10x12 - 'Friendly Fire' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I totally agree with your assessment of Natalia, miamirocks. Except I don't think it's out of character. Natalia became more aggressive after she was locked in that trunk so it didn't really come as a surprise when she went off on Samantha that time. It did make me roll my eyes but I thought it went with her recent behavior.

This. I totally agree about the attitude and it is childish and makes her look bad.

2. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Thanks, hiphugger :) I have to be honest, I never made the connection between this aggressiveness of Nat's and her being locked in the trunk, but that would be some good continuity if it's true (something TPTB aren't known for, which kinda makes me suspicious. I feel like it's just bad writing, but I could buy that it's some post-traumatic stress she's feeling).

However, I have to also admit I haven't noticed her being that aggressive, aside from the first show of the season, and since she missed a couple of eps w/out explanation (which could've further moved on the plot point of her having PTSD but apparently TPTB aren't that creative:rolleyes:), I don't know what to make of it.

As for her behavior towards Sam - yea, it's juvenile and needs to change. It's almost how Ryan acted toward her in the beginning of Season 5, except this has a bit more of a "cat fight" feel. Nat's always been relatively helpful and cheerful to the rest of the team, so I don't know why the sudden change, unless it is PTS from the trunk incident. I just don't have enough faith in TPTB to fully buy that though :lol: But for now, maybe I'll write it off to that and see what happens down the road...good thinking, hiphugger!:thumbsup:

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

How can we know for sure that there's no reason? How do we know for 100% sure that Natalia isn't just suspicious of Samantha and that that suspicion is the reason for any negative vibes? IMO, if there's attitude, that's all its about (her being suspicious of Sam).

When did Natalia cost someone their life? I don't recall that at all. I'm wracking my brain trying to remember that and I honestly don't remember anything like that ever happening. Would you mind explaining to what incident you are referring?

She was? She congratulated Sam for making detective. If Natalia was being dismissive, she probably would have immediately changed the subject WITHOUT congratulating Samantha.

Did Natalia ever get any kind of therapy after her ordeal in the trunk? If not, she could still be having some stress from that. That was a pretty traumatic experience. That coupled with the stress of the Navarro case could cause a person to lash out.

However, I find Samantha suspicious, so it wouldn't surprise me if Natalia did too. Here are some points on why Samantha seems suspicious:

*She joins Horatio's shift just as O'Shay realizes that Walter isn't going to play ball and give him dirt on Horatio... not to mention at the key point in this tough to prove case (because the suspects always seem to be one step ahead of the team).

* She just happens to destroy evidence (which she should have known better about given how she wasn't a newbie at the job and had previously worked on another case) in THE ONE CASE that Horatio and team were having difficulty pinning to the person they believed responsible for the murders.

* She just so happens to find the piece of evidence that leads to another suspect, who does have ties with the original suspect, just in time to make up for her mistake.

* She just so happens to mention quitting to THE ONE PERSON she knows would talk her out of it: Walter. He's her friend from when they worked on the other shift together. She didn't go to Ryan or Calleigh or Eric or even Horatio, she went to Walter and said that she was thinking of quitting because she KNEW that Walter would talk her out of it.

* She passes her gun proficiency or whatever its called seemingly fast.

*She makes detective faster than anyone else on Horatio's team ever has, or seemingly so (that indicates that she may have "friends in high places" who are helping her in exchange for "favors", ie spying on Horatio and team).

She just so happens to be dating the newly appointed DA. Maybe she's told to get in good with him so she can find out what evidence they have on Navarro so the Navarros can find a way to explain away that evidence or whatever. We just don't yet know.

All of this is just a little suspicious to me.

4. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

I'm going to guess that they meant 5x01... but they must've forgotten that Calleigh picked apart the kid's insanity plea and that in the end, Natalia had nothing to do with the husband's death.

I assume that Natalia's always been in therapy. She made a mention of her therapist back in 5x04, and I'm sure that wasn't a one- or two-time thing. With a past like hers, I'm sure she's in ongoing therapy.

5. GregNickRyanFan

5x01? I can't even remember back that far LOL. So, I still don't know what is being referred to LOL.

Oh, good point. Didn't think about the Nick stuff. I guess she would be in therapy for that.

6. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Right now, we really don't know how much Natalia knows about Walter being asked to spy for O'Shay, or anything like that. Cal and Walter and H were involved in that, though I guess Nat was probably in the loop eventually, but I don't believe the normal viewing audience will pick up on that undercurrent - I think they'll just see Nat as being a b*$ch to Sam b/c Sam screwed up once (or they may've missed that ep and have no idea why Nat is acting this way.) Either way, while I agree it could be b/c Nat's suspicious, it would make more sense to put Walter in that role, since he was the one O'Shay asked. Although I guess you could say "it takes one to no one" when it comes to Nat sniffing out a mole. :lol:

Ultimately, we have no evidence that Nat is connecting Sam to O'Shay - all we know is she was pissed that she screwed up the evidence (and acted out of character), and is still giving her attitude. Yes, I see her approach to Sam as attitude b/c it's not how she normally deals w/the CSIs - she would NEVER talk that way to Calleigh or Ryan or anyone else on the team - even Walter who's her junior.

I'd also like to reiterrate that I'm saying this b/c I LIKE Nat and don't want to see her character destroyed by poor writing and misrepresentation, leaving us to make excuses for odd behavior. (I just don't know if TPTB are that smart to make Nat suspicious of Sam.)

Actually, I wasn't referring to 5x01, although what she did in that ep. COULD HAVE led the boy to kill, even though it turned out the boy didn't do it b/c of Nat.

The ep. I was referring to was "Permanent Vacation" in Season 6. She lets that mother walk right up to the killer and confront him, and the mother pulls a gun and kills the killer. While it may've been justice, and I don't think Nat is completely to blame, it seems to me she shouldn't have let the mother get that close to that guy to begin with. She just seemed to miss something, and it did cost a life. Again, I like Nat a lot, especially the fact that she's flawed. But for her to be snapping at a new CSI b/c they made a mistake seems hypocritical when you look at her track record during her first year (after the mole thing).

Yea, I think she was dismissive. The congratulations were half-hearted and it was mainly Delko doing the congratulating (he brought it up). She seemed kind of irritated by it, judging from her demeanor. Also, her snappy comment saying that she should take the lead b/c she already talked to the guy - it's the WAY she said it - like I said before, she would NEVER talk that way to any of the other CSIs. I've never seen Nat act like that. It concerns me.

I agree w/whoever said she's probably been in therapy b/c of the whole Nick thing, although I didn't remember the ep. in Season 5 where she mentioned it. I wish TPTB would show us more character moments like that so we can at least know a little bit about where their heads are at and if they're getting any help. She could sure use some therapy after all she's been through, and if that's what's causing her attitude, I don't really get it. Sam has no connection to Nat's experiences, she just another new person.

You and me both :thumbsup: I think most people find her suspicious. I agree with all your points there, and it's looking to me like Sam's working for O'Shay, but who knows - TPTB could just be leading us on. Personally, I think it's a lame storyline that's already been done before, but it's better than just having Sam be there for no reason - I don't really like her and think she's 2 dimensional and boring. There's too many cast members as it is and she's taking up precious time that could be split amongst our regular (and favorite) cast members. :wtf: I HATE that. :rolleyes:

7. GregNickRyanFan

Well, they can't put Walter in the role of recognizing that Sam's a mole because he was friends with her from working with her on the other shift, so he's kind of blinded by that friendship, I think. And yeah, Nat's past as a "mole" is the reason I think she's the one out of all of them that would recognize the signs.

I think she may just have been thinking that Samantha made detective awful quickly and she may have been wondering if Samantha is getting help from higher ups (like O'Shay) and if she's getting that help in exchange for favors (such as spying on Horatio and the team).

Oh, I hope they're not leading us on. I would hate to think Sam was there for the long haul considering how she doesn't have any kind of on-screen chemistry with anyone in the cast other than Walter (and that's minimal in my opinion lol). She may be a decent actress, but acting ability doesn't necessarily mean you're going to have chemistry with any and everyone.

Yeah, if she's not there to be the mole then she should have never been there to begin with. If they want a third female in the cast, why couldn't they just bring back Yelina or Valera lol.