Grade 'Forbidden Fruit'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 17, 2008.

?

How would you grade Forbidden Fruit?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. A

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. B+

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Oh, we never do that here, don't worry. :shifty:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Stella doesn't tell Angell (or Danny if he gets involved). It just seems like she wouldn't want someone to tell her that she should listen to Mac's order. If she's so adamant about catching these guys, and if she decides to ignore Mac's order, she's not going to tell Angell. It's just my opinion, but I really doubt that Stella would mention it.

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I didn’t have a chance to get a review in before the holidays, so this isn’t very timely, but thought I’d throw it in anyway before the season resumes.

Overall, I thought this was one of the stronger episodes of the season. The case had enough unusual elements (the fruit, DNA masking, etc.) to hold my interest and the writers did a good job with the character work, giving all some meaningful scenes and even throwing in a few pairings that we don’t see frequently (Stella/Angell, Danny/Adam).

It’s especially refreshing to see two strong women like Stella and Angell working together on an ongoing case and I hope to see more of that pairing (although I have a bad feeling about where their investigation may lead).

As promising as the forbidden fruit case seemed, however, I have to take points away for the resolution. The killer’s motive didn’t seem strong or deep enough to result in such a hateful and horrible murder. And additional points off as well for the Lindsay demonstration scene. A few seasons back this type of thing might’ve been cute given that Lindsay and Danny seemed to be competing for Mac’s attention and good will, but if writers are remaking Lindsay’s character, they might consider upping her professionalism as well. It’s great that Mac reminded her that he’s the boss and she shouldn’t be wasting his time with these shenanigans, but next time, maybe he shouldn’t fold like a rug and end up humoring Lindsay anyway.

Moving on, I thought the Danny/Linsday scene worked well, but like others, I found myself distracted by the notion that in the space of one episode, she progressed from an early stage pregnancy (which apparently was not visible to anyone) to one that is advanced enough that they can feel the baby kicking. That said, I’m glad the writers are moving this storyline along and not subjecting the audience to numerous congratulatory scenes or angst about the marriage issue.

Re: the Mac/Ella storyline, it didn’t squick me out as much as expected – probably because both actors did a good job with the material, especially the scene in the supermarket. Mac had just the right air of polite wariness and Ella, an air of “forced” naturalness. The one false note in the whole scenario was the ending, when Mac rushed over to Ella’s apartment and carried her out like a knight in shining armor. Surely, a seasoned detective like Mac would call in to central dispatch so the nearest police and EMT unit could respond, but I guess they needed the dramatic effect and a way to reinforce Ella’s obsession. I’m curious to see where they are going with this and whether Mac will now stay as far away from Ella as possible (since he should realize now that she has an unhealthy fixation) or will continue to be involved in some way because he feels responsible and/or guilty. Either way, no good is likely to come of this one.

Nor will the Greek coin storyline end well, I fear. It seems a bit OOC for Stella to be so obsessed with this particular case and the only way her reaction works for me is if it’s supposed to be a cumulative effect from her experiences with Frankie, Drew, etc. Also, despite the toughness, I’ve always seen Stella as more of a nurturer/protector, so it doesn’t really fit that she would involve Angell while keeping her in the dark about Mac’s order. But if that’s where the writers are heading, it will certainly put some tarnish on Stella’s character.

It will be interesting to see the effect on Mac and Stella’s relationship as well. I think Mac and Stella both take certain things for granted in their relationship. Mac seems to expect Stella’s unconditional support, personally and professionally, but doesn’t always respond in kind, especially when it comes to emotional support. On the other hand, Stella doesn’t always acknowledge Mac’s role as her boss and take account of the difficult position he is in professionally when she pushes the boundaries. And interestingly enough, they each enable these behaviors in the other. Cases in point: Mac commends Stella for bending the rules and finding a way to keep Adam around; meanwhile, Stella turns down Mac’s offer of a room after her apartment burns down.

This situation could lead to some interesting character work for both Mac and Stella, but in a crime series like this one, the writers may not be able and/or willing to delve too deeply into this type of character drama. Either way, I am looking forward to a showdown (hopefully, well written) between these two where all the frustrations finally come out.

I do wonder if the writers had Mac order Stella to stand down so there can be some official consequences for her actions. It’s possible Stella could be suspended and even demoted if the case ends badly. And if the writers really want to extend the arc, she could possibly be reassigned as a homicide detective. That way, some of season six could be devoted to seeing how Mac and the team function without Stella and then finding a way to bring her back and rebuild the relationships. We’ll see how it unfolds.

As for this episode, I think it accomplished what it needed to do – entertained for an hour and set up some intriguing storylines which peaked my interest in the second half of the season.

Grade = B+

3. GTuruturu

GTuruturu Witness

I've been out of the online world for awhile so just going through and reading I've come across a lot of posts about the d/l baby, and timing, and as well as Stella, just the basics right

so i think i have and explanation, reject it if you please: but this whole season has been skewed time wise right, with the hostage cliff hanger we pretty much picked up the season again in september with the story set in may-ish. Danny and Lindsay got back together (as in i think the baby could have been concieved at any then or after) personal foul. they really haven't given us any time/date lately except the rat fisherman was 3 months ago..so in all likelyhood thme skipping ahead a few weeks here and there in the preggers story, not the biggest deal.

well that's timing, as for Stella, i love when she goes against Mac, the fighting, the rambo stella from season one, and angell, well she's a big girl, and isn't mac technically not her boss, i'm thinking Mac/Sheldon v Flack/Gerrard from season 3 raising shane... idk, just thought i'd voice my opinion, see what ya all thought =)

one week people =)

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

LOL, yeah, I think Lindsay probably didn't realize she was pregnant until a couple of months in (if we believe her "couple of weeks" comment to Danny in "The Box") and Danny's just a dope and probably thought Lindsay was just getting fat. :lol:

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I think you are right. It looks like perhaps a couple of months has passed in between the last two episodes. Not a big deal, but it can be jarring when they make a time shift like that and events are assumed to be happening offscreen. And it becomes even more disjointed if the writers don't progress other storylines in the same way. For example, if two months or more have passed just in the last couple of episodes, what is the status of Adam's job and the budget cuts that seemed so pressing several episodes ago?

Yeah, Mac is not Angell's boss, so technically his order doesn't apply to her. But if IIRC, one of Mac's concerns was that elements of the Greek coin case were now being handled by Major Cases, so it would seem that both Stella and Angell might be consciously treading on someone else's turf by pursuing the case. In any case, I don't think that absolves Stella from the responsibility to tell Angell about Mac's order so she can make a fully informed decision about whether to continue, especially if they won't have access to resources that normally would be available.

6. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I LOVE ON DEMAND!!!
    Last week I went to the cable company and got a digital cable box that looks like a large vcr or dvd player. Well, I had to take it back to the cable company today so they could get the ON DEMAND working. I'm so happy I can still watch this episode till Wednesday. Best part: VERY FEW, PRACTICALLY NO commercials. So soon as I finish watching it...I'll grade and review it. ;)
    Don't you just love ON DEMAND???

^^In that post^^ I quoted I said I slept through the first 25 minutes. Well, after watching it on ON DEMAND I can now say that I feel I didn't miss much. It didn't get interesting till where I started watching it when it first aired. That is why I'm giving this episode a B+.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I was a bit frustrated by the ending of the show. When Ella called Mac with her "distress" call and he took off and busted into her apartment to "save" her. I was getting a stalker vibe from her when she ran into him at the market. I was thinking that Mac should be smarter than that, since he is a detective. But, I guess it is easier to see things from the outside and easy to miss things when you are stuck in the middle of a situation.

I thought the Danny/Lindsay baby kicking scene was cute. It made me smile.

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

ITA with you. When she met him at the market i didn't think it was "casual" at all

Ella seems to be a very interesting storyline for future episodes:thumbsup:Hopefully it will be developed in 3 or 4 episodes and not just in another one:thumbsup:

Btw Axel from the Smacked Family said in facebook someone created the "Ella and Mac" profile. I don't know who is creepier at this point;):lol:

Debbs:thumbsup: