Grade 'The Box'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 26, 2008.

?

How would you grade The Box?

1. A+

35 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. A

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I`m actually neutral about this episode.
    It wasn`t good or bad,it didn`t have any high points but just streamed along like a little river.

Not much to keep in mind or be either positive or negative about

2. Vertigirl

Vertigirl Hit and Run

well well..i gave it an A+
    - i really liked the case
    - i'm a D/L shipper
    - flack and danny were sooo gorgeous :D

3. AllyOz

AllyOz Civilian

I always drop by this site after a new ep just read what people have to say. Usually it is quite insightful and helps me see sides of the episode that I may have missed. All in all, it helps me appreciate the episode more.

That said, it really gets me down when people rave on for 8 paragraphs about how terrible Lindsay is, especially in this episode.

I honestly don't think it was that bad. In fact, the pregnancy was handled quite well.

As much as I love Danny, you have to admit that he did pull away during the whole Ruben situation (no slight against Danny - I'm just stating a fact). Therefore, you can understand Lindsay be wary of bringing up something as serious as pregnancy. The last serious/life changing thing almost ruined their relationship and sent Danny heading for the hills!

I can see how she would have no expectations considering how well Danny deals when things get too serious and, as Danny said, 'things haven't really been the same'. Let's face it, pregnancy can be very scary at the best of times and if she doesn't feel that secure in the relationship then it is best to tell him.

And it is all very well saying how Lindsay should handle a situation but no-one can be rational 100% of the time when their heart is involved.

Don't get me wrong, in no way is Lindsay perfect but it is not all just about how much Danny hurts, just as it isn't in any real relationship.

I love Danny. He is definitely one of my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean that I can't see his faults...

I honestly don't mean to upset anyone. I just think that it doesn't hurt to see things from someone else's (Lindsay's) POV, without bias.

Now that's out of the way...

Storyline - Nothing that I haven't seen before...
    Pregnant woman having her baby cut out by baby stealers who want to raise the child (Bones episode); Body being crushed in a car (Again, Bones episode).

Still, it's always nice to see a CSI:NY take on things.

D/L pregnancy - As I said, handled quite realistically. I don't think Lindsay is going to get a happy ending though, but then I don't think she is expecting it. Can't wait to see Mini!Danny!

Mac - Loved him and Flack in the interrogation room. He had be smirking right along with him at the end of that scene.

Flack - ADORE HIM! I look forward to any scene he is in.

Hawkes & Sid - Always enjoy them working together but they didn't really hold my attention in this ep.

Adam - Always has me smiling. You think he would be past referring to Hawkes as 'Dr Hawkes' though. I mean, Mac is just Mac...

Stella - Not really much to say about Stella in this ep.

Danny - Brilliant acting it this ep. Kept me gripped for his scenes. Not totally sure it is appropriate to be talking things over with the victim's family though...

Lindsay - Not really much to do with the case in this ep (but I suppose there was other stuff going on). I think the D/L scenes were pretty good.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A-

I don't know what I was expecting with this episode, but when I heard it would be Danny-centric, I definitely wasn't dreading it. Danny--who is a far from perfect character--is my favorite (along with Flack) and easily the most complex character on the show. And the way Danny grappled with it felt real to me. Danny wears his heart on his sleeve--of course he confided in strangers, in the same way he got surly with the son of a gypsy cab driver in "The Dove Commission." Inappropriate expressions of emotion, thy name is Danny Messer. :lol: I think the parents were probably grateful for the distraction; if Danny hadn't been there, all they'd be thinking about was how they sent their daughter away to her death. The pretty prattling detective could at least distract them from their guilt for a few minutes. ;)

Is Danny self-involved? Sure. But he's been hit with a major bombshell. He didn't run away, either, despite basically being told nothing was expected of him. Not that anyone who really knows him would think he'd run away; Danny has many flaws, but taking responsibility for his actions isn't one of them.

Lindsay really is nothing more than a love interest for Danny at this point, but she was inoffensive in this episode. I didn't quite feel for her, but then, the episode wasn't set up so that we would. It was Danny's story, not Lindsay's--a wise choice. That being said, I quite liked the scene in the locker room and I thought Anna was good in the episode.

The case tied nicely in with Danny's story, and I was involved all the way through. I would have liked to see a little more reaction from the girl's parents though.

The minus because of that completely cheesy scene of Danny riding around on his motorcycle. Good point about the helmet, La Guera (and great assessment all around)--it just completely made the scene ridiculous. That cheeseball scene wasn't needed.

To be fair, it's a totally different situation. The first was one that Lindsay wasn't involved in, and what's more, she couldn't bring herself to reach out to Danny during it because she's "not good at this kind of thing." If you want to be objective, you have to look at both sides. ;)

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I don't think anyone is saying that Danny shouldn't shoulder his share of the blame for the deterioration of their invisible relationship, or that Lindsay shouldn't have serious misgivings about this. Of course she should. However, while it might not be all about Danny, the writers have gone out of their way to say that as far as Lindsay is concerned, it's all about her. She's reluctant to tell Danny she's pregnant, yet her comments gave a clear impression that she considers him an irresponsible jerk, and never let us mind that she happily taste-tested Danny's Nathan's famous without taking responsibility for the possible consequences.

She's labeling Danny a bad father before he even has a chance to be a father, and she did it in a horribly hurtful way. This from a woman who spent episodes bleating mournfully that she was oh-so-hurt that Danny had the temerity to grieve privately. It's ridiculously hypocritical, and what's even worse is that Lindsay has never been brought to task by the other characters. Danny, on the other hand, gets blasted every time he breathes. As far as TPTB are concerned, Danny is the perpetual villain, whereas Montana Mary Sue Self-Insert Monroe is ever the wounded martyr. It's irksome and utterly wrong-headed, and it rubs me the wrong way every time I see it.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. More than any personality flaw Lindsay has, this might be my biggest pet peeve about her, and major reason for disliking her. Danny messes up all the time and admits that he's wrong. Lindsay never does. Lindsay couldn't deal with Danny when he was grieving, so rather than taking her part in the blame for the fact that he didn't go to her, she turned it all around on him and made him the bad guy for not going to her with his grief. Danny pays for his actions; Lindsay doesn't. I'd actually sympathize with her character more if she was held accountable now and then and didn't try to pass off all the blame on Danny at every turn!

7. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'll take another break from the Thanksgiving preparations to give my 2cents

First this episode was not only a rip off of Bones but of CSI LV. Bodies in Motion with the body in the trunk of a car and the decomp juice. And Bad to the Bone with the baby taken out of the dead mothers uterus. I know some writers left CSI LV and went to CSI NY but ... :rolleyes:
    But, somehow it seemed to work.

Det. Flack is how shall I say this... very easy on the eyes. He can wear a flour sac and still be hot, hot hot. I loved his casual outfit.
    I'm a Mac/Stella shipper so it made me happy that they were everywhere together in this episode. I'm still thinking they are living together and the Gillian woman is a ruse to direct attention away from that fact... :D

Anyway on to the case. Yeah, it worked for CSI NY. I guess you can't change the storyline that much. NY just put their own spin on it. I did enjoy it.

Mac had me laughing when he was talking about physics to the suspect. Being a Mac fan, this is one of my favorites. And that's what I said to my husband after that scene.. "got to love Mac."

So now for the Danny/Lindsay stuff. Okay, what I don't understand is that Danny is a scientist.. how come he didn't know that Lindsay was pregnant? UMMM Put the pieces together.. you saw her in a clinic seeing a OB, she went to barf when you were talking to her, she looked pale in the face. At least she did to me. How come you didn't put it together that she was pregnant??? I guess he's right, things haven't been the same between them since they 'got back together'. He doesn't notice those things .... HMMM
    Makes me wonder how he's going to handle parenthood if he can't notice 'something' was wrong with Lindsay. :rolleyes:

The whole Lindsay pregnant storyline rubs me the wrong way. I was curious on how they planned to do it. It just seemed rushed and put together. As a Danny/Rikki shipper of course the storyline of Lindsay going to back to Danny in the first place put me off, but I don't think this was handled well. I still think Anna's pregnancy could have been written into the show without it automatically being a Danny/Lindsay shipper moment.

I guess overall a B-
    Not very original but workable despite the D/L stuff

8. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Ok... I'm with most people on the I didn't know what i was expecting from the episode I had mixed feelings being that i like DL but i didnt want to see it handled in a way we'd cringe at it and go nooo.

The case looked cool and was pretty wierd in the way the body was found did make me go yuck but it wasnt anything we hadn't seen in the case more in the way it presented itself and the way it was told.

I love Danny is my fave character however this season he has moved to second because of Flack who woo's me every episode and sends me into teenage giggles. I liked the way that they told it i thought it was clever in that respect with Danny almost telling the story like a narrator but I think that allowed it to lack from the rest of the show I'm not sure in what but there was something.

The bike ride was random i really didn't like his jacket in it, Black leather would have been far nicer.

The whole DL stuff, I wasn't like OMG its awful I enjoyed how they did it and that it was realistic in many senses. Lindsay would be scared and its a big thing to tell the person you kind of want to be sure in yourself and every test to say yes its there i'm definately pregnant. The sickness added to the moment very well, I enjoyed the whole scene Anna did play it well because you want to tell they so much but how to tell them is different when the moments there. Both did really well.

The end scene.... it was cringy but also I was so happy that they didn't hold hands, proved that its not going to be ok and its a big thing.

On the others... loved the Mac/Flack scene in interogation its great to see them in there you always know you're not getting out scott free.

Stellas white shirt.... I seriously want it I was admiring it the whole time going oooh so nice.

Hawkes and Sid was nice to see Sid outta autopsy and getting stuck in.

And Adam is still cute, its the grin which makes me smile

Only bummed bout the 2 week wait... way to kill the moment.

If none of this makes sense i apologise i'm full off cold so sniffling and mistyping constantly so in my head it sounds ok.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  9. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would. I found Danny talking to the parents a little weird, but that was more to do with the fact that what he was saying was interspersed with details about their daughter’s case rather than the fact he was personally disclosing to them. In terms of the disclosure, I think the parents were definitely happy with the distraction, and really who could blame them for that. I’ve spent enough time with/breaking bad news to grieving relatives in my professional life to know that often people do want to know something about the person who has that connection with their loved one at the end of their life (in this case Danny as one of the detectives investigating).

I loved the locker room scene and I think both Carmine and Anna nailed it. Danny had a fantastic mix of frustration and worry, and Lindsay a mix of self determination and vulnerability. :thumbsup:

The one part I absolutely hated was the Danny on the Harley scene. It was overdone, cheesy and looked to me like a piss take of a boy band music video, with the melodic strains of their latest release playing in the background. :rolleyes:

I liked the ending. Again, I thought it was realistic. I think anything else would have been too much. All in all, I think tptb used the ‘Danny telling a story’ approach to show a greater depth to his feelings, it came off so much better than if they’d have just had Lindsay and the ‘big reveal’ followed by a deep and meaningful conversation and a declaration of love.

I really didn't see it like that at all. I thought her struggle to tell him was understandable, particularly if (as Danny seemed to believe) she has her suspcions about what happened with Rikki. I personally believe that any woman going through an unplanned pregnancy who is in a relationship that isn't clear is going to be reluctant to tell the father. Her 'I know you' and 'I don't expect anything' stemmed from her own insecurities about their relationship rather than a belief that Danny wouldn't be a good father, at least that's how I interpreted it.

10. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

mm what can you say..

i do NOT like that they use her pregnansy in the show and i think they just could done it like last time she was pregnant... cover it up.
    and you can she that she is longer than a few weeks along. thats just stupid.....

i love Carmine he is an wonderful actor...
    and he make it work. i like that back looking thing.
    first i thought he was talking to a shrink!! i think that Danny needs that..
    :)

the plot was great..

i havent been here fore a wile and i have just tonight watch 5 episodes of csi Ny cuz my computer has been to the doctor and i just got it back yesterday. so im kinda whaaaattt but i like the ep. beside the hole pregnant thingy....... :(

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ive never had time lately to post after an ep but I thought I should this time. I havent had time to read all the posts yet but i will later. I gave this ep a B+ overall.

I still havent made my mind up about the whole Danny POV thing throughout the episode, I think it, in some way, made it seem slow and pulled your attention away from the actually episode. Also, I didnt really understand why Danny would be sharing details of his past few days to two total strangers whose daughter had been killed and were waiting for their grandchild. I did laugh at the line about here being from Moantana and couldnt helpbut think about what Top's post was going to be like :lol:. However I think the way it fitted into the DL thing worked quite well. I thought that the writers may have made a more cringe worthy job of the but then again its sometimes the acting that may let it down. I used to be a fan of Lindsay and anna etc but the more she has to be emotional the more I cnat help but shiver and laugh. Although I think she did ok in some parts compared with others- if that makes sence, i dont really think she made a hash of the whole thing. Like you said above I didnt like the fact how Lindsay prejudged Danny's reaction as being negitive.

I liked the scene with Danny on his bike seeing as we've never had a scene with him riding before but I think it lasted a little too long in my opinion. I like the fact that we were shown what he does to get away and think but it did drag on a little. Overall i think the actually writing of the DL development was the right way to go about it.

I loved the Mac and Flack interrigation scene with that guy, thinking he'd got one over on the detectives and Mac goes into his nerd mode explaining :) I just loved the look on both ther faces- especially when Flack held up his hand and waved it a little before they left. I thought it was interesting to see Flack in jeans, in guessing he was on call and in the middle of something when he got the call.

I loved the Hawkes and Sid scenes- always do :D I think it's great seeing Hawkes as the csi with the ME seeing as that was his previous profession. I also liked the fact that Sid could recite the number of cases he's ever done aswel which interested me. I thought that as he'd do too many it would become a pattern and he'd be unsure.

AJ was great as always. I loved the adam and Stella scenes, he's always cute next to her and I love their sort of Big sister and Little brother relationship. I think their scenes are also becoming more frequent which makes me think that when it comes for Adam to fight for his job Stella may do something to help him again. I love our lab tech :D

I think the scene with Stella and that watch 'salesman' gave the episode a nice touch aswel, I just love Melina's facial expressions and how she manages to pull off some scenes. Ok I think im done, but i think i'll come back in here as there seems to be a lot of good points about the episode that I havent read (judging by the 3 pages) but then again we always knew that this episode would bring a big disscusion due to our own opinions about DL.

ETA: Many of us just posted there lol. No I just read a comment about they should have his Anna's pregnancy again and had an image of someone who doesnt watch the ep very often or know she's pregnant or is just a little erm slow (that'll do) looking at the TV and saying 'Danny look, its obvious she's pregnant!! How did you not guess!'

12. AllyOz

AllyOz Civilian

JellyBelly, I actually agree with almost everything you said, especially regarding Lindsay's insecurities. You put it much more eloquently than I ever could :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people think Lindsay should be held accountable for her words/actions, and I respect your opinion and actually agree to some extent. However, I think when Lindsay stated she is "not good at this kind of thing", it was surely misinterpreted? She was not saying she did not want to help, rather she wasn't sure how - it is not something that comes naturally.

I know I, myself, would not know how to handle the Ruben situation if it were my partner involved as Danny was. It does not mean that I would abandon him, rather I would go to someone I respected for advice on how to help, as she did with Mac.

If you remember, Lindsay didn't go screaming in the other direction and leave Danny alone, she did following him and try to help. Even if she wasn't successful, she did have good intentions.

Basically, if someone does not want to talk about something, you can't make them. Eventually, all you can do is wait and hope they come to you when they are ready.

I know some people think Lindsay was making it about her, but she was in love with him and he felt he couldn't trust her enough to open up to her and that had to hurt. People seem to have unrealistic expectation of this character. Remember, she is only human and no matter how much you love someone, it is hard to keep fighting to get through to them when it is slowly breaking your heart. She had to make it about her to some extent. In the end, it is a case of sink or swim.

Finally, I think a lot of the D/L relationship problems are down to bad editing on the writers part. In leaving out clips that show D/L as an actually couple, the relationship is left lacking. As a result, we, as viewers, are left to fill in the blanks and things get misconstrued.

I mean, I could be the one in the wrong, but considering Danny can tell these people what Lindsay got on certain birthdays as a child, surely that shows, to some extent, how close they were as a couple at one point?

13. CSINYAddict

CSINYAddict Rookie

I gave this episode a B.

I love Danny, and I thought his narration was really realistic, and heartwarming. You get this tough guy image, but he's more of a complex character. He took the pregnancy quite well, you could see a smile in the final scene. It's definately going to change who the character is in a sense.

I wish I saw more of the other characters interacting but of course it was not possible in this episode. Overall, it was a touching episode.

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I was talking to my friend about this. Because when he was re-telling the story we were under the impression that he was also including some of the stuff that had happened to their daughter. We could be wrong though but that's the way it seemed:confused:. Because if that was the case I'm not sure they were the people he should have been talking to. Again could be wrong.

15. Fan123

Fan123 Hit and Run

Wow life is complicated - so television should be too. I thought Carmine did a wonderful job with the material. Give me the good acting over the crime solving anyday. I thought this was a nice "change it up episode" and brought the characters into the plot. Cops have real lives and for a storyline to have flaws and not be perfect makes more sense to me than a neat little fits in a box storyline and ending. We have enough of them to watch. And whenever I want to contemplate a tough decision I take a long ride on my bike - so that really worked for me. Isn't it nice that real people and characters react differently. Otherwise we would be pre-programmed robots.
    Let's all agree to disagree nicely...