The Student Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say I'm not a student.. graduated in June but my friends who are in there Final years this year at University in the UK are getting stressed, i remember the days of thinking it was never going to end, its wierd because they talk about it and i actually miss it.

I remember picking my modules for final year was so hard because it had to add up to a certain number of CAT points... I was so happy i didnt take 3D animation in the end because it was so hard but i chose Internet Game Design and that was majorly hard.

US system is so different to here in UK so many more options at Secondary school when i was there you do GCSE's and didn't have that much choice bar the basics... and then college could only take maximum of 4 subjects and then take 3 into alevels the 2nd year.

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I did a group presentation for one of my classes today. What a relief to have it done! And we all felt that it went pretty well :D

Now I've just got one more presentation, two essays, and three final exams to go :lol: :brickwall:

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ive gotta make a speach tomorrow afternoon in front of people who are looking to come to my college next year along with their parents. Im a useless public speaker, I havent decided if i regret saying yes or not though :lol: At least there is two of us, but im still hopeless at standing up infront of strangers :D

4. Dragonfly

:lol: Good luck, Nat!

I just got the mark back from my group project. We got an A :D I can totally live with that :lol:

5. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Woot, congrats on the A, DD ;)

Hey, I have a question, mainly for the native English speakers but others are welcome to answer too. ;) I'm taking this English Proficiency class, but's it's taught by a Flemish teacher, so mistakes are possible I guess.
    Now here's the question: the word 'research', how do you pronounce it? I mean, where do you put the stress? Do you say research or research? (aka; 'research or re'search). It goes for the pronoun and the verb, which might be different.

Pleaaaasse enlighten me! :D

6. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Well, Hush, that is an excellent question. :)

I say research, but I do know a few people who say it the other way.
    Where you live makes a big difference on how it's pronounced and around here (West Virginia) most people say it the way I do, so that's how I learned it.

But sometimes I like to confuse people and say it the other way around and I get a lot of strange looks. ;)
    I hope that helps you.

7. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Now you've confused me even more! :lol:

I would've said research too. But she pronounced it research, as well as a noun and as a verb. And you'd think she'd have a proper education, being a professor and all. So now I'm completely confused. :p

We could hold a poll. Who here says research and who says research? :lol:

8. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Sorry about that. :)

It's like potato and potatoe: they're pronounced the same way and mean the same thing, but they don't look the same. Some people spell it one way, some spell it the other.

I figure that it doesn't really matter what way you say it, as long as everyone knows what you're talking about.

It's hard to explain, and now I'm confused too. :lol:

9. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Well, thanks for answering. I'm guessing they're both right then. I have a feeling research is more the US-pronunciation and research the British version. Or am I completely lost again?

10. Dragonfly

No, I think that's probably right. I was just going to say that, actually :lol:

11. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Sounds good to me. :D

I am so glad that I don't have to try to learn English. If it wasn't my native speech I don't think could do it, because I speak it everyday and still don't understand some of it!

12. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Hey i'm in the UK and most people here that I know of say research but both ways are acceptable there's no right or wrong way to say it lol

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Thanks, I neede it, trusted me :lol: I was a nervous wreck.... although did have calming thoughts when i was speaking about the available forensic science courses in the summer :lol:

14. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

English is my second language... But I understand you, we're learning all our life, and still I have problems with my mother language which is not easy even for natives - we have 7 cases and sometimes you don't know which to use:lol:

Ehhh, stupid studying - need to write today an essay about haemoglobin and learn about all vitamins...

15. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I'm glad I don't have to learn English, I am english and can hardly speak it :D

essay soudns fun deirdre ;)