Grade 'Like Water for Murder'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How would you grade Like Water for Murder?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. A

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. A-

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. B+

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Interesting take on it...that would imply that Danny and Lindsay had been hanging out/possibly hooking up but that it had been a pretty casual thing, and that she knew she wasn't as into him as he was to her--because, after all, even when a girl don't want to face it, she can tell.

And Danny appears to just be trying to smooth things over, because that's what guys do. The less emotional weirdness/awkwardness, the better! :lol:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

"Like Water for Murder" was up more than one million viewers from "Right Next Door". 4.16 had 12.24 million viewers and 4.17 got 13.34 million. The ratings aren't quite what they used to be, but it's interesting that it would go up one million from week to week. (Of course, "Right Next Door" was also up against a NBC Primetime special, so that could have something to do with it.)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that since I thought it was interesting. The rest of the (mostly confusing) ratings information can be found here. :D

3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Wait they were up? Intriguing. I mean, since people were saying that they would quit watching the show since of a certain pairing.

Obviously Danny/Rikki didn't do much damage. If at all.

4. Top41

^Apparently, the buzz of the Danny/Rikki hook up worked and brought people to the show, apparently.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Wait. Ratings went UP after the Danny/Rikki episode? :lol: Well now, I think that says it all.

If there was remotely any guilt at all, he wouldn't have looked at her the way he did in that scene. He would have glanced away at the very least after saying to rent the movie or, hell, not said it at all. But the way he looked at her ... he was definitely not remorseful or afraid about saying what he did. And like you said, if she's known all this time that Danny's never been into her and she denied it to herself all this time just to maintain some fantasy in her head, then yes, she's as responsible for the mess as he is for not talking things out with her.

And yeah, Danny is such a typical guy who just wants the emotional baggage gone ASAP so he can move on. :lol: See, Danny, this is why you don't have sex with a co-worker who has multiple personalities!

6. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

That's what I would do. Remembering that they are in a work environment, I think Danny was trying to avoid situations like Lindsay going out of the lab (which if you ask me was totally weird and unexpected and made me go :wtf:) . Awkwardness is bad for anyone, and I think that Danny was doing the right thing by trying to smooth things. Unfortunately Lindsay didn't see it like that so..

I have an old and long idea with the "multiple personalities" thing, it would be better though for the thread with our own storylines.

7. Dims

Dims Hit and Run

Exactly i totally agree with that...;)

whether we like it or not angst and conventional soap operish methods always work in shows (see Grey's Anatomy) for example....they created this dramatic obstacle between a "relationship" in the show and ofcourse even though people were dissapointed the majority of them (if not all) were interested to see the reaction of the third party and the continuation or the result of this additional angsty development between the two characters they know and love.

Its a pretty formulaic device..angst when it is romantic always attracts audience which is why soap operas have always been succesful and definitely everlasting. Even the most established shows with the highest reputation and a quality that is undisputed have tried the romantic angst and the love triangles (Lost).

I have a masters degree on Film Criticism and the specific device CSI used is sth we faced and analysed on my master many times. The one conclusion we were always reaching is that such a device even if it is considered hiddeously commercial and lacking any depth and quality has at least been proven over decades - succesful -

Clever writers ;)

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I keep seeing people comparing the Danny/Lindsay/Rikki story line to a soap opera. I don't think that's the case at all.

A soap opera would be Danny and Lindsay were married and had a daughter named Emily. Lindsay suddenly and inexplicably disappeared. After some years she was delcared dead. Danny met his neighbors Rikki and Ruben Sandoval and after much angst about Danny not being able to forget Lindsay Danny and Rikki embark upon a relationship and blend their two families. One day Danny is on the job and has to go to the hospital to process an accident victim. She is disfigured, has amnesia and no ID on her so they have no idea who she is, yet Danny is oddly drawn to her. Meanwhile Ruben and Emily are in an accident where Ruben is killed and Emily is rushed to the hospital. During the course of trying to figure out the identity of the accident victim and Emily being treated for injuries it comes to light that Emily is the daughter of the accident victim. But how can that be? ZOMG! the accident victim is Lindsay! Now Danny has to choose between his old life with Lindsay and Emily and his new life with Rikki. Oh, yeah, it was also discovered that Emily is pregnant and she says the father is Ruben, because, Emily and Ruben are now teenagers and they were attracted to each other. Living together because their parents were involved didn't help the situation and one thing led to another.

What is happening on NY is drama and angst, but it is no where near a soap opera.

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

And naturally Emily would have aged 16 years in like 2 seasons, right? And Rikki would be trying to tear Danny and Lindsay's rekindled lurve apart?

Yeah, that's a soap opera. Danny having a relationship with Rikki after possibly having a relationship with Lindsay isn't a soap opera.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

You're correct. Even Ruben's death acting as the catalyst for Rikki and Danny having sex doesn't come remotely close to soap territory.

And I should say "thanks" to you for reminding me what a real soap is, Fay, so thanks!

11. Top41

LOL, that makes me think of the Maria/Ben/Meg/Derek storyline on Sunset Beach. :lol: I miss that show! :lol:

I think people are equating a romance/love triangle with a soap opera, and that's not really accurate. Soap operas are outlandish and wild and crazy and the plot twists are just so out there, and actually kind of creative (if a bit cheesy).

This whole thing with Danny and Lindsay and Rikki isn't overwhelming the show, even if it is a focal point for discussion. I think it's played out pretty believably, aside from the fact that we're still not sure as to the extent of the relationship between Danny and Lindsay.

12. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Great fanfic!! Update soon . . . . please, pretty please? Can't wait to see what happens. :guffaw:

13. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

Hello!
    I've been lurking here for a while. But something about this epi has been driving me crazy and I just have to ask a question.

How in the world does Lindsey determine that the tiny crumble of stone in the vics clothing was from a gravestone???

I mean, come on, you would be able to tell it was sandstone, limestone, granite or marble. Sure. But since it didn't have Rest In Peace chiseled on it, how does she come up with "gravestone"?

I'm looking forward to any thoughts you all may have on this!

AbbyD

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Hi Abby, welcome to the board. :) Yeah, honestly, she wouldn't be able to tell that. In the episode they determine it to be slate, so I would have thought that the obvious choice would have been that it was from a roof tile, but that's just me.

Because I'm in the mood for looking things up, I had a look back at the episode and at one point Stella says something along the lines of the cuts made on the victims being from a gravestone or 'something made of the same kind of material', so she's keeping an open mind. And later when they are identifying the trace elements found in the lacerations, the computer screen says that it's 'hypothetical origin' is a gravestone. So basically Lindsay was guessing at the origin, and was correct of course due to it being necessary for the plot. :lol:

15. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Totally off topic: CSI:NY guest starred two ex-Sunset Beach stars: the girl from DOA for a Day and in Commuted Sentences the guy who was playing Tim :D