Mac #6: Unbuttoned...

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MacsLady, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I agree that we need to see Mac's place. I see it as being very neat and tidy (he was a Marine after all!) with more military photos and also one or two photos of Claire. In Blink he said he kept the beach ball, but in Sweet 16 he gave Reed some photos of her, so I would guess he has one or two framed ones at home, maybe of their wedding day or something. He'd have his guitar there too of course.
    I think his apartment/house must be the one he shared with Claire, because that is the address Reed was given for her in Consequences. So it would make sense that he wouldn't take Peyton there because it might feel wrong to have his 'new girlfriend' in the room he once slept in with Claire. But he lets Stella come over because she's his closest friend and the most important person in his life. I also think Stella used to come over when Claire was alive to talk to/see Mac, so he probably feels comfortable having her over. I mean, he did offer her his spare room in RND!

2. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

It would be nice to see his apartment, to get a look at what he is like outside the lab. We know he plays at Cozy's but we have seen little else of him outside that environment.

We have seen Adam's, Stella's and Danny's apartments. We have seen Flack and Danny out playing pool and out at a basket ball game, plus Flacks girlfriend's place and Flack taking the boys club out to a basket ball match.

So it would be nice to get a look at where Mac lives. You never know we may get something this season..:)

3. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

Yeah I surely would be nice to see Mac's place. I think we'd also see more in his casual side. :bolian:
    I imagine also that his place must be tidy (cause he's ex-marine), pretty simple apartment (cause his "a guy") And I'm sure there'll be pics from Claire. She's still so inportant to him...

You know that season 5 promo was awesome! ;) Only I'm worried for our Mac...he's gona be rough year! "Even that's the image what I get" :rolleyes: Hopefully we'll bright moments also! :)
    I can't wait the first ep! even that I can't see it in Finland!!!!:scream::scream::scream:

4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'd love to see more of Mac outside of work. I'm not sure how pleased I am with this spoiler...
    that Mac's getting a new love interest
    but it might be a way for us to see more of his life outside the lab, which would be good. We might even get Shirtless!Mac out of it.:drool::drool:

I bet Mac's bed is still made military-style with perfect sheet-corners etc. I'd love to mess up his bed though...:devil:

Sam, I totally agree with you that Claire is still very important to Mac. You can see that in the way he looks when he talks about her, and in the way he is with Reed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I am not all that happy with the spoiler either....
    Just as long as its not Jordan. For a start she is as wooden as hell and secondly she came across a bit stalker much when she had a hissy fit at Stella cause she didn't know about Reed.
    Ohhh I am always up for some shirtless Mac...:D:D

I hope we will get to see more of Reed in season 5.

6. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I hope Mac gets a girlfriend who doesn't dump him by letter again like Peyton did. He deserves more than that.

7. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I couldn't agree more! I actually enjoyed the Peyton/Mac relationship, I thought it was tastefully done overall, and very realistic - they weren't always a perfect couple, both made missteps along the way, but it never went all angsty or overboard. But the writers really ticked me off when they had Peyton dump Mac by a "Dear John" letter, that seemed so OOC to me, I simply couldn't see Peyton ever breaking it off with him in that way. :wtf: Having her call him from London and hash it out with him over the phone whether they could/couldn't make things work, and end it over that type of conversation, that I could have believed.

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I totally agree. Peyton seemed to me to be a very direct, up-front type of person, not the type to dump someone via letter. That came across as harsh, and kind of cowardly, and also bitchy too (although there was feeling in her voiceover) and Peyton wasn't any of those things. But I suppose they did it that way so Stella could find it, and go to be with Mac, and we did get a very nice scene out of it. I love how she knew where Mac would be.:)
    But he did deserve better than a lDear John letter, and it was an OOC way for Peyton to end their relationship. But I shall forgive TPTB because they did give us Mac in Black Playing Bass.:drool::drool::drool:

FB, re the spoiler...

I didn't mind Jordan too much, but she didn't have the chemistry with Mac that Jane, Peyton and Stella do. And she did come across a bit stalker much re Reed. I'd love Jane to come back, or even Peyton, but I'm sure that won't happen. I have been re-converted to Smacked, but I don't want them in an established relationship just yet, I want more build-up - flirting, little looks, moments etc. I don't mind seeing Mac have a new love interest, as long as they handle it right. And lots and lots of shirtless Mac. That said, I wouldn't mind having Mac stay single for the season, and have more development of his relationship with Reed, and with Stella and Flack also. TPTB seem to be fixed on the idea of giving Mac (and Stella) new love interests every season, when both characters have other, more interesting areas to their character that can be developed.
    But again, anything that = Shirtless!Mac can't be that bad!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

I really enjoyed the Mac/Peyton storyline, too. It was one of the most realistic romantic storylines I've seen on TV for a while, and to end it like that...well, the writers could have made something better happen. It just seemed rather lazy :(

10. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

It did. They could have had Peyton at least call Mac.:rolleyes: I feel so sad for him in that scene, he looks happy when he see the Air Mail envelope, then so sad when he reads it. It's especially sad considering what he says to Stella about taking risks with romance earlier in the ep, clearly referring to him and Peyton. But I love how he goes and plays with the band at the end rather than going home alone to be sad. That shows how he's lightened up and even got better at dealing with his emotions since s1. I'm not saying he took the break up lightly, I think he was hurt/upset by it, but he took a positive, active step to move on. Yay, Mac! And he looks totally hot with that guitar, of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:drool::drool::drool:

Forget P., Mac, the Taylor Girls will look after you...:devil:

Pics from CSI NY Online Gallery.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I normally just lurk in this thread :eek: but had to de-lurk for a moment to comment on a couple of things....

I wholeheartedly agree and really wish
    the writers would stay away from the love interests for a while. For me, it doesn't fit that a man who had such a difficult time mourning his wife's death would now have "love interests" all over the place. They have Gary Sinise to work with -- surely they can find some deeper, meatier storylines for him -- maybe some type of major professional or personal crisis of confidence, something that leads to significant self-doubt.

Well, I gotta admit I was not a fan of Mac/Peyton. The timing felt wrong and it seemed like Mac and the audience were cheated out of what should've been a major developmental arc over multiple seasons. And there were times when I thought the dynamic between them was just plain awkward. Having said that, I agree that the "Dear John" letter seemed ooc for Peyton. And even though "Times Up" was one of the weaker episodes of the season, I also really liked that ending segment with Mac on bass. :thumbsup:

12. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

See that's what I think as well, what is it with all the love interests all over the place? Everyone seems to be getting a girl friend or boyfriend. I think they have went way overboard. I don't mind having a love interest as long as its in the background. But I think they should lay off for a season. I think the kind of story lines that you mentioned, would be a far better route to take Mac down, and so much more interesting and gripping than some new love interest.

I was also not a great Mac/Peyton fan, although I didnt mind her to begin with, and I did think that the relationship was one of the better handled ones on the show, but I was not sorry to see her go. As to the way the relationship was ended, it was very lame. I would have loved to have seen a face to face scene with them beacuse I woud really liked to have seen how Gary played it. I know it was done that way due to filming commitments on Claire Forlani's part but they could still have filmed her writting the letter, something more than just the voice over.

13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I too have never thought of Mac as the kind of guy to have love interests all over the place. It doesn't fit with his character, with the way he mourned over Claire. I mean, a man who didn't take his ring off for 3/4 years after his wife died is
    suddenly having new love interests all over the place?
    That's more Danny's style than Mac's.
    Mac and Peyton worked fine IMO because we saw Mac struggling with his first serious relationship after Claire. But we didn't get to see how that relationship formed, Peyton just popped up in his bed. Nice place to pop up :)devil:) but I too felt we were cheated out of seeing the development of their relationship. It can't have been all Peyton pursuing him, Mac must have been attracted enough to her to want a relationship, and at the same time that attraction must have caused him some serious guilt and angst because she is not Claire.
    I too would have loved to see how Gary would play a Mac/Peyton break-up scene, I feel cheated out of that too.
    I agree there are much more interesting ways they can develop ALL of the characters that are not based around new love interests. I prefer love interests to be in the background, and to see OTHER relationships come to the fore.
    But again...Shirtless!Mac has a lot of appeal!:devil:

14. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I agree re: the romantic relationships, they tend to overshadow the drama and crimes, which is Not why I tune into crime dramas! :scream: And IMO, the CSI writers, as an entire franchise, don't write romance very well. I think they stunk it up in a Huge Way on the Vegas CSI (which I don't even watch any more, and the so-called "romance" that got shoved down viewers's throats was, in part, reason why) and they don't appear to be doing too much better on NY. Let it go for awhile, concentrate on character background and platonic interactions and relationships. They can show us that Danny, Flack, Hawkes, Mac, Stella or Lindsay are dating someone, and have it off-camera - a phone call and brief conversation here and there, someone saying they're meeting a date for dinner or a movie, that's fine by me. Heck, Sid is married, fer pete's sake, and that entire relationship has been off-camera from the get-go! When will they learn? :wtf:

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I wish too they would go with off-camera relationships. As much as I'm up for Shirtless/Nekkid Mac, that doesn't have to be as a result of a major love interest. He could get a call out to a scene while in the shower, or get hurt and have to take his shirt off...:drool::drool: It would be nice to see the characters maybe having dinner with their date at the end or beginning of an ep, or like you say, making a phone call. In terms of development for Mac, I'd much rather learn more about his time in the Marines, his relationship with Claire, his childhood etc, and the same goes for the others - Danny and Louie, Flack and his dad, Lindsay and anything that isn't to do with Danny, Stella's childhood, Hawkes' past (though it'd be nice to see him get a lady, if she stayed mostly off-screen) etc - are more interesting ways to develop those characters than love interests.
    With Mac especially, there is a lot we know about him, but also a lot we don't, especially about his past before he was a CSI, and especially his childhood and marriage to Claire. I'm really curious to learn more about these aspects of his character. And also I really enjoy his relationships with Stella, Flack, Reed, Sid and Adam, and would love to see these developed more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.