The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Oh how I wished for an emergency as well. Or for her to just pass on her own without me having to do it. But it wasn't meant to be easy, was it? :(

Well, I'm sorry to tell you all, but Ellie is not running around with the others. She is ruling them! :lol: Sitting on a perch high in a corner somewhere above the rest, I am sure, for that is how I found my girl. :)

After the death of my cat, Rex, at the age of 14, I went to a lady's house who fostered older cats so I could pick out two. She had one room with all kinds of cats roaming around, and there was Ellie sitting high on a perch in the corner like she was queen of them all. :) Then she climbed down, walked over to me, and sat down in front of me and looked up at me like, "Well? Let's go. What are you waiting for?" :lol:

And since I wanted two, and since the people there LOVED Cricket and said he'd get along with her, Ellie and Cricket it was. :)

Thank you. :) Thing is...my cats pretty much are my family...at least as far as what's in the house. Just me and them. That's what makes it extra hard, because of course you know I talk to them and everything pretty much revolves around them. It's so hard when I leave in the morning now to not be able to say, "Bye guys" because there is just Cricket downstairs. :( And no more, "See you later, Ellie-gator". :(

Well...anyway...I found this article yesterday online. It had just been posted yesterday. Perfect timing! It's about a dog, but it really expresses everything any kind of pet lover feels during a loss. It is a really, really good personal story of dealing with a loss, especially how social media helps deal with it these days. I encourage any pet lover to read it!! :)

2. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

No, it never is, that's for sure!

I'll allow that :guffaw:Although only 3 of my dogs up there loved cats, the first one would have spent her life chasing one :lol:

I SO understand that, talking to them, I do the same thing. I also lost count of the times I tried to put feed in Nugget's empty stall instead of moving on to the next one. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this nice big chunk of tail hair that we saved. Some kind of memorial doo-dad or something special.

Are you thinking of getting Cricket another companion? How is he re-acting to Ellie's absence?
    I also love your new sig, it's a beautiful tribute!

ETA: forgot to say thanks for that link, it was a very touching story!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. Smokey

It's amazing how many things I realize now that I do because of the cats...arrange my life around theirs. :) Like I always put my glasses in my nightstand drawer instead of on top because Rex used to chew on them. And I put my makeup on in the downstairs bathroom because I had to keep an eye on Ellie and Cricket when I fed them so that she would not eat his food (she was allergic).

There are a couple of places where Ellie sat a lot that still have some of her fur on them. I have yet to clean them off. :( I'm not sure I'd make anything out of the fur tho. :)

Well, I have Snow Kitty. Some of the people here can probably tell you about him. :lol: He has a Facebook page too. He was a stray that I started feeding and it took me a year to win him over. Then I moved him inside this winter, but I couldn't integrate him with E&C. Ellie especially I knew would fight him, and he has claws...she didn't. So he has his own room (or rooms, depending on the time of day). It might be possible to get him and Cricket to live together at some point tho. That would be nice. Much less hassle.

Cricket and Ellie weren't really friends. They didn't buddy around or anything, so it seems so far that he really hasn't taken notice of her absence.

Thanks for the compliment on the banner. :) And yes...I love that story so much. It really helped me.

4. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Today was the day :D

I brought Teddy and George home today :)

The two are not shy and explored the whole apartment already... even though they preferred sleeping behind the couch on the cold floor instead of their bed but I guess that will change soon.

It's fun to have kittens in the house... they chase each other around and play and it's fun to watch.

Teddy is the orange almost strawberry blonde kitten and George the dark grey tiger striped one. I haven't taken much pics of them because they move too fast for my crappy cell phone camara but there you go!

One
    Two
    Three
    Four

I've also decided to change Teddy's name into Seppel or at least that will be his second name now :lol: The people at the shelter want me to name him that :lol: 'Seppel' is the sevenst dwarf of the German version of the Disney fairytale Snow White. They said he acted like this dwarf at times and so I decided to name him both :lol: Which means he is now Teddy Sepple... even though I still prefer Teddy :)

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

They're adorable NickyFan. :lol: Glad to see they've finally come home.

I understand the difficulties in getting pictures. Socks will still run from one end of the house to the other at top speed for no reason. :lol:

Susan

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

NickyFan, they are adorable :adore: You'll have a fun time watching them grow up :)

7. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

8. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

My niece does that too.. :lol:

NickyFan, they're so cute! Keep sharing the pics as you can catch them. :)

9. fangeorgeEads

fangeorgeEads Hit and Run

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  10. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Aw, they are so precious NickyFan!
    So glad you finally got them home, and I see they have decided to like their new bed :)

I keep thinking I should post some pics of my furbabies, but have been totally lazy :lol:

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cat, Smokey. We had to put our cat, Buddy, down in October and even though he was 17 years old and it was time it was still hard. :(

I've been missing having a cat around and have been lobbying my parents to get another one. Last Saturday I volunteered at the local Humane Society and I actually got them to come in and look. The HS just sent out an ad on FB saying they have 99 cats/kittens in the shelter right now so they are having a sale on them. I sent the ad to my folks and I think my step-dad, who was the one most against getting a cat, may be on board now. There are two that he saw at the shelter that he liked so we might be getting a new family member soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

12. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

So my buddies finally found out how nice it is to play in the middle of the night... because there is no one watching them :rolleyes: And of course they were so tired this morning that all they did today was sleep... and that in the best poses :lol:

A way only guys sleep :guffaw:
    cuddle time

George last night... reminds me of Smokey's Cricket :lol:

Does anyone know how to make kittens sleep at night?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  13. Smokey

Those pics are too cute! In the cuddle one they are both winking! :lol:

You mean this? :guffaw:

I told you. Wear them out with play during the day. :lol:

14. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Believe me, I would... if they wouldn't be sleeping :(

15. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

It's not only guys. This is my little girl. (in her current favorite spot - a bathtub!) :lol: She will lay down somewhere and be on her back sound asleep within 2 to 5 minutes. How I wish I could fall asleep as soundly and as fast as she does.

Like Smokey said. Keep them up during the day. The good news is that Socks did eventually settle down once she got used to being here. (But you got to remember she was already a year old when we got her and your 2 are younger. :)) Our difficult part was our 1 main rule - Never disturb a sleeping kitty! :lol:

Susan