What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I jsut read Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. It was really good. I couldn't put it down!

It's a story about the lives of a woman whose a judge in a small town where a local kid guns down ten kids in a high school including her daughter's boyfriend.

What I liked about it was how it explored the concept of bullying, popularity, sibling comparisons and the drastic consquences it could lead to.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

When posting comments about books will you please add a bit more than it was good. Tell us why it was good.

3. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I am reading "The Boys of Winter" by Wayne Coffey.

It is about the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team and their coach Herb Brooks. It is kind of like the movie "Miracle" only the book goes a little more in depth about the personal lives of the people who were involved.

Anyways, I absolutely love hockey and I like the movie "Miracle" so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a book that combined the two things. I haven't got to read much of it yet, sadly, because I got swamped with a ton of school work. But what I have read of it so far has been good. :)

4. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer...... yes i fell into the Twilight trap. this book is quite good though i am enjoying it very much.

i've been reading a lot of books on Jacques- Louis David and his painting The Death of Socrates and the Neoclassial art movement. i have an Art History research class, it teaches you how to properly research and write a paper in the art history field..... it sucks soo bad i hate writting and doing research. guess i picked the right profession haha.

5. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I'm reading "Wicked" by Gregory maguire- an adult, alternative history of the Wicked Witch of the West. It's pretty cool, actually, and has an interesting socio-political plotline going for the realm of Oz. I just recommended it to my mom as well, since she likes fantasy stuff with a little extra brain to it.

I guess there was quite a successful musical based around the novel, but I can't even imagine this as a musical... Mind you, they changed The Wizard of Oz a lot to make it into a musical too, so anything's possible! ;)

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Oh I read that last year. It is a really, really good book. I really enjoyed the whole political-social plotlines involved and the whole telling the story from the Wicket Witch of the West's point of view.

Good choice. He's written other books of that genre including one from Cinderella's step sisters' point of view.

7. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Cop Hater by Ed McBain. I wasn't a huge fan of the book. The plot was a little thin but the ending was surprising. I didn't really like the style of writing.

The Fourth Angel by Suzanne Chazin. A very interesting look into the FDNY, the relationships were well written and they didn't take second place to the thriller plot. A great debut novel.

Exile by Richard North Patterson. Good insight into the Isreal Palestine conflict. Learning about both made me have more sympathy for both sides while at the same time allowing me to see the Isreal isn't as innocent as is thought and potrayed in the media. The plot of the assassination was enjoyable and the characters were well written.

Hear no Evil by James Grippando. A bit of a filler novel. The only great part was the revelation at the end about the kid. By the end you really couldn't tell who was truthful or not which I both liked and hated. Overall a schmeh book.

8. NewYorkSubway

NewYorkSubway Victim

Addition by Toni Jordan
    its a really wierd book, but in a good way

9. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

I'm reading Murder on Gramercy Park, by Victoria Thompson. It's the 3rd book in Victoria's Gaslight Mystery series, set in turn of the century NYC. The books' two main characters are Sarah Brandt, a midwife, and Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy of the NYPD. The books follow their adventures in solving various crimes.

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Haha, I've fallen into the Twilight trap. My 13-year old nieces have been badgering me for months to start reading this series and I've finally succumbed to the pressure. :lol: Anyway, it's very compelling and such a page-turner. Edward Cullen is such a riveting and charismatic character.

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Can I ask about the "Twilight" books: Are they all written in the first person? I tend not to like books written in the first person, and my niece wants me to give these books a look-see...

12. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Right now I'm reading Nimitz class by Patrick Robinson. I do enjoy military thrillers but I couldn't get into this one. The Adnam character is mysterous and well thought out but otherwise I think the characters are too flat to be liked. The plot is sort of interesting but I had higher expectations and I am quite disappointed.

For English class I'm reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book is written beautifully and his writing has so much emotion in it. The characters are great and their interactions are real. You can really feel for the characters. Overall an amazing book.

The Defection of A.J. Lewinter by Robert Littell. I usually have a hard time with espionage novels because you can never figure out the character's true motives but this one is different. I like that he focused on the two nation's reactions to the defection and at the end left some questions up in the air for the reader. An espionage/spy novel for beginners is how I'd describe the novel.

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. I really enjoyed this novel. I thought the characters were quite unique and the plot was fascinating to watch unravel. I thought the character 'twist' was a good idea but I had it figured out long before it was revealed. Overally a really good suspense novel.

13. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

In class, we are reading Prometheus Bound. We have parts. I volunteered for Prometheus. But there's a lot of history in there that you have to read between the lines to get. It's actually good to know though...

14. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I love The Great Gatsby, it's one of my all time favorite books. It's so well written that you just can't put it down.

Anyways, I am reading Timeline by Michael Crichton. It's pretty good, actually. It is a bit dull at some points and has a lot of techno talk going on so I'm lost at other points, but it has some really good action scenes. I've enjoyed it thus far, and the movie based on it isn't bad either.

15. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice by jane Austen for my Lit class and my British Lit class, though I really only read it once....save some time and headache. It's not my favorite Austen novel...but not much can be done to a required book.

Also ready ctiricism on Chaucer for a paper. Finding out a lot of people really do like The Canterbury Tales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.