The Student Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Well, it's back to the grind for me. Yesterday was my first day back to university after the holidays, and the beginning of a new semester, which means new classes. I've had three so far, and already have 5 essays to write :brickwall:

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

BLeh, I'm in the middle of exams right now. Tomorrow's my first: General Linguistics. And although I absolutely love this course, I'm still dreading the exam.

The only dates I'm not looking forward to at all are January 26, 27 and 28.
    26: Anglosaxon History
    27: German Literature (oral :()
    28: English Proficiency

I have an oral German proficiency exam next week, which I hope is gonna work out well, cuz I haven't been to even one of his classes. Argh, I can hear him already: "Why weren't you here during the whole semester?" "Er... I'd rather work than come to your classes?" Bleh.

Oh, and something I learned today: Chomsky = God :D

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

ive still got almost two weeks left until classes start :lol: ive gotten so lazy, i dont know how im going to get back into the swing of things! for first semester i pretty much went from school to school, since i had to take organic chemistry over the summer as a prereq. i took that exam on a thursday and got on the plane to grenada 3 days later. talk about cutting it close eh? :lol:

but yeah, my days are going to be longer than first term and apparently our class has gained some people who didnt get to move onto third term :wtf: hopefully ill be ok!

4. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I don't start back into classes until next week.
    I love school, but I've kind of enjoyed waking up and not worrying about homework and stuff like that. :)

At least I'll be going about the same amount of time as I was first semester, and I don't have a class that meets everyday, Monday through Thursday like I did have. I'm happy about that. And I won't have any classes on Friday again!
    But I will have a Biology Lab class that meets at 6 pm every Thursday that I'm not looking forward to.

5. Stee

Stee Lab Technician

I'm in the middle of the exam period rigth now. I've had 2 exams this week (yeah it's just Wednesday :shifty:) and I'm having 3 more for next week...but fortunately no oral exams, I'm better at writing :)
    and now I think you're gonna be jealous: the spring semester starts in the middle of February :D I don't know how, it always started in the beginning, but I'm happy I can finally do what I want and maybe work something or just search for one for the spring semester, as the scholarship I recieve is not much at all:rolleyes:

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I go back on Monday and I'm totally ready for it. The month off was nice but I need something else to do with my day than reading. I've read so many books because hours at work have been hard to get. I am excited for my art classes I get to take a metals class, I'm always up for playing with fire. :lol:

7. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

I start back Monday also but I am not ready or looking forward to it. I got 4 exams nd 2 assignments to look forward too :(

8. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I have come with a request :angel:

For my course Contemporary UK, we received several possible exam questions, all involving the typical British way of life. Going from British humour, over religion and music to fantasy and the class system. I was wondering if some Brits could give me some inside info on how Brits think.
    I would especially appreciate some info on muslim communities in the UK (puppy looks to Soph :D), since there ain't a lot of info on that in my course book. But info on how all religions live side by side in general would be greatly appreciated.

And also, British humour! Jokes, sitcoms, good stand-up comedians, anything that comes to mind, shoot away. :)

PM or here, your choice ;)

Thanks in advance!

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i don't start classes until next week as well. and it has been EXTREMELY nice waking up and not worrying about homework. i stay in a doorm on campus and it was so freakin nice to sleep in my own bed at home. i love it that my mom cooks and my grandma is down the road from me and i don't have my roommates around me all the time. i am good friends with my one roommate so we hung out over the break quite a few times. we had some obsurd drama with our one roommate that i am not looking forward to going back to but we're just gonna ignore her.

i have enjoyed getting up, getting in the shower, going downstairs for some tea, and sitting on the couch with a good book for about 2 hours. then after that i usually go watch some movies.

eh all this complaining and loving staying home i kinda can't wait to go back to school and my doorm.

10. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

About British humour the main thing I find and I'm British born and bred is that sarcasm is quite a big thing. We are quite open and up front about humour and will comfortably take the mick out of ourselves we do on a hell of a lot of Tv shows such as Little Britain. I mean i am very sarcastic and i know a lot of friends who are and my friends who aren't english sometimes don't quite get it.

Good comedians... Bill Bailey, Lee Evans, Billy Connely, Jimmy Carr

I could think of more but my brain is stuck i should know more.

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Yesterday was the last day of classes for me. Now I just have one essay, and three final exams to go

...then I have two weeks off before I start summer classes :lol:

12. fatalze

fatalze Rookie

I'm not in school this semester (and not for summer either), since I had to drop classes in the middle of last winter cause I managed to catch mono (and became anemic and generally sickly) and couldn't participate in many of the projects. I was going for my BA in Fine Arts, major of Photography. But I took all of my classes online, and I really want to attend something in a real school setting.. and photography isn't the best subject for a weak economy if I want to make money.

Next fall I begin new school in Network and Electronic Forensics. Right now I am studying hard for my A+ and Security+ certifications. I test for A+ very soon, I hope the test doesn't put me to sleep like the dvds I use to study for it.

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

rain, pubs, humor, rain, football, rain, moaning, humor, rain, beer, fish and chips.... :lol:

I agree with all that, i think its our humour/sarcasm and abilty to take the mick out of ourselves that make us Brits :) The class system is a lot different from that of the US, I have 2 american exchange students at my college and they agree it is completely different.... and like Dawni said they really struggled to grasp our humour when they first arrived.

Ok school system:
    4-11yrs= Primary School

11-16yrs= Sceondary School- at the end of this time students sit, GCSE's (General Certificate of Secondary Education) which can be in a number of subjects from Sports to History to Art but they all have to take Maths/English/Science.

16-18yrs= College- throughout these 2 years students sit A levels (Advanced levels) in around 3-5 subjects... this always depends on the student and what they do. However the student has to have achieved a certain amount of GCSEs (depending on the subject) to take the course. Its not the US and achieving a certain amount of credits, you have to achieve the results from exams.

18yrs+= University- courses usually take 3 or more years depending on the course. However it costs a lot less to attend universities than it does in america. Just like achieving a certain amount of GCSEs to study A levels, you need a certain amount ot Alevels to study at University, which give you a ceratin of number of points depending on the grade you achive. The more points the more likely you can go to a better university.

More info at this wiki page

I think that the different areas around the UK shape the British way of life, there are many different accents and many slang 'lanuages' that are specific to different areas. Also, differnt areas have different traditions/festivals that usual invole the local pubs, which I would say are a huge part of the British way of life :) Especially in small towns or villages where the pub is usually the main focal point/meeting place.

Hope that helped :)

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The end of the semester is fast approaching, luck Meg being out already. :p lol

Then it's time for the crazy 3 week summer classes....some how I managed to get the classes I need in the same three weeks...odd indeed.

Thankfully after this semester is done I only have 3 left before being done with school. :D

15. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

It would've really helped; but the exam was in January :D
    Thanks for the info anyway, it's never lost ;)

Oh, and I rocked that exam btw, 85%. :cool: