The Challenge Guide Thread - Updated May 1/11

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

~*Your Complete Guide to Talk CSI Fan Art Challenges*~
    ~This is the thread for all things challenge related~

I know that this is a long post, with a lot of information, especially for those who have been around for a while. But it could be a useful tool, so please take a look at it.
    This thread will not be stickied, but we'll leave a link in the Fan Art Forum in case it's needed.
    _________

List of Current Challenges
    If you have a suggestion for a new challenge, please PM one of your friendly neighbourhood Fan Art Mods. But, please be patient with us. We will discuss it between ourselves before giving an answer. Please don’t EVER open/start a new challenge without permission from a mod.

List of Current Deadlines:
    • Wallpaper Challenge: entries due October 29th
    • Icon Challenge: entries due November 26th
    • Misc Challenge: entries due December 17th
    • Signature Banner Challenge: entries due January 15th

Tools/Resources

A Basic Overview of Talk CSI Challenges

These are generalizations. Most will have exceptions, as each challenge has it's own individual Rules.
    • Currently, all of our challenges are entered anonymously.
    • Levels/Categories: Most of the challenges have different levels for you to enter at, depending on skill level. There is more information about this below.
    • Recognition Awards: This is the TalkCSI version of a Mod’s Choice award. Most challenges aren’t run by a Mod, so we had to change the name. Basically, the Challenge Runner’s favorite, or one that they believe deserves special attention; for instance an artist that has made great strides in improving their work. These awards are the prerogative of the Challenge Runner. Not everyone gives them out.
    • Winner Banners: These have become a tradition for TalkCSI challenges. A customized banner with your entry and it’s placing, made just the right size to use in your signature. Usually, the Challenge Runner will offer these when the results are posted. If not, it’s easy enough to find someone to make if for you if you so desire.
    _________

Challenge Levels
    Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced

Most challenges now offer different levels to participate at; beginners and advanced. Some challenges have intermediate as well. It can be hard to decide which level you belong in, so Wyoming came up with some guidelines to help you out. They’re very useful, so take the time to look over them:
    There's also this nifty thread, the What Category do I Belong in? thread, where you can submit your work for people to 'evaluate' level-wise.
    Also, if a Challenge Runner or Mod tells you hat you're good enough for the next level up, listen to them. They know what they're talking about.

Entering Challenges
    • Everyone at TalkCSI is welcome to enter any challenge they wish (though you have to sign up for the LIMS).
    • Sometimes beginners feel they aren’t talented enough, or just aren’t ready to join. Don’t worry. No one will criticize you. No one will tell you that you don’t belong there. Here ate Talk, we don’t bite. At least, not until you’re used to us.
    • Currently, all of our challenges run anonymously. This means that no one should know which icons (or whatnot) are yours. Please be fair with this. People have a tendency to vote for their friends, even if unconsciously.
    • Please read the rules of each challenge carefully. Each challenge is run differently, and some may have special rules in place. Occasionally a challenge will have different/special rules for one time only.
    • Be fair when making your icon. If the challenge calls for no brushes, don’t use a brush and try to pass it off as a texture. If you are to use only the provided pictures, don’t go looking for a similar one of better quality or such. Not cool.
    • Many of the Challenge Runners have taken to posting instructions on how they’d like you to format the PM you send them with your entries. Please be sure to follow these guidelines. It makes things infinitely easier for them.
    • If you have questions, you can post them, or PM the Challenge Runner or a Mod (depending on the question)
    • This should go without saying: always respect fellow participants, and the runner of the challenge.
    • Remember: These challenges are all about fun! And a little bit of learning too :)
    • Challenges here are entered by sending your icons to the challenge runner by PM. If you have less than 50 posts, or have been here for less than two weeks, you will not have PM privileges yet. However, if you are interested in joining, simply leave a post saying so in the appropriate challenge thread, and other arrangements will be made to receive your entries

Voting in Challenges

Everyone is welcome, encouraged, even, to vote in the challenges. You don’t have to be an expert, you just have to pick what you like.
    • Always read the rules before voting. Again, each challenge is run differently. Some have special extras to vote for.
    • Obviously, don’t vote for yourself. It’s not cool, and you’ll get caught :cool:
    • Even though the challenges are anonymous, sometimes an artist’s style is recognizable, and you know which friend it belongs to. Don’t vote for it unless you mean it.
    • Don’t choose an icon because it’s your favorite character vs one of a disliked character. Vote on weather or not it’s a good icon.
    • If you enter a challenge, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t vote. Everyone else participating will be voting against themselves as well.
    • When voting for an icon etc, vote based on quality, not the character featured in the art. That is unfair and biased

For Those Who are Running Challenges

(Especially those who are just starting out)
    • Picking a theme can be fun. But make sure it’s doable. If a theme doesn’t get as much of a response as you’d hoped; try not to be too disappointed, and don’t take it personally, even if it is frustrating.
    • Also, themes are bound to be repeated. Especially classics like shipping. If someone else copies a theme that you’ve used in the past, take it as a compliment.
    • Be aware of the other challenges! Having more than one challenge due on the same day, or having a whole bunch due in the same general time frame can be frustrating to the participants, and often forces them to choose between them.
    • When selecting a deadline for entries, make sure it is a day/time when you will be available to post the voting. If something comes up, you can always change it.
    • Ditto for ending voting and posting results.
    • Recognition Awards: These are optional. If you don’t want to do them, you don’t have to. They are, however, highly recommended. They’re a nice added touch.
    • Winner Banners: As stated above (way up at the beginning), these have become a tradition here. If you don’t want to make them, it’s very easy to find someone who’s willing to do them for you.
    • Keep deadlines (both for entering and voting) reasonable. If it’s too short, people won’t have time, and you won’t get enough entries/votes. Too long, and it drags out. People get impatient or loose interest all together. If in doubt, ask; or… five days is a good timeframe.
    • NEW!! You must wait at least 5 days between posting results and posting a new challenge.
    • With our recent move to vBulletin, there have been some changes regarding the posting of images. You can now only post 40 images per post (that includes smilies). If you have more than 40 entries, you’ll have to put them in separate posts. My recommendation would be to put each category in a different post. Yes, even if that means triple posting. DON’T ABUSE THIS PRIVILEGE.
      Another option we are trying out is to post the entries on a livejournal community, which can be found here.
      We don’t know yet if this will be changed. We will let you know if/when we hear anything.
    • You don’t need to vote in your own challenges. Since you know who made each icon, it wouldn’t really be fair anyway.
    • If you know that you are going to be away for an extended period of time (vacation or such), please make arrangements for someone else to do the next round of your challenge, even if it’s just asking one of the mods to take care of it for you.
    • Tired of running challenges? Not a problem. Some one will take over for you. For one or two challenges only, or permanently, there’s always someone willing to help out.

People Who are Interested in Running Challenges

Running a challenge can be a lot of fun, but it can also be... well, challenging. Ask yourself these questions:
    • Am I organized enough to run a challenge?
    • Do I have the time available to devote to running a challenge?
    • Do I have the patience to deal with everything involved in running a challenge?
    • Would I rather run a challenge than enter it?
    Consider these questions carefully. If you still want to do something, let us know. We can't guarantee anything, but we'll keep you in mind if something comes up.
    _________

Challenge Breaks

Having so many challenge running almost constantly can get very crowded and/or overwhelming. Occasionally, we Mods will decide that a break from challenges is necessary, We’ve done this twice now, and both times it has gone over very smoothly. We’d like to see that continue with any future breaks that we may have. In order to do so, please keep the following in mind:
    • These breaks are imposed for a reason. It’s not that we’re trying to be mean, we’re trying to keep things running smoothly in our lovely little home… er, forum.
    • Amongst other things, these breaks help reduce burn out. As much as we all love CSI (why else would we be here?), and related fan art, sometimes it’s nice to focus on other things. Weather this means you use the break to focus on other fandom art, or take a break from fan art completely is up to you. These breaks are for your benefit.
    • This hasn’t happened yet, but just in case you’re wondering… Complaining about these breaks will do you absolutely no good. It may even annoy us into extending the break, so don’t do it.
    • From now on, these breaks and any follow up information will be posted in this thread.

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Suggestions, Feedback, and Whatnot related to challenges can all be posted in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread

Megan, just...WOW. :)
    Great work on this new thread, very organized and informative, thanks for taking care of it! [​IMG]

3. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Very good idea! I think everyone who is new to the Fan Art Forum and those who aren't 100% sure whether they know every rule/guideline should benefit from this! :)

4. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I agree...I'm glad they are all in one place :D I didn't realise we could only use 20 smilies max but come to think of it I don't know when I would :lol:

5. Dragonfly

Thanks Hon! Figured if I was going to do this, I should do it right :lol:

Glad you think so!

6. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

[quote
    ***New***IMPORTANT*** With our recent move to vBulletin, there have been some changes regarding the posting of images. You can now only post 20 images per post (that includes smilies). If you have more than 20 entries, you’ll have to put them in separate posts. My recommendation would be to put each category in a different post. Yes, even if that means triple posting. DON’T ABUSE THIS PRIVELEGE. If there are more than 20 entries in a category, well, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    We don’t know yet if this will be changed. We will let you know if/when we hear anything. [/quote]

Great thread Meg! Very informative! The above though will be an issue with the Miami challenge. We consistently have more then 2o entries in both beginner and advanced. So we need to talk about what we can do here. I really don't want to do 5 posts.

I could do:
    post #1 - 20 beginner entries
    Post #2 - the rest of beginner, intermediate, the beginning of advanced
    post #3 - bulk of advanced

I am not sure if this would be too confusing though.

7. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Yep, this 20 pictures per post rule is challenge contrary. :(
    I just had the idea to post screenshots of the entries, not sure yet how to manage this, but this way all entries and categories would remain in one post.
    Let me think about it some time. :)

8. CSI_Kat

I also just thought of this. I could make a LJ just for challenge entries.....Meg did this for the wallpaper challenge once. I could post them all there and then post the link here. It might be a pain - but it is something to think about as well.

9. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

^ Oh an LJ just for challenge entries (a community, yes?) seems like a neat idea.

You could always just post the entries as links too. Could be quite annoying and put some people off of voting though.

Megan, great job on the guide--it's quite informative. :D

10. Dragonfly

Thanks Geni :) I have to say, I'm kinda proud of this thread :eek:

And... Vera and I are still trying to decide on a more permanent solution to these new rules. We don't know yet if they're permanent, or just until things get settled at our new home.

We'll keep you updated :cool:

11. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Yeah, agreed! *pads head* :D This thread is cool and you can be proud! :)

OK, as Meg said we're still thinking about a permanent solution, but until then I grabbed Kat's idea and combined it with Geni's tip and created a LJ Community for all Talk Fan Art Challenges as another option for the Challenge Runners to set up the voting.

Here's the link: TalkCSI Fan Art Challenges

As Kat said it'll work the following: when you want to open the voting for any challenge you'll upload the entries to Photobucket or similar, just as always, and then go the Community and post them in there, copy the link to that LJ entry and post the link in your challenge thread here at Talk to start voting.

Again, this is just another option, if you're not used to LJ or just hate it, stick to Meg's advice to post all icons (banners, wallpapers) for voting in two or three separate posts, exceptionally for challenges it's allowed :)

12. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Or they could just do what you always do when you want to post the challange icons but don't post it, but instead only go to "preview post" and then make a screenshot of it. Yet another opinion on this matter :rolleyes:

13. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Buuut: I tried this yesterday, inserted about 40 smilies :D and clicked "Preview" and it just kept telling me: "No, no, you're not allowed to post so many pictures, smilies are also pictures, blah, blah, blah..."
    Have I told you lately that I love the new rule? :vulcan: ;)

14. CSI_Kat

Has there been any discussion as to why we can only post 20 pics? Are they considering at all changing it? I am obviously curious because the Miami challenge is rather large and I likely cannot even use the 3 post option.

15. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Yes, we brought this subject to discussion but we have to await an answer. Seems like RL takes those responsible away from the board atm, and you can believe me when I say: we're more than eager for an answer too.