The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Calihan she's a cutie :) My older sister used to have a bloodhound. Unfortunately her ex kept it when they split. She got to keep Roofus which her daughters liked better anyways :)

2. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I would love to have a bloodhound but I think he'll be too high maintenance.

Hey Jacquie is Roofus a basset? Or is he a bloodhound mix? I used to have basset hounds.

For everyone else here:

I was wondering, what dog breeds have you had as pets?

I'll start. As previously mentioned, we had some bassets. In addition to that, we had a Great Dane (Harlequin) and a couple of Collies. I think that's it.

3. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

We had a German Shepherd named Herman when I was REALLY little. The only thing I can remember about him is one time standing on the back porch while he, taller than I was, went 'round and 'round me in circles so I couldn't go anywhere. :lol:

We had a beagle named Snoopy too. And my grandma got me a Pekingese that I named Snowball (but grandma always wrote it Sno-ball). Man, that dog was MEAN! :lol:

Other than that, my family has pretty much been cat people.

But speaking of childhood pets, my grandma also got my brother a hamster which he kept in a cage at her house. One time it was just gone. We had no idea where it went. And then like a month later (seriously!) it showed up in my grandma's bed one night! :lol:

4. Jacquie

Roofus was a wanna be basset hound. He was a puppy mill dog that my sister and her then husband bought from a pet store. He was mostly basset but I always think he had some dachshund in him. Roofus was put to sleep on October 2 as his health was in serious decline :(

Now for pets. We've only ever had cats. My parents when they first got married had a bulldog but they had to find another home for him because he had arthritis :( I don't want to think of how many cats my family has had over the years :eek: My two older sisters have dogs and cats. Plus my oldest nephew has both cats and a dog. My brother is the only sane one in the family. He has no pets :lol:

And from the cat calendar sayings:

Cats do care. For example, they know instinctively what time we have to be at work in the morning and they wake us up twenty minutes before the alarm goes off - Michael Nelson.

5. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

:) Yellow lab with possible chow or something mixed in. When I'm not lazy I'll upload some more pictures of Stella. :)

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

We used to have a couple of Siamese cats named Cardinal Richelieu and Vanessa. After they both died, we didn't have anymore since we're mostly dog people.

We used to have some hamsters and my sister kept them in their cage on a table by her bed. One morning when she woke up, she saw that our hamster (who just had given birth) eating off the ears of either her mate or one of the babies (I forget). That traumatized her for life. :p My brother was playing with one of the babies and he put it among my Mom's plants and it just disappeared. We didn't know what ever happened to it.

He is a cutie. I've always had a soft spot for bassets (my desktop wallpaper is one of a basset) since I grew up having them as pets. He did look like he had some Dachshund in him.

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

weve never had dogs. weve had pixie, an abyssinian, for almost 17 years. she will be 17 in about 3 weeks.

i will need a farm to accommodate all the dogs i want, they are all big and hairy! i would love a duck toller, great pyrenese, bernese, and newfie.

and i am still keeping my fingers crossed that iona, one of the teaching dogs at my undergrad university that i walked, will still be around in 2 and a half years when i head back to north america and i can adopt her :)

8. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Oh yeah, I forgot. I used to have a Lhasa Apso.

I'd love to have a Great Dane again. They're such gentle giants. Plus, I'm thinking of getting a Scottie or a Schnauzer (I don't know what size though).

9. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When one brother and I went off to college and left my youngest brother at home, my parents bought a Great Pyrenees puppy. They named it Tiny. They knew how large it would get, but my brother did not expect it to get that big. We were about the last family on that block that got a dog. Don't have pictures of tiny but here are some pictures of that breed.

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

im super jealous, ive wanted a pyr for so long! my first dog will probably be the toller, since they are smaller and i probably wont have the space for the bigger ones right away.

11. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'd love to have a big dog again. We got a Great Dane when I was around two and yes he was waaay much taller than me. I loved that dog and when he died my family was just devastated. He truly was gentle. The Great Pyr is lovely but they're a working breed and they need space. The Great Dane, despite their huge size are perfect apartment dogs (would you believe?).

12. Jacquie

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

hehe, cats sure do go wherever they want and there is nothing we can do about it :lol: we always find little paw prints on the table, the counter tops, even the stove! but weve never actually catch pixie up there...

here are some of the campus dogs, which are my surrogate pets while im away:

lola at the chili cookoff. if there is an event with food on campus, you will find lola :)

mama dog in our kitchen. she was at the bus stop when we came back from the beach, so we took her up in the elevator to get some cold fresh water. she stayed for about two hours.

mama finds my rug quite comfy

14. Jacquie

all_hallows_eve the campus dogs are cute. They do look like they have a good life there.

Our cats go anywhere they want to after all it is their house :guffaw:When we have dinner we more often than not have one cat on the table. There aren't allowed any of our food though. I draw the line at that. Oliver can make a good nuisance of himself while we eat so after a little loving we put him down.

15. allmaple

allmaple Judge

yes the campus dogs are probably the luckiest ones on the island (except of course dogs owned by staff and students of the university) mama and lola, and her boyfriend snougles who isnt here often, are very fat from all the love they get from the students. most pot hounds look like walking skeletons. it is very sad to see :(