"73 Seconds" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'm getting mixed reactions from people at work and friends about the debut of Ted Danson. Some loved him, some are gonna give it some time to decide how they feel. What are you guys hearing today?

I think he did a great job and I like the new feel of the show. :)

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

When we were first introduced to DB, with him lying on the floor, I figured he was a bit quirky, and I liked that. But as the episode went on, I found he just got annoying. Hopefully that will change. I really want to like him.

Overall, a good episode. I loved the argument at the end. I was worried that they were going to gloss over everything, like 'yep, Cath is out as supervisor, DB is in, Langston is gone, that's that', and never reference it again. So I'm glad they really got things out there :)

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I think he was fine as far at it went. But I refuse to judge on one episode. I liked Langston in The Grave Shift but after that I really started to dislike the character. I need more time to make sure that what they did in this episode is what they intend to keep doing with the character. :)

It's the same way with Morgan. I haven't seen her enough to judge how to like her. :)

Yes, I'm one of those 'on the fence' type of people. :lol:

Susan

4. Smokey

Yep...they had to fight it out, just like the fans. :lol: I hope that's the end of it tho and that they move on from here.

I really got the feeling that although DB was brought in to straighten them out or else (thus the line about losing Nick), that he really liked them and wanted them to succeed. I hope that's true. I read a review this morning that suggested maybe his quirkiness was hiding more of an agenda about weeding people out who won't play by the rules, but I really hope he genuinely wants things to work out for all of them.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

If they keep his character like he was in the premiere I'll love him. I thought he was great so far.

ETA: Considering TPTB have said they brought in TD to inject some humor into the show I doubt they'll make him have an agenda beyond wanting everyone to do their jobs and not get too personally involved in cases. The darkness and personal aspects of Ray went over like a led balloon judging from what I've seen from people online so I doubt they'd risk alienating fans futher by making DB a character who is out to get anyone or a psycho or anything of the sort. I'm taking what TPTB has said about the character at face value until they prove otherwise.

6. Smokey

That's good. I hope so! :)

I've read some mixed reactions on other sites today too...seems like not everyone was fond of Ted. I think that's kind of strange, but on the other hand I used to read a lot of positive comments about Ray on other sites too. All of the actual reviews so far tho seem to be positive. :)

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I liked D.B. I thought he was quirky and funny and has a different way to approach the crime scene. I also think that even though he has a sense of humor he also takes the job seriously and will establish a different way of doing things in the lab, more "by the book" like they kept saying. So I like that even though he is quirky, he is not a joke who is not fit to do a supervisor's job. He seems pretty capable of handling the lab and getting things in order, thus his scene with Nick about the report. He was quite serious then. So I don't think it is an agenda but just that he knows what his job is and he will do it and do it well.

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Exactly. He's very authortative and business like without being the "jerk boss." At least that's how I saw him in the premiere. He wants to get along and like his co-workers, but he is the boss and doesn't want to cross a line with them. It's actually kind of ironic that his background is one of "hippie parents" and the like because he seems to be able to compartmentalize his emotions away from his approach to his job much more than the others.

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Here is my slightly belated 2cents worth:

I thought it was a good, but not great, season opener. Danson was good and I think he will be good for the team and the show.

The tone of the episode reminded me of Viva Las Vegas.

I could have done without the octopus sex stuff, but judging from some of the spoilers, I guess there will be a lot of weird things like that I'd rather not know about.

I know the important case was the tram one and the introduction of DB to Nick and the team, but I found myself enjoying Greg and Sara's case a bit more; but, then again, I always love watching Eric and Jorja interact. Loved the whole 'jerker' scene, and kinda felt sorry for the not-so-bright perp.

Jorja says so much with her facial expressions. :lol: And she looked amazing last night. I can't wait to see her interact more with DB and Morgan.

I did love the final scene. This was the Catherine we should have seen in the last 2 years. And Nick just seemed clueless. I don't think we're done seeing some tension as Nick will have to adjust to the new leadership. Even Grissom wasn't so good at reining his team in, but DB seems to have the objectivity and the people skills to do it.

I've put the Ray stuff behind me so I won't belabor those references, but I do expect to see something else in the future with regards to Brass; that shouldn't be ignored.

One more small complaint, but it's a point that will surely 'bug' me throughout the rest of the series. I just can't see Nick as the new bug man. It's not that he isn't smart enough, but I just think there is a certain nerd factor with this role, and Nick has been the least nerdy of the team. He's been the running, gunning, more detective-like CSI. Hearing him speak latin is unconvincing, and I just can't see him pinning bugs to a board and documenting life cycles. Maybe it should have gone to Hodges, or Super Dave.

All in all a good start to the season. Solid 'B' from me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. byline

byline CSI Level One

They must have. I was waiting for it, then ... nothing.

I'm still processing my thoughts on this one. I rarely like episodes introducing new characters; they often feel forced, with too much explaining to do. This one felt that way to me. I also thought that Catherine's outburst at Nick felt uncharacteristic and forced. Kind of like, "We have to create tension, so here 'tis." I really hope they don't keep up that vibe for long.

I haven't liked the way Ray's character was being written for quite a while now, but by the same token, I'm not crazy about characters just disappearing, either. The "railroaded" explanation was odd; after all, he did kill Haskell, and even without evidence pointing directly to murder, it was questionable, which is why he would've had to resign. It makes me wonder what his answer was, but I guess we'll never know. I still would have preferred a confrontation between Sqweegel and Ray, as a way of writing Ray out, but I guess that's not going to happen, either.

I agree with this. It doesn't seem to be a natural "fit" with his character.

11. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Yes on the similarities to Viva Las Vegas that was seen through the eyes of the newbies (Greg and Chandra) and even anyone that hadn't seen the show yet, and 73 Seconds was seen through the eyes of Nick meeting the new guy like the audience was

Agreed about Catherine, but better late than never

As for Nick and the bug thing, I see your point, for me I don't think they've done the Nick the bug guy thing enough and that's why it still feels odd to me

12. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I liked what I saw of the premiere. I switched between CSI and SVU. Boy that's gonna be hard to know what to watch. ;)

Anyway,

I like DB, a lot actually. He's funny, quirky, has a bit of Grissom in him. The part where he was laying down in the tram looking at the ceiling making comparisons to astronomy was so very much like Grissom. And I love the fact that his wife called asking about a Farmers Market. I laughed, so very Northwest. ;)

But CSI writers, please get your geography right. Gig Harbor is in Washington (south and east of Tacoma) not in Oregon. I'd be happy to help you out if you need. ;)

And as much as I hated to hear about Cath and Nicky arguing, I'm glad they left it like they did. So much to leave to our imaginations on how it was resolved. I hope DB didn't try to become a hippy and make everyone hug, I hope he just told it like it is. Which sounds more like his character anyway.

I'm sure I'll much more to say after I watch it again without interruption.

13. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I was very impressed with the episode, I thought it was a really obvious sign that CSI was starting to move away from the "darker years" of previous seasons. I got the impression throughout that the writers appeared to want to shove aspects of season 11 under the carpet.

I honestly believe railroading Ray away to Baltimore was a quick and easy way to just get rid of the character, it's obvious that Fishburne had no intention in coming back for one episode at the start which I think would have eliminated the possibility of either killing him off or having him imprisoned. Even if it wasn't the way we wanted it to end, I'd have preferred to just get the show back on track so I don't mind Ray's "happy" ending so much.

The numerous references to Ray screwing them over does make me think the writers believe they may have gone down the wrong route and I thought Catherine's line of leading with their heads instead of their heights was reasonable. I thought the argument was done well and I personally see it as Catherine wanting to let off some steam more than anything.

As for DB, I liked what I saw from him. He definitely has a more friendly and humorous aura around him which Langston never had. Whether or not I think he'll save the show is something I'll decide upon once we've seen more of him. However the season ahead looks very promising! I really liked his interaction with the

The cases were fine I thought, although the conclusions felt a little on the rushed side, particularly in the B-case which seemed a little, pointless in some sense. (Although I'd like to think it was included to give Greg and Sara some decent screentime). Saying that, there seemed to be a LOT which needed to be crammed into 45 minutes, introducing two major characters, one of them a new lead, wrapping up last season's messy conclusion AND having two cases in. I thought they did a pretty good job anyway.

One thing I thought was immediately noticeable was Greg's back to his pre-season 7 self in my opinion. (Heck, the writers even remembered he has Norwegian family!) Which was fantastic considering how much the character has been toned down in recent seasons. I would have liked to see some more of Brass, and hope they acknowledge the events of In a Dark, Dark House in some way. (Can't we all just pretend that episode never existed? :p )

Overall, a really solid start to the season, I think I might have enjoyed this episode more than any of those in Season 11 which suggests they seem to be getting back into gear. There are still a few loose ends but I can't say I'm surprised given how sloppily Season 11 ended.

A- from me. :)

14. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I hate it being on so late. Now I have to catch online between classes. :(

Anyway, I really liked it. A lot has been said so far about the ep so I'll keep this short.

I really like DB. He seems like a really nice guy yet still has the aura of authority.

I loved the interactions between Greg and Sara and Greg and Morgan. Ignore Nick, Greg! Pursue the Morgan! :lol:

Honestly, I'm rather happy about the outcome of the Haskell affair in terms of the lab. Mistakes were made. People were hurt. Consequences were given. Now lets move on. And sadly I find myself siding with Catherine's logic in the ending argument.

And Hodges and the tentacles. :guffaw:

So... yeah. Looking forward to this season. Loved Danson and I have good feelings about him.

They just need to do something about the time slot....

15. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

So far i'm liking DB/Ted, just what the show needed as it had started to take itself to seriously.

I like the human element of DB and wondered if his connection with his family is what makes Catherine decide to leave.

Nice chemistry between Morgan and Greg, might work best as a kind of sibling rivalry more than anything romantic.

As for the cases they weren't that memorable but due to the cast changes that's not really surprising as they weren't the main focus of the episode. This was more about the team than anything (as the end scene nicely showed).

I felt this as well, didn't really sit right with Nick's character and always ends up feeling forced.

I hope they continue the Nick smackdown for a bit, only because i miss the Nick of old that was more excited about the forensics than the gung-ho stuff. Everything Catherine said at the end was valid and hopefully Nick will swallow his pride and admit some culpability.