Death of an overacted character

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Gnarl, May 30, 2008.

1. Gnarl

Gnarl Civilian

I'm sure this won't go over well, leastwise not with everyone, but, when I saw Horatio shot... I cheered. In my opinion, the actor doesn't carry the largest share of the blame, the writers do. Miami has become too much of a 'splash' scene show and not enough of a crime drama and the over the top heroic way that Horatio has been written is... well, over the top. Hopefully by elliminating this character, the show can get back to a properly gritty crime drama set in a place with spectacular backdrops (the one 'splash' part that is definitely called for).

Example: in an episode so long ago, they had a meeting at the end of the week 'don't forget the meeting' the characters would say to each other... at the end of the show, rather than showing up in a conference room somewhere in Miami Dade to discuss the business at hand... they all get together at the beach. To unwind in a team building moment? Nope... to wander along the beach, presumably at sunset... blech!

I will NOT miss the moments of Horatio pausing to overact as he pulls off his shades... I will NOT miss him putting in yet another pregnant pause to say he's going to bring the bad guy doen... I'm sorry, I just won't miss this character that is far too heavy handed.

2. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Okay.... but the ending didn't show him being dead, he was just lying there. So you are kinda getting ahead of yourself there.

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

That's true, Gnarl. What's that old saying? Don't count your storylines before they hatch.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yep, don't put on your dancing shoes just yet, Gnarl. I doubt very seriously that we've seen the last of Horatio.

I do agree with you on some points you made though. The writers have kind of turned Horatio into a pseudo-Batman-like character.

5. Claire Conrad

Claire Conrad Witness

Yeah, um... people have said... and wondered... and he probably was wearing a Bullet Proof vest. Possibility. He's not stupid!!!!!!! Unless.... nope, that's Mac.

6. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

In my opinion, David Caruso is one of the... least talented actors in show business.
    Horatio Caine was never close to my favorite character on CSI: Miami, and I actually laughed out loud when he got shot. Granted, common sense told me he isn't actually dead, but that's okay. I got the satisfaction of seeing him get shot.

I just don't think it's right to kill off a character on two CSIs... rather than just the original. SO... I just don't think they did. But... I wish it had been H. Caine instead of Warrick Brown.

Amanda

7. doublehelix

doublehelix Police Officer

It would not be particularly interesting if all shows of the CSI franchise looked exactly the same. CSI-LV is the darkest, grittiest and most intellectual. CSI-Miami is the flashiest, most polished, but not the most intellectual(obviously). CSI-NY lies somewhere in between. If they all looked the same there would only be one. Each show should have its own identity.

From season 1 and 2, the show did change. This is often attributed to changes in the writing team.

It would not hurt to retool the show somewhat, I will agree with you on that note. But as far as Horatio being killed off, don't hold your breath.

I will admit that the show has it's shortcomings. Where CSI-LV kind of fires up the brain by trying to think about 'whodunit' or 'how it happened'. CSI-Miami is 45 minutes of colorful escapism. For that time one shuts off the analytical part of the brain and just goes along for the ride.

8. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

How so?

Agreed. Although Mr. Caruso has said he had a small part in the decisions leading to certain storylines--especially last season. But to me, he's done particularily well with what he'd been given (save from what he did himself) even if everything does seem over the top and at times, quite irritating.

To reiterate what others have said, I wouldn't start throwin' the dirt the grave just yet. And to be honest, this show wouldn't be what it is (especially the comic book/escapism bit) without Horatio. Whether we like it or not, he's quite iconic to CSI:Miami--whether positively or negatively. :lol:

9. Missing

Missing Pathologist

This is absolutely true. It definitely sets it apart from the others.:thumbsup: And honestly I think that is what has kept the show going and winning the time slot, even if it is to make fun of it.

10. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:lol:
    I have to laugh at those who make these kinds of comments. If the character was an over-the-top extrovert (ala Tom Sizemore) he'd be accused of overacting.
    :cool:
    For the record, David Caruso is one of the finest actors on series television, perhaps the finest. No one comes close in the creation of an instantly recognized character. Don't like the gestures, punctuated speech, and the sunnies? Fine, but don't call it bad acting. It's characterization, pure and simple.
    :scream:
    You can take all the screamers and interchange them with each other. Who would notice? Not a one could handle the intense emotion personified by David Caruso in his interpretation of Horatio Caine.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Okay, rant for the day is over.

11. Della

Della Police Officer

In my opinion, good acting and bad acting is rather subjective, as in, it depends on what the individual bases good acting and bad acting upon in the first place. It is therefore, in my opinion, something that can't be contested one way or the other, because whatever one bases good acting on, that may be the very reason why another thinks it's bad acting.

In other words, I think it's a pointless debate.

For instance, I've heard it told that there are a fair few people who regard Laurence Olivier as the finest actor ever to have graced the Theatre boards and the Film and TV screen, and yet, while I think he's not the worst I've seen, he's a far cry from being the finest ever, in my opinion.

However, I certainly wouldn't laugh at another person's opinion, especially on something so subjective, because all told, I'm of the opinion that to do so is just incitive, it weakens the basis of your own opinion and possibly even more importantly, (depending on the individual), the recipient of your laughter is more likely to switch off and not want hear your POV.

...Just an opinion...

:)

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just want to jump in here real quick:

Anyone here can call it what they wish--as long as there are reasons for said comments.

From the Board Rules:

With this, saying David Caruso/Emily Procter/Jon Togo/whoever is a bad actor/least talented without backing it up with reasons, is not an acceptable form of constructive criticism either.

So let's remember to back up our claims/opinions and let's fall shy of laughing at others for their opinions, please. Even if it's not meant to be malicious or directed at any particular person, it could be construed as such. Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  13. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

When I said that David Caruso was a bad actor, it was simply me stating my opinion on his acting ability. I do not think that people don't have the right to think he's good. That's their opinion. I'm not going to dissuade from my own opinion, and I, in no way, suggest that others should do so.

I do not simply base my opinion on his acting ability on CSI: Miami. I have seen him in multiple movies (the only one of which I can remember is Gold Coast) and NYPD: Blue. All his characters are pretty much the same. I see very minuscule differences between them, none more memorable than maybe the way he carries himself. His characters are easily forgettable, and the one thing I do remember is that they were painful for me to watch.

Now, like I said, this is only my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me, but I'm not going to change my mind.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  14. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Okay, let's continue. Let's try not to get too OOT here :) Thanks.

15. Clavo Cruz

Clavo Cruz Victim

The truth is, Horatio probably is dead. His sunglasses were bloody before they hit the ground, evidence of a possible head shot. Nobody knew he was there except his X and Kyle (who probably wouldn't have done anything). And if he DID live he will soon probably die since he is an overacted character. For being one of the most watched shows in the world he HAS to die (even though i will miss his insanely awesome shade-take-offage)

From a convicted killer somewhere in Miami
    -Clavo Cruz