The Student Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I know there's a high school thread floating around somewhere, but this is for students of all types, no matter what level... like the social group that we had for a while.

I'm a university student in Canada. The program I'm in is Applied Disaster and Emergency Studies. It's a fairly new program, and it's the only one at the undergrad level in the country.

Just recently, the professors at my University went on strike... and it lasted for three weeks :eek: That's 3 weeks out of 12 that we didn't have classes! Today will be only the second day back since they came to a resolution.

2. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Hey everyone! great idea for a thread!
    I am also a University student but in the UK. I'm doing Bsc Mathematics which doesn't really need any explaining lol. I'm into the second week of my first year and so far so good!

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Nice idea of thread.

I'm studying Biotechnology (third semester now) in my home city in Poland. Three years of undergradute studies and then post graduate - possible changes but I want to end it anyway. I can only say that there's a lot of chemistry and biology, lol. For me it's interesting subject but sometimes learning about plants can be really annoying - especially physiology, the most boring classes ever.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I'm studying Social Work. I'm in my fifth semester already and I hope I can finish studying one semester earlier than I'm supposed to. I love studying Social Work. I don't really remember how I came up with the idea. But now I know it was the best I could have done.

5. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Hm, nice idea for a thread.

I studied engineering untill I got tired of it and dropped it.
    I now study linguïstics at university, with a specialty in German and English (It used to be German and Spanish, but I dropped the last one, due to it being extremely hard.)
    Thank god I have very very lovely parents who are still willing to pay for it all. ;)
    Might sound appealing but then they're gonna try fitting 12 weeks of classes into 9 weeks, which sucks 'cause everything will go a lot faster.

My professors have no reason to go a strike. They're being overpaid for doing way too little. :p

6. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Ha, that most have been sweet :lol: :p We had a similar stike over pay here a couple mouths ago...but not all the teacher were on strike, only those that belonged to a certain union.

Nice idea for a thread! :). I'm in High School, doing my A levels. I'm doing R.E., Product Design and ICT. I'll probably be in High School for another two years before I decide what Uni I wanna go to and what degree I wanna do. But at the moment I have no clue what I wanna do :lol:

7. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I used to study english along with a couple other subjects but I got so bored with uni that I quit. Now I'm attending school again to become a child care worker. It's not really exciting but much better than university and hopefully it'll get me a fun job one day.

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I study in University of Lapland (the most northern uni of EU, just below the Arctic Circle) major in International Relations, minors in Administration, Political Science and Rural Studies.
    If everything goes ok, should have my Bachelor's (sp?) degree next spring and in next Aug I should start my Master's Thesis and working on that for a year, year and a half perhaps.

Getting to compulsory language and text('n stuff) courses is a nightmare. They take some 20/group and you have to be there exactly when those are open and those are filled in less than a minute and you can imagine how slow connection is when there's lots of people trying to register. Anyways, I start English Writing soon and after that I have only one left and it's English Oral Skills.

Tho may take some Spanish next year :p even Sami language would be interesting but won't need it so... Too bad they don't teach Estonian here.

And yes, we still have free university for all (even foreigners)

9. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I feel like i want to be in this thread I graduated in June from the University of Brighton with a BSc in Digital Media Development i got a 2:1 so i'm really happy and am now in the real world and really want to be back in University its so much easier and so much less to think about. Tho job hunting is useless as a country in a recesion means even less jobs than before.

I do still have my lovely student loan to pay off which lets me have some student in me.

10. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I'm currently on my sandwich year from uni, so I'm out in the real world for a year before going back to final year.

It's all good fun at the moment, and working is better than studying marketing (that's what my degree is in, and i very much dislike it)

11. allmaple

allmaple Judge

im in first semester of vet school in grenada. we just finished our midterms last week and have tests coming up again in a week. it never ends! i liked the majority of my under grad classes, but some i had to take have nothing to do with what i want in life, so im very glad to finally be somewhere where each class i take is important and relevant. it gives me more motivation to study and do well :)

12. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

WOW everyone's from Europe! Lol....erm.

I'm not.

I'm at a community college (go me.) but I'm taking as much classes as possible so I can hurry up and transfer to a college in Rochester, NY. I have 16 hours right now. But that's about to be dropped to like...13 I think. Online Bio should never be a problem! HA!
    I'm majoring in forensic science. Woot.

Um. Not much else to say. My English teacher is totally unqualified. The online assignments make ZERO sense. My math teacher I like. She takes too long to explain simple stuff, but retarded Holly needs this hahaha....I also take Public Speaking. Argh. I don't mind getting up in front of people, I just don't like taking a class about it. Criminal Investigation is my favorite. Our teacher is a police chief. He's hilarious. Crap, that reminds me, I have a test tomorrow! *goes off to pretend to study*

13. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I'm not either, Hollyyo...

I'm in my final year of nursing school... go me. :lol: I'll be in the real world in about 8 months or so.

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

That's exactly what they're doing *headdesk* Now everything is so crammed together. In my PoliSci class, we now have to write a test every 2 weeks... that's only 6 classes to learn everything :rolleyes:

15. Jimenez

Jimenez Prime Suspect

i´m from europe too;)
    i´m studying "wood science"(bachelor of science).but i don´t expect everyone to know what this is:D ("wood science" is the literal interpretation.i think the translation was invented in germany. a similar subject is "forestry", but this isn´t exactly what i´m studying.i think the subject "wood science" is limited to the german-language countries:confused:)
    anyway, i got a lot to do with science (mainly biology and chemistry) in general and in relation to wood, economy and the "wood craft".
    at the moment i´m trying to arrange to study overseas for one or two semester. i want to do this defenitiely in canada. mainly because of the beautiful nature...so if anyone from canada wanna give me an impression...feel free;)

all i can say about studying: i like it.i love my student life,it´s great and i definetly wanna try to finish university. i´m independent and learn stuff i´m interested in, that´s cool.:thumbsup: