"73 Seconds" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

Exactly!! I don't get why everybody is having such a hard time with this. I guess it's because compassion is a lost art in this day and age.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

There's a difference between compassion and "leading with your heart." DB showed compassion for the little boy who saw his mom get shot and was traumatized. Nick wants someone to go easy on a criminal on his third strike because he made a "connection" with him while interrogating him. The fact that the parole officer has the final say and doesn't have to listen to Nick isn't the point. I don't get why some Nick fans don't understand that some people (not "everybody") see a difference in the two situations.

3. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

I have never once posted about that little boy so don't go putting words into my mouth based solely on the fact that I'm a Nick fan.

Of course there is a world of difference between the a traumatized little boy and a career criminal. That boy needed somebody to be there for him and DB did a great job with him.

I don't even know what the third strike was. Was it breaking parole to go to Vegas with his brother? If that's the case then, yeah, compassion is very necessary because he was trying to show his dying brother one last fun weekend. Of course it totally blew up because the guy is a total screw-up. Even if it was something else, it doesn't hurt anything for Nick to talk to the parole officer. He probably had to say no anyway because of the law.

4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Let's not forget this isn't the guy who actually shot or stabbed anyone on the tram. He had something bad going on but he was actually innocent of the crime Nick had interviewed him about. And yeah, Nick fans get it. Opinions are what they are. I seem to remember a time when Nick said it didn't matter to him that he got criticized for being empathetic, and Grissom recommended him for a promotion afterward.

But those days are over. I suppose since we like DB and Ray is no longer there to kick around, Nick is going to be the one to get the gruff now.

You know, there are a few characters that I could really pick apart, but I don't because I know people here like them and I see no purpose in saying things like that. Everyone can do what they want, of course, but that's just how I feel about it.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Pick away, I say. It seems like in this forum it's perfectly acceptable to "pick apart" characters as long as it's not Nick. Part of talking about the episodes is analyzing the characters and their actions and giving opinions about them. If everyone stopped doing that because someone might disagree with them and be offended on behalf of a character who doesn't exist what's the point of having a message board? People shouldn't have to censor themselves because others are sensitive about their favorite characters. We should all be able to express our opinions without it turning personal.

I wasn't putting words in anyone's mouth. I brought up the little boy to illustrate the difference between compassion and "leading with your heart." Some Nick fans, including you, seem to think that people critical of Nick's actions in the episode don't understand compassion or have a double standard. I'm trying to illustrate that I personally see the two situations as completely different and that's why I have different reactions to the characters' actions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

Let's pick on Brass. He is "tainted", after all...:shifty:

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Not really related to this episode specifically, but since it has a pic from it I'll put it here. Just a little pic/write up in the new Watch magazine about CSI. :)

8. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

Not a bad episode. As for the whole octopus fetish thingy, I'm probably one of a very few people hardly cringing at this one. Maybe, it's because I've unfortunately heard of donkey shows, and this octopus fetish was probably taken from that. I'm not sure nor even gonna stomach if fetishes like these are for real. Those tentacles are perhaps very stimulating for some people, I guess. :wtf: And Brass's line, "Sea World's Closed!" OMGN!!!! Did they really just put that line there??? :rommie:

I do agree with Catherine finally giving out the riot act after her demotion. The whole "no more vigilante, etc, whatever..." is needed to be said. Hopefully, this show doesn't get all Laissez Faire where rules have to be ignored more. That's why I do need Ecklie to go back to being more strict and condescending if he had to in case any of them intentionally screwed up. He wasn't really there throughout the whole Ray/Haskell troubles, he wasn't really there when Nick decided to follow Ray to L.A. only to help Ray when Ray was being involved with Tina's death and then to Haskell's death. I do need the former Ecklie back to keep things in line!

I'm not sure what to make of Morgan. Hopefully, she doesn't get written to be the constant companion to Greg. It's nothing new. I've seen my share of reviews and analyses when a new character or recurring character gets written in, to the reviewer's eyes, "a possible romance..." would take place. Yeah, yeah! With Ryan and Molly in Miami, and when there's Wendy, all I've been getting is "lab rat, with Hodges.." Seen it all! It only makes the whole storyline of a character and that character's involvement with a certain character seemed forced or redundant. I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan's storyline will go by that one path, until it reaches the point of getting rid of her due to lack of interaction with other characters or anything beyond being written like the Siamese Twin with that other character.

I may be the only one who believes that Ted Danson needs to darken his hair. I suppose they hire him because his hair illuminates the eternally dark crime lab even more than the flashlights combined. Like Morgan, I hope that his character being some new transplant with odd work ethics juggling well as a family man doesn't get written in constantly or being thrown in my face alot. Both he and Morgan would take some getting used to slowly. I can see him like Denzel's character in The Great Debaters, one who can be campy or funny or odd one minute, and then strict or bossy the next, if not too strict or volatile like Denzel's character.

I do feel for Dr. Robbins, though, with Ray back in Baltimore with his ex-wife. I do miss seeing his friendship with Ray. Hopefully, he would find another good replacement for Ray in the friendship department, and I wouldn't mind another Doc.
    I am looking forward to next episode.

9. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Yeah, I agree about Doc. I don't watch Miami, (although I wish Alexx had stayed)but I like Sid and Hawkes being kinda friends on NY, and they need to do something like that here. I just love Hawkes yelling "Sid, you're going to that creepy place again!" Would be cool to have another coroner/me from time to time.

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Now that isn't true. You can pick away at Nick all you want, but you have to expect Nick fans to defend him.

It seems it's okay for you and others to pick away at Nick, but then complain when someone defends or argues about the posts.

And for the past year or so, especially at the end of the season, it's been nothing, but criticizing Nick for what he did and blaming him for everything, yet everyone else is to blame, too, yet you and others don't seem to have a problem with that.

But hey Catherine seems to agree with you, so I guess that means it's true. :rolleyes:

Not one time has a Nick fan on here said he was perfect or didn't do anything wrong and yets posts seem to indicate that's exactly what we do.

Yeah, Nick wouldn't change anything he did in LA. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. Still doesn't make what he did in LA was right, it wasn't.

And Brass, is the one that did hid evidence so Ray could get away with murder and yet it seems you and others don't have a problem with that.

Catherine went over Brass' head to bring Haskell to Vegas.

Greg who doesn't stand up to people and lets Ray use the computer.

Catherine, Greg, and Sara who knew that Haskell was cuffed, but never questioned Ray about it or kept pursuing it.

Catherine who brought Ray to LA and allowed him to work the case when he never should have been near it.

Catherine, who is the boss, should have made sure Ray got on that plane.

Doc Robbins who didn't seem to do a 'thorough' autopsy.

Nick chasing Haskell in LA with Ray, used his gun (which was wrong as he has no jurisdiction there, but was trying to apprehend a criminal)

Everyone on that team had Ray's back and backed him up.

But yeah, Nick is the one to blame for everything. :rolleyes:

No it's, Nick disobeyed Catherine in LA (which isn't true) and so it's all his fault. :rolleyes:

I guess it's ok to pick away at a character, but their fans are not allowed to counter it or comment, especially when the facts are wrong.

And remember, it's only the 'Nick fans doing it' yet you all are only picking away at Nick, now aren't you all? Pick away at other characters and see their fans argue with you.

So really blaming Nick fans isn't right as you all only talk about him.

Yeah he leads with his heart, but he also leads with his head.

And remember if he didn't lead with his heart than Cassie McBride would be dead right now and not found alive. So you see leading with heart can be a good thing at times and at times it can be wrong.

Oh, CRM, Nick didn't decide to follow Ray to LA, he was told, by Catherine, to come to LA.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  11. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Okay...I am not calling anyone out here, but I think it's time to put to rest what happened in the last part of last season....and focus on how the team is going to now deal with the repercussions, and look forward to what is in store for the upcoming season.

Trust me, if anyone is used to seeing negativity discussed about their favorite character, it would be me.....I like HODGES for crying out loud! :lol:

I am not saying that we can't defend our faves...but just keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their opinions...be it positive or negative.

12. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Finally got to watch it :D

And I have to say it was a great premiere! Finally tptb did what so many fans wanted.

The introduction of D.B. through the eyes of Nick was very well done... I really felt for Nick in this one... coming back when every one else already met the new big boss, loosing his office and then all the trouble they still have to deal with after the Haskell fiasco. It must have been quiete the blow for him.

D.B. was funny and I really liked him in this one. Hope they continue to bring him in like this. It was really fun to watch him going around giving orders, still having problems to get the names right and yet being a real boss and reminding his subordinates to get their reports done.

Gosh Nick was cute when he asked Cath at the end why she was so pissed of :adore: Loved the many Nick moments we got in this one... hope they continue like that :D Great for every Nick fan! :)
    I guess the only thing Nick really had a problem with regarding the new supervisor was that he had to pack his stuff and leave his office to Ted. Especially because he wasn't told about it before he got there.
    He also seems to be the one who will have the most problems accepting the whole 'work by the book' thing... just because it's simply not how he works.

Can't wait for the next epis and hope they will be just as good or even better :D

13. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Wow! I feel so behind and wasn't sure whether I was gonna watch the new episode, but the praise you guys are heaping on it is definitely convincing me :) I'm trying to avoid being spoiled, but I'm assuming from another forum section that there's a decent amount of Greg? Also, that the other new character is decent?

14. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Alright amount plus there's a few good/memorable things and we learn a little about him, but I'm not gonna spoil them for you ;)

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't view Catherine's rant as blaming Nick solely. I think she was more annoyed that he in her opinion couldn't see the situation from her point of view. It's hard to see things from the other person's POV sometimes. Nick thinks of what he did as keeping a friend from getting himself killed and he feels he succeeded, so he feels justified.

I really wish the writers had allowed Nick to let off steam too... had let him say to Cath, "I did what I felt I had to in order to keep Ray from ending up like Warrick!" and then had him leave the room. And then shown everyone getting the text from DB.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011