say it looks like it has been written by two different people who wanted two different things!

So, Kudos to Emily, good job to the cast in general but TPTB could have done better!

7. SkittlezPony

SkittlezPony Victim

Loved it Love It Loved It. :drool:
    Squeeling with joy for Eric admitting his undying love finally..about darn time.
    Second thoughts.....OMG all that blood and all those surgical instruments in that guys house which was more like a creepy dungeon.

I liked the opening sequence with Calleigh and Ryan and the whole lead up to the explosion/fire.

Im a huge Calleigh/Eric fan. Calleigh is my favorite character of all time and the others are just secondary for me lol I dont know why but shes always been my fave.

I know how everyone says Horatio makes the show but Horatio just plain annoys me 90 percent of the time. What a weird way he stands and the creepy way he looks at people.

I definately think Alexx needed more interaction with all the team members. It was great having her back but if their gonna bring her back why not bring her back in a more team reuniting way. She only saw Horatio Eric and Calleigh.

Squeels and hugs the CSI Miami writers. I have a really bad obsession with Josh Stewart:drool::drool::drool::drool:!! aka the man with the sexiest accent ever :) He was on Third Watch and Criminal Minds and a few other shows. He plays the guy their interrogating when Calleigh collapses.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It was like part of the script was snuck in by a FF writer, & the other part of the script (the team's) was accidently swapped with a completely different episode, one where thier teammate wasn't hospitalized. Suppose there was a mix up & they need to stop eating those special brownies. :vulcan:

9. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

I agree with all that said they were disappointed in the fact that no one except Horatio and of course Eric, was at the hospital and that the others didn't even wonder about Calleigh's condition. However, there were also some really great moments.

The opening scene with Ryan and Calleigh was cute. "Do you know you drive like a mad woman?" "So, what is going on between you and Delko by the way?" "I love the smell of decomp in the morning". And RYAN was in JEANS!?!? Super hot!

The hospital scene with Eric was incredible. I was screaming say it say it "I Love You" then when he whispered "I don't know if I could live my life without you" I about died! The watch was a cute touch. I also like the end scene with Calleigh and Eric how she told him that she heard every word he said. If only the writers had filled in the gaps better and put in more of a connection between the CSI's in support for Calleigh. Now that Calleigh and Eric's feelings are out in the open, I'm just wondering how long it would be until they get it on! LOL:thumbsup: It was great to see Alexx again. I miss her, the morgue just isn't the same without her.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  10. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Ok I actually really liked this epiosde in general but things did bother me. Like shouldn't of Cal and Ryan both been sent straight to the hospital to be checked out? If not - when Cal was having the issues - shouldn't Ryan been sent to be checked out as well? Something seems off to me about that whole situation.

The Ryan cutting blood issue - really hoping that doesn't come back to haunt him.

Her chewing gum - I was like uh oh she is gonna choke on it. :eek:

No Ryan or Natalia at the hospital worrying about Cal. I think they should have been there at least at some point.

NO Ryan and Alexx scene. :rolleyes: That bothered me as well.

Just a quick observation -
    That doctor's place was really creepy. :eek:

11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Exactly, the first part was just great, actually brilliant.
    Surely the fire, the water and the gum were very interesting, not to mention that it was played out in a very good way.
    Same thing for the ER scene ;)
    Once she's there in coma, everythign slows down and all the tension around her condition kinda disappears.
    Plus they were all happily investigating also in the pharamic or that kidney transporter stuff as if nobody was there in coma.
    I mean gosh they almost lost a member of they team and they're able to smile as if anythig happened? :wtf: That's wierd.

Exactly, surely the first part was written in a very good way, also the discourse between Calleigh & Ryan about her driving skills and their exchanges in the attic. Same thing for the whole inhalation stuff which was pretty good, IMHO.
    The second part, especially the one with Eric at the hospital....well it was like reading a FF. Surely, I would have never imagined Calleigh waking up and once talking with Eric telling him "it was like dream".
    I know poeple can hear things even if they're in coma, but making her tell "it was like a dream" well it was a little bit too much. It really sounded more like a FF than a scene from an actual episode :shifty:
    I do think that if they went on with the first part, we woould have had at least everyone asking for her conditions.

Thank god we have Emily for episodes like this :thumbsup:

12. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

Thank God we have Emily for every episode! :p

13. HipHuggers#1Fan

HipHuggers#1Fan Rookie

THank God we have Emily!!!!!!!!!!!

14. electra

electra Pathologist

I am more of a casual viewer but I did enjoy the episode .Some things are unrealistic but this is Miami afterall.E/C moments were very well done and the writers are really paying attention to their relationship.

I even liked Ryan in this episode.

I do agree about natalia and Ryan not going to the hispital.

15. miamifan08

miamifan08 Police Officer

Ok, all this negativity about this episode is making me sad...I'm playing devil's advocate.

I LOVED THIS EPISODE!! I thought it was very well written and played out by all involved and they should be very proud of themselves. the E/C moments were played out very well and I loved the beginning, the Ryan running scene :drool:, and the end with Horatio and Alexx was great to watch.

Seriously guys, we all have our opinions, but I'm just saying that I think we compare Miami to much to the original and NY. We want to see the character bonding and interaction we see on those two and in some cases we do, but not seeing them (espeically in this episode) does not mean for a moment that the writers have failed. Lets think back to why we love this show to begin with...we're not always going to get the character interaction we want. Ryan and Eric are NEVER going to be as tight as Warrick and Nick and Horatio will remain the super hero we all love and are slightly annoyed by from time to time. :)

In many cases some of you are right, it would have been nice to see the whole team in the hospital and the whole team interact with Alexx at some point but not seeing that happen does not make the the scenes with Calliegh in the ER or the last moments of the episode with Eric any less realistic. The writers and directors had something in mind when they wrote and directed this epsisode and I thought They kicked butt!!!

But I digress, I got a bit off topic:), but I felt this episode needed to be vindicated a bit from the negativity.

I hope you all still like me. :)