Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

Number one I'd like to see happen in s8 -

Since I'm 99.8% positive this is NY's final season, Mac needs to die quite heroically and tragically in the finale.

There. I said it. Mac needs to die. I'll cry buckets, but it's the only proper send off for his character.

And I sooooooooooooo agree with Danny getting out of the lab and him and Flack, to all intents and purposes, being partners. I also want to see Mac actually working cases more, like he used to, instead of him being just the "boss-man" now. We used to see him in the lab, taking crime scene pics, wearing that jumpsuit (*driiiiiible* :drool:)... but now it's a rare occurrence :(

2. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Mac allow to die I do not find well. You are right. Mac could work more in the laboratory as earlier. I love it. It was always interesting. We must wait.
:confused:

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I'm glad the season didn't end on the kind of cliff-hanger that NY has done in the past. I think they left the show at an interesting plateau, and it'll give them a certain freedom where to start from. Should be good.

Agree about the team. Hope it gets 22 eps too.

Well, I gotta say I'd be a whole lot more excited about Danny being promoted if I thought it would give him some individual focus, but I have at this point a sneaking suspicion it really will be used more as a DL device :p. Here's hoping there's a bit more to it than that.

I like seeing Danny out on the street too, and/or processing scenes, and I do love the Messer/Flack interaction :lol:. I just don't want that to be the default of how he might be used outside the labs. I agree; I think a lot of his more interesting material in earlier seasons stemmed from his actions outside the lab, interviewing people, etc., not just chasing them down. I'd also love for him to be partnered up with others in the team, and not just Flack, when he's out and about.

It's also fun to see Flack working with others too :).

:lol: True.

And if the show could find a way to include Sid more often, and branch out the nature of his appearances too, I'd sooooooooooo love that :D.

I also think the general forensic montages could be trimmed just a tiny bit too :lol:. There was a time where there was occasionally dialogue exchanged in the labs, talking about a case etc., and not just a time-lapse indication of uber-investigation whereupon we get the synopsis/presentation after the fact. I guess it's just hard to decide how to use the screentime, and moving things along thru montages is just so ...convenient... :lol:.

Those group meetings/mallets are similar, ensuring we all know what's happened, especially if skipping over/ahead just a bit in order to set up the next jumping off point. It was nice to see that turned on it's side in the S7 finale, where it wasn't about a synopsis at all but used for character material.

Number One I'd like to see happen in S8, especially if it's the last season and/or NY kills off Mac, ...they need to bring back his sideburns :lol: :p.

And while I understand the impulse and see how it could be one version of a fitting end, I kinda agree and kinda disagree; I'm torn :lol:. I guess I'd ultimately like to see them wrap it in a suitably heightened and dramatic fashion, but with him stubbornly still kicking :p. Hobbling severely if need be. But not dead.

Something other than the ultimate sacrifice. In a way, him being a survivor of all his years of service, with all he's lost over the years and all he's been marked by, not least 9/11, it could be moving to have him and New York still standing, finding a way forward.

Guess we'll see :p.

I can kinda understand the show featuring him as the boss man. Yeah, he does do some of the scene processing, and yeah, there were indeed a few instances of him doing lab work this season, but I agree, it would be nice to see him participating in some of that a bit more, and also ballistics & weapons testing, recreations, etc., which he used to do more of. He's not performed a magic trick, been set afire, participated in archery, used a samurai sword, or throttled Danny etc., in quite some time :lol:. I do think it'd be a shame to lose those type of few fun scattered moments altogether.

That said, he does indeed have a whole lab full of people to do the processing :p. I dunno; if they have Mac intereacting with supervisors, press, suspects, witnesses, his team etc., more than doing lab work, I wouldn't mind. I guess I enjoy when GS as Mac has the opportunity to interact with other people rather than teh Shiny :lol:.

4. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I know I read somewhere too that they'd ordered 22 eps, but I can't lay my hands on the article right off.... hmmm, must keep looking :p

Couldn't agree more! There used to be a lot less analysis montages. Or maybe it was how they were done that makes it seem less. They used to use lab time as actual scenes - figuring out how a chip bag set a fire, all Mac's weapons tests, Mac's "smoking experiment", Danny and Aiden testing the robo-spanker :guffaw:, etc... And now it's just montages set to a music track with said mallet-y explanation of their results, instead of a running dialogue while they figured it out. I definitely liked the old way of doing it.

Haha!!! I could go for that :lol:

Yeah I can see that too. I really like your parallel comparison of him and New York itself. I never quite thought about it like that :) That would make for a really good finale too. Either way, poor Mac sounds like he's in for a rough time ;)

agreed! agreed, agreed, agree, AGREED!!!!!! not to mention rat-topsies :lol: He doesn't need to be lab techy or anything, just do more of those rather dramatic, hands-on demonstrations and tests he used to do. :D

5. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

Sorry i couldnt stop laughing at rat-topsies :guffaw: it made me laugh after the day i've had and i gotta use rat-topises as a quote on my fb if that's ok

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I don't want to see him die either. My shipper heart would love a ship ending, but in order to please everyone, that wouldn't be a good idea. I think I'll be happy as long as he's still going at the end lol

7. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I wonder if in s8 they'll make anything of it being 10 years since 9/11? They really should. I mean, I know there are issues of sensitivity towards those affected by the events of that day, but I imagine there'll be a lot of 9/11 focused stuff on tv this September, and 9/11 is a big part of who Mac is and *why* he is who he is. If it was handled correctly, and respectfully, it's something I'd really like to see. Even if it's just Mac visiting the WTC site, or talking with Reed about Claire.

As for Mac dying, that would be *awful*, but it would be very fitting, in a way. In another way, I'd like to see him as Elwood described, still standing, along with New York, finding a way to move on. What I'd really, truly, like to see for Mac next season is more meaty, in-depth personal storylines that are less to do with him being peronallly hounded by some bad guy or other, and more to do with a case affecting him on a deeply personal level, like in Yahrzeit or Taxi, or Nothing for Something/Life Sentence, or seeimg him struggle with private demons while investigating a case. What made s1 so good for me was that while Mac was investigating the various cases, it was very apparant throughout that season that he was still struggling with the loss of Claire, which affected how he worked cases, but was at the same time very personal to him. I'd like to see more of that kind of storyline for Mac next season.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hell. I expect even the writers aren't 100% sure what they're going to do with any of the characters for all of s8, however long it is, yet. ;-)

8. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

HAHA, no probs! :lol: and sure you can use it! :D

One other specific Mac request for s8 in the same vein as him doing more crime scene stuff... I was rewatching s1 (again ;)), and was reminded that on top of being way more involved in the crime scenes themselves as opposed to supervisory stuff, he wore "normal" NYPD issue as well - NYPD CSI jacket/coat, CSI coveralls (on several occasions actually), etc. I WANT that back!!! :devil: ;)

And on a less personally biased and shallow level *cough*, I reeeeaaaaallly want at least somewhat of a return to the 2 crimes per episode formula. Not every ep has to be that way, but it would make for a nice change of pace both within the season and series. We've had the 1 crime thing for what seems like forever now (although i know it's not...), and at least the occasional deviation from that would be awesome! Plus it'd give them more of an opportunity to utilize the entire team without having to constantly resort to skull-bashing mallet montages and scenes :shifty:

AGREED!!!!! It was basically the whole underlying theme of not only 'Blink', but really all of s1 in establishing *who* Mac is and why. And if you take into account that him never really getting over Claire's death has been almost a running theme throughout the series, I think it'd be all too appropriate in many ways if they worked it in somehow. Even if it's something as him revisiting the memorial, like MacsLady said. Considering that scene in 'Blink' is probably one of the most powerful to date, i think it would be amazing to have him go back.

9. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

I sooo agree with you Jade! I miss those NYPD jacket/coat (even though we saw the jacket coupla times in s7 if I'm right. :)) But those coverralls....I WANT'EM BACK TOO!!!!!

Generally more Mac in crime-scenes and in lab in next season! I know he's the head of the crime lab and bosses are well....'bosses' but Mac's character is much more than just that! :)

10. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

So excited and hoping for a 22+ episode order! Very happy to have the wonderful cast back to play the fabulous characters I love. I loved season 7 and I am sure season 8 will be just a amazing.

11. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Carmine's wife tweeted that he will be filming in July, so I assume that means the writers are already back. Hopefully spoilers soon.
    Although if I was his wife I wouldn't be happy cancelling my honeymoon.

12. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

I don't think it matters how many episodes Season 8 has, the most important is that if this is the final season then let it be the most spectacular show.

I don't want to see Mac die, but I think his life should slow down, so I'd like to see Stella come to New York and take Mac to New Orleans with her as I am sure not only will he find a new challenge, but a slower pace of life with the woman he told in season one that he couldn't do the job without her.

13. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

That would be a beautiful ending to the show.

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I wouldn't want to see Mac go off with Stella, but I do like the idea of seeing his life slowing down and him moving on (just like so many years ago he moved on from the Marines to the NYPD). I'd love to see him go and work for the Marines as an instructor of some kind, at OCS or something like that (Officer Candidate School). So he'd still be serving his country, but in a more low-key way. He'd be *awesome* at that kinda thing too.

I wouldn't mind a mention next season that Mac has been to N.O. to visit his *friend and former partner* Stella since the events of 'Exit Strategy'.

15. cjack_87

cjack_87 Dead on Arrival

I agree with this as a fitting ending to macs time at teh nypd.... i hope season 8 isnt the last but yet again how much more can the csi franchise do so i think all the csi's will be coming to an end. I hope this season danny will be more in the field as a seargant partnering flack, danny will be sort of what angel was like which is more suited to danny as he was always better in the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.