"In a Dark, Dark House" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 4, 2011.

1. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

I was thinking I missed something too, when I first heard Nate make the chaperone comment. After a second viewing, I just thought maybe Nate was saying it was the first time he and Ray had been alone together, at least until Nick showed up and Nate said something like "No fair". During the video portion of the class, there were all the students, and then while Nate was in custody helping on the Jekyll case, there was always a guard present. Of course, I can't be sure though.

Another question. I thought Ray was from back east, or did I get that wrong? :confused:
    I remember him saying his first date was with Gloria in Baltimore, but I guess that could have just been where he went to Med School.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Ray was a research pathologist at a hospital in Baltimore. That is where he met the angel of death that he wrote that book about..

3. Robinjn

Robinjn Prime Suspect

The spoilers for this episode say that Nate was a witness to domestic violence as a child. It says as a teen he beat a door-to-door salesman to death, then stole his car and assumed his identity. The salesman was his "first", not the first couple he killed.

Besides, Ray was born in Korea and spent part of his childhood there. His and Nate's paths did not cross until that day in the class room.

I don't think Nate hates Ray. I think he had Ray pegged as something of a kindred spirit/worthy adversary from day one. For the past couple of years, Ray has technically "won"--the CSI's have caught 2 of Nate's proteges, so he might be pissed about that. I really think Nate WANTS Ray to kill him, because if he does, then Nate has "won".

4. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Sounds very Return of the Jedi-ish. :lol:

As for "why Ray" - it's probably just as simple as "Ray's there" and "Haskell can." He's seen from the very start that he can get under Ray's skin; it probably amuses him to keep doing it. Then learning about the shared gene thing, just makes it even more fun, and adds the whole aspect of turning Ray to the "dark side."

5. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Heh. Yeah I can see that conversation. Haskell: "Yes! Let go of your hate! Strike me down and your journey to the dark side will be complete!" Ray: "Why are you doing this?! Why me!?!" Haskell: "Ray. Ray! I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate!" Ray: "That's not true! That's impossible!"

6. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

They haven't really given a rationale as too why he's gone so vehemently after Ray.
    I'd be interested to see if they explain why Haskell decided to target couples after killing the salesman. It's a complete change of MO's through the season which is a bit odd of a serial killer. I assume the Salesman was just a case of wrong place, wrong time.

7. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

^^ :guffaw:Oooh that made my day!:guffaw:

I can see that where Haskell wants Ray to kill him so he'll win and prove something and yeah finally turn him to the dark side

Part of that may go back to the murder gene thing in Targets of Obcession, why he wants to make Ray's life miserable may get answered on Thursday or not at all, part of me honestly doesn't care at this point

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

ROTJ and Spaceballs references for the win! :D

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

OK, I read way, waaay too much into the "chaperone" comment. I watched that part again today, and all Nate told Ray was that this wasn't their first date, just the first without a chaperone. Somehow, as I was watching, my imagination ran away with chaperone = school field trip. But of course there was nothing in the actual dialogue about that. Sorry I went off on that tangent!

It may have been that he had a specific purpose for his first victim: to assume his identity. All his subsequent victims may have been a way of acting out the abuse he witnessed as a child.

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

(Oops, sorry! Mods, feel free to delete.)

11. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Yeah i just assumed the salesman was a means to an end, but this whole thing has gone on so long that it's created so many more questions right when i was hoping they'd put it to bed. Hopefully they'll finish this storyline of in the finale and have done with it.

12. byline

byline CSI Level One

Same here! I will confess that after his two-episode introduction, I thought it was sad to waste a good character in a such a short story arc, and wouldn't it be neat to bring him back? Careful what you wish for. *sigh*

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

So YOU'RE to blame! :guffaw: Actually, I also thought he was extremely creepy when he was on screen in Ray's class, but now...he's too comical...too extreme. Last week those faces he was making at the carnival... :rolleyes:

Gotta say, I'm not too excited over the season finale. I remember last year it was crazy with the rumors about someone not surviving and a body bag and Jekyll holding people hostage. I could hardly wait for it, but this week just feels like a regular episode. :(

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Exactly! And yes, it's all my fault, LOL!:alienblush:

I'm feeling the same way. It seems we all know what's going to happen, so there's almost no suspense. Ray will kill Haskell, thus bringing this arc to a close. Hallelujah! As hubby says, "Just kill him already, so that we can get past this story!"

15. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

^^Agreed :/ Even tho the summer wait will be a killer we have next season to look forward to LOL