Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay can not edit, so wow :eek:
    Game 1: Tribe 3 - Twinkies 1
    Game 2: Tribe 12 - Twinkies 9
    Game 3: Tribe 6 - Twinkies 4
    SWEEP !!!!

This was one heck of a game two, first it was Tribe 8-1, then it was 8-8, then it was Twinkies 9-8, then Grady hit a HR (his first in 19 games) and it was 9-9 from the bottom of the 8th till the bottom of the 11th, then their [Twinkies] closer came in Franky got a single, Jhonny walked, and Victor Martinez hit a 3 run HR to win the game. This was Victors 2nd HR since coming back his first one was on Sept 2, two weeks ago today.

Now on to the Jays... WTH happened there? Okay not a problem y'all just come back tomorrow and nail them. :D Tomorrow we hope to take the sweep, Though great heck the series isn't bad either. :lol:

GO T & J!!! :eek: :shifty: :eek:

EXTRA, EXTRA: Read all about it!
    2009 Schedule has officially been released For all teams.

ETA Just putting in the fact that we swept the Twinkies and listed the game scores. Tomorrow we have the day off to prepare for the kittens :lol: Probable pitchers in another post for that.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Destiny I don't know what happened on Tuesday night when the Jays lost 2-0. They have always had a problem playing against the weaker teams :eek: They almost blew it again Wednesday night being down 0-6 at one point but came back to beat the Orioles 8-7. Jesse Carlson got the win and BJ Ryan got the save, his 30th of the year.

Today's Pitching match up

Olson vs Litsch

Now Destiny you realize those kittens mauled the Rangers last night 17-4 don't you :lol: all I can say is Meow :guffaw:

I did see the 2009 schedule was up and had a quick glance at it. The Jays appear to have all the major Canadian holidays at home this year. It's about time to :D

Go Jays and Tribe :)

3. Destiny

Well hopefully the Indians can keep the energy flowing we did sweep the Twinkies. The last time we played them Aug 25-27 we sweep them. But I would just be happy with the series. :D

I was just looking at the schedule and our teams play
    1 Three game series in April (10-12), 1 Two game series in May (4-5), 1 Three game Series July (21-23)

So eight games altogether next season, but yet this season we only played seven. :lol: Okay then that is wierd. But as for this season our remaining games, 3 against the tigers, 4 @ BOS, 3 @ CWS, then were done. As to the Kittens, here are the probable pitchers.

Game 1: Fausto Carmona vs Armando Galarraga
    Game 2: Jeremy Sowers vs Justin Verlander
    Game 3: Scott Lewis vs Dontrelle Willis

By the way this will be Lewis's third start, as Anthony Reyes was shut down for the rest of the season due to inflammation of the elbow. They figured better safe then really injured. It just really freaks me out, you have Raffie Betancourt. and Raffie Perez who are relievers, and now you have Starter Scott Lewis, and Closer Jensen Lewis. :lol: I mean its wierd when they announce that Lewis will be finishing for Lewis. :guffaw:

GO T & J!!! :wtf: :shifty: :wtf:

4. Jacquie

I love this time of year when baseball starts to wind down the regular season. The races that go on to see who will go to the fall classic are some of the best baseball all season. Its fun to watch teams be the spoilers for the teams that think they are a sure bet to win it all. Some races look as though they will go right down to the wire.

The Jays took another one from the Orioles last night 3-2 :) Litsch got the win and Ryan got the save :)

Not good news out of the pitching department. Shaun Marcum left Tuesday's game early with some numbness in his fingers. The MRI that was done was sent to Dr James Andrews in Birmingham yesterday. Never good when this is done. If elbow surgery is required Marcum will probably be lost for the 2009 season :scream: all we can do is wish Marcum well in whatever decision is made.

Pitching line for the Boston series

Byrd vs Burnett
    Lester vs Halladay
    Matsuzaka vs Richmond.

eta well the Jays and Marcum got the bad news this afternoon. Marcum will need Tommy John surgery. We'll keep our fingers crossed for successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  5. Destiny

Well now that was a game tonight :eek: I may have disliked Sheffield with his comments about there being more Latinos in BB then Africian Americans because they are easier to control, but tonight he was HBP (Hit By Pitch) then when walked down to first carrying his bat, then gave it up, and when Carmona threw to first, he made a comment and Carmona made one and then Sheffield charged Carmona and Benches clearing brawl. I think the only one that was hurt at all was Sheffield who got a bloody nose :rolleyes:

There were four Ejected two on each side, Fausto, and Victor martinez, Sheffield and Placido Polanco. This should be the video of it and in the end we won it 6-5. :D

GO T & J !!! :eek: :shifty: :eek:

ETA
    Game 1: Tribe 6 - Tigers 5
    Game 2: Tribe 6 - Tigers 3

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. Destiny

You were saying :D
    Game 1: Tribe 6 - Tigers 5
    Game 2: Tribe 6 - Tigers 3
    Game 3: Tribe 10 - Tigers 5

S.W.E.E.P !!!!

They haven't handed down any punishments for that fight STO is saying that is possibly monday, lets hope Sheffield gets the worst of it. Talk about booing, man Thome and Manny use to get Boo'd alot, the Boo's to Sheffield after that fight makes them pale in comparison. Top it off the guy doesn't know how to count and IMO is a racist but what can you do when someone wants attention. :rolleyes:

BTW, My cats officially made it known that they don't like us calling the tigers "Cats" by cuffing me when I called them the kitties. And the Twinkies company called they don't like the nic for the Twins. :guffaw:

Go T & J !!! :cool: :shifty: :cool:

7. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Woohoo cubbies are division champs!
    I was wondering if we should a "what's you're fave Yankee stadium memory"?

For me it's gotta be Lou Gehrig's farewell speech "luckiest guy on the planet"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  8. Destiny

Indians in a four game series against Boston.

Game 1: Tribe 4 - BOS 3 (Zach Jackson vs Josh Beckett)
    Game 2: Cliff Lee vs Tim Wakefield
    Game 3: Fausto Carmona vs Paul Byrd
    Game 4: Jeremy Sowers vs Jon Lester

The suspensions were handed down in the Indians/Tigers fight on the 19th. They gave the following:
    Gary Sheffield suspended Four Games
    Fausto Carmona suspended Six Games
    Victor Martinez suspended Three Games
    Asdrubal Cabrera suspended Three Games

Now I have watched that video (I posted above) and several others on Youtube, and Fausto should not have been given that amount, especially given what they gave Sheffield, then he [Sheffield] continues to make threats through the media. Sheffield says he will serve his suspension, Fausto and Victor are appealing theirs, and Asdrubal as of tonight is unsure what he will do. The MLB released this in regards to the suspensions. The MLB release said Carmona was suspended for "his aggressive actions leading up to and during the incident." Martinez and Cabrera were fined and suspended "for their aggressive actions during the incident." Sheffield was suspended for his "aggressive actions leading up to the incident."

ETA: Asdrubal Cabrera has decided to serve his suspension and will be out of the line of for the next three Boston games.

GO T & J !!! :cool: :shifty: :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. Destiny

Game 2: Tribe 4 - BOS 5 (Cliff Lee vs Tim Wakefield)
    Game 3: Tribe 4 - BOS 5 (Fausto Carmona vs Paul Byrd)
    Game 4: Jeremy Sowers vs Jon Lester

GO T & J !! :p :shifty: :p

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  10. Jacquie

The Jays close out their home season tonight against the Yankees. Hopefully they can win after losing the first two in the series. Halladay is on the mound for the Jays. This will be his last game this season as the Jays plan on going with their younger arms in Baltimore.

The Jays have finally given Cito Gaston a contract extension. The extension runs through the 2010 season.

Go Jays and Tribe :) :shifty: :):beer:

Oh and in case nobody knew it the Yankees are out of the playoffs :):):) first time in 13 years.

11. Destiny

Game 2: Tribe 4 - BOS 5 (Cliff Lee vs Tim Wakefield)
    Game 3: Tribe 4 - BOS 5 (Fausto Carmona vs Paul Byrd)
    Game 4: Tribe 1 - BOS 6 (Jeremy Sowers vs Jon Lester)

In the game four, Lester had a shutout going until Josh Barfield doubled, the went to third on a balk, and Jamey Carroll hit a single to bring him home. Seems he is fineally picking up.

Suspension Reduction.. Fausto and Victor's appeals have been dropped when their suspensions were reduced by 1 game, therefore Fausto will have a five day suspension and will not pitch for the rest of the season and the first game of next season which is fine since he is the second starter I believe. Victor went from three down to two games, both started serving them tonight and victor should be back in the lineup Saturday.

Merry-go-round the bases... Andy Marte strained his calf and is out for the rest of the season, right now they have had utility infielder Jamey Carroll pulling duty there, but to give him some breaks, they are starting Jhonny Peralta to Third (he played there in the minors), Asdrubal Cabrera to Short and Josh will remain at Second. Jhonny doesn't mind playing third but he wants to be a SS forever as he puts it, but he will go by their decision, but did say that no one has said that this will be for good, and so far the indians have said Jhonny will be the SS depending on how he does he might be at third next season but who really knows.

Cliff Lee might not start the fineal game of the season he is suffering from a stiff neck, depending how the race is for the other teams, if its not a real need or unless cliff (who didn't throw a bullpen today) gets no better, then Bryan Bullington will get the last start of the season. Also another reason that they are thinking of not starting Cliff is the concern of fatigue he has worked 223 1/3 innings after tossing 145 1/3 between the Majors and Minors last year. That's the second-highest innings total in the American League this season. If he doesn't pitch he will be a 22-3 winner, if he does pitch and win his 23rd decision, which is what Brandon Webb of the NL D-Backs is also trying to do.

Okay so now were off to Chicago to deal with the WSox in our fineal three games of the season, Probable pitchers are...
    Game 1: Scott Lewis vs John Danks
    Game 2: Zach Jackson vs Javier Vazquez
    Game 3: Cliff Lee (Or Bryan Bullington) vs Mark Buehrle

GO T & J!!! :cool: :shifty: :cool:

12. Jacquie

The Jays beat the Yankees last night 8-2 :) Halladay got a complete game victory for his 20th win of the season. He finishes the year at 20-11. You could tell the Doc was on his game last night as he need only 96 pitches to finish off the Yankees. The Doc did something last night that he rarely does, he smiled in the ninth inning :) Doc is only the second American League pitcher to get 20 wins this year. Some other guy by the name of Cliff Lee is the other pitcher. Lee pitches for some team called the Cleveland Indians :)

The Jays head into Baltimore for their final 3 games of the year tonight. Pitching match ups are:

Richmond vs Waters
    Parrish vs TBA
    Litsch vs Guthrie.

The playoff picture is taking shape as the Dodgers have won the National League West. So the teams going so far are: Tampa Bay, Boston, the Angels, the Cubs and the Dodgers. It's too close to call in the NL East and the AL Central. Also Tampa and Boston are still battling it out for tops in the AL East. Here's the weekend schedule for the teams still involved in the races. It should be a good weekend for baseball :)

Tampa at Detroit
    New York at Boston
    Washington at Philadelphia
    Florida at New York
    Kansas City at Minnesota
    Cleveland at Chicago

13. Destiny

Game 1: Tribe 11 - WSox 8 (Scott Lewis vs John Danks)
    Game 2: Zach Jackson vs Javier Vazquez
    Game 3: Cliff Lee (Or Bryan Bullington) vs Mark Buehrle

Lets see Garko hit his first Grandslam of his career, the last time he hit one was in high school. We have now been hit by pitch as a team 103 times I believe, we broke the Jays record and then we broke the astro's record (in BOS) and added a couple more today. :lol:

Scott Lewis our starting pitcher is only the fourth Indian to go 4-0 in his major league debute. Jhonny Peralta did in deed play third for the first time since the Minors, but as said he likes short and there was no guarentee this will be his new position. While he did okay, his comfortability level wasn't that high imo.

Two laughable quotes by the tribe pitchers.
    Cliff Lee: The Plain Dealer asked in a Q&A what his favorite book is. His response? "I don't think I've read a book in my life, to be honest."

The front page of today's Chicago Tribune sports section has the headshots of tonight's starting pitchers. When Scott Lewis took a look at it earlier, he remarked, "Man, did I get ugly." He made sure to make this comment within earshot of Jensen Lewis, whose picture was mistakenly used in place of Scott's.

14. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

I took my 7-year-old to the Twins vs. Royals game tonight at the Dome. We lost (4-2 Royals), it was a boring game, and the Twins stunk, but we had good seats and managed to enjoy it. Hunter and I don't get many opportunities for mother/son time, so it was really nice!

15. Destiny

Sometimes I think watching on tv is better (at times safer with flying balls and broken bats lol), but while the game might have sucked, the experiences you two shared is what is remembered the most and what should be taken from it.

But to make the Twins happy the Tribe beat the WSox for a second night tomorrow will be 162 and the last of the season for us, and we will try hard, it was touch and go but we kept up and got the win.

In other news Cliff Lee has been scratched from the game tomorrow and his stat will remain at 22-3, that stiff neck apparently has been bothering him since before his last start, he thought he just slept on it wrong and that it would get better, in BOS he changed his mechanics to not have pain which did him no good, apparently he down played the problem and that was why he was allowed to pitch (something this team has to stop doing) but Wedge took the decision of the fineal game of the season out of his hands which Cliff acknowledged was the right one, and so Bryan Bullington will get the start in his place. While the Sox might be happy it isn't Cliff the problem with that is they thought they could take out Zach Jackson who was 1-3 (I believe) and found that wasn't a good thought since he is now thanks to the WSox 2-3. They thought they would take out the Newbie Scott Lewis who was 3-0 and well he is now 4-0 so again misjudgement.

Game 1: Tribe 11 - WSox 8 (Scott Lewis vs John Danks)
    Game 2: Tribe 12 - WSox 6 (Zach Jackson vs Javier Vazquez)
    Game 3: Tribe 1 - WSox 5 (Bryan Bullington vs Mark Buehrle)

Top it off both Vazquez and Buehrle are on 3 days rest, Vazquez was looked in giving up one HR and J. Dye got a HR tieing it at 1-1 until the top of the fifth in which the Indians as I like to think became bored and unleashed on the sox. They Sox came close by two runs but then we put up a four spot and they were sunk for a second time. Hopefully tomorrow we can sweep them. To the tribe it doesn't matter who wins the Twins or the sox, but that the tribe finish above .500 which we are .503 and they play the best with heart and finish as if they are playing for something. Though some fans would love the sweep for revenge purposes, me I just want them to finish strong and bring it into the 2009 season.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008