Mac #9: We Are Oatmeal People

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Jade_Nolan, Jul 17, 2011.

?

new thread title

Poll closed Jul 31, 2011.
  1. It's Detective, Detective Mac Taylor

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. New York City's Guardian

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 8433 is our number

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. We *are* oatmeal people

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. We like waterfalls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

You know, I was watching "The Thing About Heroes" today, and I can confirm his age as being 41 at the time of "Blink". You know, he mentions how he was 14 when he was there for the murder of Will, and they said that that happened 30 years ago. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, or why any of us didn't think of this earlier, but I just have to say again that you are uncanny in your ability and knowledge of our man :)
    Oh, and I agree with whoever said he can do better. IDK if the pic's grainy or something but she looks a bit... not like me to be for him :hugegrin:

2. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

To these dates cannot be right. It is not realistic. The professional career is much longer for his position. 

3. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

You are absolutely right. In real life the dates and speed of his advance within his professional life are absurd. But unfortunately we're not dealing with a real life set-up, but are constrained to the parameters of the show. These *have* to be right because 1) we're told Mac's age, so that can't be changed, and 2) there are key points in his life - when he was new lieutenant in the Marines, when he joined the NYPD, and when he became head of the crime lab - that they've also given to us. I made the dates as spread out as possible, but there's only so much I can do with what they've given us. As it is I've ignored some inconsistencies in the show in the date department which make his rise in the NYPD even more absurdly fast than what I came up with :p But since it is all fiction, I simply decide to enjoy that our man is just decidedly brilliant :D

4. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

You said it perfectly. I am am just going to enjoy the perfection that is Mac Taylor.

5. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

:D :D :D :D :D

Woo! I don't know why I forgot this date confirmation when I was working it out. Probably because at the time I had found so many problems with COTP that I chose to ignore everything from the show except the fact that he was in Beruit as a new lieutenant, and that he was 41 in 'Blink' :p But fantastic catch! :) haha, and I do know my Mac ;)

6. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Jade, Iam sorry.You are right. I love Mac as well as he is. 
They could have made it also realistic. This is Hollywood! Everything must be nice young and be super slender.

7. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

TPTB are so wrong, it's ridiculous. but is it really realistic to think that he was a beat cop for a long time? I think that given his military experience (And his education), he could have been a beat cop for a short time, taken the detective's exam, and become a detective/investigator with the crime lab in the space of about 2 years. His career with the NYPD could have been fast-tracked. Of course, this is pure conjecture. I have no idea what I'm talking about and this has not been researched at all
    *cue Jade reaching over and beating my theory to dust with her research* :p

8. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

aww, I'm not going to beat your theory to dust, just large gravel :lol: You're both right and wrong. You need 3 years on the force to be eligible to sit the detective exam, so unfortunately, that aspect of his career being fast-tracked couldn't happen. BUT, getting the title of 1st Grade Detective is nearly impossible without a serious hook (person pulling things for you), and given that he was 1st Grade in only four years, and head of the crime lab in another four, Mac clearly had someone pushing his career forward. Either someone in Claire's family was higher up in the NYPD, or in the way I'm writing his early detective career, I've made his boss (the then head of the crime lab) basically take him and his career 'under his wing' so to speak. So you are right about his career being fast-tracked, but only once he made detective.

9. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Made two screen caps from the 'To what end...?' episode and I just think it's funny.

Jo said, let's leave the cannolis and take the gun. Either she said it funny to them or messed up. The second picture makes me think she messed up. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary-- I mean Mac just looks so cute winking like that. :drool:

10. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

A WINNING TEAM! Only Mac Taylor can put that off!:)

11. Rena

Rena Rookie

Speaking of Mac's DOB, I once read in a special edition of the P.M. magazine that his birthday was November 1st 1965. It's a German science magazine. Though I cannot possibly claim they're right, I think it is somewhat reliable because they do good research and serious reporting. The special edition was about all three of the CSI shows with a lot of background information. Each character had a small biography section. Horatio was born in January 1960, which would make him 52 now. Eric was born in 1978 (or 1980?). I never purchased this edition and I didn't remember very much.
    However, as we all know, these dates are never to be confirmed due to the fact that the writers change stories all the time. I remember that the CBS website once said that Horatio was divorced, yet they never mentioned an ex-wife and later his status of being divorced was removed.

Here's a link to it:
    http://www.pm-magazin.de/m/pm-cit/pm-cit-crime-investigation-team

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Mac's DOB as November 1st is based on the fact 'Murder Sings the Blues' which happened on his birthday was aired on that date. As for the year, he was born in 1961, not '65. While it's true the writers have never specifically given us a year for his DOB, there are a couple of key things which allow it to be pinpointed.

1) In 'The Thing About Heroes', he mentioned he was 14 years old when Will Bedford was beaten to death, and that it was 30 years prior. That would make him 41 in 'Blink'.

2) He said he was a "new lieutenant" when he was in Beruit when the Marine barracks were bombed in Sept 1983. Given the requirements to be an officer, this also directly coincides with and confirms his age as 21 in 1983 and a DOB of Nov, 1961.

Based on this and other mentions of things throughout the series, I have come up with a timeline for Mac, MaCanna Taylor, and Claire.

Mac timeline cheat sheet

Mac:
    1961 – DOB, beginning of November (father 38 y/o)
    1983 – Marine 2nd Lt., Beruit (21 y/o)
    1987 (spring) – met Claire (24 y/o)
    1990 – married Claire (27 y/o)
    1991 – Desert Storm/Silver Star/shrapnel injury (although this could have been at the very latter end of 1990, but not likely), left Marines, took NYPD job as beat cop, father died age 67 (29 y/o)
    1994 – made detective and joined crime lab (32 y/o)
    1998 – made detective 1st grade, Stella joined lab (36 y/o)
    2001 – Claire died (39 y/o)
    2002 – became head of crime lab (40 y/o)
    2003 – ‘Blink’ (41y/o)

Claire:
    1967 – DOB, beginning of April
    1976 – parents split (age 9) - this event I have deduced from the fact that Mac mentions Reed is from Chicago but Mac's father mentions how Claire has family in NYC. The most logical deduction is that Reed was adopted (and born) in Chicago, and that Claire has a parent in both locations.

1984 – had Reed (age 17)
    1987 (spring) – met Mac (age 20)
    1990 – married Mac (age 23)
    2001 – died (age 34)

McCanna Taylor:
    1924 – DOB - guesstimate based on his known involvement in WWII

1947 – married (age 23)
    1962 – Mac was born (age 38)
    1983 – Mac’s commission and Beruit (age 59)
    1990 – Mac marriage (age 66)
    1991 – died (age 67)

And yes, the fact that I took the time to put all this together I suppose just goes to show how much of a Mac nerd I am, but hey, I don't deny it in the slightest and quite proudly admit it :hugegrin: :lol:

13. Rena

Rena Rookie

Well, as I said I don't know if they were right, so your timelime might be a possible biography :)
    I remember the story from his childhood, but I'm not so sure if "30 years ago" is an exact reference to the time. It might have been summed up to 30 years instead of let's say 29 years.
    How do you know Claire's parents split in '76? "Family" can refer to aunties or uncles or cousins. I don't think that the most logical deduction would be a divorce of her parents unless in America "family" always refers to parents. I think they're were both from Chicago and moved to NYC because of Mac's career and because Claire had some relatives there which would make it easier for her/them to settle down. That's just my guess.
    Anyway your timelime is very well concluded! :):):) And Mac just turned 50 last year *LOL*

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Mac had specifically said he was 14 y/o when it happened. I don't even know if Claire had any other family and the same goes for Mac. I think Mac is all alone as to family wise. When Mac went back to Chicago, I kinda assumed his mom was deceased because it was never suggested he went to visit her.

Plus, one episode where Flack's sister's car was used by a hostage taker, Adam asked Mac if he had a sister and Mac didn't answer it. In another episode when Danny and Don asked Mac a question, 'if you had a sister', I just assumed Mac didn't have a sister.

15. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

That's quite the timeline, for all of them-I had a similar one for Mac, but your info seems to be right on the year, whereas I was a little off. I tried to figure out Claire's-I wrote a fic a while back for when Mac and Claire first met, and again, it was a year out. Do you mind if I use this as a guide? You sure know your Mac :p :lol: