Gary #8: Chicago's Finest

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Jade_Nolan, Sep 1, 2011.

?

new thread title

Poll closed Sep 15, 2011.
  1. Time stands still when you're having fun!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Chicago's finest

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. We steal toasters too!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. We are Gary's girls

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Women have reckless crushes on him..who, us?! nooo...*nods* yes

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

awww, I hope your mom is ok :( And I'm really glad our boy could make you feel better. Like I said, I've had those days too.

SamTheElf, you are most welcome! :D And I hope you beat that flu real quickish like!

And since I try to make a point of never posting without bringing pics, here are a couple pics from Gary's twitter/FB from on set today. I haven't put spoiler tags around them since there's nothing obvious or plot-revealing as far as that goes...

[​IMG]
    HOW is he so handsome?!?!! :drool: :devil: :drool: :devil: :drool:

[​IMG]
    d'awwwwww :adore::adore::adore:

2. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

ThenI have wonderful news for you :) There's still some out there. go to this link: Gary Calendar
    Edit: this has absolutely nothing to do with anything gary related, but facebook doesn't care and twitter isn't the place:
    I figured out how to do the link-y things with the words!! I have no Idea what it's actually called, but I just figured out how to do that. cuz you can't see the link now, see? all you see is the magical portal words (I'm so sorry, Jade_Nolan, I know you're computer-y and good at that stuff and know the technical terms, but I do not) And I'm super excited and I thought you all ought to know :)
    To make up for my excitement and distraction from the rather yummy subject at hand, I leave you with a story that does have stuff to do with him and a beautiful picture:
    So I was doing something for the psych hashtag killer game on USA's website, and they actually mentioned Gary and his beautiful existence!! The more mature character (I'm not going with names here; I know who this thread is about) was going on about the John Steinbeck Museum and how if the psychic character had ever took the time to read "The Grapes Of Wrath" or "Of Mice And Men", he would understand his passion for Steinbeck, to which the psychic character replied, and I quote:
    You can imagine my surprise, excitement, and unadulterated joy when I read that, I suppose, but I'm going to show my reaction in emoticons anyway:
    :eek::eek::eek::alienblush::p:p:p:lol::):luvlove::D:D:D:hugegrin::hugegrin::thumbsup::thumbsup::adore::adore::angel::lol:
    And now, for the picture:
    [​IMG]
    That image was shamelessly stolen from his twitter account :)
    Brii out!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: That became one of my fav pics when he posted it! The guy is priceless! :lol:

And I'm bringing this over from the 'Clean Sweep' thread as it's more of a Gary discussion instead of an ep review, and I didn't want the mods coming down on it :p

See, I'm not sure why it still seems odd to you. Think about it this way - you know many more than 3 people who are in the military, and not only are a most of them family, but those three, are family who you are really close to. They served in some of the most extreme and demanding conflicts, and the two who you are closest to received the welcome of thanks that the Vietnam vets did, on top the fact that they served in the thick of combat. You wish you could have participated, or at least been able to do *something*.

But Vietnam was over, and no real conflicts for the military for thirty years. I can totally understand why Gary didn't end up signing. When you want to do something, what's really the point of joining a peace-time military? It's like how I joined because I want to deploy and do my part. And I can totally see that being his perspective. And then 9/11 happened and suddenly he did have the opportunity and, by this point, the means to do something. So he does. It's not strange to me at all. Even if I didn't personally serve, if I had as many close family who did and went through what his did, I'd be the same way too.

And I agree, if you're not in the 'culture', so to speak, it is a rather different and kind of difficult perspective to grasp. Which is also why military members, family and close friends tend to be a bit of a closed community. It's not done on purpose. You see the same thing within a lot of the law enforcement community. It's just a world which is difficult to relate to if you're not 'in' it, or "entrenched" like you said. But the thing is, Gary is, which is why I don't think what he does is odd at all. It's also what makes him pretty much the most respected civilian amongst all military members. I truly haven't seen anything like it.

4. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

That is the main thing I guess. It take a more courageous person to be a military, cop, etc. The threat of death is enough to make me squeamish. Though they tell me chance are they won't be deployed but the constant moving and other issues is just too scary. I worry a lot about military families losing relatives. I tend to feel more for the home front people because they had to say goodbye to their person. But that is just me.

Good point about Gary. I think guys would've been kissing the ground to avoid serving, but that's just me.

5. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Yeah, I guess those professions do require/attract a certain type of personality/perspective. I know for me, I've wanted to be a paramedic/cop/military since I was like five. I don't know, I guess one does have to be at least somewhat comfortable with the threat of death and the risks involved, but it's also not something any of us dwell on. The job is what it is, every facet of it. Oh, and anyone who tries to tell someone wanting to sign up that the chances of deploying are low, are lying. It still is not if you'll deploy, but when. And it is very difficult for military families - the moving, the separation, and the worst of course if the parent/spouse ever gets killed.

Have you watched 'Lt. Dan Band: For the Common Good'? If not, I would highly recommend doing so. It tells everything - why Gary does what he does, his background, career, it's amazing.

As for avoiding serving, I think the Vietnam war has been about the only conflict which was actively avoided by some. But was a certain sense back then that even though one didn't want to go to war, you just kind of accepted it as your fate as everyone else in your age and generation were being sent (this is from my dad who signed up since he was going to be drafted anyway, and at least then he could choose his MOS). And I know most everybody who has signed up from 9/11 onwards has known full well what they were getting into, and wanted to do it. I think if there had been any actual conflict from the time Gary finished high school through when he could have signed up, he would have. But like I said, it was a peace-time military, and it sounds horrible, but what's the point of putting up with all the bs and the moving and everything if you don't get to be a soldier...? Especially considering that it wasn't as if he didn't have a career :p

6. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

You make good points. I am thankful that I didn't get the urge to serve or met a guy who is in the military for fears of all of the above. Plus, I am more of a pacifist than anything and killing anyone is upsetting be them bad or not.

My mom is one of those people who think the draft should be reinstated and add women! I told her I would move on the spot if that ever happened. The horror of it.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I was at an event tonight with Gary and thought I'd share a pic with y'all. :)

[​IMG]

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

nice *is jealous* What kind of event was it?

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

10. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Thanks vegaslights for the nice photo. :thumbsup::guffaw:

11. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Awesome pic! :D *is very very jealous too* :lol: You lucky people who live out there!

12. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

*raises hand* Agreed! :D

13. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I am with all of you. Very jealous!

14. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

Agreed. Very nice pic :) is that you in the picture, or is it someone else?

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

That would be me. :)