10x12 - 'Friendly Fire' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I found this episode average. It's not a favorite but it wasn't awful. The technology was cool and after all the things that have come out lately it's not even farfetched. I'm not exactly thrilled by Samantha either. Don't like her, don't trust her. I'm glad Eric told her off after the shootout. She isn't helping with my dislike toward Natalia either. This whole cat fighting thing makes Natalia look really petty. That scene with her, Sam, and Eric about the interview was just such and awful, awkward moment.

Eric was really sweet in the end telling Sam that the bracelet was from Ryan. I'm glad they didn't have Eric flirting with her or showing interest. He was just genuinely being nice.

The Kyle thing was just pathetic... And I'm not even a fan of the storyline.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

I really liked this episode. The techno stuff was cool and I loved Ryan and Walter's reaction to the TV. I do not like Sam, I thought she was a little to full of herself considering it was the first time she was out in the field. Eric was right to chew her out. Doing it textbook on paper is different than doing it in the field, especially when you factor in the "smart bullet."

I don't think Eric was flirting with Sam and I'm glad he told her the bracelet was from Ryan. I do not want any love triangle crap. Let Ryan have her, but we know that isn't going to happen either. Poor Ryan!

The story line itself was good and of course the business partner had to be a greedy pig. Didn't care that the guns had a design flaw, just wanted the almighty $$$$$$. Some things never change.

And the assited suicide thing, why use the flawed gun when you could OD on all the drugs he took. Take them all together, then lights out. Sounds a little less scarey! Oh well.

3. Brianna17

Brianna17 Dead on Arrival

I really liked this episode!
    I loved Ryan and Walters reaction to the tv with the football! :lol:

I LOVED how the Ryan/Eric/Sam thing played out.:) It was very mature unlike season 4. But I really don't like Sam. (Does anyone like her?) She is full of herself. It would be nice for Ryan to have a girlfriend but anyone but Sam. And Eric was right to yell at her. It was her first time in the field and she messed up.

The whole Kyle thing. Seriously?? It was pathetic but it didn't ruin the episode for me.

A+

4. beautifuldisaster

beautifuldisaster Lab Technician

I really liked this episode. One of the best this season. The Ryan/Wlater scene with the tv was funny! Typical boy reaction. Im sooo very happy that Eric told Sam that Ryan got her that bracelet! So sweet! I smiled at that scene! I was prayin please so not go down that roadleith what happened with Natalia again! If you're gonna give Ryan Sam then give her to him. Don't play it out then it not work! That pisses me off so much!!! That being said, I don't like Sam. I agree with whoever said about getting her, if they wanted someone else why did they kill Jesse? I prefer a guy over a girl anyday. Less drama. And as you can tell her and Nat do not get along. But all the guys got along when Jesse was here. Or why didn't they keep Valera if they wanted another girl?! So aggravating! I give the episode an A. I really loved the ending. His message was really touching! The scene with Kyle and Horatio, it wasnt what we wanted but at least we got something. I would take that over nothing. At least we know hes still alive!!! :) One question, does anyone know the title of the song that they played while they played his speech? I love that song! I tried shazam but it couldn't read it cuz he talked during the song. If anyone can help that would be great!!!! :)

5. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

You know, that thought went through my mind as well. Does this mean we'll see more of her and another character tptb will have to make room for?:rolleyes: Sam is not a favorite of mine either; she kind of rubs me the wrong way and I am not sure I completely trust her. I would like to see Ryan involved with someone but I don't think Sam is the answer. We will have to see how this all plays out.

I did like the Ryan/Samantha/Eric thing a bit - glad they had some continuity mentioning Nat. The main reason I liked it is that it showed how far the Eric/Ryan friendship has come - I do NOT like Samantha, nor do I want her to go out w/Ryan, but it was nice to see Eric and Ryan truly acting like friends. A sweet moment, even though I think Sam is a hack. :shifty:

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get a blue box.

I think there was nice gestures on both of their parts; Ryan for giving Eric the bracelet as a peace offering to Sam and Eric telling Sam the bracelet was actually from Ryan. It is nice to see Eric and Ryan getting along after their rough start.

The whole Kyle scene was completely disappointing. Couldn't H and Kyle actually conversed?

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree with this. Walter's actually the only one in the cast that she even has any kind of chemistry with too. :lol:

Well, my dad thinks she's cute LOL. But I don't like her. I don't trust the character. She has no chemistry with anyone in the cast aside from Walter.

Or Erika Sykes LOL.

THIS SO MUCH! I miss Valera! Samantha is a very poor substitute for Valera that its almost insulting to the character of Valera. And Valera had way more chemistry with Ryan (not necessarily talking about romantic chemistry, but chemistry in general) and EVERYONE in the cast, whereas Sam has no chemistry with anyone except Walter.

7. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

Just finished watching the episode and I loved it. The plot was good and the ending was unpredictable.
    My favorite part was the tv scene with Ryan and Walter, really funny!
    I also liked the interaction between Ryan and Eric, but I don't like Sam, she is so full of herself, hope she will go away soon.
    Dave Benton is back!!!!! I'm so happy!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. takemethere

takemethere Civilian

I like Sam. Maybe because I loved Taylor Cole in The Event (before it got cancelled). Also I felt sorry for her when she went to resign just because she made a mistake. It's definitely Natalia who comes off bad in the little rivalry they've got going on.

As for the episode, I loved the Sam/Ryan/Eric thing. And I clearly need to go back and watch it again because I didn't notice Kyle at all.

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

takemethere- don't worry, if you blinked you probably did miss it! Once again TPTB make promises they can't live up too! Not really surprised!

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I don't have much to say about this episode. At least Horatio didn't just let a bad guy fall to his death (or worse shoot him just for practice). This episode was pretty forgettable except for those Smart Bullets. If I was grading this episode like a teacher in school grading a test, I would give it a C.

BTW the grade poll is missing some grades. It's missing all the minus grades and on D it also missing the plus grade.
    A+
    A
    A-
    B+
    B
    B-
    C+
    C
    C-
    D+
    D
    D-
    F

11. GregNickRyanFan

What rivalry? I have yet to see ANY kind of rivalry. I don't see how Natalia getting on to Sam for a bad mistake Sam made (that could have let a killer go free) equals a rivalry. If that were the case, wouldn't Sam and Eric have a rivalry considering how Eric got on to her in this episode?

In regards to this episode, Natalia had a good point about why she should go talk to the person with Eric rather than Sam going. The person had already met Natalia and would probably be more comfortable talking to her rather than a whole new person. I know I would if it were me. Just because Natalia said she'd go instead does not necessarily mean she's trying to "compete" with Sam.

-=======

And this is NOT to any particular person, but is more an observation of many comments I've seen:

There seems to be a double standard going on. Natalia gets on to Sam for a mistake that Sam made that could have kept them from catching a killer (which could result in more deaths) and she's called all kinds of negative names. Eric gets on to Sam for a mistake which could have cost lives and he's praised. Do people even realize that they do this? LOL. For the record, I think both Natalia and Eric were in the right for getting on to Sam for her mistakes. I'm just saying, why the double standard? If its okay for one character to get onto another for a mistake, why isn't it okay for another character to get on to the same character for a mistake? Now, I do admit that the WRITERS took it too far with Natalia's dialogue. That whole "you should quit" garbage was way out of character for Natalia, just like a while back when Ryan wanted to leave a crime scene prematurely because he was hungry. The writers put stupid, irresponsible, out of character nonsense in the scripts sometimes. Maybe they're just tired and don't realize they're doing it... or maybe they want it to seem like there's something going on that isn't (like a rivalry for example). But again, I've seen absolutely ZERO indication in the episodes thus far that would suggest a rivalry.

I personally feel that Natalia is merely just suspicious of Sam (with good reason IMO). I don't think its a rivalry or anything like that. Just because someone doesn't trust someone, it doesn't mean they have a rivalry with them.

Think about it this way: They have this case where they pretty much know who the killer is, but the killer is so good at covering his tracks (or has very skilled people helping him cover his tracks, as well as money helping) that it is seeming near impossible that they will ever be able to put him away for the crimes. And okay, during the highlight of said case, someone new joins Horatio's team (not new to forensics, but new to Horatio's shift) and she just so happens to screw up the one possible lead they could have had to get the killer? And then she just so happens to come up with the perfect way to find out who is responsible for the one girl's death... and that just so happens to lead to a whole different suspect (than the person the CSIs believe did it, but can't find enough evidence against)... that suspect then gets killed his first or second day/night in lockup.
    Not to mention according to spoilers, Samantha's boyfriend just so happens to be the newly appointed district attorney or something, that is also suspicious. He could be in on it or she could just be using him for information the way Erica Sykes used Ryan for info in the past... or tried to use him anyway.
    And then there's how very quickly (almost seemed rushed in a way) Sam got her right to carry the gun (as a CSI)... not even Molly got her certification that quickly LOL. And Sam suddenly makes detective, seemingly faster than any of the other CSIs on Horatio's shift? My feeling is someone is pulling some serious strings to move her along in there faster than normal... and that its someone with a lot of influence and resources in many high up areas.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I agree and said pretty much the same thing in a post somewhere else.
    Agree here too and for most of the remaining post.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This is what makes it different, IMO. Samantha made a mistake, fine, so put her in her place and be done with it, like Eric did. But Natalia took it a step further and told her to quit. Who exactly is Natalia to tell her to do that? Then in this last episode it wasn't just the fact that Natalia told her she was going to the interview (because Natalia's reason even made sense) but it was the attitude she said it with. It was a really awkward moment were Sam and Eric even looked at each other like "what's going on? But okkk....". She could've just said "you know guys, I talked with her this morning so maybe it would be better if I went". But she went off with "uh no, I'll go...". To me it was all about her attitude and the look on her face. She wouldn't have said it like that to say Calleigh. So I do see rivalry and I do agree that Natalia is the one who's looking bad in all this.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Personally, I think the way she reacted (regarding the evidence destruction) is probably the way a lot of people would have reacted under stress. She was frustrated with the case, the fact that the Navarros seemed to be one step ahead of them at every turn... and the fact that they may have lost their one lead in catching the guy. Did she overreact? Sure, but stress and frustrations can do that to anyone. I know I've snapped at people under stress and said things I shouldn't have. I'm sure everyone has and if they tell you they haven't at least once in their lives (if they're above a certain age that is) then they are lying lol.

The look on her face during the scene in this episode with Eric and Sam looked normal to me. :shrugs: And it was ERIC who made the comment and ERIC that Natalia was replying to, so I don't think there was any "attitude" there at all. I mean, if it had been Sam who said "well as my first job as detective, I should go talk to the wife" and then Natalia said what she said, maybe I could understand the idea that there may have been an attitude there... but, she was replying to Eric, which makes a difference IMO.

Again, I believe the only thing up with Natalia's reaction to Samantha is that she is highly suspicious of her (with good reason IMO).

15. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I don't think I have a "double" standard w/this whole thing. It all comes down to attitude. And the bottom line is Eric actually felt bad about HOW he came down on Sam and apologized, while Nat seems to have continued to hold a grudge (for no reason). There is TOTAL ATTITUDE in her body language and tone of voice every time she has a scene w/Sam, and it's juvenile. :rolleyes:

When Nat first corrected Sam, she did so in a childish way. You can say she was stressed, but CSI work is a stressful job all the time, so why this time did she freak out? PLUS Nat has made many mistakes, and one that actually cost a person THEIR LIFE. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. She needs to remember back to when she started and everyone didn't trust her and Ryan was so mean to her and fed up with her (I didn't like that either). She should also remember how Cal stood up for her and H has supported her, and act more like that. To see her telling someone to quit b/c they screwed up, and not to really apologize, and to still harbor that - it makes Nat look bad.

Eric got made right after the gunfight (which probably brought back bad memories for Eric to begin with - with Speed and his own injury). Afterwards, he knew he was right, but still felt sorry for THE WAY he acted towards her.

Nat on the other hand was very dissmissive of her in this episode - even though her reason made sense, it was the way she communicated it that made her come off like a b**ch. She has no reason to act like that - and she never has before. I love Nat's character, and I think the way she's acting is very out of character for her. I don't want to see this go any further, or Nat will end up looking even worse. :shifty:

I'm saying this for the integrity of Nat's character, not to bash her. I've said the same thing about Cal when she got on Ryan's case in previous seasons and unjustifiable came down hard on him.