"In a Dark, Dark House" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 4, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

04.18.2011 LURED TO THE HOUSE WHERE A SERIAL KILLER WAS BORN, LANGSTON SQUARES OFF WITH THE NOTORIOUS "DICK & JANE" KILLER, NATE HASKELL, ON THE 11th SEASON FINALE OF "CSI: CRIME SCENE
    INVESTIGATION," THURSDAY, MAY 12

Bill Irwin ("Rachel Getting Married") Returns as Serial Killer Nate Haskell;

Tracee Ellen Ross ("Girlfriends") Returns as Langston's Ex-Wife, Gloria

"In a Dark, Dark House" - After years of pursuit and a countless number of murders, Langston comes face-to-face with serial killer Nate Haskell inside the house where his killing spree began, on the 11th season finale of CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION, Thursday, May 12 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Bill Irwin ("Rachel Getting Married") returns as serial killer Nate Haskell, and Tracee Ellen Ross ("Girlfriends") returns as Langston's ex-wife, Gloria.

SERIES REGULARS:

Dr. Raymond Langston...... Laurence Fishburne
    Catherine Willows.............. Marg Helgenberger
    Nick Stokes................................ George Eads
    Captain Jim Brass....................... Paul Guilfoyle
    Sara Sidle......................................... Jorja Fox
    Greg Sanders.............................. Eric Szmanda
    Dr. Robbins......................... Robert David Hall
    David Phillips............................. David Berman
    Hodges................................ Wallace Langham

RECURRING CAST:
    Conrad Ecklie.................Marc Vann
    Henry Andrews...............Jon Wellner

GUEST CAST:

Nate Haskell..........................Bill Irwin
    Gloria Parkes.........................Tracee Ellis Ross
    Officer Mitchell......................Larry Mitchell
    I.A. Detective Schultz..............Jay Karnes
    Nora Parkes..........................L. Scott Caldwell
    Officer Metcalf.......................Joseph Patrick Kelly
    Officer Akers.........................Larry Sullivan
    Doctor Tanaka........................Paris Tanaka
    Warner Thorpe (8 yrs. old)..........Niko Baur
    Warner Thorpe (16 yrs. old).......Mason Davis
    Arvin Thorpe.........................Raymond J. Barry

WRITTEN BY: Tom Mularz
    DIRECTED BY: Jeff Hunt

2. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Using the spoiler tag just in case. Thanks to CSI-mole at Margamania...

Mrs. Parkes is Gloria's (Tracee Ellis Ross) mother, from Baltimore, Mrs. Parkes is deeply upset about her daughter's recent nightmare at the hands of serial killer Nate Haskell and places the blame squarely on Gloria's ex-husband, Ray Langston, whom she's clearly never liked. Prepared to take her daughter home to Baltimore as soon as she can travel, Mrs. Parkes is calmed down somewhat by a heart-to-heart with Catherine, after which she's able to view Langston with more sympathy and even warmth.

Mrs. Haskell is the wife of the traveling salesman young Warner Thorpe killed forty years ago, taking his clothes, his car and his name. Told the truth about her husband by Nick, Mrs. Haskell muses on her belief that her husband left her for another woman, all those years ago--a belief she clung to simply because it was easier to believe that he was alive.

Warner Thorpe Nate Haskell at age 8, a bit off, this little boy lying in his bed clutches a kitten as he listens tearfully to the sounds of domestic violence between his parents in the next room. The violence causes him to stop cuddling the kitten and view it with a dark curiosity.

Warner Thorpe Serial killer in the making, Nate Haskell seen at age 16 in 1976, wearing horn-rimmed glasses, he greets an appliance salesman at his front door, whom he later beats and kills up in his room. He takes off in the salesman's sweet car.

3. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Honestly do they want us to feel sorry for him cause I DO NOT!!

Plus why did they have to go rush Raskell and squeeze it all into the rest of the season, were they scared LF was leaving or are they just out of ideas?

4. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Thanks to CSI-Mole....very exciting. But yeah I agree, I don't want Haskell to become a "victim".

5. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

I think they're trying to make us sympathize, and make the character more believable and less a blanket 'he's evil!' which ... You can't do that in his LAST episode, you idiots! You have to build up to that, otherwise it's cheap, crummy, writing. SHOW, don't TELL. Give us an arc, or just give us bad-guy of the week!

Change the non-vitriol to sailor-based-verbiage for how I really feel. ;)

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This sounds somewhat similar to what they did in Living Doll when they went into Natalie's past. It was brief, but I thought it was well done with the flashbacks.
    I wonder if there will be any references to Sara's past. As far as I know, no one else but Grissom knows about her upbringing (in a home with domestic violence). That could make a really interesting angle for Sara in all this; that, plus the fact that, like Gloria, she was kidnapped by a serial killer with a vendetta against her lover, and not her directly.
    Like most here, I'm tired of Haskell and I'm not sure how plausible any of this is, but I'm trying to remain objective. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out, especially the aftermath.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Please tell me it doesn't show him hurt the kitten. :(

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

No need for spoiler tags in the thread. :) It's got the spoiler warning in the title.

9. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I agree, if that's what they are now trying to do, it should have taken an episode or two to set up. If they wanted people conflicted about Ray, then it would need to happen BEFORE he's allegedly killed, so as to make the viewer conflicted right along with the rest of the team. Again, that's only if that's what TPTB are intending. Right now I have no reason to feel sorry for him, and I only want him killed. Stick a fork in him, he's done!

GNRF, I am so with you there. It's bad enough to have to imagine it. I'm owned by 4 cats, so no thanks!

I read the multi quote help in the other thread, but for the life of me, I still can't get it to work :(
    And I thought I was pretty darned computer literate! :rolleyes:

10. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I think the difference here, in relation to what Ipstenu posted, is that Natalie wasn't seen until "Living Doll" and we were able to view her without prejudice. With Haskell, we're getting a sympathetic backstory way too late in the arc. A perfect time would have been at the trial. Now it seems tptb want us to feel bad for a monster as it lay dying. Not gonna happen.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Maybe the point of it isn't to make US sympathetic, but to possibly make some of the CSIs sympathetic having had similar life stories. Domestic violence between parents = Sara. And didn't Langston say one time that his father was abusive toward him?

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

That is so sickening and gross, killing a kitty-cat. [freaky] I feel bad if I brush my kitty boy Mr. Jinx to hard, I never even yell at him, so that's so unbeliveable:( I'm anxious to see where this is played out, city wise I mean. I realize it's L.A. but that's a big city, with many suburbs withn the city limits. But I bet the cast was happy to be close to home while filming this one;)

13. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

I don't think it's to generate sympathy for the character at all. Maybe just an answer to the question "How the heck did he get that way?!" i.e. not an excuse but an explanation. Which is what Natalie's story amounted to--an explanation.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

From the new TV Guide, issue May 9-15 Matt Roush picks his 5 fav. finales~ and No. 1 is CSI to read the other 4, this magazine will be out on the stands on May 6!

CSI's Langston fights the deadly Dick and Jane killer to rescue his ex. wife. If that doesn't earn a man a 2nd chance what would? an accompanying pic. of LF and Tracee Ellis Ross.. the season finale is on Thursday May 12 9:p.m

15. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Hmmmm really? Gives me a little more hope about the finale, wonder what the other four are: Grey's, NCIS, Bones, The Mentalist, The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-O??

You don't need to put it in spoiler tags DW :)