Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I hope I am forgiven on this post but the other was too long, while we didn't get the sweep, we took the series. So ends our season which means I will be bored to tears lol. But I think Eric Wedge and Jamey Carroll put it best when they said.

Wedge: "It's a heck of an accomplishment coming from where we were," Wedge said of the Indians, who were 16 games under .500 on July 9. "We wanted to win as many games as possible and finish as strong as we could. The guys worked hard to do that."

Carroll: "We fought hard to get to that [.500 mark]," infielder Jamey Carroll said. "There are positives to where we ended up. You guys [in the media] will make a bigger deal out of the record and stats, but the most important thing for these guys is to learn from the experiences and be ready for next year."

Wedge: "It's a heck of an accomplishment coming from where we were," Wedge said of the Indians, who were 16 games under .500 on July 9. "We wanted to win as many games as possible and finish as strong as we could. The guys worked hard to do that."

Carroll: "Guys did a good job turning the season around," Carroll said. "A tale of two seasons? It might have been. That's baseball. We went through a lot and learned a lot."

But we did finish dead even at .500. Cliff Lee it turns out ended his season last week but He finished with the best ERA in the AL at 22-3 2.54 ERA and .880 Win percentage. - When asked which stat he puts more stock in -- wins or ERA -- Lee was characteristically non-committal. - "I don't put stock in either one," he said. "I look at it like this: My job is to go as deep into the game as I can, put up zeros and give the team a chance to win. There's going to be games where I give up runs but my team scores more, and I win. And there's going to be games where I don't give up any runs and we don't score any. That's the name of the game. If I give the team a chance to win, I was successful."

So until next season I guess we will be discussing changes to the teams, and how the players are doing from what we hear. As for the WS whoever wins, wins, as to the awards now that will be interesting. :D

GO BASEBALL!!!

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The Jays finished the season yesterday on a high note. They beat the Orioles 10-1. Jesse Litsch won the game and finished the year at 13-9. Not bad for someone that struggled at some points in the season. Vernon Wells was the only Jay to finish the season batting .300. Again not bad considering Wells was on the DL twice this season. The Jays finished the season in 4th place going 86-76. It would have been an interesting season if Cito had been the manager the whole year :rolleyes: The players have always had a good respect for Cito and he's always had respect for his players.

Congrats to the Cleveland Indians on the season they had. They struggled was well during the year but finished in third place at 81-81 :)

:beer: to both teams

Now on to the fun times. The regular season is still not over. Detroit and Chicago have a make up game today. If Chicago wins they force a playoff game with Minnesota. If Detroit wins then Minnesota is the AL Central Division winner.

I would love to see a Boston-Chicago Cubs World Series. Two very old teams going for the big one. And Chicago hasn't won a World Series since 1908 :eek: They need to get the goat off their backs :)

3. Destiny

Well its going to be a one game playoff between the Twins and the ChiSox according to MLB.com.

4. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Yep - we were cheering for the Tigers, but they lost 8-2. It's do or die time: We face off in Chicago on tomorrow at 6:30 central. Go Twins!

5. Destiny

It's official The ChiSox beat the Twins 1-0. - So now it begins... Here are the following teams

Brewers vs Phillies
    Dodgers vs Cubs
    WSox vs TB Rays
    RSox vs Angels

Congrats to Cliff Lee on the "Come Back Player".
    So long to indians bullpen coach Luis Issac Who had been with the organization for 44 yrs. He was fired and not reassigned, reason give they needed a change.

6. Jacquie

Wow that's a hard one :( 44 years with the same team. You don't see that often today in any job.

The Jays' president Paul Godfrey has decided to step down at the end of 2008. But on the good news front the Jays have resigned all there coaches for the next two years. That's an improvement because they usually only got signed for 1 year.

Congrats on winning Chicago. Sorry Jacqui that your Twins couldn't do it.

Go baseball :)

7. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Holy buckets - 44 years!! That's rare, indeed.

My poor Twinkies :( Sox pitching was phenominal, though. Despite Minnesota not being in it, I'm looking forward to the post season. The playoffs are always fun to watch.

8. Destiny

But Luis isn't bitter about it at all which it could be a front but Luis has never stood on ceremony. 'fired Indians Bullpen Coach not bitter'

9. Jacquie

An update on the LDS games

The Dodgers swept the Cubs last night to add to Chicago's woes. The now await the winner of the Philadelphia/Milwaukee series. The Phillies are up 2-1.

In the American League, Boston is up on the Angels 2-0 and Tampa leads the White Sox 2-0. These 4 teams play this afternoon and evening.

10. Destiny

WooHoo sorry cubbies, I only rooted for the dodgers because our former third basemen Casey Blake is their third basemen, though after seeing him, he doesn't seem like the casey we know and love, he looks like well I am working, where as in Cleveland he could strike out in every at bat and still be laughing and smiling.

Okay I rooted for the Phillies, which is sad because former Indian CC Sabathia is with the Brewers, my problem is some of his interviews his wording were in such a way that it sounded like a put down to the other players. - As to the AL, I am rooting for Tampa Bay and LAA but I wouldn't mind seeing TB kick the RS in butt, seems like RS always has this "I am so much better then you" not to mention JP (the closer) wouldn't get to dance which would only be a good thing. :lol: - Then lets see WS oh boy if TB and the Dodgers are up I have to root for both that should be hard lol, I like TB because they are the type of team who is equal to the "Little engine that could" they were thought to not be able to do what they have done, and proved they could. But then the LAD has Blake oy. :( now if its TB and Phillies well then TB All the way. :D

ETA:
    Okay its official in the NL on Thursday the Dodgers will play the Phillies.
    TB lost to the WSox forcing a game four. I am currently watching the LAA vs BoSox interesting game.
    Interesting Selig 'emotional' over fans' response he is a brewers fan lol.

Okay lastly has anyone else voted in the awards for 2008? Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, DHL Delivery Man, Pepsi Clutch Performer

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  11. Destiny

Okay its official in the ALCS & Schedules

For the National League (On Fox):
    Gm 1: LAD @ PHI Thu Oct. 9 8:00 PM
    Gm 2: LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 10 4:00 PM
    Gm 3: PHI @ LAD Sun Oct. 12 8:00 PM
    Gm 4: PHI @ LAD Mon Oct. 13 8:00 PM
    Gm 5*: PHI @ LAD Wed Oct. 15 8:00 PM
    Gm 6*: LAD @ PHI Fri Oct. 17 8:00 PM
    Gm 7*: LAD @ PHI Sat Oct. 18 8:00 PM

For the American League (On TBS):
    Gm 1: BOS @ TB Fri Oct. 10 8:00 PM
    Gm 2: BOS @ TB Sat Oct. 11 7:30 PM
    Gm 3: TB @ BOS Mon Oct. 13 4:00 PM
    Gm 4: TB @ BOS Tue Oct. 14 7:30 PM
    Gm 5*: TB @ BOS Thu Oct. 16 7:30 PM
    Gm 6*: BOS @ TB Sat Oct. 18 4:00 PM
    Gm 7*: BOS @ TB Sun Oct. 19 7:30 PM

*If Necessary

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  12. Destiny

Here is the score from Game one of the NL
    Gm 1: LAD 2 - PHI 3
    Gm 2: LAD 5 - PHI 8

okay now they head to CA for game three. I won't be edit but I can post the next game scores If the mods don't mind. ;)

The AL Starts tonight (Friday) so if I have the chance I will edit and give the score.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  13. Destiny

*sigh* I missed the edit deadline.

Here is the score from Game one of the NL
    Gm 1: LAD 2 - PHI 3
    Gm 2: LAD 5 - PHI 8

okay now they head to CA for game three. Next game Sunday.

The AL Started Friday:
    Game 1: TB 0 - RSox 2
    Game 2: Saturday

14. Jacquie

Tampa Bay 9-Boston 8.

Tampa won the home run derby to even the ALCS. The two teams combined for 7 home runs and the game was over 5 hours :eek: They have today off and are back at it in Boston on Monday. Lets see how Tampa Bay reacts to playing in the cooler weather.

Tonight

Philadelphia at LA Dodgers

May the best team win the World Series :)

15. Destiny

Post season big silent lol.
    Well on the indians front two bits of news.
    DH Travis Hafner to have Shoulder surgery "The process is to arthroscopically clean out any chronic changes and investigate any other anatomical reasons for pain."

Jamey Carroll close to a deal "Look for them to sign utility infielder Jamey Carroll sometime this week. They hold a $2.5 million club option on him for 2009. "We want him back and there's a good chance it will happen," said GM Mark Shapiro. "We've had some positive conversations."

Okay this is a funny quote Rays GM 2 regarding winning runner Perez "Like I said, in a straight-up race, I’ve got him over Seabiscuit,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said. “I’m dating myself a bit. I’m sorry, but that’s the first horse that came to my mind.” :lol:

Fineally I can understand respect the you hit me, we hit you mentality to a point, in the NL's game 3 game they did try to hit Martin (the catcher) twice, and in game 2 threw behind Manny, etc, etc. But a ball around the head or near it, better have gotten away by accident. But after all is said and done this to me should not have had to happen. "Benches clear in Game 3 of NLCS after high pitch". The only thing I see hitting another person on purpose does is get them on base, want to get even, strike them out. Almost brawl in Game 3, should have really just never have even leaped to mind.
    Well I guess they decided someone was going to pay for that fracas If my math is correct it will come out to $16,000.00 (four players, 3 coaches). "Kuroda was fined $7,500, Ramirez was docked $2,500, first-base coach Mariano Duncan got $1,000 and third-base coach Larry Bowa $500, Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. - Victorino was fined $2,500 and first-base coach Davey Lopes and reliever J.C. Romero $1,000 each, according to Phillies manager Charlie Manuel."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008