Episode 6x21 - 'Going Ballistic' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, May 16, 2008.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

The ending had me rolling my eyes as well :rolleyes:, in fact I've been doing that with all of the Horatio drama we've been subjected to for the past few seasons, and it seems like it's never ending. Honestly, did anyone really think Horatio was dead at the end? Caruso's not quitting the show, so he's quite obviously going to live, if he really was shot and it wasn't just a set up. To me it was just an excuse for more Ho-drama. Jodie was right when she said some of the drama that has plagued Horatio could have been given to Alexx's character. Then maybe Khandi wouldn't have felt the need to move on (if indeed that was the reason she left the show).

Yes Horatio is the main character, the one running the lab, but that doesn't mean that so much of the season's storylines have to be about him, and it doesn't mean that all the bad s**t that can happen, has to happen to him. At least Eric got a major part of the storylines between last season and this season. I'm sure those of us here that have said we're tired of all the drama, aren't the only one's out there that think this way, and I'll venture to say that it may (notice I said "may" and not "is") be one reason why this show's ratings are slipping (yes it still takes the top spot in the hour that it runs, against the other shows on at the same time, but it's overall ratings are down).

I will say that David did a really good job of "dying" in the episode, loved the finger twitching.

2. byline

byline CSI Level One

For some reason, I was reminded of the tollbooth scene in "The Godfather," right before Sonny gets killed.

3. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Well considering everything is tptb wanted someone shot, there was a high possibility it would be H cos he's one of the few left not shot yet on the show.

And the H-fans have been clamouring to have him shot, so we got what we wanted, staged or not. :)

4. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Hi byline and yes, you assume correctly. These forums certainly are not open solely to fans wishing to post positive opinions. It's a discussion board, and all opinions are welcomed here, whether negative, neutral or positive. :)

I'm not sure if I qualify as an H fan anymore. My feelings about him these days have been well documented in other threads, but a staged shooting doesn't work for me. I wanted him to get hurt for real, and not because I have a sadistic streak. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Saw the episode late last night and well.. It was a pretty good episode.

I immediatly liked the new ME, and I immediatly DIDN'T like the new ME's replacement :(
    When Calleigh, after getting her butt kicked by Stetler, she destroys a part of the lab by accident. I laughed my *ss off! Which I also did when H got shot, it was overdone. But in a good way since it was very funny :d

The storyline started off good but suddenly it went into fast forward and the case was closed.

Now who shot H... *pom pom*

6. labgeekluvr

labgeekluvr Lab Technician

I totally missed H sending the text message--that makes total sense to me now--thanks.

7. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Ok I watched the epy for the second time just now and this time on my computer, so that I got a clearer image, and yes I saw the blood flowing from H's body.

It came to mind that H staged the shooting, and he staged it such that it would be real. Which means he meant for himself to be shot by real bullets no kevlar. It made sense to me in the opening sequence everyone was ducking but H didn't.

It doesn't mean he has a death wish or that he's suicidal, just that he has reached a stage where he may not value his own life so much anymore.

Hence in order to save his son, and perhaps his team hence the "H puts his life on the line" in that he allowed himself to get shot for real, on purpose. This way he has Ron Saris for his shooting, murder whatever. But he did have a back-up plan and that was Ryan, hence the text message. Just before H got shot, his face was like he was steeling himself for the shot. He knew it was coming.

Perhaps he wanted Ryan to rush to the airfield and process him (he doesn't care if he lives or dies only that Kyle is safe), or save him?

I said before that DC himself said H is in a dark place, perhaps dark snough to stage a real shooting.

8. miamifan08

miamifan08 Police Officer

Code:
    Yes Horatio is the main character, the one running the lab, but that doesn't mean that so much of the season's storylines have to be about him, and it doesn't mean that all the bad s**t that can happen, has to happen to him. At least Eric got a major part of the storylines between last season and this season. I'm sure those of us here that have said we're tired of all the drama, aren't the only one's out there that think this way, and I'll venture to say that it [I]may[/I] (notice I said "may" and not "is") be [I]one[/I] reason why this show's ratings are slipping (yes it still takes the top spot in the hour that it runs, against the other shows on at the same time, but it's overall ratings are down).
    I'm going to have to respectfully dissagree. All three CSIs are experiencing a drop in ratings over the last year, not just Miami. I just think that the franchise is experiencing tougher compitition from other networks. But the fact that Miami can still boast 15 million viewers on a new episode, and 10 million on a re-run is impressive. Yeah, I wish it wasn't all Horatio all the time (and I'm a die hard Miami fan) but all the shows have their faults and their quirks of uniquiness. It what makes them cool.

I hear that the writers sometimes go on forums like this one to gage people's reaction/get ideas. I hope they're around to hear our mature disscussion and down play the super Horatio thing just a bit.

And if they are reading...NO More Ryan screwing up! He's far too sweet for that! ;):)

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

I don't think you can go strictly by the ratings of the "CSI" franchise. TV ratings are down, in general. Ratings are down for "CSI"'s competition, "Grey's Anatomy," too. People tend to blame it on the writers' strike, but ratings have been gradually declining in recent years, and I think it has a lot more to do with how people spend their time, and also how they watch TV. A lot of people are downloading shows, taping them, buying or renting DVDs, etc., rather than watching them live. And then fewer people are watching network TV because their time is spent in other ways. Just the way it is. We're not going to go back to the days of "Dallas" when 360 million people tuned in to find out who shot JR.

So I don't think it's necessarily accurate to equate ratings with choices a series makes, story- or character-wise. They may be completely separate things. All the ratings do is give us raw data on how many people are watching, and what demographics. As far as I know, there's no data collected on why people watch a given show, or why they're not watching others. So our interpretations are just that; we have our theories, but I don't see ratings as being a very good way of proving them. My dad taught university statistics for years, and I always try to keep in mind something he said: "People will use statistics to prove whatever they want." I never got that as a kid, but now I do.

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Agreed. Although it would be interesting if the networks actually wanted to find out why ratings in general are going down by creating a separate polling system. It's a rather moot point in the long run because if they're down, they're down but I'd be interested to see if it's because of the strike, loss of interest, online capabilities, or all of the above. Just curiosity on my part.

I recieved an e-mail back from Corey Miller once and he said (in a nutshell) that while it would be interesting to read fan reactions on messageboards, it isn't always the best idea for a writer/producer/director etc. and they try not to rely on boards. Those involved with the production of the show may have this 'second-guessing' feeling or a certain influence that they wouldn't have, had they not visited a board. And he made it very clear that he and everyone else involved with the show does appreciate to the umpth degree what we say. (as they get e-mails/letters often and there's a small percentage who come here now and again) Though I do know that the actors read what we post here at TalkCSI and this board is pretty well-known with CBS.

I thought about this too--if it was staged, why the blood? Could have been a real shot. (Unless H has perfected movie magic and squib use) I think it would be very smart to go that extra length even if it meant putting him in a sticky situation. But it does make one wonder if had this been a few seasons ago, would he resort to the same death-defying act? I think he does have less self-worth lately. Would be interesting to have that delved into further.

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

Absolutely. Which makes me wonder if the Nielsens gave gone the way of the dodo and are an obsolete way of tracking viewership. Back when the networks and cable channels were the only source, or even the primary one, for viewing TV series, it was a valid tool, but given the many streams through which TV programming is viewed these days, it provides only one piece of the puzzle.

However, keep in mind that the Nielsens don't exist for us, the viewers, but for the networks and advertisers. They're what networks use to charge ad rates, and what advertisers figure it's worth their while to pay. So, from that standpoint, the Nielsens were never designed to explain why viewership dropped off for a given program; they were simply a way for networks to determine/justify ad rates, just as circulation numbers are what newspapers and magazines use to determine/justify ad rates. That's why the "18 to 49" demographic is so coveted by the networks, because statistically, that age group has the most disposable income and will spend it on the products being advertised. It's also why, even though a show may pull in the highest viewership, if it's not winning that demo, that's viewed as a negative. A network can charge the highest ad rates if it's winning that "18 to 49" demographic. Hence, it's making more profit off that show.

12. LostInEvidence

LostInEvidence Hit and Run

Which is what my point is exactly. In NY and LV, they seem to do a good job of keeping things even to where things happen to every character, not just Grissom/Mac. Now I know that Miami is not either of those two shows, but if we could have a storyline for another character other than H, I'll be happy (even if I am enjoying the storyline he has going on right now). But, really, most of us have been watching the show since it started and as much as most of us like H, I think I would like to find out about the "other people", not just Horatio.

On another side note, I actually kind of liked the new M.E. Yes, I hated his attitude towards, well, everyone, but come on! We KNOW the Miami team is gonna whip him into shape. Do you really think people like Eric, Ryan, or Calleigh (and of course H..) will take him mouthing off to them everytime they try to get a cause of death? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan/Eric eventually punched him. ;)

--Ally

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

And far too hot as well! :drool: :) I loved him on Special Unit 2 and I love him on Miami.

:lol: Love the imagery of Ryan or Eric punching him. I wouldn't put it back Calleigh either cause she's a tough woman. :lol: But, maybe the new guy will grow on us. I don't know. I just hope he gets his attitude in check cause we don't need another Stetler. :D

14. Missing

Missing Pathologist

You know though if we saw a day in the life of Stetler --we might like him. But then again he could just be an ass.

As for the episode. Wow what an ending and the way DC played out the "dying" scene was great. All I can say whatever the scenario (staged or otherwise) I hope it is written out well come September.

15. LostInEvidence

LostInEvidence Hit and Run

Now, I know that most of the speculation is that when Horatio texted someone, he was texting Ryan (I believe that's the case). But do you guys think it's possible he texted someone (Wolfe or someone else..) saying that everything was fine, but then ends up being shot and left there making whoever he texted believe everything was on track?

I know it's a long shot. I mean, if he texted Ryan to tell him that everything was going well, why say "It's Done"? And why would Ryan give the "tormented/determined" face, if that were the case?

I know there are a ton of blips with this theory. The only reason I bring this up: I overheard some other people talking about it at Planet Smoothie (of all places!). I just thought it would be interesting to put that possibility down and see what you all think. ;)

--Ally