Did Danny Cheat? *416 Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 10, 2008.

?

Did Danny cheat on Lindsay?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. I don't care

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Very well said. If one of my friends had gone through something like Danny had, and even if it was my boyfriend that had gone through what Danny had, I might be upset that he's choosing to shut me out, but I wouldn't tear him apart over it, nor would I "give up my love for him" either...

Hopefully we get something in tonights ep that clears at least part of this whole mess up. Even if its just a Danny talking to Flack about it moment, it still might shed some light on what has been going on (in the Danny and Lindsay situation, anyway)

2. snowbird

snowbird Witness

After finally seeing this episode, I went with I don't know. From the show point I'd say no because we really don't know what kind of relationship Danny and Lindsay actually have, and there really hasn't been any hints or clues that they are really in one. But I know that if I were personally in Lindsay's shoes and knew about it, I'd feel cheated on, even though it's not classified completely as cheating.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Did anyone who wants to speak up vote for "I don't care"? I'd be curious to hear why some people voted for that...

4. Sammy11

Sammy11 Police Officer

I voted that I don't care. Although at the time I didn't leave my reasons.

It's nothing malicious. I have been the cheated and the cheatee (although I have never been the cheat) and being cheated on is nothing short of painful. So please don't think I am trying to be disrespectful to anybodies real life, issues and problems or situations.

It's just relationship or no relationship, I didn't care about it.

If I'm honest I don't believe Danny cheated, because I never saw any evidence apart from what must have been a quick and painful, drunken romp on a pool table in his apartment (which I must say Danny clearly has a lot of free time as he is forever moving furniture around!) that was to supposedly "settle a bet." That's not even a causual relationship, that's casual sex, which is what Danny is now having with Rikki (regardless of the emotional/ greiving aspect of it).

It was a one night stand (as far as I've seen on the show) and just because you know the person (friend or colleague) it doesn't mean it's anything more than a bad hangover and praying you used protection.

I'm quite happy to believe that Danny has feelings for Lindsey, but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are necessarily romantic. The only "date" we've seen them have is when Lindsey stood Danny up. Obviously I would assume there was a "Date" that was attended by both parties leading up to the pool table sex, unless Danny requested a booty call? And for that he is more likely to go to an ex rather than somebody he has to work with, perhaps Cindy who was around in Season 2.

I pose another question to people, If Flack now got it on with Angell (who I think most people would agree he has actually flirted with already), is he cheating on Devon (did we ever see them finish?) as Flack actually refered to Devon as his Girlfriend (several times in fact!;)), we know they'd had sex though (Stella is also aware of that fact too - somethings you just don't need to know about your colleagues:eek:) even if we never saw anything but the lead up to the main event that was interupted.

Anyway I have digressed so far from the point, anyone still with me deserves a medal! So back to the point in hand. I don't care because although I didn't like the supposed romantic aspect of the Danny and Lindsey relationship (flirting and so on, because I never felt the chemistry betweent the characters that others did), I was never interested in it.

It felt like an immature flirtation (although really what flirtation is mature?) between to emotionally immature adults who are now proved to be too communicationally challengened too. It's a shame because whilst I do love Danny to pieces it was a part of his character I didn't need explored on that level, we know how Danny reacts to people he is supposed to loves and so on, I didn't need a GF added to that list. It also meant that I spent 3 seasons wondering who the hell Lindsey was apart from how she was portrayed through her love life. It makes no diffence to me whether they are together or apart, it doesn't change my feelings about the characters, I don't suddently feel for Lindsey (although as I don't believe Danny cheated either I don't know why I would feel for her) as even after 3 years, I don't know her.

When I saw Danny with Rikki I didn't think "OMG what about Lindsey?!" or "Oh no how will Lindsey feel when she finds out?" or even "I thought Danny liked Lindsey?" I was, another love scene, in a drama about crime? Great!:rolleyes:

So whilst I could have answered No, I chose I didn't care because it was really how I felt about the whole affair (no pun intended).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. privatename

privatename Rookie

I also answered "I don't care." Because, well, I don't. I think the above quote sort of sums it up for me. Also like the previous poster, if this were real life and a real couple then I would care, but D/L are just characters.

I did post a number of times regarding my dislike of things that happened in the episode, but it wasn't about whether or not Danny cheated. I really don't like Lindsay -- irrespective of whether she and Danny are an item or not. But, to me it was just a plot device the writers were using to add drama and I wish they hadn't simply because I didn't really need to see more about the D/L relationship. I don't care whether they are or were together. I don't want to see scenes of them being all gooey or all angsty. I just don't want to be subjected to it and I will admit that that is in part because Lindsay annoys me, but also because the romantic relationships of the characters aren't why I watch this show. I don't mind hints, I don't mind flirtatiousness where the chemistry is genuine, but I don't really want to watch a soap opera.

6. Top41

Interesting takes, guys! I was curious about the "I don't care" answer because I figured we'd get people who were uninterested in either the storyline or one or both of the characters involved.

7. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I also voted "I dont care" on this thread. I really don't believe Danny was really in a serious or even casual relationship with Lindsay, so I don't believe that he cheated.
    I voted "I don't care" about the whole issue because at first, when I saw Danny with Rikki, the first thing I thought was "Oh, i wonder what Lindsay's gonna do." After I thought about this, I realized i really didn't care much of what she did. Even if I believed Danny had "cheated" on Lindsay, I still wouldn't feel much sympathy for her. It would be like Flack cheating on Devon--(if he is even still dating her)--she is a character I don't care about whatsoever, and I'd prefer to see her as little as possible if not at all. I don't like Lindsay, I don't find her a likeable character, and so I don't feel anything for her in the situation.

8. Top41

I can't say I care too much about Lindsay as a character either. It's hard to sympathize with someone who is so selfish and hypocritical.

9. PalmettoHunna

PalmettoHunna Hit and Run

I voted No, because I like to pretend that I am an adult who lives in the real world. Furthermore after high school was over I realized that just because you like-like (yes, I just went there) someone and you two sleep together does not mean you are now in a serious commited relationship. Just because Lindsay confesses her devotion to Danny (which btw...wtf is up with a full grown man going by Danny?) does not mean the relationship was ever defined.

People are in love with each other all the time without being with each other and honestly do you think a smart like Danny is going to really be involved with a woman how refers to Montana like it's a different f@*~ing country...IMO!

10. Top41

Agreed, completely and I don't think the relationship ever was defined. I expect it will be going forward from 419, but I don't think it was before.

Danny, sweet as he is, is not at all smart when it comes to love.

11. PalmettoHunna

PalmettoHunna Hit and Run

This is true...but that is why Flack loves him anyway...now just knock Lindsay off so they can be together.

12. Top41

If Danny were at all smart about love, he would have gone to Flack a long time ago. :lol:

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Seriously. If there's one person who has proven himself to truly be able to love unconditionally, it's Flack.

And moreover, prove that he is more than capable of loving Danny unconditionally without ever saying how hard it is to love him. I highly agree with you in that Danny smiling at what Lindsay said to him in the phone call was because he got confirmation he didn't deserve to be loved or to be happy.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  14. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

After watching the whole arc I can now clearly give an answer. Did Danny cheat? Of course he did.

5 Signs of a cheater 101.

-They suddenly become incommunicado or forget things or dates, and then offer lame excuses (steak sides) about their absense or their reasons why they forgot.
    -Lack of romantic interest
    -they will avoid you like the plague, especially your gaze
    -Whenever you ask them questions, they seem overly sensitive and defensive. They feel like your prying eyes are on them; worse, they will get mad at you.
    -Both of you used to be open with each other, the all of a sudden he or she becomes so secretive.

Geez. Who did all of those things :rolleyes:

Really. Thats really what you believe, or what you want to believe.
    I suggest you watch the scene again. Lindsay had told him she had to let her love for him go. When she said she still loved him, he was relieved. he thought he had F****d everything up. After the crap that TPTB put Danny through last season, you really think that they were going to end the season with him having an even deeper self loathing of himself? Doesnt the guy deserve some happiness in his life, its like some people here want him to continuously suffer.:(

When two characters whose storyline has been played out like D and L, hook up, and then mention not regretting it, it usually means it keeps on happening. There was enough hints that something was going on between them. There was also no signs of awkwardness between D and L which you would assume there would be if it was a drunken one night stand that they both regretted. Thats not to say it was a serious relationship, but still a relationship all the same.

I agree. I think thats why the whole Rueben arc was created. D and L are different to Mac and Peyton or Stella and Frankie. The audience has seen the evolution of D and L's relationship, from when they first met, till now.

They wont leave that up to the audience to assume they love eachother, we will hear the characters say it, and to do that, you have to put them in a situation where the words are warranted. Its the same as a break up. We wont be left to assume that either, and thats why most people took it that D and L were together after SD. You dont built up a realtionship like D and L's to just have it end with a one night stand that both of them regret. It makes no sense as to why TPTB would even want to do that.

After Rueben died Danny sank to the depths of despair. The fact Rikki ,the one that actually lost a child seemed to be able to think more logically than him, should tell you just that. Rikki knew that under normal circumstance what was happening between them wouldn't have been happening. She said that she didn't really know him before all this happened, she also said that "one day you will wake up and realise Ruebens death wasnt your fault" and that she was only "taking advantage of the guilt that he felt so she didn't have to be alone" To which he replied "I don't care, I just want the pain to go away" That should give you some insight into Danny's emotional state. Obviously he wasn't thinking clearly which made him not understand or get what the consequences of his actions could be, but Rikki clearly did. She knew he was going to F**k up his life and his relationship with Lindsay doing what he was doing, and that when his pain and grief susbsided, he would come to regret what he did, but by then it maybe too late. But Rikki was so alone and in so much pain, she couldn't stop it happening again.

We cut to the Lindsay/Danny scenes in their office. If you notice, the only times Danny reacted was when he was reminded of his relationships with Lindsay and Rikki. The first time she says "Dont reduce me to some clingy girlfriend who is trying to smother you, thats not what this is about" then when she said "obviously you decided to do this all on your own, and finally "I've fallen in love with you, and I need to figure out how to let that go" The fact he only reacted to those 3 things sort of tells you YES there was something going on between Danny and Lindsay, something beyond friendship and something way more than just a one night stand or Lindsay reading more into their relationship. And YES on some level Danny knew what he was doing with Rikki was wrong.

I think that Danny in Lindsay's eyes became a different person, that makes sense of her " I feel like I have lost my best friend " comment. The Danny we saw, was not the Danny we all know. Danny has the biggest heart on the show and he is certainly not a liar. The Danny he became was the total opposite of that. He lied to Lindsay about being too busy to have lunch with her, he lied about why he forgot her birthday and he certainly came across as a total a** when he said " I didn't want to go to lunch yesterday, why you got to make such a big deal out of it" Its not just what he said, but the way he said it. Thats what forced Lindsay to react like she did. After weeks of his treating her like crap and shutting her out, she had finally had enough. So she basically told him, she was not putting up with it anymore and that she had to find a way to get over him. Typical human thing to do. Like I said, the Danny he became wasnt the Danny she fell in love with, thats why she had to let her love go. Totally understandable from where I'm standing. I truly belive that Danny thought he could do what he did, and Lindsay would still be there waiting for him. Her telling him that she wouldn't be, was a wake up call to him. He was now at risk of losing the one good thing in his life. And all because of his own selfishness. His " I dont care" was coming back to bite him in the A**. And yes I know that she has been where he was in regards to her friends, but she is still human afterall. When somone treats you like crap, there is only so much you will take, before you have had enough.

Saying that. I dont think Lindsay was weak for forgiving him. It takes a strong person to forgive. Especially after the way he treated her. But she loves him, and I think that after having had some time to think about things, on some level, she could sort of understand why he acted the way he did, plus its just not that easy to throw what they had away. I think after RND she started seeing reminders of the old Danny, the Danny she/we fell in love with. If you can work through crap like this, your relationship normally comes out stronger in the end. Like the old saying. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

And as to people calling Danny an A**. Thats a normal reaction. I think a lot of fans felt like Danny had cheated on them as well as Lindsay. And not just the D/L fans, I saw a lot of Danny fans reacting the same way. I think it shows that TPTB are doing something right. It shows just how connected we are to these characters, which in turn shows good storytelling.

Oh and to the person below me. If Danny didnt cheat. How do you make sense of his " How sorry I am for pushing you away and Lindsay's reply of "Danny, I tried to give you your space, but I don't know how much longer I can feel alone, its messing with my work, its breaking my heart" How much longer I can feel alone. Interesting, because in a way she was sort of saying, I dont know how much longer I can do this. Also, Danny said, pushing away, not that he broke up with her.

Oh in regards to the whole Montana thing. Danny and Lindsay were not in a relationship at the time. There is a big difference. Plus Danny shared the name of her friends killer, People with PTSD( which I believe Lindsay was suffering from) distance themselves from anything that reminds them of the event.

Oh and if the writers didn't think of them as a couple explain Pam Veaseys comment at the beginning of season 4 where she said " Danny and Lindsay are together and their relationship is happy and interesting, but at some point there will be a bump in the road-like any relationship" Yeah that certainly doesn't sound like they were together at all. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  15. louise_dk

louise_dk Dead on Arrival

Danny did NOT cheat. Even the writers did not see Danny and Lindsay as a couple at the time. Also, how the heck should he know that Lindsay thought of them as a couple?

I love my friends dearly and I still forget their birthday continously. They don't get mad at me, when I wish them happy birthday, a couple days late. Lindsay was showing her bitchy side when she whined to Danny about him forgetting hers. So what if he did? There will be a chance NEXT year.

So Lindsay was open to Danny? Yep, that's right. She totally told Danny why she was leaving NY for Montana. Nope, she never told him, so why should Danny be open towards Lindsay? She acted cowardly towards Danny. Mac and Stella was told why she was leaving, but supposedly Danny was not a trusted one?

If Danny felt some info was none of Lindsay's business he had every right to be mad at her, heck, even yell at her would be acceptable.