Now That Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Are Gone

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Re: Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Leaving *No Spoilers*

I knew this, it will be a bitter pill to swallow, however I'll see how it goes without him and we've [his mega fans] always have the hope that he will return ocassionally for a " guest spot", & Marg and Jorja are devastated that he's leaving and have stated as much, so if their sad we're sad too :(Time will tell, the guy has like 52 fan-sites.. so he's extremly popular~~

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think it's important to remember that these polls do not reflect everyone's opinions. I didn't vote cause I don't use aol anymore and do not go to aol.com anymore (the site loads too slow for my liking and I'm on DSL, so that's saying something). And so it's only 37 % of people who voted in the polls as opposed to 37% of all CSI fans. There is probably a larger number/percentage of CSI fans who did not vote in this poll than there are who said that they'd stop watching.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

CSI has 19 million viewers and 600,000 were polled in this (I believe) and 1/3 rd said they'd not watch it. That means there are still a huge number that will watch it.

There's something wrong with that poll.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's so true. They had close to 30 million viewers for "For Warrick". I don't think the ratings are going to get hurt too badly. With the new guy coming in, I think he'll bring new fans along with him and I think it will balance out from those WP fans who will not watch any longer.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Time will tell. It depends how they bring in the new guy. If they spend too much time on him and desert the other chracters, the old fans will simply just up and leave..like me..

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah well I posted it but I do not take the whole poll thing to heart. But they posted it all over Yahoo news and it was annoying me.

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Re: Season 9 *Spoiler Lab* Discussions P2

I don't know if this has been talked about or posted, but this was on GOOGLE 15 minutes ago about Billy's/Grissom's departure and the ratings, how they'll nose dive when he bails:(and I didn't write this or vote, so time will tell on this scenerio~

GRISSOM'S DEPARTURE

8. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

WOW! If I hear one more person (actually it's only one person in particular) say that CSI can't survive without him, I will scream! It's not the Billy Petersen show, desertwind!

The other actors on this show can go on without him.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Okay, from what I read....

I'm not a math person so if anyone (other than Desertwind) corrects me that's fine..

CSI has 19 million viewers

That poll was conducted on 600,000 people!

About 37 per cent said they would not watch the show..

ABOUT 41 PER CENT SAID THEY WOULD WAIT AND SEE.

Now if anyone recalls one of the highest rated CSI episodes ever was Gum Drops..with Nick at the centre of the story..

Nick was at the centre of the story with Grave Danger..that was an episode that brought in about 40 milllion people-a lot who wanted to see QT's work..but more than Butterflied the pinnacle GSR eppy.

For Warrick brought in 23 milllion viewers, more so than the GSR premiere of 2007 with about 19 million..

Therefore, the show may take some sort of hit with Billy leaving, but I'd say there's a good chance the show will survive..

As well, most online polls are UNSCIENTIFIC.

The media tends to favour bad news over good news, so a story about CSI's ratings going down the hill makes for a newstory.

Now I'm not saying the show's ratings will take a hit, it probably will. But let's remember-CSI is 9 nine years old and still doing well in spite of its age. So even if it goes down in ratings, it is still doing very well. Let's just hope CBS is willing to give the show another chance and not go all bullistic and yank it off the air just because BP is no longer on it.

But I said it before and I'll say it again. HAD TPTB even bothered to develop the other characters and give them meaty story arcs and stop being so focussed on Grissom the past 6 years (because season one and two were better in terms of story arcs for all the characters), the fear of the showing down down in ratings would have been minimal. But they didn't and so they are going to reap what they have sown.

Which is sad, because when it comes to Nick and Greg (because Catherine's done well in storylines-this is not a slight towards her at all-I like the girl)I feel like their stories have yet to be told. Especially Nick and I say his name because he's my fave. But I'm sure Greg fans feel the same way.

And I still want to know more about the Lab Rats especially Mandy who we are just starting to get to know.

TPTB created great characters but we still don't them that well..

So I hope the ratings will at least stay in a range that keeps the show on the air long enough so we hopefully will get more storylines for the other characters..

Now if I see that NO GRISSOM, NO CSI one more time-I'll scream.

Anymore spoilers..thanks mods for letting me say this..

10. ali319

ali319 Prime Suspect

Yeah ... the online poll ... no predictive validity there. People could vote multiple times, etc. You can't even really look at the data from the Kepler arc to determine the likelihood of folks staying on, because the situation was completely different (people knew WP was returning). This is a whole new ballgame.

I'm a Grissom girl, through and through, but I respectfully disagree about the show dying when WP is gone. I think TPTB will give the second half of the season everything they've got to make sure that doesn't happen. They know any significant change is a risk, so they'll come out with guns blazing. You don't let go of the #1 spot in the world without a fight. And, honestly, while I might not agree with the stuff that TPTB have done in every aspect of the show, I think that lots of good people have worked hard on the show for the past 9 years and I have a sense of loyalty to them (weird, I know) to continue to give the show a chance. Established viewers who have made a habit of CSI for almost a decade are likely to have similar attitudes, IMO.

My personal theory is that one of the reasons we aren't seeing huge stories for Cath, Nick, and Greg (other than WP's departure) is that they need that stuff for the second half of the season. These are great actors with established roles and I fully expect we'll get to see them flex their creative muscle more.

OK, my .02, FWIW, and sooooo not a spoiler, so I'll stop now.

Ali

11. AimeeC

AimeeC Dead on Arrival

Hi everyone, kinda new here have posted before but mainly lurk...anyway.
    I think I'm part of the 41% who said they will wait and see. Yes I like Grissom's character but I also like all the other characters on the show, new and old. I think change is good and in this case I think it depends on how it is written into the show etc. I'm certainly not going to stop watching after Grissom leaves, as someone else pointed out it's not the Billy Petersen show, it is and will remain an ensemble.

I don't think its been the number one show for so long just because of the actors but also because of the writing etc, they are all still going to be there after WP leaves therefore the storyline are still going to be good, I'll give it a chance but if I can't get into it after I'll most likely just be a casual viewer instead of religiously watching it now.

Yes I will miss seeing Grissom on the show, as much as I miss seeing Sara and Warrick and even Sophia but the show must go on so I'll just see what happens. I've most probably gone off topic but I thought I'd share my thoughts...sorry if they have already been posted.

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I brought this discussion over from the spoilers thread.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b69457_csis_grissom_problem.html

I'm sure tptb expect some drop in the ratings, but I doubt it will be catastrophic. Personally, I think most viewers will take the 'wait and see' approach. There is really nothing on at that time that is similar to CSI, and viewer habits are hard to break. Some of the episodes last year dipped to 16-17 million after Jorja Fox left, but this season they have recovered. GA is holding steady at around 15 million, but these 2 shows are so different, I don't see a lot of crossover of fans. And 'The Office' is great, but again, different viewers.

I know posters keep repeating to themselves that this is an ensemble, and it is; but WP is the star, just like Mark Harmon, Caruso, and Sinese. These shows also have good supporting characters that contribute to each show's success, but the lead actors are the higher paid and the most profiled. That's just the way it is.
    Marg and George are clearly going to be in charge and will get more screen time, but LF is a big star so he will get a lot I predict; I'm sure it depends on his contract. And I suspect that tptb hope he brings in new viewers, anticipating some WP fans leaving. That's why they went after a known star.
    Both WP and JF were happy with the ensemble nature of the show, and WP, in his producer role, seemed to encourage it. LF and LLS don't strike me as the types to want to change that, but time will tell. I do expect LF to be showcased to some extent, though.

Back to the ratings: I will predict a steady showing of 15-16 million, give or take. But that is still a success, considering all the competition out there for viewers. It is such a well produced show, that I doubt that it will ever fail. Fan boards tend to focus more on the characters, but I think casual viewers just want to be entertained for an hour. JMHO

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

For anyone interested in discussing this further, I moved it over to the 'Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Leaving' thread. :)

14. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

they are also bringing in LF, who is an established star. And the new changes might bring back viewers who have stopped watching due to all the changes over the last couple of seasons.

You can't compare the ratings from season to season though. No show can hit 40 million anymore, all the shows are tanking. You look at the relative position between all the shows. CSI is still number one, into its 9th season. Greys has gone down, and is now a couple of million behind. That is amazing, considering Greys has major promotion and advertisment. Honestly if the ratings drop a bit, it really isn't going to be a big deal, the show can't be #1 forever.

In the long run, jorja leaving didn't really have any affect, so i am not too worried about billy leaving. Grissom's character sucks now anyways, i WANT him off the show now.

15. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

I actually read that article before I knew it was posted on here....

Personally, when Billy goes, I go....I will of course 'check in' when he and/or Jorja make guest appearances, but for me, it's not CSI without Billy/Grissom....I will probably check in too, and see how Fishbourne is doing....