"In a Dark, Dark House" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 4, 2011.

1. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I remember him from a couple episodes of Burn Notice and Sons of Anarchy

I remember writing in my full review (finally finished after 5 hours of writing) how Cath's last scene with Brass, and her little look back at him before she walked out kind of made me think she was telling him "we're even now". Since she went over his head to get Haskell out of prison to begin with, this is her way of making things square with him.

Also something that I thought was noteworthy -Sara's comment to Greg in the locker room:
    "We have all had our moment in the dark where we had to fight our way out, and when we did, it was up to the rest of the team to shine a light onto that darkness to see what happened."
    That is the entire summary for seasons 5-11. Nick, Brass, Sara, Warrick, Greg, Catherine, Ray, and even Gil. They’ve all gone through that darkness, and they've relied on their team, their family, to get them through it.

my full review can be found here

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Only 20-30 seconds?? as Ronald Weasly said in the Hogwarts Express to Harry regarding Hermione (with a little free change of the expression ;))
    "tptb need to sort out their priorities" :lol:

3. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

First off, let me confess that I didn't watch these last two episodes. Raskell was never a favorite of mine and I was more interested in the ending of Bones. That said, I think that Ray, at least, seems to have been totally in character. In two-and-a-half seasons, we've seen plenty of Dark Ray. Regarding the rest of the team, I think it's interesting that the one member (Sara) who stayed true to Grissom's "follow the evidence no matter where it leads" is also the only member that wasn't there when Warrick had his problems that got him killed. Everyone else has some guilt that they didn't do more to help Warrick.

The writers have to be complimented on setting up good reasons for three characters to be leaving the show. Ray would be leaving for obvious reasons. Sara, after talking things over with Grissom, could decide to leave for good. Cath might decide her leadership abilities are lacking. If we get the "negotiations are ongoing" line thru June for LF and JF, it's almost certain that one or both are gone.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm sorry but I can't stand Langston and for the entire team to stand behind and lie and risk their careers-is pathetic.

For the writers at CSI to devote a THREE YEAR STORY ARC to one character who has been only on the show for three years is pathetic. I'd rather a character like Nick to get this. When has Nick had a story arc..never.

What a joke this show has become!

5. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

That was a season finale? What a crappy episode. Now that Haskell is dead, can we please start fresh next season?

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

He wasn't stabbing him, unless I totally missed something. He was punching him. Haskell died from a broken neck suffered in the fall, according to Doc.

I'm sorry, but if they don't resolve this in some major way next season, I can't ever watch it without totally hating Ray (the murderer) and Brass (the bad cop). It's just awful what the writers have done to the good characters of this show.

My manager came up to me this morning and said he was worried about me and wondered if I would be haunted all summer. :guffaw:

7. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Sounds good to me :):thumbsup::cool:

Yes, seen plenty of Darth Ray

You may be right about everyone has guilt over Warrick so they're trying to be more helpful to Ray, just too helpful

Yeah this is setting up if JF and LF decide to go, sounds like LF is staying, I think JF will but I don't know, and yes this will probably have something to do with Catherine's upcoming exit

I'd still be dissappointed and mad at Brass for covering for Griss, and I like Griss but there are times I don't agree with him either

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Now that I turned off IM at work, everyone's pissed. They said Catherine, Brass and Ray all suck. This is fun to watch them complain ;)

At the BEST you can say:
    Nick wasn't involved in that end of the case.
    Sara tried to find the evidence, but accepted Catherine's explanation.
    Dr. Robbins didn't investigate fully.
    Catherine knew and chose not to investigate.
    Greg wanted to spin it so Ray was in the clear.

Brass... Damn it. I love you, why did you have to do that? You're no longer my TV Boyfriend.

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

That'd be ideal :). The thing is it'd be very difficult to leave this behind as if nothing happened (not that I'm saying the writers are uncapable of leaving things hanging :rolleyes:) but this is really huge. This is a team who having really strong suspicions that another member of their team murdered someone decided to back him up. This is a team who now have to keep working with someone they know or strongly suspect killed someone else. Ray now has to work with these people knowing that he is a law enforcer who commited murder and allowed his collegues to put their jobs on the line for him. This is a Brass who actually commited a criminal act and has to live with that while still working with people with whom he has worked for years. It's a really tough situation to leave behind once the season starts because this is something that realistically should have repercussions in their relationships and they way they do their jobs. The writers have put us in the situation were if they don't follow through it's unrealistic and if they do we keep getting this crappy storyline. It's a no win situation.

I also wanted to say that it was so great when Ecklie went to get his kit and got down and dirty with the team :cool:. Also that Sara was really great in this episode. I wanted to smack all the others but Sara was really the most objective and professional one. Catherine started out the same but then ended up like all the others backing Ray when she knew something didn't add up; backing Brass too.

10. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

You know what gets me? The Brass seen in "For Warrick" wouldn't have done this. When he found Nick after the shot was fired and McKeen was on the ground, you could see in Brass's face that he was concerned about Nick and that he was afraid of what Nick might have done. Not once did I get the impression that he was going to find a loophole or whatever for Nick. I always felt Brass was concerned that he would have to take Nick in. Squeaky clean Brass. That's why I like(d) him.

Now we have this Brass who goes out of his damn way for Langston and is now no longer clean. I hate this show... :mad:

11. Smokey

I'm with you 100%. It was totally wrong for the writers to do this unless the show is ending, and even then it shouldn't end on a note like this! But now, how do we go forward pretending everything is okay when we know Ray is a cold blooded killer and the team is okay with it (or they would have fought harder to prove what they knew was the truth) and that Brass is now a bad cop? We can't. I can't. They'd better FIX this next season.

12. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

I feel the need to defend Brass. We know Brass is a good cop. We know that he doesn't allow rough interrogation techniques. We know that he wanted to pour bleach over Natalie's head to get Sara's location and that he threatened the dude at the impound lot in Dead Doll. We know he told Warrick to say nothing when he was found at Gedda's but that he wasn't entirely supportive of his "rogue cop" style. We know that he didn't say anything further when Nick said it was a "miss" when his gun was fired near McKeen. Whether he liked it or not, Brass did not report Nick to the best of our knowledge.

We know that there was no redeeming value what so ever to Haskell and that the autrocities done to Gloria would have caused anyone to want to seek their own personal vendetta. Without getting extremely philosophical about this, I think that Brass picking up the cuffs was more of a gut reaction than a conscious choice. And once having made that split second decision, there was no turning back.

While we all may feel it was wrong of him, I can sincerely see why he would have done that to protect a member of "his team" as he said.

13. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

You are right with what you said... BUT in this case he REALLY covered a murderer... in all the other moments where Brass supported 'his' team he wasn't supporting a murderer...

For God's sake... what have they done?! What did they do to our favorite show??? :(

14. Smokey

Right! I mean, report Nick for what? Giving McKeen a scare and not even touching him physically? Even if Brass picked up the cuffs out of instinct, he could have put them back. He could have even come clean to Catherine when she pressed him on it. :(

Supporting a team member is one thing. But committing a crime? The writers have crossed the line with this one, and I'm afraid there's no going back.

15. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

There is only one chance... Ray is telling the truth... and that might not happen because he will be there for the next season and I don't think we would see much of him if he was in jail for the murder on Haskell :(

It really pisses me off :scream: I haven't even watched it yet and somehow I doubt I ever will!!! I'm really asking myself why tptb did that... are they out of ideas? This is not CSI for me... this is rubbish!!! :(