How Much is Gas Where you Live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokey, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Funny you should mention this. I'm outraged, I used to fill up my little economy car for $18, today it was $16.00 for half full it's $4.59 a gallon for regular un-leaded:klingon: when is this going to stop? I live in the San Bernardino CA. area!

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I live in Temecula, and it's around $4.30 in some areas. However, I went to San Diego last night to Dave & Busters, and it was $4.79 to around $4.99. :wtf:

3. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

price is almost as in Germany 1,50 € (2,28 Dollar)

4. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I am headed to San Diego Tuesday night. We had been talking about driving to Anaheim or LA. I am glad we decided to stay in the San Diego area instead. That is outrageous! Here our prices seem to going from $3.99 to $4.19 although I have "heard" people say they have seen them as high as $4.39.

5. eveninstarz14

eveninstarz14 Pathologist

gas by the San Diego airport is 4.89 to 5.07.extremely expensive! No sign of it ever going down in the near future either

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Gas is usually more expensive close to an airport because rental car agreements require a full tank on return. Those stations usually try to catch those renters. Around here (Charleston, WV), they are usually five to ten cents higher than average. Lower prices are way out of town, about twelve to twenty miles.

7. steph_r

steph_r Witness

£1.21 per litre.
    I'm kinda glad i've only started driving in the last year or two, so i'm already used to the higher prices. No thinking back to the good old cheap days :)

8. Dynamo1

When I was young, back in the good old cheap days, there were full service gas stations, not self service. The attendant would pump the gas, check the oil level, clean the windshield, maybe even check the air pressure in the tires. And you would get trading stamps to fill books of those stamps to redeem for toasters, luggage, toys, or whatever. Or some would give out decorative drinking glasses or china with a fill-up. And they would be pleasant, not groan while hiding behind a glass window.

Enough reminiscing. Local station near my house has $4.02 a gallon, down from $4.09. Near work, about 17 miles away, $3.98 a gallon. At least as of last night. Afraid to check today.

9. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

Gas is now $4.60 where I live in California. It is really expensive. My parents are always complaining about gas prices. I don't drive yet.

10. Dynamo1

Credit cards cutting into already tight profit margins at gas pumps
    by Matthew Thompson
    Daily Mail staff

A Kanawha County gas station might be leading the charge toward banning credit card use at the pump.

Mr. Ed's Chevron, located on the corner of Kanawha Terrace and Walnut Street in St. Albans, stopped taking Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and other major credit and debit cards on June 1.

Manager Roger Randolph said the station could no longer afford the high surcharges that gas retailers have to pay to credit card companies each time customers pay with plastic.

Randolph said for each $50 charge for gas, the station loses about 98 cents.

Full story at Charleston Daily Mail.

11. CSIsPuddingCup

CSIsPuddingCup Witness

well there IS a good side to all this...

with gas prices sooo high, people will drive less.

so wont that lower carbon dioxide admisson? hopefully lowering the threat of global warming?

12. sidlewannabee

That is true but that's still not fair, because we still have to drive everywhere. We have to drive to school, to the store, to church. Just with that my mom has to fill up 2 or 3 times a week and each time she gaoe it is anywhere from $50 to $100. We can't afford that much to pay for gas.

13. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Not if you live in an area where the public transit is non-existent, inssufficient, or it's not conducive to biking/walking, etc.

In the States, if you live outside a major urban center, and sometimes in one, like L.A. or Gary, IN, you're screwed. There's not the Public Transit infrastructure to make it feasable to take the bus. Then, walking/biking is not feasable because things are too spread out. Factor in the weather, whether it's winter with ice and snow, or summer with heat and rain, forget it. Especially if you work an office job, try biking nine miles in 100 degree heat. Not gonna happen.

BTW, Gas is around $4.15/gal on the IN side. Haven't gone over to the Dark Sike (IL, where gas is always at least $.25 more expensive) of late.

And we need to count ourselves lucky. People in Europe and Australia are paying $6-8.00 per gallon, and have been for a long time. It's crazy that only ten years ago, gas was $1.25 per gallon here in the States. Hell, 30 years ago, so I've heard Gas was $.50 per gallon. My how times change.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  14. Dynamo1

While there is a bus system to and from my work (having to switch busses at one point), their schedule is not convenient to mine, since I work any of the three shifts at a hotel.

When working an overnight shift and have to be there 11 PM, the last bus would arrive at about 5:55 PM so I would have to wait five hours before clocking in. And it doesn't run on Sundays or holidays, though the hotel is open every day of the year. If I worked the evening shift and got off at 11 PM, I would have to wait until 8:22 in the morning for a bus, and again no Sundays or holidays.

If you think gas is bad enough, try paying for a cab ride for 17 miles. Probably over $30 each way plus a tip, more than I would earn on that shift.

Now, back on topic, gas dropped back to $3.98 near work but still $4.09 by my house.

15. sidlewannabee

We have to drive to Utah from California this week. Gas is going to cost us a lot of money. We have to fill up twice on the way, twice while we're there, and twice on the way back. Each time is about $80. We almost could have flown to Utah at that price.