Grade 'Veritas'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 24, 2008.

?

How would you grade Veritas?

1. A+

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. A

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

It makes sense, about Flack and Adam. Just because we haven't seen them interact on the show, I guess it doesn't mean it's not happening? Especially since Danny and Adam are friends, I'd imagine maybe somewhere along the way, the three of them might've hung out or something...

And, you're right about Flack hesitating, too... Although I have the feeling that it could also be because either Flack realized Adam had something important for him, or Flack was confused as to why Adam would come to him about something in the first place... Because given their lack of interactions on the show, it's kinda weird.

Although, if that is Flack's protectiveness coming out on Adam, that's really freaking cute. :)

And, agreed. Some friend she is.

2. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

B

It was too twisted for my liking. I enjoyed it but mostly because I watched it right after Hostage. as a double episode it worked fine but as a season finale and season premiere not so much.

it was nice to get som family backround on Flack though Im not sure I liked his sister. but their interaction was great.

I also liked the Mac/Lindsay scene. just like in good old time. Anna was really sweet in the scene especially in the end.

it might have been just my current general dislike for Danny but his deep-in-thought scowl and the wild theories he kept shooting left and right annoyned me to no end.

who rocked though was Adam. his scene with Mac was beyond awesome. AJ was all kinds of awesome too. GO Adam

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I forgot to say that Mac brought to mind a Brass quote when he arrested the guy...Mac said something about 'for p-ing me off' and Brass's was "...and for violating seven articles of scumbag"

*thinks they'd get along good, we need to introduce them lol*

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I don't know if it was Flack being protective of Adam so much as being patient because he realized something was in it for him. :lol: You could tell he really appreciated Adam coming to him first--that was nicely done.

Agreed--that line was definitely Miamiesque.

My brain! My brain! :scream: :scream: :scream:

It's going to take a lot to get that mental image to go away. :(

5. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

That's exactly what I was thinking. That line was a cross between Horatio and Brass... :lol:

Okay I give it a B
    and this is why...

I'm so tired!!! of the CSI franchise putting all these CSI/Detectives in danger all the time, then shoving all the action/angst into one episode!
    They did it with LV and Cath's storyline and with Brass and with Sara (do I need to go on?) :rolleyes:

What would have made this episode more interesting was to have Mac truely not remember what happened and have it come to him piece by piece over a few episodes.

That way, we (the audience) would be guessing how and when the CSI's would catch Joe. BUT NO! They had to shove it all on one episode... Mac is in peril, Stella hanging off the balcony and Flack's sister.
    But, I did love the interaction between Flack and his sister. That's the 'good kind' of angst I like. Not the "WILL MAC SURVIVE BEING KIDNAPPED?" sort of thing. :rolleyes: :brickwall: :scream:

Okay, I think my rant is over. Now on to the parts I like

* RAMBO STELLA!!! God she's fantastic.
    * Adam. He's such a riot. He's was so cute all nervous and figetly around Flack. Even more so with Flack than with Mac. I noticed anyway. And I loved! how Adam didn't back down from Mac's stare. Good for him!
    *Flack and his sister. They fought like real siblings. And I loved the line he said to her "why can't you be more like...." and she answered ..."YOU"
    I'm hoping to see more of their interaction. That was great. It brought out a side of Flack we don't see very often.
    * NO DANNY/LINDSAY drama. :thumbsup: Not even a scene between the two of them. Maybe the writers can move on from that iffy storyline :confused:

Overall, as others have mentioned, it was predictiable but entertaining. I'm just tired of all the CSI in danger. Can we please have a storyline that doens't involve someone's relative that is a suspect in a crime????

6. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I gave this episode a BIG, fat, juicy A.:thumbsup:
    I'd have given it a BIG, fat, juicy A+:thumbsup::thumbsup: but I missed the first 5-10 minutes of it. Why??? Because I just had to go to Best Buy trying to find the season 4 DVDs so I could see my favorite season 4 episode The Thing About Heroes. I would've set my VCR to record this episode but I didn't know what time to start recording because I didn't how long President Bush's speech would last. In other words, I didn't know how many minutes late it would be about coming on...5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or even 30 minutes late. So I didn't bother and now I regret it. Could someone please post the first 10 minutes in the form of 2 five minute clips on You Tube so I can see what I missed. Or just post one long clip on You Tube (minus the commercials after the theme) up to point where Stella is taking pictures of the bullet hole in the passenger window of that submerged car Mac woke up in. That's the point where I started recording.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

OK, seriously guys, if I keep seeing stuff like this, I'm going to start handing out warnings. I don't want to see people coming on here asking where to see episodes without paying, sharing links to illegally uploaded episodes, or asking people to put part of the episode on YouTube.

There are two ways to legally see the episode online: one, go to CBS.com in the week after the episode airs. Two, purchase it for $1.99 off of iTunes.

This is one rule we have to be really strict about enforcing, because understandably, CBS frowns on copyright infringement (ie, illegal sharing of their material).

8. CSINYAddict

CSINYAddict Rookie

I thought overall that Veritas was a great season premiere. I graded it A- because I expected the show to have at least focus on the other characters. Mac is great but I wanted to see more than just the whole episode centered on him. I was definately shocked when Stella almost fell over! However, she is a strong character so it was not surprising when she picked herself up no problem!
    The Flack and his sister storyline was great, and you can definately feel the sibling tension! Great acting performances.

Overall, I cannot wait for future episodes!

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. Veritas was just an average type of episode to me, especially for a season premiere, so I gave it a "C." I think I expected a broader, more far-reaching case with more complex motivations, etc., but this just seemed like a bank robbery gone bad. And I still don't quite understand how some of the details from Hostage connect with what we learned in Veritas.

Why was Ethan/Joe the one originally stranded in the bank, and why did he request a CSI? Was he just stalling for time while trying to find a way to escape with a hostage? How did the money get into the desk drawer? Was the girl who was killed (Lauren?) one of the "hostages" in the bank with Joe/Ethan? It's possible I missed some of these details because I did get distracted a few times when watching.

I did like some of the elements already mentioned. Great casting for Samantha Flack....The interactions between Flack and Sam were very believable and I look forward to seeing where the writers are going with this storyline. The scene between Adam and Mac also worked well -- just the right balance of respect and nervousness from Adam.

That brings me to my other main complaint about the episode. I thought it was lacking in some of the character elements that really tend to make the series unique to me -- e.g., Sid quirkiness, Flack snark, Danny/Flack moments, strong Mac/Stella scenes, , etc. Isn't Stella usually the voice of reason that tries to pull Mac back when he's getting off track? Isn't Danny one of Flack's best buds? And what's going on with Danny/Lindsay? I'm not a fan of this pairing and I'm glad there wasn't a big emotional scene in this episode, but if it's going to feature some way in season five, there could've been some indication of how things currently stand.

I know they can't include all the possible character combinations in every episode, but for a season premiere, seems like they would go with the strongest ones and also hint at coming storylines when possible.

So, overall, this one felt like a missed opportunity -- especially if there were one or two million additional viewers (relative to last year) giving the show a first or second try. Hopefully, there was enough there for those viewers to bring them back next week.

Oh, and I also laughed at Mac's last line. Yeah, it was somewhat over the top but seemed appropriate somehow. Mac does have a bit of pride and temper, so I could see him wanting to get that last dig in, especially after the way Joe had been taunting him throughout the episode. Go Mac! :lol:

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I gave it an A... I liked most of the episode, and I thought Samantha Flack was perfect. In her first scene with Don, even before he mentions "Dad" I really felt a familial connection. I mean, yeah, I already knew that she was going to be in the episode, but I felt like even if I didn't know I wouldn't have mistaken her for a girlfriend.

The scene between Flack and Adam had a feel like the scene between Danny and Lindsay in Run Silent Run Deep. In fact, it was almost the same scene, but Flack took the information and did something about it instead of go straight to Mac. However, although I may sound critical of the recycle-esque, I thought that it was a great recall of how close all of these characters are. They feel the need to tell each other about things that affect them whether they should or not, and I like that.

I did think that maybe a little too much emphasis was on Mac, but he was the one kidnapped. His line made me laugh, no matter how arrogant it was.

Stella being knocked off of the building made me a little worried that it's maybe a foreshadow for even more damsel-in-distress-ness for her this season. She's been through so much, I just want to say enough already, even though she usually gets herself out of all the trouble she ends up in. Of course, this may be stemming from my annoyance that Angell wasn't in this episode, and that I'd like her to be the one in trouble once just because I'm a hopeless Flack/Angell shipper, but this sentence is getting really offtopic so I'm going to stop now.

Overall, good episode, though.

11. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

@ Faylinn & PerfectAnomaly - Your reviews are "priceless", and I would love to see these for every episode this season. :thumbsup:

@ La Guera - Forgive me, but are you a newcomer? I do not recall you before, but your post was brashly elegant. I really enjoyed reading it, and including your thoughts, to TPTB, were a fantastic touch. I admit, I did disagree with some points you made.
    a) I would love to see David Caruso in a thong. I guess I am just that old.:lol:
    b) If indeed Mac Taylor has an "earth-swallowing" ego, as you put it, I hope it swallows me too.:drool:

RamboStella - It was nice to see "her" again. Though I wish for an episode, this season, as she uses her 3 inch heels as a weapon and not as "impossibe-breaking scientific laws" footwear.:guffaw:

Our beloved Adam was quite in rare form. He took it upon himself, having the courage, to bring Flack what information he found. You could tell it caught Flack off-guard. I also admired how Adam apporached Mac. He could have just left at the fact he told Flack first, but then telling Mac what he did was "lion's" courage. I, and we, can only hope Adam's rare form continues throught this season.

I, too, enjoyed seeing another "Flack". The onscreen chemistry was outstanding, and we can only hope this opens the door to the "Flack" family. I read there were a few people confused on what happened to Sam Flack's car? I took a bit of thought, and believe the scene where they found Lauren's body in a car's trunk, was Sam Flack's car. I could be wrong.

What on earth happened to Lindsay? From "ZooYork" to the end of that season, I loved her to death. Tackling perps and eating fried bugs, she was the werebear from Montanna!:evil: Now, the character seems to be slacking off. I do not feel she is "fitting in" as she should by now, and what parts she has in an episode seem trivial. At least we did not start off the season with a bit of Danny/Lindsay drama. That storyline makes as much sense as taking a drilled-holed bucket and then filling it with water. I believe our very own shippers, on these boards, would produce better events by far!:adore:

I enjoyed how TPTB had Danny and Hawkes concerned of Mac's welfare. I was hoping against hope, while half-undressed for the showers, Mac would pass out at the showers. Oh, what a scene to remember!:eek:

I did find the storyline lacking. "Joe" was not this dark character as he was hyped up to be. I was hoping for another arch-villian, or something. In the promo, it states that Mac was not to remember how he got to where he was found. This could have easily been spread a good number of episodes. Sure, maybe "Joe" would then escape with all that money, but then "joe" would be the villian all the hype said he was.:rolleyes: Then , being thoguhtfully caught by the middle or end of this season.

Well that was my 2 copper jackets.

I hope all of you get what you wish for this season.
    As I hope for an episode opening with Danny tied/gagged in a dark room somewhere, with a laughing/screaming Lindsay somewhere in the distance.
    [*I want her to snap so bad.:devil:*]

12. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

awesome pilot for the 5th season.

- LOVE interaction of mac and adam. that was priceless on how adam was stuttering and stuff and mac had this half smug thing. hahaha.

- sam was not bad at all. she is a flack. i felt the vulnerability when she told flack not to tell the entire thing to their dad.

- love the interaction of sam and flack. like i really felt they were bro and sis. the "you just wish i was more like you" line was REALLY good. and who dare walk out on flack?

- all the rest of the cast are good. so happy that aj and robert are now in the main credits! i mean come on, them JUST guests this season? can't imagine that. haha.

- i love mac's list of the charges against joe. "and especially for pissing me off". that was good. hahaha.

i do look forward to a more exciting, action packed plus less predictable second episode! more adam and flack! :D

13. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

Yay! I'm not the only one still p-o'd about the lack of Flack family in "Charge of This Post"! The guy nearly died and no one from his family was shown or even mentioned as being the slightest bit worried or concerned? It made sense if there was a major estrangement between Flack and his family.

Now all of a sudden he has a kid sister that he's concerned about, and it's indicated that they interact regularly, plus there's mention of him being in touch with the rest of the family--makes the lack of Flack family at his bedside or in the waiting room during "Charge of This Post" to make no sense at all.

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

No, I'm not a newcomer by any stretch. I've been chewing on the episodes with the joie de vivre of the grizzled and curmudgeonly since S2.

15. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

Ah, I see, well......

A big "hello" from me to you. Seems I have not been paying attention :lol: