Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

Everything expressed in the following post is my opinion - merely an opinion, not fact, and an opinion which I can only claim is my own. (Since we apparently have to say that everything we write on a message board is an opinion. :rolleyes:)

Lindsay needs to be less me-me-me and whatnot, but the problem there is that I don't know that she was ever intended to come across as selfish as she has. Hopefully, we won't see more of the same while everybody around her pats her on the back for being a selfless mother-to-be.

As for Danny - I agree that he needs to be less impulsive when it comes to the baby and having to think before he acts for the good of everyone involved. However, I'm not sure I agree that the 'tough kid needs to change his character' - Danny is Danny, and he should stay who he is at a fundamental level. Yes, he should try to slow down and focus rather than running headlong into things (as he sometimes does), but I don't want to see him completely altered.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to have this storyline and not refer to Ruben in name - hopefully they'll make subtle references, as has been mentioned, but the idea that the storyline is 'over' is kind of mind boggling. It's like saying Lindsay's past is 'over' and will never be relevant again, or that the storyline with Louie is 'over' and Danny will never think about him again. (Granted, he hasn't seemed to beyond one kinda-reference in the episode with Coney Island, but you know what I mean.) People are the sum of their parts, and the sum total of their life experience. Things that happened less than a year ago should still matter when they are as life-altering as having a child die in your car, particularly when you are about to have a child of your own.

Ignoring stuff like that just comes across as laziness to me. Don't include an intense emotional storyline if you don't plan to have the follow-through.

2. CCA

CCA Police Officer

Is it to late for them to scrap this idea and say it was just an alien that kidnapped her and made her preggers that way? I vote for that! :vulcan: or wait no here we go :klingon: <-- looking like that!!!

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That would be funny, but really, would anyone care? Lindsay's such a non-entity that she really doesn't exist outside of the romance with Danny. She never connects with anyone on a case, or even other members of the team. The more I look at what we're getting this season--and look at the previous ones--the more it's obvious that there's just nothing to Lindsay. Her only development has to do with Danny. So when TPTB decided to write Anna Belknap's pregnancy in, they decided to do it in the most advantageous way to the show--by making the baby Danny's and focusing on him.

I still have my reservations and dread any scenes that require Anna to try to emote. :lol: But Carmine--he can handle that stuff. So I am curious about 509--the episode that focuses on Danny's reaction to the pregnancy. ;)

4. Vertigirl

Vertigirl Hit and Run

i voted yes
    i'm a d/l shipper and i'd like to see their relationship outside the office
    a baby will be great!

5. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Wow, Top41, if I've never 'heard' the sound of surrender, I think I did when I read your post. :lol:

But, I am also surrendering. We're stuck with it, whether we like it or not. Obviously, tptb are going to go with their 'money'. Carmine is money-- every scene, every episode.

So, Danny and Lindsay are going to have a baby. :rolleyes: Lindsay is reduced to being his surrogate, if that makes sense? She's having a baby and it doesn't seem as though they want to do anything else with her. Just a pod to carry a seed. That seed with grow into some Danny Messer goodness and we'll probably like it.

I'm still holding on to Lindsay going back to Montana with the baby and Danny copes exceptionally well. The kid comes to NY from time to time and oozes cuteness. Then, at the end of the episode, Uncle Donnie will ask where Little RainyDays&MondaysAlwaysGetMeDown went and Danny says,"Back to his Mutha." :guffaw:

6. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

I voted no,
    they should have tried to hide anna pregnancy.

7. Top41

'Surrender' is one word for it. :lol: The storyline is inevitable, and there's not too much point in complaining about the fact that it's happening, since it is happening. Voicing an opinion on how it's happening, though... ;)

Do I love the idea? No, I think there's a good chance it's the wrong choice. I see why they're doing it--Anna is pregnant for the second time in two years, and I have no doubt it's a royal pain to try to hide that. Lindsay has slept with Danny, they've gone back and forth, why not throw a kid in the mix to make things more dramatic?

It would help if Anna was a skilled actress, but Carmine is so good that I think--based on the spoilers we've gotten--that the writers are figuring they can rely on him for good drama. And let's face it--they can. I think there's a good possibility this is a situation they wanted Danny in--facing fatherhood. Probably not with Lindsay, but hey, if they were planning on it being Rikki carrying the baby, it doesn't change the storyline all that much when it comes to how it affects Danny. And in the end, that's who this is about--Danny.

At the end of the day, Danny is my favorite character and I think it's a good storyline for him. And Anna being on maternity leave will marginalize Lindsay even further and leave the writers time to focus on Danny even more. So I don't think the twist is quite as dumb as it looks.

If they found a way down the road to make Danny a single parent, that would be the best. ;)

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Perhaps a cow stampede a la the running of the bulls in the middle of Manhattan? Afterwards the team has to figure out how a slew of angry cows got there and which criminal mastermind is behind the devious plot. And Danny would spend the whole episode looking lost, as if he's forgotten how to function without Lindsay to tell him what to do, and we'll watch the process of him regaining the ability to think for himself over the course of the rest of that season.

The baby would just have to sit there and scrunch its face up like mama and squall.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I've seen episodes of "Animal Precinct" where they investigate visiting rodeos that come to various places in NYC. Perhaps their bulls could be let loose and the suspect could be some radical animal activist who was just trying to save the poor, abused bulls. :p

As far as the baby is concerned, I'm choosing to believe it will look like Danny and will absolutely NOT scrunch it's face. Maybe it can sit there and make an old man face instead. :D

10. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

I air vote yes, because I can't vote for some reason. :confused:
    I think that if the TPTB can get it right maybe this could be a really good thing. I mean Danny has always gotten into "trouble" ie. louie, ricki, etc. The TPTB can depend on him for great scenes. Anna has had some difficulities in the past, but the actress isn't the only person to blame. There are other factors that play into the outcome of the scenes (directors, editing, writers, etc.)

I think they would be able to bring Ricki back into the picture. Who else do we know that knows Danny and had a kid? Ricki. She could really help Danny out, and help him with his issues. The TPTB have alot of cards in their hands and it could play out different than what we think. I do think they could benefit by playing both sides. Give Anna some screen time with her side. No doubt she is going to have issues of her own.

11. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

I can't say I love the idea but I can't say I don't love it either. :shifty:

I love how they developed Danny's character over the past seasons. His history and the mystery of it makes me want to get to know him more. We've already "glimpsed" on how much back story he has and uncovering him outside of being in the lab. I think Lindsay just...gave a more...man-character to him since...er..men should have ladies? I don't know.

While Lindsay. She doesn't interest me in any way whatsoever. Except maybe when she pulled that stunt on Flack in SLS.

But maybe that's just me and my bias towards Danny not needing Lindsay to have a "story".

And how can she get pregnant when they haven't had sex since "Snow Day"? :rolleyes: Or maybe they did it offscreen. :p

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Both Pam Veseay and Peter Lenkov have said that is exactly what happened. According to them TPTB decided Lindsay went over to Danny's after he apologized in the dreaded rain walk phone call in "Personal Foul." The baby was conceived that night. :rolleyes: Backtracking at it's worst, IMO.

13. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

What the... I felt my gag reflexes working. How can they have had sex after that phone call thing?! Weren't they called in for work because of the cabbie killer?

For me, that's just nasty.:shifty:

14. Top41

She's completely uninteresting on her own, which is why she's always being thrown into Danny stories, or he's used in hers.

He definitely doesn't. Danny has had a plethora of great stories, most of which had little or nothing to do with Lindsay. Outside Man, Crime & Misdemeanor, The Dove Commission, On the Job, Trapped, RSRD, Child's Play, All in the Family...I could go on, but do I really need to? ;) Danny's a fully formed character. Lindsay's not.

15. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

I think so too. Maybe they had a good storyline with the back history she had about what happened to her friends but that didn't seem to have caught on so well or just wasn't developed into something more.

And I also agree that Danny is a character who can stand alone and have his build-up without Lindsay.